Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Bolt Action and Warlord Games are doing 28mm plastic WW2 infantry!

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6427

Oh my!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

Oh my!

Wow.

Definitely want to paint some of those up.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

More French Dragoon pics.

These are pretty much done, other than tidying up the base edges and touching up here and there.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Serotonin posted:

Oh my!
:monocle: Oh my indeed! Definitely interested in these. Nice comprehensive weapons options sprue too, everything I can think of on there. It'll be interesting to see if they make a plastic tripod-version of the MG42 too. Probably hoping for too much though.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
Dear God, the GHQ 10mm Napoleonics are beautiful. Amazing detail and excellent proportions in a scale where most models look really pudgy. I feel like I can't really do these models justice with my painting; I consider myself pretty good with 28mm but I'm really new to this scale and doing that kind of detail seems all but impossible.

I just console myself with the fact that they look decent ranked up :shobon:

Edit: One thing I find odd though is that the ostensibly 1812 uniforms are modeled with British-style trousers and shoes rather than the regulation leggings and below-the-knee gaiters. More practical, certainly, but not what sources tell us. Then again, this makes me sound like a 50-year-old grognard so I'll just shut up and enjoy the wonderful miniatures.

Guildenstern fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 6, 2010

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Guildenstern posted:

Dear God, the GHQ 10mm Napoleonics are beautiful. Amazing detail and excellent proportions in a scale where most models look really pudgy. I feel like I can't really do these models justice with my painting; I consider myself pretty good with 28mm but I'm really new to this scale and doing that kind of detail seems all but impossible.

The smaller the scale, the easier the paint job :ssh:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Guildenstern posted:

I just console myself with the fact that they look decent ranked up :shobon:

Edit: One thing I find odd though is that the ostensibly 1812 uniforms are modeled with British-style trousers and shoes rather than the regulation leggings and below-the-knee gaiters. More practical, certainly, but not what sources tell us. Then again, this makes me sound like a 50-year-old grognard so I'll just shut up and enjoy the wonderful miniatures.

Heh thats the spirit, nothing wrong with being educated enough to notice things like that. You are only a grognard if you refuse to play aginst anyone with such figures, and start frothing how things were much better in the 1970s.

Also GHQ do make lovely miniatures. I swear by their 6mm moderns.
My mate has some of their ACW in 10mm and they are very nice, just as you say about the Napoleonics. Although for me, being in the UK I cant justify the price difference betweemn them and UK 10mm makers. They work out at nearly 4 times the price, and they arent 4 times as good! I swear by Pendraken for 10mm personally, firstly coz I like the sculpts, secondly they are cheap cheap cheap and thirdly you get great customer service- the guy who runs it, Dave is a top bloke.

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn

Silhouette posted:

The smaller the scale, the easier the paint job :ssh:

True enough, the ones I've painted up look pretty good even though they're my first models in the scale, but I still feel like I could do better with models of this quality. It's pretty interesting transitioning from 28mm though, it's true what they say about highlights having to be really sharp.

Serotonin posted:

Heh thats the spirit, nothing wrong with being educated enough to notice things like that. You are only a grognard if you refuse to play aginst anyone with such figures, and start frothing how things were much better in the 1970s.

"Educated" is a nice word for "absolute hopeless nerd" :v:

Off topic rant: Why is it that studying for exams is hard while remembering the changes to French line infantry uniforms made in 1812 or the spell list of an Empire Warrior Priest in That Other Game is easy?

quote:

Also GHQ do make lovely miniatures. I swear by their 6mm moderns.
My mate has some of their ACW in 10mm and they are very nice, just as you say about the Napoleonics. Although for me, being in the UK I cant justify the price difference betweemn them and UK 10mm makers. They work out at nearly 4 times the price, and they arent 4 times as good! I swear by Pendraken for 10mm personally, firstly coz I like the sculpts, secondly they are cheap cheap cheap and thirdly you get great customer service- the guy who runs it, Dave is a top bloke.

Being in the UK makes wargamer shopping easy. I don't get much of a choice - here in Poland, there's basically only one business that distributes historicals and they're the only source to avoid insane shipping costs. For 10mm they carry only GHQ and Magister Militum, which look like hobbits.

LordMazza
Mar 2, 2003

Come quietly or there will be... trouble.
I have no interesting models in the works at this very moment (maybe some I am painting up for an RPG soon), but I have been contemplating collecting an army of Montrose Scots for Warhammer English Civil War. I was wondering whether anybody who was familiar with this ruleset would be able to clarify how Highlanders work? I believe you are supposed to field Highland Clans as regiments consisting of gentry and rabble, but each of these are listed as if they were separate units in the army list. Can't find an errata either. Anybody know?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

My order of Richard III and his posse has arrived, but one thing I missed before I placed the order is that the figure isn't wearing a surcoat. Now, I know they were pretty much phased out in the 15th century, but this seems to suggest that he was still rocking one, and it would add color to the figure rather than just a mass of silver.

So history nerds, should I sculpt one? Or are the Perrys right?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Early War is coming!? Yesssssss

quote:

This week the countdown to Early-war begins. As we first take a sneak peek inside the pages of Blitzkrieg: The German Invasion of Poland and France 1939-1940 before revealing the first of the Early-war army boxes. We then start our series of articles looking at the Early-war armies currently under construction by Battlefront staff, beginning with Chris’ Leichte Panzerkompanie. In event news this week, we have one last announcement regarding U.S. National tournament at HISTORICON before we wrap this for the week with Finnish Jääkärikomppania for Mid-war going official.

http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=53&art_id=2021

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah the guys around here have been really psyched about it. Sounds rad as hell.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I really, really hope this pays true to the Polish defence against the German invasion and not some bullshit unstoppable blitzkrieg fictional bullshit.

I also wonder how they will address (if at all) the total political failure and betrayal of the British and French towards their ally.

It'll be interesting to see if they do it historically correct or just what people get taught in middle school.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

big_g posted:

I really, really hope this pays true to the Polish defence against the German invasion and not some bullshit unstoppable blitzkrieg fictional bullshit.

I also wonder how they will address (if at all) the total political failure and betrayal of the British and French towards their ally.

It'll be interesting to see if they do it historically correct or just what people get taught in middle school.

I don't see why they would treat it any differently than their other products. The game rules are relatively simplified but they don't skimp on historical accuracy.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
yeh I suppose it just depends on who's version of historical accuracy they follow.

Because of the fall of the iron curtain over Poland directly after the War (You know just after the Allies betrayed them and sold them off to the Russians.) a lot of the evidence we based things on were from German propaganda sources. Hurray.

Its the Massive BLITZKRIEG title that worried me.

big_g fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 8, 2010

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

big_g posted:

I don't see what you're getting at. I doubt they're going to make the Poles wet paper bags, but it's historically accurate to have them using outdated equipment and being under-supplied. I'll be the last person to besmirch the honor and fighting spirit of the Poles; my grandfather was an officer in the cavalry and later a partisan. But on the field, they didn't have much of a chance. They didn't have the planes to fight Hitler's air force, and they didn't have the guns to stop his tanks. This state of affairs was a symptom of British and French appeasement, but it's hard to reflect the political actions that led to it in a game focusing on combat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Additionally, Flames of War is not a recreational historical simulation, but a historical game where two sides of similar size meet in battle. Weaknesses are combined with strengths to make it a fair and fun battle. Making the Polish or French army crappy and always lose would simply not make sense from a game designer viewpoint, as it would make for a very boring game and few sales.

Instead they will probably just give the Poles cheaper troops to cover the Germans' access to better equipment etc.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 9, 2010

Guildenstern
Feb 22, 2005

by T. Finn
I'm not a FoW player, but I just hope they avoid the widespread myth of sabre charges as the principal fighting mode of Polish cavalry. Of course, it can't be truly historical in any case because the whole point of the German operational doctrine was about avoiding the even matchups the game is about, which at this stage of the war they did pretty well.

On the topic of FoW, I wonder why more companies in historicals don't try to follow the vertically integrated business model (one company creating miniatures, rules to go with them and organizing tournaments) that has completely dominated the industry since GW pioneered it. It's the standard in fantasy games and Battlefront has shown that it can be used for a resurgence of historical wargaming. Meanwhile this subset of the hobby is really being held back by the confusion on which scale, ruleset, basing system etc. to use and nobody seems able to step up to the plate. Sure, you can't beat WW2 in popularity, but I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made in appealing and well-known periods like Roman antiquity and the Napoleonic Wars. The latter especially suffers from the usual problems - it's supposed to be the classic wargaming setting and yet you're hard-pressed to find two groups that use the same rules or a manufacturer who doesn't follow a horribly outdated 70's business model.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Guildenstern posted:

I'm not a FoW player, but I just hope they avoid the widespread myth of sabre charges as the principal fighting mode of Polish cavalry. Of course, it can't be truly historical in any case because the whole point of the German operational doctrine was about avoiding the even matchups the game is about, which at this stage of the war they did pretty well.

On the topic of FoW, I wonder why more companies in historicals don't try to follow the vertically integrated business model (one company creating miniatures, rules to go with them and organizing tournaments) that has completely dominated the industry since GW pioneered it. It's the standard in fantasy games and Battlefront has shown that it can be used for a resurgence of historical wargaming. Meanwhile this subset of the hobby is really being held back by the confusion on which scale, ruleset, basing system etc. to use and nobody seems able to step up to the plate. Sure, you can't beat WW2 in popularity, but I'm sure there's plenty of money to be made in appealing and well-known periods like Roman antiquity and the Napoleonic Wars. The latter especially suffers from the usual problems - it's supposed to be the classic wargaming setting and yet you're hard-pressed to find two groups that use the same rules or a manufacturer who doesn't follow a horribly outdated 70's business model.

You could argue that Field of Glory was a serious stab at making a "GW style" Ancient game, but they didn't go as far as combining it with a miniature line. Warlord Games are even closer by publishing Black Powder and making pike and shotte miniatures. With plastics becoming bigger and bigger in historicals, I think we're more likely to see something like this. However, the insane number of already established niches of Ancient and Medieval wargaming both in scales and armies does make it more difficult to cover than, say, WW2 or fantasy.

It would be interesting to see an attempt to make an Ancient style Flames or War, but it would be tricky to release a set of rules that covers enough armies to make it interesting, and at the same time support a range of miniatures that are big enough. The only realistic option would be for Victrix or Perrys to release a set of rules for Napoleonics, which is a much more focused period, but why would they when Black Powder so recently made a big splash?

To emphasise the problem of comparing Flames of War with Ancient wargaming: Flames of War have many books with many lists, but to a large degree these are just variations of the same stuff, with different access to similar infantry, tanks and artillery. You don't have to produce a new sherman tank to fit every army list that can take shermans, so it is easy to give shelf space FoW even as more army lists are added. Even then only some of the major countries are covered by the books, and Early War was kept out for many years.

Compare this with Field of Glory. The number of blisters you'd have to put up on a shelf of a store just to cover a single one of their sourcebooks would be huge, as it is not just variations of the same equipment but different cultures with different weapons, armours and dresses. Now multiply that with the roughly 250 army lists they have, even that a limited amount of army lists that far from cover everything a historical player could be interested in. We're now talking about thousands of unique blisters. Completely impossible. I'd say the minimal period to cover to be seriously considered would be something like Greek Hoplite to Imperial Rome, which would mean a range of several dozen unique armies all with dozens of unique blisters. There's just no way you would get the brick and mortar store presence of FoW.

The only solution would be a very limited wargame where you cover maybe republican Rome, Carthage, Gaul, Greek city states and Macedon or whatever. And I would want to make Samnites or Vikings or Hittites or Ming Chinese and say that the game was bullshit and not play it, while a FoW player who wants to play a Finnish army have been able to do it since the differences are so much smaller. See the problem?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jul 9, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah I can't see a wide period of history being very popular. For WWII, at least, you really only have 4 or 5 nations producing equipment, and everything else is a matter of paint and decals (for armor at least, uniforms might be slightly different).

Anyway, I just got Rod Langton's book. Skimming through it, it seems pretty useful. If anyone else plans on doing 1:1200 ships (and even 1:2400), I would recommend it heavily.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The other point is that tournaments are really a tiny tiny part of wargaming outside of GW. Many historical players have little to no interest in it.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

My Empress Miniatures order arrived- got the Zulu British character pack, some British line infantry and the 2 fireteams of SAS.

Exceptionally well sculpted figures, truely beautiful. They are however small. Closer to true 25mm. Compared to Perry plastics they are almost a head shorter. Not that I was planning on mixing them obviously! But it just means that I will be tied ito Empress for my Zulu project which is no bad thing. I was considering the Wargames Factory plastic brits but they look terrible. Their Zulus dont look too bad though.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

Additionally, Flames of War is not a recreational historical simulation, but a historical game where two sides of similar size meet in battle. Weaknesses are combined with strengths to make it a fair and fun battle. Making the Polish or French army crappy and always lose would simply not make sense from a game designer viewpoint, as it would make for a very boring game and few sales.

Instead they will probably just give the Poles cheaper troops to cover the Germans' access to better equipment etc.

It's much more likely that we'll just get boring generic lists for France and Poland (and probably nothing for Norway or Italy, etc.) and detailed lists for the 323. SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie after they were reequipped during the last week of the war in Poland but before being redeployed to the Netherlands.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Can someone tell me why most miniature companies focus almost exclusively on casting in metal? Maybe I'm way off, but it seems like it would be so much easier and cheaper to cast in plastic, especially for smaller companies.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ManMythLegend posted:

Can someone tell me why most miniature companies focus almost exclusively on casting in metal? Maybe I'm way off, but it seems like it would be so much easier and cheaper to cast in plastic, especially for smaller companies.

Because pewter and resin uses cheap rubber and ceramic molds, while plastic requires expensive milled steel molds.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Devlan Mud posted:

Because pewter and resin uses cheap rubber and ceramic molds, while plastic requires expensive milled steel molds.

Well alright then.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Empress has these awesome 28mm modern day duders - I'm gonna pull the trigger unless someone knows of better 28mm modern day duders. Suggestions?

I kinda prefer this more realistic look compared to something like The Assault Group's "chunkiness", if that helps.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jul 11, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Devlan Mud posted:

Set up costs for plastics are astronomically high.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

Set up costs for plastics are astronomically high.

Though it has gone down a bit, which is seen by the rapid increase of hard plastic 28mm historicals the last couple of years. But it still has to be something that you think is popular enough to make your money back, like greek hoplites or roman legions. I would not sit around and wait for plastic Aztecs or Carolingians.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Went to one of the biggest medieval fairs and re-enactments today (battle of Tewkesbury). Already browsing for Wars of the Roses armies to play Warmaster Medieval in.

gently caress this hobby.

PS have a pic of some blokes fighting.

Click here for the full 800x1200 image.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Trouble Man posted:

It's much more likely that we'll just get boring generic lists for France and Poland (and probably nothing for Norway or Italy, etc.) and detailed lists for the 323. SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie after they were reequipped during the last week of the war in Poland but before being redeployed to the Netherlands.
Have you ever looked at FoW? Dig through the army lists here for a while and see what you come up with.

For those not interested in rooting through the entire thing, probably the most interesting unit in there is the 1st Brazillian Expeditionary Division. Yeah.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

Have you ever looked at FoW? Dig through the army lists here for a while and see what you come up with.

For those not interested in rooting through the entire thing, probably the most interesting unit in there is the 1st Brazillian Expeditionary Division. Yeah.

I know, I know - I was just being a bit unkind to Battlefront about their free content.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

lilljonas posted:

Though it has gone down a bit, which is seen by the rapid increase of hard plastic 28mm historicals the last couple of years. But it still has to be something that you think is popular enough to make your money back, like greek hoplites or roman legions. I would not sit around and wait for plastic Aztecs or Carolingians.

Yeah, it's actually about 10% of what it cost just 5 years ago or so. But that 10% is still around $5k-$8k

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Silhouette posted:

Yeah, it's actually about 10% of what it cost just 5 years ago or so. But that 10% is still around $5k-$8k

Which is a massive amount of capital for 99% of figure manufacturers outside of the big boys.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1460

Battles of Napoleon is apparently now on sale. I'm curious if anyone's tried it out.

It would probably be a great way to introduce people to historical wargaming.

EDIT: Their store doesn't have any and Amazon says it's still "available for pre-order", although there are other sellers on Amazon selling the game now.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Well my Prussians have arrived, painted up a test base:

These are waiting a coat of paint:

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Super Cool!

How do they look all together as a unit?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
:siren: Free miniatures! :siren:

Does anyone (preferably in the UK) want a 28mm four man modern British platoon command and a modern British army piper?

I got them free from The Assault Group after they messed up some packs I was ordering for a diorama, so if someone else will put them to good use, let me know. I'd prefer UK since it'd be pennies to post, but if someone overseas wants them and no one else does...

Also, TAG are really good at fixing orders, and quick too, so I reccomend them.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

:siren: Free miniatures! :siren:

Does anyone (preferably in the UK) want a 28mm four man modern British platoon command and a modern British army piper?

I got them free from The Assault Group after they messed up some packs I was ordering for a diorama, so if someone else will put them to good use, let me know. I'd prefer UK since it'd be pennies to post, but if someone overseas wants them and no one else does...

Also, TAG are really good at fixing orders, and quick too, so I reccomend them.

I wouldnt say no- it would be good for our 28mm Ambush Alley we are moving over to.
My email address is amrypooinsATgamilDOTcom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
Anyone know where the hell I can buy the Warhammer Historical books nowadays (aside from eBay and their website)?