Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay4BluRayz
Oct 6, 2004
I WHITE-KNIGHT FOR MY SOCIOPATHS! OH GOD SUH PLEASE PUT YOUR BALLS IN MY MOUTH!
Just finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. I've never thought of him as a particularly good writer, but I always find his stories interesting. Some of the poo poo he thinks up is pretty neat, in my opinion, and this story was no different. Not the best writing, but the plot was enough to keep me engaged. One of the better Palahniuk books that I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Gay4BluRayz posted:

Just finished Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk. I've never thought of him as a particularly good writer, but I always find his stories interesting. Some of the poo poo he thinks up is pretty neat, in my opinion, and this story was no different. Not the best writing, but the plot was enough to keep me engaged. One of the better Palahniuk books that I've read.

That's why I own 9 of his books. They aren't always good but they are always interesting. Anyway today I got The diary of Anne Frank and an all in one book copy of the His Dark Materials trilogy.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
As an assistant teacher, a lot of my job hours are spent sitting at a desk with my laptop but no internet access. Amazon's Kindle for Mac software has been quite a boon, since I'm working abroad - it lets me get a bunch of books and read them during work downtime, without having to worry about importing English books or eventually lugging them back home.

Anyway, this week is semester exam week, which means I have even less to do than usual, which means it's the perfect time for me to crack open David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest. I'm only about ten percent through it yet, but so far I'm really digging it. It's the center point of a Venn diagram where one side is "The Royal Tenenbaums" and the other is "Thomas Pynchon."

PFCHudson
Mar 4, 2010

SMUG JERK POSTING ANECDOTAL ONE-LINERS
and having a blast...
"The Passage" by Justin Cronin
My God, it's like The Stand and The Road had a baby, and it's the first of a planned trilogy! It's over 700 pages, if you like post apocalyptic fiction, you owe it to yourself to try this, and it's like 14 and change at Amazon. Do NOT let the word "vampires" throw you, it's not what you think!

StealthStealth
Aug 28, 2007

dogs eatin' cake
I am reading Dune for the first time, ridicule me!

Fake edit: I grew up reading fantasy and was never really exposed to much sci-fi; now I am living with my fiance who has a quite respectable basic sci-fi library and lots of movies so I've been getting a lot of exposure. But this is a really drat good book so far! Why does it get shoved into genre? It stands on its own quite well.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StealthStealth posted:

Why does it get shoved into genre? It stands on its own quite well.

Because it's about a life-extending substance found only on a distant planet overrun with giant worms. There's also a gross fat man that floats around and some telepathy thrown in for good measure.

But really it boils down to which side of the genre-fiction-as-serious-literature argument you stand on.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Today I got this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

juliuspringle posted:

Today I got this.

All right! You're in for a much less interesting poorly-written Catcher ripoff!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm currently reading The World According To Garp by John Irving. I have to admit I'm actually just over half-way through it, but I just found this thread, so v:shobon:v I quite enjoyed the first few chapters about his Mother, much more so than the current section I'm reading where I'm guessing Helen is about to cheat on him with a student of hers. The first few chapters focused more on Garp's mother, who lives a much more interesting life than Garp later does.

Next book is Pimp by Iceberg Slim. I don't even recall how I got this book.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

I've actually already read it 3 times. But now I own my own copy.

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
I just started T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom. Slightly disappointed to discover some of the best scenes in the first hour of the film were completely invented.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I'm reading a sympathetic biography of Marie Antoinette By Antonia Fraser. I knew the very little about the woman save from the notorious 'let them eat briosh/cake' and her playing country milkmaid parts. I have an odd facination about the strange pantomimes and excess of Royalty.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

juliuspringle posted:

Today I got this.

This was the first book I read by Banks. Loved it and I still keep a copy.

CaptainScraps posted:

I liked it better than Catcher. Could be because I read Rule of the Bone first and I read Catcher many years later.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I just got a near perfect condition hardcover copy of Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim in the mail yesterday for 7$. I loved the movie, I am hoping the book is decent. I've heard generally positive reviews but don't know anyone who has read it.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I finished The World According to Garp and started Pimp by Iceberg Slim today. I read in the Wikipedia article on the book that the Library of Congress doesn't have a copy of this book, and from what I've read, that is appalling. As soon as I'm finished with this one, I'll call them and ask, and if that is indeed true, I'll mail them my copy.

it's probably not true, huh? : (

EDIT: Holy poo poo, I think it's true. :o

Click here for the full 1681x552 image.

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 4, 2010

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I finished The World According to Garp and started Pimp by Iceberg Slim today. I read in the Wikipedia article on the book that the Library of Congress doesn't have a copy of this book....

Sadly the LoC isn't a true national library and there are no requirements for publishers to send a copy of every book published each year. America really needs a true national library!

t_k
Nov 16, 2007
I just started The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera because I just love pretentious fiction.
It's pretty enjoyable so far.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

a sad model posted:

I'm just starting The Road by Cormac McCarthy, and good god do I hate this writers style. So far the entire book is like one run-on sentence, barely ever using punctuation. I've spotted about 3 commas in 30 pages. I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

Give it a chance. Once you get into Cormac McCarthy you really get in.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I picked up a used copy of Homer's Odyssey today. I've never read a poem anywhere near this long, but I've always wanted to read his works, so why not. I also grabbed Machiavelli's The Prince, another book I've been interested in reading for a while.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I just finished Pimp by Iceberg Slim (also known as Robert Beck) Started on Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson. Prolific use of the word "cedars".

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I got Sunnyside by Glen David Gold, because I read a library copy of it and loved it. I also grabbed a copy of The Mysterious Benedictine Society while I was at it, because I have no self-control whatsoever.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just picked up Storm Front by Jim Butcher, first book of the Dresden files - I read his Codex Alera series recently and really enjoyed it, so figured I'd give it a shot.

I also have The Scar and Iron Council by China Mieville sitting there on my to read list, but I think I'm going to get in a couple more books with happy endings before risking another Perdido Street Station experience - great book but rough as hell at the end.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Heading out to get Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis tomorrow. I'm sort of stupidly excited, as I love Less Than Zero.

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!
Bought:
Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn (Everyman's Library) by Mark Twain
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Grimm's Fairtales
Life by Richard Fortey
Microcosm by Carl Zimmer
Animal Behavior: An Evolutionary Approach by John Alcock
Paleontology: The Record of Life by Colin Stearn and Robert Carroll
Life on a Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Evolution on Earth by Andrew H. Knoll
The Pattern of Evolution by Niles Eldredge

All for about $60 total!

Thalamus fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 23, 2010

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Heading out to get Imperial Bedrooms by Bret Easton Ellis tomorrow. I'm sort of stupidly excited, as I love Less Than Zero.

I really enjoyed Imperial Bedrooms. Not my favorite by Ellis, but still a great read.

I picked up in the last week and have started bits an pieces of each:

Heart of Darkness and The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
A Storm of Swords - GRRM
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins

Lord Sandwich
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I recently began reading the series A Song of Fire and Ice by George R. R. Martin.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I've been blindly picking up Stephen King books from Goodwill every so often for the past six months, but for some reason I've been holding off on reading them until I've read Carrie. Well, I finally found and bought Carrie, so I'll probably be reading King books (among other things, natch) pretty steadily for the next five years.

Also found a hardcover copy of Atwood's The Blind Assassin. The only book of hers I've read is Oryx and Crake, which I loved, so I'm excited for this.

SilverSliver
Nov 27, 2009

by elpintogrande
I got about 1/3 into Stiff by Mary Roach and found myself bored to tears. I really loved Bonk so I'm kinda disappointed. I think I've been loading up so much on science and biographies lately that I need a good guilty pleasure book to read, then come back to Stiff and try again.
So I've just started Skin Trade. Yep, an Anita Blake book. Why would I do this to myself? Because I've read all the other ones and I feel the need to finish the series, dammit. :argh:
Plus, once I get through Skin Trade I've heard good things about the next two/latest ones out. Apparently she gets back to the *story*. (Hope hope hope...)

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
I recently started reading both Gonzo: the Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson and When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. Both seem pretty good so far.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie and 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill both arrived today. I'll probably start with BSC.

moist towelette
Jun 4, 2010

PFCHudson posted:

My God, it's like The Stand and The Road had a baby, and it's the first of a planned trilogy! It's over 700 pages, if you like post apocalyptic fiction, you owe it to yourself to try this, and it's like 14 and change at Amazon. Do NOT let the word "vampires" throw you, it's not what you think!

I remember hearing hype about this book a while ago but I bought it on this recommendation and somehow I read it in just a few days - the first third of the book especially has a really strong Stephen King vibe. I wouldn't call it my book of the year or anything but it definitely kept me entertained, and I can totally agree that there is nothing vampire like in this book, so don't let that turn you off.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Just bought a collection of Mark Twain's Short Stories from Signet Classics and Bulfinch's Mythology. Looking forward to reading these later on after I finish a few other books.

That said I just started reading the Modern Library edition of Tales from 1001 Nights and so far it's amazing. The aphorisms, word-play, descriptive poems found so prevalently in eastern literature, and especially the vivid descriptions. I'm on The Porter and the Three Ladies of Baghdad, and I love visualizing the scenery. Reddish-golden places, secret passages, the 40 rooms from the third kalandar's tale, just extremely imaginative environments all-around.

After I finish with Nights, I was thinking of going through the Iliad, Odyssey, and Aenied. Can I expect a similar experience to Nights, that is with lots of literary action-adventure?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
Don't forgot the second part also translated by Haddawy: http://www.amazon.com/Sindbad-Stories-Arabian-Nights-Deluxe/dp/0393332462

It's got more of the "famous" stories from the Arabian Nights in it, most of which were actually added later. Still really good though.

e: Wait I misread that, do you have a Burton translation? If you like the stories you really should get the Haddawy version, the language isn't bowdlerized to hell.

ShutteredIn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 9, 2010

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Jive One posted:

Can I expect a similar experience to Nights, that is with lots of literary action-adventure?
'Literary action-adventure similar to the Nights' suits something like The Adventures of Amir Hamza a lot better than it does the Odyssey. That's not to say the Odyssey isn't pretty much the greatest thing ever, but it's a different kettle of fish.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
gently caress Snow Falling on Cedars, this book drags like hell. Took a trip to my local book store and bought The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer and Dr. Seuss & Mr. Geisel by Judith & Neil Morgan. I also ordered Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace because everyone on this forum seems to love it so much.

I work 1-hour weekend shifts as a security guard and have basically nothing to do but read, and even at that, I should be set for the next two months.

hello clarice
Jun 8, 2010

For Your Health!

The Machine posted:

I've been blindly picking up Stephen King books from Goodwill every so often for the past six months, but for some reason I've been holding off on reading them until I've read Carrie. Well, I finally found and bought Carrie, so I'll probably be reading King books (among other things, natch) pretty steadily for the next five years.

Also found a hardcover copy of Atwood's The Blind Assassin. The only book of hers I've read is Oryx and Crake, which I loved, so I'm excited for this.

By story you mean sex, right?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

hello clarice posted:

By story you mean sex, right?

I'm not sure what you're referring to.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

PFCHudson posted:

Reading this too, it's good. And yeah, he isn't just cashing in on the recent vampire craze. Government tries to create superserum, ends up with virus that turns people into Zombie/vampires. The book takes place over decades, the world before the virus, and the world after. Justin Cronin is a good author; the kind that hints at something, and then when you figure it out, "Oh, wait, he's a pedophile?", you feel connected to the story, apart of it.

Just finished "Stories", a anthology of stories put together in-part by Neil Gaimen.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I started Tom Wolfe's The Purple Decades the other day. It's kind of a greatest hits of his, a mix of book excerpts and magazine features from the 60s and 70s. It's great so far - his piece on Nascar driver Junior Johnson is one of the best pieces of sportswriting I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PFCHudson
Mar 4, 2010

SMUG JERK POSTING ANECDOTAL ONE-LINERS
and having a blast...

moist towelette posted:

I remember hearing hype about this book a while ago but I bought it on this recommendation and somehow I read it in just a few days - the first third of the book especially has a really strong Stephen King vibe. I wouldn't call it my book of the year or anything but it definitely kept me entertained, and I can totally agree that there is nothing vampire like in this book, so don't let that turn you off.

Really looking forward to the second book, apparently on tap for a release TWO YEARS from now :(

• Locked thread