Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

deathdrive83 posted:

Hey look, even less of a need for new lawyers:

Nonlawyer at 9th Circuit Beats Toyota on Trademark Law

Yeah, if you happen to pull a panel with the judge that came up with the test for nominative fair use, you might be able to win on a nominative fair use defense! Pro se for everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Adar posted:

When I did BarBri, I wrote out the first sample essay they had everyone do, got my low score back, decided it was bullshit and just focused on the multiple choice from that point on. I would have been borderline without the book, but just doing all of the MC in the sections you're weakest in should be enough to pass with a solid margin, as long as you are a good test taker and follow IRAC/make the rule up as appropriate for partial credit during the essays.

Two caveats to this: CA may be different (NY was tough, NJ was a joke, but CA is reportedly in another league) and *everyone* is weak in certain areas even if you think you're strong. This applies to things like wills that no one takes in LS and to things like hearsay that no one memorizes correctly in LS. Conversely, I personally got away with almost no real studying in con law and found the MBE questions on it to be pretty New York Times-able, although that was of course a single bar exam five years ago.

Nah you're still right, the Con Law section is New York Times-able. I haven't read the constitution yet and I managed to pass it on the barbri sample multi-state sections.

Property and some of the commercial stuff is terrible, though. It's not difficult, but it is so boring and the questions seem to be longer; it's just generally painful to have to do it. Serious, mental anguish at having to touch this poo poo; I'm surpised bar exams aren't considered cruel and unusual punishment. Still disgusted I have to touch this turd of an exam after slogging through three years of their accredited horseshit education

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

What time you going to be here? It'll have to be early afternoon.

I was meeting a friend between 2-3 but we can grab a beer around 1 or so and that way I don't have to have THE INTERNET and IRL converge.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Stunt Rock posted:

I was meeting a friend between 2-3 but we can grab a beer around 1 or so and that way I don't have to have THE INTERNET and IRL converge.

I have dinner plans but not until 8, so 5-6 might work too. Are you looking at down/uptown? We can continue this conversation in PM so as not to make everyone else jealous of you for meeting me

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Lykourgos posted:

Nah you're still right, the Con Law section is New York Times-able. I haven't read the constitution yet and I managed to pass it on the barbri sample multi-state sections.

Property and some of the commercial stuff is terrible, though. It's not difficult, but it is so boring and the questions seem to be longer; it's just generally painful to have to do it. Serious, mental anguish at having to touch this poo poo; I'm surpised bar exams aren't considered cruel and unusual punishment. Still disgusted I have to touch this turd of an exam after slogging through three years of their accredited horseshit education

Doctors, who have to take multiple rounds of intense board and licensing exams, scoff at you.

The bar is bad and I would rather not do it again, but there are worse exams.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

PS I am a disgusting sweaty cheeto stereotypical gune, you will love me

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

TyChan posted:

Doctors, who have to take multiple rounds of intense board and licensing exams, scoff at you.

The bar is bad and I would rather not do it again, but there are worse exams.

At least when they're through doctors are looked at like lifesaving angels of mercy and love, whereas your reward for passing the bar is everyone thinks you're a lying scumbag leech

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I have dinner plans but not until 8, so 5-6 might work too. Are you looking at down/uptown? We can continue this conversation in PM so as not to make everyone else jealous of you for meeting me

Perhaps for some of us our jealousy takes the form of a desire to live vicariously through one of you did you ever think of that

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Perhaps for some of us our jealousy takes the form of a desire to live vicariously through one of you did you ever think of that

You and me have one thing in common

The other day I sat on my couch in my boxer shorts and played Red Dead Redemption for 10 hours straight

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

At least when they're through doctors are looked at like lifesaving angels of mercy and love, whereas your reward for passing the bar is everyone thinks you're a lying scumbag leech

ah not true, don't know what planet you live on but here prosecutors don't touch the floor when they walk and all common people bow towards you when they enter/leave a room you're in. also any boring conversation can be instantly improved by saying "well that's not a punishable offence yet but give it time"

Lykourgos fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 9, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Lykourgos posted:

ah not true, don't know what planet you live on but here prosecutors don't touch the floor when they walk and all common people bow towards you when they enter/leave a room you're in.

Wait until you noll pros some guy on a minor offense and he ends up raping and murdering a 12 year old and then see if your poo poo still smells sweeter than most

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait until you noll pros some guy and he ends up raping and murdering a 12 year old and then see if your poo poo smells sweeter than most

wait until you leave your mobile phone inside a patient and he dies when you get a phone call

at least the sin attaches to the defendant not the prosecutor

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

doctors are better than all lawyers including prosecutors deal with it.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

Phil Moscowitz posted:

not true doctors are okay i guess but they are still lower on the totem pole

we can make them appear in court or depositions and swear to tell us whatever we want to know, they can never make us go to hospital and even if we want to we can be snide and say "welp that's your opinion doc but im off to get my second opinion" and then do a poo in their toilet just to show our indignation

also we tell them how to do their job all the time

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Wait until you tazer the poo poo out of Clarence Thomas's nephew.

That gavel doesn't just cause order in the court.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You and me have one thing in common

The other day I sat on my couch in my boxer shorts and played Red Dead Redemption for 10 hours straight

I can't remember if I posted about this or if your insight into my lifestyle is just that good

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I used to have a lot of respect for doctors and hold the medical profession in pretty high esteem, however that esteem is being eroded daily by contact with Independent Medical Examiners and expert witnesses

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can't remember if I posted about this or if your insight into my lifestyle is just that good

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

deathdrive83 posted:

Hey look, even less of a need for new lawyers:

Nonlawyer at 9th Circuit Beats Toyota on Trademark Law

Trademark law isn't that difficult, not surprised.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Got our class ranks in today, I guess I'm still king of the turd-heap

basement jihadist
Oct 3, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

yep, this is pretty much true.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Doctor's are like lawyers but when they gently caress up someone dies. Their profession stopped being noble when Pfizer bought it. If I could get away with it I would do entirely medical malpractice simply because the current medical profession deserves to be bankrupted with tort suits.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

JudicialRestraints posted:

Doctor's are like lawyers but when they gently caress up someone dies. Their profession stopped being noble when Pfizer bought it. If I could get away with it I would do entirely medical malpractice simply because the current medical profession deserves to be bankrupted with tort suits.

please just shut up

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Chiropractors aren't doctors dude.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

J Miracle posted:

I used to have a lot of respect for doctors and hold the medical profession in pretty high esteem, however that esteem is being eroded daily by contact with Independent Medical Examiners and expert witnesses

I used to have a lot of respect for lawyers until I met the Dargon Law Firm?

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

BigHead posted:

Chiropractors aren't doctors dude.

I've never met a chiropractor that has killed someone?

The medical profession is like any job, some people will go into it for altruistic reasons, but a significant number will be money grubbing assholes. Unethical/lazy/incompetent lawyers are also a huge problem which has rightfully tarnished our profession. I just find it hypocritical that doctors receive much more public respect despite the massive rates of medical error resulting in death (~195,000 a year http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php)

Of course, there's also the fact that doctors are so cozily in bed with the pharmaceutical/insurance industry that health care coverage for the average American is a tragicomic third world affair.

Again, I recognize that many doctors are hardworking caring people. I just don't give doctors the benefit of the doubt.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

I've never met a chiropractor that has killed someone?

The medical profession is like any job, some people will go into it for altruistic reasons, but a significant number will be money grubbing assholes. Unethical/lazy/incompetent lawyers are also a huge problem which has rightfully tarnished our profession. I just find it hypocritical that doctors receive much more public respect despite the massive rates of medical error resulting in death (~195,000 a year http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php)

Of course, there's also the fact that doctors are so cozily in bed with the pharmaceutical/insurance industry that health care coverage for the average American is a tragicomic third world affair.

Again, I recognize that many doctors are hardworking caring people. I just don't give doctors the benefit of the doubt.

Doctors are, what, the 8th leading cause of death? And we're supposed to respect these fuckers? I have a bunch of clients who are doctors and they're no better than anyone else.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
Look, let's just agree that lawyers are better. It will benefit us all in the long run, and I can assure you it's true.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Nobody ever went to medical school because they didn't know what else to do after finishing undergrad!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

quote:

Rage against doctors

diospadre posted:

Nobody ever went to medical school because they didn't know what else to do after finishing undergrad!

Hey dudes how's this thread going anyways?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
edit : Apparently I'm in the wrong thread.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 10, 2010

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
:lol: wrong thread nublet, this is for lawyers and law students, not pan-handling clients

Linguica posted:

This thread is not for legal advice. If you want legal advice, the best thing to do is to contact a lawyer who is licensed to practice where you live or where your problem is. Lawyers can get into a lot of trouble for giving out "free" advice, so don't ask the law goons to do that! If you still really have to ask, post in the legal questions thread or start a separate thread.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
errr, whoops. Posting in the right thread.

Death Sandwich
Jul 1, 2004

I found this behind the radiator.
So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist?

Edited so people would stop yelling at me on the internet and we can all get along. :dance:

Death Sandwich fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 10, 2010

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Death Sandwich posted:

Dave Matthews Band... Hollister...

Did you go straight from High School to Law School or something?

You'll make friends if you can shake off your own judgmental/stuck up attitude and chip on your shoulder.

Even people dressed in a polo shirt can be nice people, and if you're thinking a law firm may be in your future, you may even want to practice wearing one once in awhile.

HooKars fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 10, 2010

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lykourgos posted:

:lol: wrong thread nublet, this is for lawyers and law students, not pan-handling clients
I'd prefer that over doctor chat.

What the hell happened to taco chat? That was far more fun.

MMMM, al pastor

Death Sandwich
Jul 1, 2004

I found this behind the radiator.

HooKars posted:

Did you go straight from High School to Law School or something?

You'll make friends if you can shake off your own judgmental/stuck up attitude and chip on your shoulder.

Even people dressed in a polo shirt can be nice people, and if you're thinking a law firm may be in your future, you may even want to practice wearing one once in awhile.

Sorry, I thought the little "ohdear" face was enough to let you know that that last bit was my attempt at humor. I'm well aware that people of all manners of dress and musical preference can be good people and are potential friends. The serious part of my question dealt with the diversity at law schools because I am sort of worried that, especially at Emory, the environment will be more predominantly-WASPy than I am used to.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Death Sandwich posted:

The serious part of my question dealt with the diversity at law schools because I am sort of worried that, especially at Emory, the environment will be more predominantly-WASPy than I am used to.

I'm sure Emory will have a Southern Conservative slant to it but you'll find married people, people who took a few years off, northeastern liberals, minorities etc...

At UVA, I'd say drinking habits and what section you were in were the main players in who you were friends with. Things like whether they pop their collars or what music they listened to or whether they were a democrat or republican... all that didn't really matter too much.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Death Sandwich posted:

So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist? I really don't want to have to start listening to Dave Matthews Band and shopping at Hollister :ohdear:

There's a lot of different types of people in law school and even in this thread. There are people who love law school culture and love the friends they've made. There are people who gravitate towards the immediate people and become "Friends" with them for three years. And there are people who hate law school, realize the whole thing is a bullshit exercise for 3 years and form tenuous friendships with people who are the same way.

The key thing, the absolute loving key thing to remember is maintain some sort of a social life outside of law school. It's good to have law school friends. It's also loving important to have friends outside of law school. That way you won't tell people to shut the gently caress up when you want to hang out with someone when you're sick of school and they try to tell you how beautiful the law is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?