Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Neilpeartnoy should watch Network.

Took me a month to get around to watching Das Boot with the World Cup being on for the past month and it being so long. I should've asked whether to watch the theatrical or the miniseries/super-extended version but the latter was the version I borrowed so that's the one I watched. 4hours 42 minutes later (plus half an hour for dinner) and yeah, great film. Entertaining all the way through even the slow parts and assuming the primary aim of the film is depiction of life as a submariner and it's a viewpoint you don't to see often.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Casablanca - Literally no idea why I've never watched this, perhaps it's just so well-known that it isn't a case where I've decided to go and seek it out.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

Come and See - Probably depressing as gently caress.
Das Boot - Very long and I've never been impressed with the director's Hollywood work but then I've repeatedly been told it was great.
The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noxville, I give you Casablanca

Well, Godzilla was certainly not what I expected. Which is both a good thing and a bad one. The effects hold up well enough to be enjoyable and I was pleased to see it wasn't just a monster movie and actually tried to make some larger points. Unfortunately, I also though it was incredibly clumsy when making those points. The human penchant for war, the aftermath of destruction the human cost, the double edged sword of science, political interference, these are all complex subjects and the film spreads itself too thin trying to tackle them all. Not that it couldn't be done, but you'd need more than 90 minutes, stronger characterization and a much more organized plot. And yeah the science was ridiculous but that didn't bother me much.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

Those are the only two films in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

FitFortDanga posted:

Hou is kind of boring in general, but this is one of the duller ones. I'd go with A Summer at Grandpa's, Good Men, Good Women, City of Sadness or Flowers of Shanghai.
Ok, I'll take your advice. The only reason I chose it was that it was high in the TSPDT list and was shorter than City of Sadness.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I know it's been stated, but PA, you are flying through these movies at a hell of an impressive rate. I've been with this thread since page three and I've only gotten around to watching two so far.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

caiman posted:

I know it's been stated, but PA, you are flying through these movies at a hell of an impressive rate. I've been with this thread since page three and I've only gotten around to watching two so far.

I just counted... he's done 23 already. I'll be doing my fourth tonight.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

23?! :wth:

Someone needs to get him a giftcard or something.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

penismightier posted:

23?! :wth:

Someone needs to get him a giftcard or something.

I read "giftcard" as "girlfriend" and laughed. But I suppose either could work.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wow, I was thinking maybe 15 or so. It has been a month though, and I find that I generally spend a disproportionate amount of my movie time trying to decide what to watch, so it's nice to have other people make that decision for me, within the confines of stuff I actually want to watch.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

FitFortDanga posted:

I just counted... he's done 23 already. I'll be doing my fourth tonight.

I think I've done 3, and there is literally no excuse for me not to watch the 4th. I want to watch it, I have it on Netflix instant view, I just...haven't. I am ashamed to admit that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

VorpalBunny posted:

I think I've done 3, and there is literally no excuse for me not to watch the 4th. I want to watch it, I have it on Netflix instant view, I just...haven't. I am ashamed to admit that.

The best part is when you got it 3 weeks ago you said "this I could bang out later this evening!" Go watch it and lose that shame.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I've finished my movie but man...someone else do Peaceful Anarchy; I've had him twice in a row. I want to recommend a movie I genuinely love.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

VorpalBunny, you haven't watched Paths of Glory yet? You fucker.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Arkane posted:

I've finished my movie but man...someone else do Peaceful Anarchy; I've had him twice in a row. I want to recommend a movie I genuinely love.

He should watch Berlin Alexanderplatz, it's got a good Criterion release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I'll do PA, just give me a few minutes to finish my Iron Giant write-up

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

penismightier posted:

VorpalBunny, you haven't watched Paths of Glory yet? You fucker.

I know, I was so excited when I saw it was less than 90 minutes. I even have ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST from Netflix that I was going to pair with my GOOD BAD & UGLY viewing.

I am terrible. I've had DEAD RINGERS from Netflix for something like 3 months now. My DVR is just more pressing - I have all 10 episodes of THE PACIFIC saved and I swore to myself I'd get through them ASAP. So, that means sometime in the next month.

I disgust me.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Just watch it, you bastard. You could've squeezed it in between your last two posts in this thread. WATCH IT. WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTT

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

penismightier posted:

Just watch it, you bastard. You could've squeezed it in between your last two posts in this thread. WATCH IT. WATCH ITTTTTTTTTTT

I actually watched an episode of THE SOUP and an episode of LIFE (the doumentary from a few months ago), both on my DVR, between posts. I am not a complete slacker!

But yeah, I suck. I won't post in here again until I watch it.

:ughh:

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
If The Soup were a movie, it'd be the sole inhabitant of my Tier 11.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ah poo poo, I forgot to watch The Soup. Good thing they re-run it a billion times.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Olympia I don't think Triumph of the will is that great so this isn't something I've made much of an effort to watch it but I do have a nagging curiosity to see it.

I don't think Triumph is that great, either. Olympia is. Watch it.

The Iron Giant - Hey, I remember when this was a lovely Pete Townshend album. This movie (executive produced by Townshend) is a slightly better attempt at the material. Very nice animation and the titular character has some charm to him. On the one hand, I had some nagging questions about him, but in the end I was happier that he was left ambiguous. The film's heart is in the right place -- a celebration of peaceful resolution and condemnation of cold war paranoia -- even if it's not executed with much depth or finesse. The real dealbreaker for me is the protagonist: an obnoxious, grating, poorly-acted little boy. I just can't get with that, I was constantly wishing he would shut up. I also have to say I didn't find the gags very funny, nor was I particularly moved when I was supposed to be. But I enjoyed the overall spirit of the thing. Rating: 6

updated list:

The Haunting - This is supposed to be good, right? Robert Wise is hit or miss with me, but I've liked all his film noir.

Dolemite - I saw Petey Wheatstraw and hated it, but I've since learned that it's considered to be one of the worst Rudy Ray Moore movies. I love House Party, it'd be nice to have a reference point for the Dolemite jokes.

Plan 9 from Outer Space - Maybe my greatest shame of all, I've never actually seen an Ed Wood movie. The same way some people say about Rear Window and Casablanca, I feel like I've gleaned all of this movie from pop culture, but I should still see it once.

Two English Girls - The only Truffaut movie I haven't seen. I would have gotten to it eventually, now you can force me to!

A Tanú - My highest PSI at Criticker.

Wings of Hope - A film by Herzog I haven't seen yet. If I like it enough, it might make my 2000 consensus votes.

Mon oncle d'Amerique - I was going to watch it anyway, and again it could make my 1980 picks.

Le roi et l'oiseau - Another contender for 1980.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

FitFortDanga posted:

8 1/2. There's a reason it ends up near the top of so many lists. I generally try to avoid making grandiose, sweeping statements, but I would go so far as to say if you don't like 8 1/2, you don't really like movies.

Interesting, for some reason I was always under the impression that it wasn't all that accessible. I'll put it as an either-or when I update my list.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I wish there were more good movie musicals. There are so many really incredible stage musicals that got clunky film adaptations, it just kills me. Cabaret, Sweeney Todd, West Side Story...and that's not even mentioning the great musicals that don't have film versions. It's a miracle Sunday In The Park With George was videotaped.

If you like Sweeney Todd, try and track down the taping of the early 80s performance with George Hearn, Angela Lansbury, et al. It completely blows that Tim Burton poo poo out of the water.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I own that on like three different formats. And you're right, it beats the hell out of Burton's version, which I stopped giving leeway to after the castrated version of God That's Good (and no, I don't like it). The stage version is actually grimier and more convincingly "period" than the film, somehow.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
After myself finding 8 1/2 a bit too 'easy' of a film (and troubled that I liked - but didn't love - a film so adored), I found solace in the fact that Pauline Kael penned this notion many moons ago.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
FitFortDanga, watch Dolemite! It's really fun, and within the blaxploitation genre there's really no movie that does what it does as well as it does.

I enjoyed Dr. Strangelove thoroughly. Very funny and gorgeous to look at. The humor was extremely up my alley. Two things I noticed: One, I'm convinced that Daniel Stern was channeling Turgidson in Rookie of the Year, just slightly more retarded. Two, how many loving movies and bands and more have aped the opening title lettering? Jesus christ. The minute they came up, I was like 'so THAT'S where those came from!'

1) The Godfather Trilogy or The Conversation or The Rain People
2) Casablanca
3) ANY Fellini movies. Just pick one for me to start with and I'll watch it.
4) To Kill a Mockingbird
5) The Seven Samurai or Ikiru
6) Harvey
7) Blade Runner
8) Harold and Maude
9) Schindler's List or Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind
10) Full Metal Jacket or Lolita or The Shining

Finally watched so far: Mean Streets, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Night of the Hunter, Dr. Strangelove

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
Codyclarke, watch The Godfather. From what I've heard, you can probably skip the third one though.

As for Star Wars, I blame my parents for not introducing this to me as a kid, because I couldn't even imagine seeing this without knowing anything else about it. Even knowing pretty much all of the plot, I was still sitting there excited like I was eight years old again. Space battles! Blasters! :swoon: Han Solo!

Anyway, my updated list:

quote:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Internal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Star Wars. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Vertigo, assuming you don't have a fear of wild crustaceans, you should watch Annie Hall. Brilliant comedy. Also, between me and you, it's Infernal Affairs (everyone makes that mistake).

Alright, my movie recommendation was - much to my dismay - a musical entitled Singin in the Rain. While acknowledging that I zoned out in pretty much every dance number (aside from the titular scene & the sequence where they copied Joseph Gordon-Levitt), the movie was actually really good. Through a clever script/story and pleasant characters, the film does an excellent job at bringing a smile to your face. It's probably impossible to watch the movie without grinning at least a few times and rooting for the main characters. Nice one on the recommendation.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - Since childhood, I've yearned to see this polemic of the elephant planet ruled by the wayward astronaut.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Another Nichols work...and considering I've seen neither Elizabeth Taylor nor Richard Burton in a movie, might as well start at the top.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard of the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

Arkane fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 10, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Oh you got lucky Arkane. You go watch Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Olympia See, now this is artistic propaganda. The first part is an absolute work of beauty. From the Greek ruins in the opening to the final shots of the closing ceremonies, nearly every shot is beautiful and watching 74 year old competitions is surprisingly exciting. The crowd reactions, the slow motion athletic movements, even the biased German announcing create a package of the best in human achievement with a visible cloud of the worst to come. I really can find little wrong here.

The second part is still very good but much more uneven. Where the first was track and field this one is everything else, and seems to have a really strange fixation on horse riding. Opens with a creepy montage of naked men, it then goes on to dutifully go through the events, but with much less editing prowess than the first part. The horse riding, mentioned earlier, features an awful lot of disaster which is at odds with the grace and beauty of everything else. It is kind of funny though. It's also much more propagandistic, the most glaring example being showing an 8-1 field hockey rout of Germany by India as a tough 1-1 draw. Magnificent ending with the diving though, those 8 minutes absolutely worth it.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it.

Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Soy Cuba Well gently caress, I need to see more Kalatozov and this is probably his most renowned film. I've put it off because I'd heard the propaganda was too blunt, but at this point I don't care.

Ossessione I started watching this one once but got interrupted. I liked the 15 or so minutes I saw and I like Visconti in general, so I'm not sure why I haven't gotten back to it.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

Bad Day at Black Rock I know nothing about this. It's a western apparently.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: watch Bad Day at Black Rock. It is a western (although not a period piece). I didn't really know anything about it going into it either, but it's pretty cool, and Spencer Tracy is awesome. Also it's .091 Berlin Alexanderplatzes long.

So I watched Scenes from a Marriage and it was good. Bergman can always amaze me with the awful poo poo his characters can do to each other (and some of the not awful things too). There's definitely a certain feel to a lot of the later Bergman films (like this one and Autumn Sonata and Cries and Whispers).

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy - I thought about just sticking the first one in here, but what the hell I guess I'll go for all three. I don't plan on marathoning through them all, though. I don't really know much about these, except that they're supposed to be really good and that they're French/Polish co-productions (or something like that). I've never seen anything by Kieslowski

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition - Never really watched anything by Miike, but I'm willing to give him a chance

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism posted:

Also it's .091 Berlin Alexanderplatzes long.

I must admit, this is an appealing feature at the moment.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
dotCommunism (second time in a row, fancy that) you're going to watch Audition. I'm not sure if it's the best introduction to Miike, but it's creepy as gently caress, so v :) v

Just finished North by Northwest, which was drat good. It took me a bit to get into, since I don't really care for mistaken identity plots (hoping I'll warm up to this as I watch more Hitchcock) but after the train scenes I was completely hooked. It kept getting better and better, and while it wasn't the most unpredictable movie, it was still a great ride. Also kept going past when I thought it would stop, which was a pleasant surprise. I'm glad I got the anniversary blu-ray, I have a feeling I'll be watching this one quite a few more times.

Adhesion posted:

Touch of Evil: Welles is one of those important filmmakers that I've only seen one or no films by (guess which one in this case), which is probably going to be a recurring theme here.

Night of the Hunter: This one slipped under my radar I guess, I don't really know much of anything about it aside from how good it is and indirectly via its influence.

M: Just saw the restored Metropolis (only Lang I've seen of course), which was great but more heavyhanded than what I remembered from when I watched it the first time. Hoping this is a bit better.

Modern Times: Haven't seen any Chaplin movies, might as well start here.

North by Northwest
Vertigo: More Hitchcock, why not.

The Apartment: Haven't seen any Wilder movies either.

Amarcord or 8 1/2: Again, have yet to see any Fellini.

Ikiru: I love the few Kurosawa films I've seen, and this actually isn't one of the ones my local theatre is showing for his centennial, so that works out well (in that I won't have much of an excuse to put it off until then).

Pierrot le fou: Guess how much Godard I've seen! (Hint: it is a small, round number.)

On the Waterfront: Another well-acclaimed older film I don't know much about.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ikiru for you Adhesion

So this was a Western, huh? I guess it does kind of play out as one and is set in the west. Whatever you call it, though, it's wonderful. Really tight pacing, wonderful performances and strong finish. Spencer Tracy especially plays his role just right.

Updated list:

Ceddo I want to see more African films, I think I've only seen two in my life.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Soy Cuba

I haven't seen any of your 10 but I'm planning to watch this. So I'll say this.

The Lives of Others-

There weren't many likable characters in this film. On one hand you have paranoid secret police/political goons and on the other you have whiny artists with a peter jackson impersonator. Both of these teams live a sad existence. The artists are bugs under a microscope hoping to avoid being smashed by the state and the government is comprised by nothing more than voyeuristic, soulless, self-serving automatons.

I get disgusted every time I think of the Berlin wall. Mainly because we have wall building proponents amongst us today and we're building walls like this in Iraq right now. We cheered back in 1989 when it fell but now we're building our own walls?

The movie is depressing and the fact that the so-called "hero" gets a book dedicated to him near the end seems trite and is not much of a consolation.

When the secret police guy gave a rundown on the printer types registered I couldn't help but recall the recent printer scandals that print yellow identifying dots that can track down what printer printed them out, where it was purchased etc.

I will say that this movie evoked a lot of political feelings out of me so it'd be good for a discussion piece..but overall it was not an enjoyable experience.

And I watched Once Upon a Time in the West -

I've seen the "Dollars Trilogy" so it was interesting seeing a Leone western without Eastwood and Van Cleef but I'd still prefer those two over this cast. Overall I found this also to be a little depressing. And Henry Fonda as one of the villains? I kept picturing the nice old senile man from On Golden Pond.

Sound effects are prominent in this film.

New List:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#40 Vertigo - I've seen a big chunk of this on TV but not from beginning to end.

#44 Amélie - I've seen this one discussed frequently and also on many top lists but kind of forgot about seeing it.

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it. The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
@Zogo: Go with Vertigo. If you like Hitchcock's stuff, it's one of his best.

Lawrence of Arabia - I don't typically like period epics, and this is the one most people think of when you say "period epic."

The Searchers - I kind of lumped this in with classic westerns, which I tend to dislike for the most part. Also why I haven't seen High Noon. I do like a lot of revisionist Westerns, so I should probably watch more of the all-time greats.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Have caught most of it on TV at various points, so it's low on the priority list

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Same as To Kill

Bonnie and Clyde - No reason, really. I've heard its reputation outstrips its actual quality, so it didn't seem pressing.

Mean Streets - I'm pretty much working through Scorsese in reverse chronological order, and this is his last "great" movie I've yet to watch

Paths of Glory - Last big Kubrick that I haven't seen. War movies tend to hit on a lot of the same themes, so I sometimes won't actively seek them out.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Heard conflicting things about it.

Papercannon
Aug 23, 2007
A temporary gathering of bits

morestuff posted:

Paths of Glory

I think you'll be surprised by this film, not only is it beautifully shot, but it's a complex drama with great performances all around.

My list is a little different. I'm down to the last 10 of the top 250 and I want to know which movie I should watch last (to end on a high note) as well as which I should watch next.

1. To Kill a Mocking Bird I feel like I saw part of this when I was young but don't remember much. I liked the book though.

2. Bicycle Thieves I saw the first 10-20 min of this and got interrupted, it seemed pretty good although a little slow.

3. Heat Don't know much about it but unfortunately have seen the ending.

4. The Sixth Sense I haven't liked any of the other Shyamalan movies I've seen including signs, so I've been putting this one off.

5. Wild Strawberries I loved the Seventh Seal and I suspect I'll really like this as well, although I haven't seen any other Bergman.

6. Amores Perros I know absolutely nothing about this movie other than maybe it has the guy from science of sleep, y tu mama tambien in it.

7. Dog Day Afternoon Have also seen the first 10-20 minutes. Network was incredible and I liked 12 Angry Men as well so I hope this will be great.

8. The Secret In Their Eyes I haven't been really impressed with a lot of Best Foreign film oscars so I've been hesitant about this one.

9. The Hustler I'm a big fan of Paul Newman but I don't know anything about this movie, and I've had a lot of difficulty getting my hands on it from rental places.

10. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf I saw AO Scott's Critics Pick on this and it looks amazing. I haven't seen/read the play either.

annnd I just realized I still have to see How to train your dragon

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Papercannon posted:

My list is a little different. I'm down to the last 10 of the top 250 and I want to know which movie I should watch last (to end on a high note) as well as which I should watch next.

It's not my turn to recommend yet, but if you want to end on a high note, end with Wild Strawberries. I'm not just saying that as a Bergmanophile either. The others are all good, but Wild Strawberries is the perfect "high note".

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I was gonna say the same thing, it's both thematically appropriate and one of Bergman's best films in general.

Mr. George Kaplan
Jan 4, 2010

I'm in the middle of a major business transaction here and--

Papercannon posted:

7. Dog Day Afternoon Have also seen the first 10-20 minutes. Network was incredible and I liked 12 Angry Men as well so I hope this will be great.
It is great. Enjoy.

I'll jump right in here. I decided not to pick any of the 144 movies in my netflix queue since I'd eventually get around to those.

A Nightmare on Elm Street – I’ve seen most horror classic by now but have never had any interest in this movie.

Amadeus – I was underwhelmed by the play and so I haven’t been especially inspired to see the film.

Das Boot – Nabbed this one from the imdb top 250. I don’t watch a lot of war movies even though on the rare occasion I do watch I often times love them, including Letters From Iwo Jima, Apocalypse Now, Downfall and Joyeux Noël.

The Godfather Part II – I didn’t have any desire to watch a sequel after the first one. Call me crazy.

The Karate Kid – Recently a friend of mine informed me this is actually a worthwhile film. I was under the impression it was not.

The Maltese Falcon – I love film noir detective stories to death but haven’t seen this. I know not why.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) – Watched the original and I keep putting off seeing the remake even though I love Hitchcock.

Pi – I once lied and said I saw this. I did not.

Saving Private Ryan – I like Spielberg’s serious work but have avoided this since my grandfather (who was at Normandy the day after D-Day) said it was horrifying.

To Kill a Mockingbird – I keep telling myself I’ll read the book first since I rightfully should have by now but I just never do. I’m waiting for someone to tell me to just watch the movie already.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
I got around to watching TRON in a theater of all places, and enjoyed the hell out of it. The dialogue is wonderfully horrible and the movie is so very Disney, but it's a very fun movie. I was expecting it to be like an hour's worth of those ridiculous laser bikes, but they were such a small part. The computer graphics, while dated, were actually a bit more artistic than I thought the movie would be. The only thing that really bugged me were some plot holes: why wouldn't MCP just kill or assimilate Jeff Daniels as soon as he got inside? Why did the MCP side allow the User-believers to participate in these games and not just straight out assimilate/kill them?

It's pretty unique as far as scifi goes, I'm sure as a kid I would have loved the world they created but as an adult I just couldn't get absorbed into it. I still enjoyed the movie, the intentional and unintentional humor throughout is great enough for me to recommend anyone that hasn't seen this movie. The directing was pretty standard, nothing subtle or truly artistic in this one. The acting was solid enough, Jeff Daniels played his roll out perfectly very goofy and fun and David Warner was a solid choice for Dillinger/Sark (although he played that kind of character better in Time Bandits). I couldn't get too caught up in the story but if I just let myself be entertained by it, I got a kick out of most scenes. And it was paced very well, I didn't feel any scenes being drawn out. Overall I'm going to give this a 7.2/10 I'm curious to see what Tron Legacy turns out to be.

Admin Understudy posted:

1. The Seventh Seal - I've started to watch this probably 5 times and for one reason or another just haven't gotten more than 10 minutes in. I feel like the movie can probably just be summed up in its basic premise and can't see how it goes on for 2 hours.
2. Lost Highway I'm a huge David Lynch fan, I love the dark artsy feel...I just don't see this one having the same feel and I don't know why but it strikes me that this one will come off as a dated movie and not be as timeless as his others.
3. Tron It has to just be campy sci-fi? But is it enjoyable campy sci-fi?
Chunking Express I've heard great things about Wong Kar Wai but have never seen anything by him. This is supposed to be a classic, and it sounds like a great movie.
4. Hearts of Fire I love Bob Dylan, I've listened to countless bootlegs, read plenty of biographies, enjoyed I'm Not There and have had a couple fellow Dylan fans tell me it's worth watching...but it looks absolutely terrible.
5. Encounters at the End of the World I'm not a Herzog fanatic but I do enjoy his movies consistantly, I just don't see what could make this film as great as my friends make it out to bee. I get that it was super challanging to shoot and that's impressive but is it really a film that everyone NEEDS to see?
6. Nightmare on Elm Street I was never a fan of horror but over the years I've seen all the lovely popular ones except this. I feel like I know the gimmick, he can kill you in your dreams, and then after that it's just horror movie cliches.
7. Mad Max I am conflicted on Mel Gibson, I can enjoy him in an action role but I really don't like him as an actor in general. I assume quality acting isn't really the reason to watch this movie, but my disdain for Mel Gibson is pretty much what has kept me away from this movie.
8. The Deer Hunter Pretty much just never found time to to watch this one. I've seen the iconic russian roulette scene, probably severely out of context and didn't ever make it a priority.
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox I really enjoy Wes Anderson's movies, but kind of went through an "anti kid movie" phase over the past couple years. So I let this one slip by, I'd like to watch it at some point but in all honesty I feel like I could let a couple more years pass.
10. The Man Who Wasn't There Another of the big directors I like, I believe this is the only Coen Brothers movie I've never seen (apart from Intolerable Cruelty...which is way lower on this list). I know I'm probably terribly wrong, but the premise just makes it sound like a mundane Fargo.

Mr. George Kaplan posted:

To Kill a Mockingbird – I keep telling myself I’ll read the book first since I rightfully should have by now but I just never do. I’m waiting for someone to tell me to just watch the movie already.

The book is at, what, an 8th grade reading level? Read a different book. The movie is a pretty stellar adaptation, Gregory Peck is absolutely amazing in this movie, so here you go: Watch this movie already.

Admin Understudy fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jul 12, 2010

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Admin Understudy should watch The Seventh Seal since his idea of what the film is surely means he's never watched past the opening scene on the beach.

I watched Casablanca, super-entertaining film. Bogart owns, Claude Rains owns, Ingrid Bergman is too beautiful. Really my only gripe is not enough Peter Lorre, but you can't have everything.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Sunset Boulevard - I seem to remember watching it once while ill and tired but remember virtually nothing so I really need to see it again.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 13, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Noxville, Sunset Boulevard is your next film.

Soy Cuba So this is propaganda? I guess it is but frankly it didn't bother me at all. It's agonizingly beautiful and the slice of the Cuban revolution shown through the eyes of students and farmers is really wonderfully done. Really, my only complaint is that it's a little long and sensory overload begins to kick in towards the end.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Go with Ossessione - I haven't seen any of the films you're listing, so may as well go with one you said you've enjoyed part of.

Paths of Glory - Kubrick's typical eye for detail and flair shows up here in spades. Not that he didn't do a fantastic job in color, as well, but his black and white cinematography blew me away in both this and The Killing. Are any of his movies prior to this one worth tracking down?

The mix of English and American actors playing French soldiers was a little jarring at first, but Douglas and the rest of the cast put in a fine performance. The final scene is maybe a little too heavy-handed, but that's a minor complaint.

Revised list

Lawrence of Arabia - I don't typically like period epics, and this is the one most people think of when you say "period epic."

The Searchers - I kind of lumped this in with classic westerns, which I tend to dislike for the most part. Also why I haven't seen High Noon. I do like a lot of revisionist Westerns, so I should probably watch more of the all-time greats.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Have caught most of it on TV at various points, so it's low on the priority list

The Bridge on the River Kwai - Same as To Kill

Bonnie and Clyde - No reason, really. I've heard its reputation outstrips its actual quality, so it didn't seem pressing.

Mean Streets - I'm pretty much working through Scorsese in reverse chronological order, and this is his last "great" movie I've yet to watch

Bicycle Thieves - For whatever reason, I've never seen any Italian neo-realist movies. I guess Fellini just filled my Italian movie quota.

Breakfast at Tiffany's - Heard conflicting things about it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 13, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

morestuff watch The Bridge on the River Kwai, then when you like it you'll be more receptive to Lawrence of Arabia

Maybe I'm just having a restless day today, but this is another one that would have been better with a good 20 minutes less running time. It's one of those love stories where right from the start you get the feeling that things won't end well and the rest of the film is a slow burn trying to see if the characters can escape their fate. I like suspense and tension quite a bit, but even when the writing is on the wall I'd like characters to have agency. The moment I get the sense an ending will occur because the filmmaker dictates it rather than the actions of the characters I just want the film to get on with it and show me how it's going to happen. That issue aside it is a pretty good film and for an hour and a half I was fully engaged even while the writing was on the wall. Visconti's cinematographic prowess is still in its infancy but there are glimpses of what was to come and as an early example of neorealism I like it a lot more here than when it's used for weepy melodrama.

Updated list:
Greed 4 hour silent, I wonder why I haven't seen it? Also, trying to figure out which version to watch is a good excuse to put off watching it. It's also the only film in the TSPDT top 150 I haven't seen.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

Hoop Dreams I really don't watch many documentaries, this is one of the few I own and haven't seen. I hear it's really good, but it's also 3 hours and about basketball, not a subject I care much about.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 13, 2010