Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Owsla posted:

I have a first gen touch I want to sell to someone at my job and I'd like to restore it to factory settings first.

The last time I updated the firmware on it everything seemed to slow down, switching from portrait to landscape lags like crazy now etc, is there is a preferred firmware for the first gen? Can I just install the latest version and have it run smoothly again?

That happened when I upgraded to OS 2.0. Try reinstalling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Well, I left my iPod at the gym, and its gone, which sucks. I had it more than four years and its like losing an old friend.

Then again, it means i can get a new one. The apple website gives a free engraving, which brings me here. I need something super snappy, funny or cool to put on the back.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Wait 2 months. New iPod Touch expected mid-September

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010
Won't the price go up with it, though?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Come on, everyone knows Apple doesn't work that way. You get long updates between product refreshes, then new model comes out at the same price. If anything hasn't the Touch gone DOWN in price from $230 to $200 for the 8GB model?

Selavi
Jan 1, 2010

Astro7x posted:

Come on, everyone knows Apple doesn't work that way. You get long updates between product refreshes, then new model comes out at the same price. If anything hasn't the Touch gone DOWN in price from $230 to $200 for the 8GB model?

Um... I... wouldn't... know... But thanks for the condescending response.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have a 3G 32GB Touch, and I have noticed recently (maybe due to the iOS 4 upgrade) is that it randomly drops and raises the volume on songs. Maybe once an hour. Just notice the music going quiet, then a couple of seconds later the volume returns to normal. Anyone else noticed that?

The Touch is running off its battery when this happens. I have not noticed it happen when charging.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice

LaptopGun posted:

Wait 2 months. New iPod Touch expected mid-September

Do you reckon there will be a new nano? I will hold out for a larger capacity nano, and just borrow someone elses old ipod until then.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
Historically the Touch and Nano get announced at the same event. The iPod events are entrenched for the 1st week of September. Wiki says the release dates have been either September 5, 9, or 13 in the last 4 years. Admittedly this is akin to using a dart board to predict something, but hey we got nice grouping

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

henpod posted:

Do you reckon there will be a new nano? I will hold out for a larger capacity nano, and just borrow someone elses old ipod until then.

Generally the capacities get upgraded, but since they didn't on the iPhone 4, presumably it'll be tough for Apple to upgrade them on the iPod Touch and maybe even on the iPod Nano (don't want to screw up the ecosystem by having levels of storage bump up against each other too much). The line of upgrades for the iPod Touch that aren't centered around storage are pretty obvious (A4 chip, retina screen, front-and-back cameras and FaceTime), but it's a whole lot less clear what Apple can add to the iPod Nano right now that isn't a storage upgrade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They could let the camera take pictures.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mrs. Badcrumble posted:

The line of upgrades for the iPod Touch that aren't centered around storage are pretty obvious (A4 chip, retina screen, front-and-back cameras and FaceTime), but it's a whole lot less clear what Apple can add to the iPod Nano right now that isn't a storage upgrade.
Cameras have been an option for the iPod Touch for at least the last two generations, and while I would LOVE to see the Touch 4G get even one camera, after Apple's massive blueballing when they announced the camera-less Touch 3G, I'm not holding my breath :sigh:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Seems like FaceTime would be a pain when the only mic that works is the one on the earbuds, too.

Think they'd put a hardware mic in, or would that open the door for "hey, look at my new jailbroken wifi phone!" too much?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Seems like FaceTime would be a pain when the only mic that works is the one on the earbuds, too.

Think they'd put a hardware mic in, or would that open the door for "hey, look at my new jailbroken wifi phone!" too much?

Also, as far as I can tell, facetime requires a phone number to do the signaling.

Mrs. Badcrumble
Sep 21, 2002

echobucket posted:

Also, as far as I can tell, facetime requires a phone number to do the signaling.

It does for now, but that's almost certainly going to change in the future given Jobs' reference to "FaceTime devices" at the iPhone 4 unveiling.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My personal hope is that the iPod touch ditches some portion of the camera functionality to make "room" (not physically, just financially) for an HD radio receiver, which I would care about much, much more in a music-playing device. But I know I'm kind of reaching there. It really is the only thing that makes me want a Zune over an iPod, though.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sir Lemming posted:

My personal hope is that the iPod touch ditches some portion of the camera functionality to make "room" (not physically, just financially) for an HD radio receiver, which I would care about much, much more in a music-playing device. But I know I'm kind of reaching there. It really is the only thing that makes me want a Zune over an iPod, though.

I thought the iPod Touch was totally capable already of receiving HD Radio, but the hold up was that Apple hasn't found a way to take the song names and let you purchase them in the iTunes Store so they haven't activated it? I could be wrong here.

Anyway, I'm getting really tired of iOS4s bugs on some applications. Anybody else have these problems? On some Apps like News Readers or a feed that updates when you refresh, all the buttons will link to the correct pages on the initial load. But if I exit out, go back in and resume where I left off with multitasking, and refresh, the new button appear with new news stories but the links still go to the old news stories according to where the were in the original list! Or even regular applications all the buttons will work properly, but if I multitask in and out of the App then the buttons will be 1 off making me have to click the option BELOW what I want to work. Usually closing out of the program in the multitask bar fixes it, but it's quite annoying. I guess some programs it's more of a hassle to have the multitasking features on if it's not going to work properly and save me time.

I've also noticed a problem with my speaker being all the way off, but some application sounds still play with the speakers turned all the way down.

Then there is the 3rd party headphone issue still taking over voice control at random with no options to turn off voice control.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Selavi posted:

Won't the price go up with it, though?

No, I don't think it will personally. This is maybe being unrealistic but i'm expecting a 16gb, $200 model. That's the one I would get if it came out.

Hoping to sell my 2nd gen ipod touch 8gb for $150 in September. I think I can fetch that price because of its ability to be jailbroken should still make it pretty appealing. It'll always hands down be the easiest to jailbreak device.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think you'll be lucky to get around $100 for it based on the stuff that's selling out there now. There will always be a way to jailbreak.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I think you'll be lucky to get around $100 for it based on the stuff that's selling out there now. There will always be a way to jailbreak.

I hope not. :ohdear: But I suppose you could be right. I'm riding on people who are always willing to pay top dollar for any Apple device. They keep their value very well.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Apple is currently giving those 8 GB 2G touchs away like candy with a new Mac, so I'd say $100 or $125 if you're optimistic.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Godzilla07 posted:

Apple is currently giving those 8 GB 2G touchs away like candy with a new Mac, so I'd say $100 or $125 if you're optimistic.

Yeah, and that's if you sell it NOW. When the Touch 4G comes out with a gyroscope, retina screen, front facing camera for FaceTime, and faster processors for multitasking and any other new rumored feature... I don't see many people wanting a 2G to jailbreak that don't already have one.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/07/08/new-ipod-touch-5mp-camera-and-facetime-incoming-britains-top-sellers-say-so/

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I keep considering doing something "unique" with my 1st gen 16 GB to make it a little more appealing to sell, like plating the back with some neat metal or something, then I realize I wouldn't even get enough for it to cover the cost of doing that in the first place. :(

I can't even pass it down to my brother anymore like I used to do when I wanted to upgrade something, he's got better poo poo than me at this point.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I am so psyched about this if this is true. After the last refresh of the Touch, I was disappointed and stuck with my 8gb 2nd Gen. It's so frustrating relying on its small space and slow speed (and the fact that I'm stuck on jailbroken 3.1.3, because firmware 4 would slow it to a crawl and zap my battery).

Apple would sell so drat many iPod Touches if they gave it all the benefits of the iPhone 4 without the phone.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I am so psyched about this if this is true. After the last refresh of the Touch, I was disappointed and stuck with my 8gb 2nd Gen. It's so frustrating relying on its small space and slow speed (and the fact that I'm stuck on jailbroken 3.1.3, because firmware 4 would slow it to a crawl and zap my battery).

Apple would sell so drat many iPod Touches if they gave it all the benefits of the iPhone 4 without the phone.

An iPad-like contract free 3G plan would be cool too, but that's really unlikely :/

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

toxick posted:

An iPad-like contract free 3G plan would be cool too, but that's really unlikely :/

AT&T's new godawful plans pretty much make it a waste of money unless you just use it to go on Facebook and check email once a week like people in the iPhone thread.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

AT&T's new godawful plans pretty much make it a waste of money unless you just use it to go on Facebook and check email once a week like people in the iPhone thread.

Yeah their new plans suck, but it would be better than nothing. I guess if you don't mind carrying around another device, a MiFi on Verizon would be a good solution. Though, that thing's $60/month for the 5GB plan. On the upside, you can connect up to 5 devices to it simultaneously.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

toxick posted:

Yeah their new plans suck, but it would be better than nothing. I guess if you don't mind carrying around another device, a MiFi on Verizon would be a good solution. Though, that thing's $60/month for the 5GB plan. On the upside, you can connect up to 5 devices to it simultaneously.

Different people have different needs I guess.

I don't think I can ever justify getting an iPhone or iPad now with a wireless data plan that's limited to 2GB. I would use it exclusively to stream video on my train ride to and from work every day, and I would burn through 2GB in a week I'd bet! Meanwhile the MiFi is too expensive to justify. For $60 I could just purchase 30 TV shows on iTunes....

Ninja Toast!
Apr 22, 2009
I think 1 hr of standard def netflix is 1 gb, hd is around 3. You'd probably kill it in a couple days unless they make some different kind of resolution.

I would have probably got one until they did that, completely killed any reason for me to want an iphone on top of the touch.

Way to lose customers, ATT.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ninja Toast! posted:

I think 1 hr of standard def netflix is 1 gb, hd is around 3. You'd probably kill it in a couple days unless they make some different kind of resolution.

I would have probably got one until they did that, completely killed any reason for me to want an iphone on top of the touch.

Way to lose customers, ATT.

Allegedly 98% of iPhone users use their phones like they are touchscreen dumbphones. People are just amazingly stupid. Think how much they've been overpaying so they can have a fashion accessory to check email and Facebook once a day.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

Allegedly 98% of iPhone users use their phones like they are touchscreen dumbphones. People are just amazingly stupid. Think how much they've been overpaying so they can have a fashion accessory to check email and Facebook once a day.

Yeah except you basically just described how most people use any kind of computer. Think of how many people let Best Buy salespeople talk them into buying $800 desktops that they're just going to use to check Facebook, sync their iPods and forward email chain letters when a $350 netbook would get the same job done. People just don't know any better. If they think something's top of the line, they'll buy it, even if all they're going to use it for is reading WorldNetDaily or watching Bang Bus videos.

"9 million megahurtz and 12 jiggabytes of memory? Sounds state of the art, I'll get that one. HP as been around forever so they must be a reliable brand."

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I don't think you can find a data plan for a cell phone cheaper than $10. Just because people aren't using 10GB of data every month doesn't mean their idiots. The interface is quite great (that's why we have the Touch after all, right?), it's just that many of use can't justify $20 or $30 more per month just so that it's easier to upload photos to Facebook.

I have a Lotus Elite, I love the thing really... I am on a family plan and only pay $10 more for my line and $10 more for Data. I save money on a texting plan by doing the e-mail to cell phone thing with my phones mail client. So going from $20 to $80 never really interested me. Paying $30 for a contract free iPad DID interest me though, I was just planning on not being an early adopter. But if I was on my own individual plan like I use to be, and was paying closer to $60 for my phone, I'd easily spend $20 more a month for the conveniences of using iOS4 instead of Sprint One Click.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I purchased a Touch because:

- I knew I'd never join Ma Bell's network
- I wanted a laptop but couldn't justify the price for the use

Thus, a Touch. I use it to play games when I'm bored and usually keep it in my room and give it a spin for 20 minutes a night checking my e-mail and reading various news apps. All I really wanted a laptop for was because I wanted the ability to stay connected so instead I got the same ability and awesome gaming for way cheaper.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
After using my Touch for the first day I have to say that I'm not entirely impressed. It's a great device, I haven't had as much time as I'd like recently to explore all of the different features and apps, but right now my main problem is how this stupid little thing functions as music player.

Right off the bat, is there a way to change around the Music interface? An app I can download that makes the functionality for playing music not complete poo poo? I think the design flaws are intentional at least, design intended to bug you in to buying lots of accessories at some point.

I use my iPod in the car mainly sitting on it's back in this perfect little tray next to the gearbox, but unlike my dying five year old Nano, when the I lay the Touch down while playing music it goes into good ole Coverflow mode, which I have absolutely no use for (given the amount of music I have on this thing) and even more, it cuts you off from being able to control the music! gently caress you Apple, I am not buying an accessory cup-holder mount just so I can keep my iPod standing up in the car and use the <</>> controls properly.

Holy gently caress, and auto-locking every minute when I want to switch tracks every two songs, while I'm driving. I know how to turn off auto-locking and all that jazz, but is there some app or solution for changing the behavior of the iPod when it's in Music mode? I think my real solution is jailbreaking the poo poo out of the Touch (on the 3rd gen you can't use OS4 with jb yet, right?) but please tell me Apple or a 3rd party has some kind of way I can change this core function of my iPod.

Can I even do something as simple as change the font size when I'm browsing albums/artists so I can get a tighter overview of my 250 something bands or enlarge it so I can actually read at a glance what song I'm listening to? Oh, it didn't download half the album art yet so most of what I'm listening to is a big white '?' anyway and some tiny scribbles at the way top of the display. Frustrating.

Oh, and somehow I managed to make the iPod disconnect itself and fall onto the floor while making a hard left turn on my way home tonight.

Also the battery, it's been in use for maybe 2 hours tops today and when I'm turning it on this afternoon it shows a red sliver of battery left after being more or less 3/4 in the beginning of the day (after charging all night). After a minute or two the battery gains a little, but still only 1/4 or so of a full charge and that is distressing after only 1 day of ownership (a refurbished iPod from Woot, but still...).

Enough of sounding like an old man, but I really want to like this thing and so far Apple has sold me a bad music playing device.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 12, 2010

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I may have posted it previously itt, but when I replaced my lost 1G Touch with a 3G Touch, the battery was noticeably shittier. I thought that kind of stuff was supposed to improve with new iterations.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That's an enormous amount of bitching. I'll add a couple of things:

- double-click the home button, it brings up some basic music controls(pause, skip forward/backward)

- as far as car usage, just learn to drive and use it. I don't even need to look at mine when I'm simply switching tracks(using the method above) as I can hit which button I want due to muscle memory.

- your battery issues may be due to being a refurb, I don't know. definitely should be getting 20 or more hours of pure music play on a charge, though.

- google for some tips and tricks. there's not much but there are some shortcuts and things worth knowing that Apple doesn't really advertise

- I get the feeling you should have researched the device a bit before you bought. Head to Best Buy, give one a whirl, read some reviews, etc. Hell, come here and ask questions but barging into the fan thread with "I'VE HAD IT A DAY AND I loving HATE IT" isn't going to solve much.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

tehschulman posted:

:rant:

I would suggest getting one of two types of radio transmitters for charging and holding the device while you plug out to aux in or radio(some models also come with remotes), or getting a ipod touch compatible head unit/sound system.

I've used models similar to the examples below with an ipod touch:

Both types came with remotes, and were very easy to use. The first model allows for direct line out via the headphone jack, while the second (atleast the one I purchased) had both aux in(for non-ipod devices) and aux out.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Yeah I am not one to threadshit and complain much, but I guess I'm just very disappointed over the initial experience. I'll either suck it up and get used to it or end up selling the thing on SA-Mart (if anyone's interested in a 64GB 3rd gen send me a PM :)) but my question is about an app. Does a completely different media player app exist (maybe one that could do .flac too?) that I could download and use instead or does Apple have this device locked down more than I think?

Didn't know about the double click menu before, this thing solves a few of those problems I was bitching about before so thanks for that tip. Now if I just knew how to have the screen turn off after a few minutes but not need me to slide to unlock...

1karus: Lol, I was very specific about this... I only have one cup holder in my car (this is not Apple's fault btw), but I value my mobile beverage possibilities more than I value a new Touch.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jul 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

You can change the auto-lock settings(when the device goes to sleep) in Settings -> General -> Autolock but be advised this will of course use more battery although as long as the setting isn't "never", you should be OK.

A quick google search tells me that you can play .flac, use another media player and unlock the phone without slide to unlock by jailbreaking although the articles are a couple years old so I don't know what still works and what doesn't.

There's no real mystery to the Touch. Virtually any question you have can be googled and found quite easily. I've never jailbroken my Touch so I know little about it but really, google can probably help you with all of your problems.

• Locked thread