Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Lowen SoDium posted:

It was also awesome when someone started a combo move that you side stepped and then stuck them in the back after they had stepped past you. The back-grabbing pain animation was always awesome in that game.

The Toshinden games had their faults, but at the time they were stupidly fun to play. The character escapes me at the moment, but in Toshinden 3 there was a guy whose sword attack always sounded like IMPRESSIVE CREOLE :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus
Oct 11, 2004
Dirty Old Man
I don't think anyone's asked about this one already.

DOS or Windows 3.1. Pretty sure it used 5¼″ floppies. Vector graphics. First person adventure. There may have been a castle. I think there were different destinations because you had to wander through the landscape and it was easy to get lost. You could keep going in one direction seemingly forever, but I think some flying thing came and killed you if you were outside at night. I don't think there was a HUD, but you might have had a crossbow or sling or something. Hopefully I'm only thinking of one game...

Edit: Sorry, it was 2 games. Eternam had the flying things and maybe the endless scenery and another, older first person game with much simpler graphics and a castle. Pretty much nothing to go on, except I do remember using a crosshair to aim at something that turned out to be the drawbridge button. I'm sure the graphics were so primitive I had no idea what was going on.

Edit2: Fantastic, it is Castle Master. Thanks very much, wb.

Narcissus fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 30, 2010

wb
Nov 19, 2004
im cool

Narcissus posted:

Pretty much nothing to go on, except I do remember using a crosshair to aim at something that turned out to be the drawbridge button. I'm sure the graphics were so primitive I had no idea what was going on.

castle master?

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Satellit3 posted:

That's not what I'm thinking of either, again I definitely seem to recall better graphics and sound. I've googled everything I can think of like 100 times but I just don't remember enough about the game.

I found another one called Mach 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrqASifriBo

However I don't hear the weapons system telling you to "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" Is it possible you're mixing two games in your memory?

KentKarma
Feb 14, 2010

Darm posted:

A friend of mine is looking for a 2D side-scroller that was most likely for the SNES. Her memory is rather hazy but it featured a life bar made of 5 or so hearts, a first level going up or down a steep hill, a frost level in the sky, and a castle at the end that you were trying to get to the whole game story-wise. The hero resembled Megaman to a degree and it was a short game. I personally checked a list of SNES platformers on GameFAQs but I could not identify it sadly, so there's the slight possibility that it was for another system from the same console generation (the graphics were distinctly 16-bit).

I'm going to take a stab since I ran out of time to do research and say "Super Ghosts and Goblins"

I don't even think there was a frost or sky level in the game, but you are trying to get to a castle at the end and there isn't a health bar I dunno.

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
Ok this is a little weird but hopefully somebody can help me figure out what I played or how I played it!

Back in the n64's prime I would rent all kinds of games from blockbuster's. Being a kid, I would rent anything that caught my eye. One of those games was a Japanese baseball game that was completely awesome! Doing some internet research I am pretty sure what I played was

Chou Kuukan Night Pro Yakyuu King

I've really wanted to play this game again so I was interested in purchasing it, which is no problem, there are a couple to be had on ebay for cheap. The only problem is that you apparently need some sort of converter to play Japanese n64 games on an American n64.

The thing is, when I rented this game from Blockbusters I am sure I didn't use any kind of converter, it was like a regular n64 game that just happened to be all in Japanese.

How the heck was this possible? What did I play?

If I need to I will buy a converter but it just puzzles me that I didn't need one as a kid. Maybe it was some other game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's also possible that you may have been playing a game in the "Jikkyō Powerful Pro Yakyū" series, known as MLB Power Pros here in the US (there's a couple PS2 games that were localized, and are really awesome). It has an extremely similar art style, to the point where I think the game you're mentioning was a pretty big rip-off.

Does that ring more of a bell? I still don't know how it was possible to run it without a converter or any modification at all, N64s are not region free.

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!
The "region protection" on the n64 was a couple chunks of plastic that disallowed japanese games to fit into the slot. If you dremel them out or otherwise remove them, your n64 can play imports just fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cubear posted:

The "region protection" on the n64 was a couple chunks of plastic that disallowed japanese games to fit into the slot. If you dremel them out or otherwise remove them, your n64 can play imports just fine.

So I guess it's possible for a savvy video game rental store that gets imports to do the opposite and physically modify the japanese carts to work on american N64s?

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!
As long as they would fit into the slot, they would play. A lot of people imported Sin and Punishment because only the menus were in japanese.

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006
Cool, thanks for the help, I guess that is what they must have done. And what the hell - I'll just buy both baseball games, sounds like a fun way to spend a couple of evenings.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I remember seeing ages back a preview of a game for PSP that was an abstract platformer based around lines that had tonnes of perspective fuckery going on. Like you'd turn the camera and the new perspective of the level would be something you could walk on even if it didnt make any sense before, like an MC Escher thing, now I cant remember what it was called or if it even came out.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Three Red Lights posted:

I remember seeing ages back a preview of a game for PSP that was an abstract platformer based around lines that had tonnes of perspective fuckery going on. Like you'd turn the camera and the new perspective of the level would be something you could walk on even if it didnt make any sense before, like an MC Escher thing, now I cant remember what it was called or if it even came out.

echochrome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfICeBtVv8U

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's either that or Crush, which was a similar game. The MC Escher reference probably cements it as Echochrome, though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah that was it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cowcaster posted:

Dungeon Hack?

No, though that looks interesting. Not Eye of the Beholder either.

The screen layout was pretty much exactly Dungeon Master's layout, but the graphics were just...better. For example, take the 'hand' icon from Dungeon Master, with the exact same orientation and everything, except filled in, and with some soft shading.

If it makes any difference, the character portraits were actually kind of bland.

Also this may have been a demo, since I don't actually remember creating my characters. Instead they just started in the party already with generic names.

I'm starting to think I've gone crazy and simply imagined all this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MorbidYak posted:

Cool, thanks for the help, I guess that is what they must have done. And what the hell - I'll just buy both baseball games, sounds like a fun way to spend a couple of evenings.

And to go off topic for a bit, if you have a PS2 or Wii, you should certainly track down and play MLB Power Pros 2008 as well, especially if it's part of the series the game you played as a kid was in. It's the most fun I've had playing a baseball game in a long time.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't remember the name of an otherwise unremarkable retro graphics platformer that screwed with its players by breaking the game in subtle ways that varied from player to player, based on a number it calculated from stuff like your windows username. This resulted in players complaining about bugs that others weren't experiencing, including not being able to make the very first jump of the game. This was explained by the developer a while.

Also every room had its own name at the bottom (kind of like VVVVVV) and the game may have had 'castle' or 'dungeon' or such in the name.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Octaviar Polexa posted:

I can't remember the name of an otherwise unremarkable retro graphics platformer that screwed with its players by breaking the game in subtle ways that varied from player to player, based on a number it calculated from stuff like your windows username. This resulted in players complaining about bugs that others weren't experiencing, including not being able to make the very first jump of the game. This was explained by the developer a while.

Also every room had its own name at the bottom (kind of like VVVVVV) and the game may have had 'castle' or 'dungeon' or such in the name.
This was, in fact, simply called Dungeon.

pinkvishnu
Nov 4, 2009
Alright, this is really vague but about ten years ago I played this game where you had to line up marbles in rows, in this sort of box. The only specific thing I remember is that some of the levels were on a blacktop, with chalk outlining the rows of marbles. I think it may have been part of a group of games. Does anyone know from that incredibly ambiguous description what game I could be thinking of?

Edit: I'm an idiot, I figured out what it was minutes after posting this (it was 1997's Lose Your Marbles)

pinkvishnu fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 2, 2010

PaladinNasicom
Feb 15, 2005
"Only in mirrors do heroes find their equal."
I hoping this hasn't been mentioned so far in the 40 odd pages, but somehow I don't think so. I'm trying to remember the name of a game that was put out sometime in the 90's, possibly early 00's. It was a 3D castle/maze building game. I remember I used to build mazes upward, and could add things like gates that required switches be found. I don't remember if there was a campaign or anything, but I'm willing to bet there was. The menu was set up as some sort of castle's court yard, I think. There was a raven or a crow that sticks out in my memory, but I could be mistaken on that. I asked my grandma if she remembered it, and all she can recall is that it came in a value pack of games she got with a computer some decade or so ago. I remember the CD was blue. Or purple. I feel like "quest" was in the name, but I'm not positive on that either.

Halp :(

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone remember a game on the Wolfenstein 3D/Blake Stone engine (or similar tech), where you crash landed on a tropical island? You started out in a plane, and would move into the jungle, where a bunch of voodoo-esque zombies would attack you. I believe one of the weapons was a machete.

It probably had a really generic name like Escape From Zombie Island or something.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
There was an arcade game in which you would lie down as if you were on a bobsled, and the screen was right above your face. You could steer it around, and you raced through tubes at high speeds, a la F-Zero GX. There were cool rumble and possibly tilt effects, so if you slammed into a wall or the like, you really got jerked around. It was a cool game, but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Anyone remember a game on the Wolfenstein 3D/Blake Stone engine (or similar tech), where you crash landed on a tropical island? You started out in a plane, and would move into the jungle, where a bunch of voodoo-esque zombies would attack you. I believe one of the weapons was a machete.

It probably had a really generic name like Escape From Zombie Island or something.

Sounds like you're thinking of Isle of the Dead, 1993.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

PalmTreeFun posted:

There was an arcade game in which you would lie down as if you were on a bobsled, and the screen was right above your face. You could steer it around, and you raced through tubes at high speeds, a la F-Zero GX. There were cool rumble and possibly tilt effects, so if you slammed into a wall or the like, you really got jerked around. It was a cool game, but I can't remember what it was called for the life of me.

Could it be Tube Slider? It actually got a port to the Gamecube, if I'm recalling correctly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Sounds like you're thinking of Isle of the Dead, 1993.

Got it, thanks.

Edit: Oh, man, I can't believe I forgot about the animation sequences. The game itself looks lovely, but those are pretty great - especially the one where you exit the game. That poo poo would never fly today.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jul 3, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I'm looking for an iPhone game, where you tap a medieval catapult to fire shots on a castle. The game has a 2D side-view and uses a physics engine to properly collapse the castle.

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

all of your troubles are dead and gone~
Alright, I have a pretty obscure one that has been bugging me for a while. I'm not really sure why, I didn't spend a ton of time playing it, nor was it a large part of my childhood. It just keeps nagging me in the back of my head because not only can I not remember the name, I've never seen it pop up since.

It was on an old PSX demo disk (most likely Playstation Underground, but I'm not positive). I'm fairly certain it opened with a video that began with the Mortal Kombat scream, and a trailer of the game. It may have been Mortal Kombat 2. I remember this because I would always skip it as fast as I could because the scream always scared my little kid self. All of this may just be from another memory, but I'm fairly confident this was on the same disk.

The game itself was some sort of deathmatch game. It was viewed from the side with a static camera. The levels were only one screen, and the characters were really small. You could jump around and shoot the other AI characters. I'm fairly certain some, if not all, of the levels spun around slowly as you played. The characters themselves weren't really distinguishable apart from their clothing, which was different colors for each of the players. I don't think this was ever a very popular game, but if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE TELL ME. This is one of those things that has been bugging me for some reason.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Elijah. posted:

Alright, I have a pretty obscure one that has been bugging me for a while. I'm not really sure why, I didn't spend a ton of time playing it, nor was it a large part of my childhood. It just keeps nagging me in the back of my head because not only can I not remember the name, I've never seen it pop up since.

It was on an old PSX demo disk (most likely Playstation Underground, but I'm not positive). I'm fairly certain it opened with a video that began with the Mortal Kombat scream, and a trailer of the game. It may have been Mortal Kombat 2. I remember this because I would always skip it as fast as I could because the scream always scared my little kid self. All of this may just be from another memory, but I'm fairly confident this was on the same disk.

The game itself was some sort of deathmatch game. It was viewed from the side with a static camera. The levels were only one screen, and the characters were really small. You could jump around and shoot the other AI characters. I'm fairly certain some, if not all, of the levels spun around slowly as you played. The characters themselves weren't really distinguishable apart from their clothing, which was different colors for each of the players. I don't think this was ever a very popular game, but if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE TELL ME. This is one of those things that has been bugging me for some reason.

Blast Chamber?

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Blast Chamber?

Oh my god. You're brilliant. Thank you so much. I searched for hours and never found this. THANK YOU!

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Elijah. posted:

Oh my god. You're brilliant. Thank you so much. I searched for hours and never found this. THANK YOU!

I never even owned the game, but probably had the same demo disc as you. No idea why I even still remember it, hah.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Okay here's one that I only just thought of.

I think it was a 2D, sci-fi real-time strategy game that came out for PC during the mid 90s. Early on you were just controlling one hero-type character and probably a few other units, but I don't think it was Starcraft since I seem remember the game had pre-rendered (or maybe drawn?) backgrounds and Starcraft was tile based. I think there was also a mission early on where you had to defend your base for a certain amount of time, but I might be getting confused with Starcraft.

I think the earlier stages were set in a kind of arid deserty place with roads. Am I just thinking of Starcraft or is there something else that fits this description?

edit: FAQs tell me that the first few levels of Starcraft were in a 'wasteland' so it probably was that, but tell me if I'm wrong. I really could've sworn that the levels were like big images you walked on or something.

Xythar fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 6, 2010

Flying High
Jan 7, 2010
There was a game that was for the SNES system that was a RPG, but not something made by squaresoft or someone like that. It was base around cards or something like that, and alot of the themes was about Tomatos. It was single player, and was a action RPG like The Legend of Zelda, but it showed the number of health you had.

All that I could remember about the game there...

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Flying High posted:

There was a game that was for the SNES system that was a RPG, but not something made by squaresoft or someone like that. It was base around cards or something like that, and alot of the themes was about Tomatos. It was single player, and was a action RPG like The Legend of Zelda, but it showed the number of health you had.

All that I could remember about the game there...

This must be Twisted Tales of Spike McFang:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yibHgLWyYOg

Xythar: This sounds like one of the Dark Colony games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ByIYt_Wp4I

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Morpheus posted:

So I'm looking for a game that looks almost exactly like Dungeon Master in every way, except that the graphics were better. Also, each character had a face next to their hands. I remember the art of these faces being very...what's the word...soft? There weren't any hard lines, it was very soft shading. I don't remember anything else, since I sucked at the game, unfortunately. Oh, the 'hand' icons were also colored in, not the line-art stuff in these screenshots I'm seeing.

What year was this, can you give a close approximation? There's been quite a lot of games in that vein over the years.

Some examples have already been said, such as Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack, but what about Black Crypt?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/black-crypt

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

There's this old game that I've had a really hard time finding again. It's from the Windows 95 era, I think and it was freeware.
It was a puzzle-platformer where you played as a little wizard and went around pulling levers and collecting items (I think). I remember it as really hard but it might have been because I last played it when I was like 8 years old.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Public Enema posted:

There's this old game that I've had a really hard time finding again. It's from the Windows 95 era, I think and it was freeware.
It was a puzzle-platformer where you played as a little wizard and went around pulling levers and collecting items (I think). I remember it as really hard but it might have been because I last played it when I was like 8 years old.

Maybe Hocus Pocus
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/hocus-pocus/

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I remember seeing a trailer for an upcoming game about a year ago. It was some kind of action/survival game set in a big city after a massive earthquake. The trailer showed the earthquake, some buildings collapsing, and very little else.

I remembered thinking it looked like a cool game, but have since completely forgotten what it was called. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Elijah.
Feb 11, 2007

moron posted:

I remember seeing a trailer for an upcoming game about a year ago. It was some kind of action/survival game set in a big city after a massive earthquake. The trailer showed the earthquake, some buildings collapsing, and very little else.

I remembered thinking it looked like a cool game, but have since completely forgotten what it was called. Can anyone refresh my memory?

Probably I Am Alive. It was revealed at E3 two years ago, and I remember reading an article a few months ago saying it was either canned or extremely delayed. It's a shame too, the game sounded really neat.

Edit: It was scrapped, and they are starting over completely using the new Splinter Cell engine. There was a trailer at E3 2010, but it was essentially the same as the first trailer.

Elijah. fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Keru posted:

What year was this, can you give a close approximation? There's been quite a lot of games in that vein over the years.

Some examples have already been said, such as Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack, but what about Black Crypt?

Nope :(

Year...hard to say because I lived overseas in Korea when I played it, so it could've been anywhere from 1987 to 1995 or something when it actually came out.

Oh wait I kind of remember something...there was a single town that you could visit, it was above the dungeon. The town was presented to you in the same first-person view, so you could walk around, enter stores (though the stores were just a menu), and visit houses before you went up to the big door that led down into the dungeon.

But I'm positive the four party members you had were displayed across the bottom of the screen (though it might've been the top, all these games I'm looking at might be coloring my memories).

You know the only thing I can think of is that this game was shareware or something, which is why it's so drat hard to find.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jul 12, 2010