Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

Death Sandwich posted:

So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist? I really don't want to have to start listening to Dave Matthews Band and shopping at Hollister :ohdear:

I guess it depends on where you go to law school. I went to one in California and it was pretty diverse in terms of ethnicity and interests. I don't think that I ever saw anyone wear a Hollister shirt or talk about DMB though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7StoryFall
Nov 16, 2003

Tetrix posted:

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?

Look at the number of jobs that "prefer" or "require" journal/moot court. While a secondary journal isn't going to look as good on your resume, it will beat out the other people who don't have it, assuming same grade range, for landing the interview. Also, if everything on your resume says "I am an International Law Panda" and you're going to be on the "International Law" journal, yeah, it will say that. If your experiences are varied, I bet an employer will look at it and say, "Not good enough to make Review, but better than others who didn't suffer a year as a staff writer."

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Death Sandwich posted:

So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist? I really don't want to have to start listening to Dave Matthews Band and shopping at Hollister :ohdear:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 17, 2011

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Death Sandwich posted:

First, DMB put on a great live show. Don't knock them until you go see them at The Gorge.

Second, law school socially is what you make of it. Yes, there will be Hollister wearing tools. There will also be wolf shirt wearing turbo nerds if that's more your bag. You'll meet people of like interest, don't worry about it.

EDIT: Start liking golf btw, you have some killer courses near you.

Death Sandwich
Jul 1, 2004

I found this behind the radiator.

Omerta posted:

I'm going to Emory next year. I enjoy golf/am white/come from a wealthier family but jesus what a stupid loving question. I can't wait to avoid you because I'm too busy wearing hollister.

I've made my first friend!

Seriously though, I was kidding about the whole Hollister/DMB thing. I'll just go edit it out of my original post. As for my other concerns, Emory gave off a certain vibe when I visited the campus and I was just looking to confirm/deny the impression that I got. It seems like I have nothing to worry about.

Additionally, by reading the beginning of this thread I found out that you are a fellow Central Florida goon. Care to grab a beer sometime? I promise we can drink in a judgement-free zone. :)

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Death Sandwich posted:

The serious part of my question dealt with the diversity at law schools because I am sort of worried that, especially at Emory, the environment will be more predominantly-WASPy than I am used to.
You're afraid that you're going to go to school with a bunch of Christian whities in the South?

Why don't you even read your school's website? I remember coming across that page frequently when I was considering enrolling at Emory.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Omerta fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 17, 2011

Death Sandwich
Jul 1, 2004

I found this behind the radiator.

Omerta posted:

I'll wear my finest wolf shirt and bring my katana so you can spot me.

Haha, excellent. I've got the trendiest haircut in the world right now and I dress like a hipster douchebag; the bright pink sunglasses should give me away if I remember to bring them.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Tetrix posted:

Thoughts on joining a secondary journal? Is it worth the work? I would like to clerk if possible, so that weighs in favor of it. Am I going to get pigeonholed by employers thinking that I am only interested in the topic of the journal?

If you don't have a particular area of the law that you know you are dying to do, try to pick the second-most varied journal in your school (for example my school has a Business & Securities Law Journal, that's a lot less likely to lead to pigeonholing than the Animal Law Journal or the now-defunct Law & Gender journal). Then try really hard to get on the E-board/get a note published/do something leadership-y.

EDIT: Also from what I can see the "work" on a secondary journal is pretty minimal.

in absentia
Mar 20, 2006

Death Sandwich posted:

So I'm fixing to head to Emory Law in the fall, and I've got a question about law school student cultures in general. I'm sort of concerned that I'm going to be stuck hanging out around a bunch of stuck-up, WASPy, lame people - the kind that I generally tried to avoid during undergrad. Does anybody here go to Emory that wants to shed some light on the student culture there? Any body from any law school want to confirm that diverse student populations do exist?

Edited so people would stop yelling at me on the internet and we can all get along. :dance:

My roommate for the summer goes to Emory. The nicest thing I can say is that she's the most repulsive human being I know. I assume everyone at Emory is similar.

She isn't stuck up, so much as a gigantic whore with this shrill cackle that pierces concrete. We literally had a noise complaint from the neighbors because of this girl's laugh.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Woo hoo transferring to Minnesota!

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

in absentia posted:

My roommate for the summer goes to Emory. The nicest thing I can say is that she's the most repulsive human being I know. I assume everyone at Emory is similar.

She isn't stuck up, so much as a gigantic whore with this shrill cackle that pierces concrete. We literally had a noise complaint from the neighbors because of this girl's laugh.

But she puts out, right? :quagmire:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

The Arsteia posted:

Congrats!

Thoras Hammer
Oct 15, 2009

in absentia posted:

She's not being a whore so much as practicing valuable job interview skills.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

in absentia posted:

How did 'loving all her friends go'

HiddenReplaced
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah...
it's wanking time.
Dear future Emory Lawgoon concerned about diversity: Sonali Chitre

That is all.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

The Arsteia posted:

Take all the Feld classes you can. And Simon. Simon can get you hooked the gently caress up with jobs, and Feld is just 100% awesome.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tetrix posted:

I was on my school's international panda journal and ended up with a job in a completely different field. I wasn't pigeonholed, but I did occasionally have to explain in interviews why I believed that knowledge of international law was helpful for someone intending to do IP work. My first year on the journal was a bit of a drag, but did not require an unreasonable amount of time, and the second was really worthwhile in terms of the opportunities it provided for improving my writing. Serving as an editor has also been a useful gold star.

If you want to clerk, I'd definitely recommend joining a journal. Even more so if your school has a journal in a field that interests you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigHead posted:

Take all the Feld classes you can. And Simon. Simon can get you hooked the gently caress up with jobs, and Feld is just 100% awesome.

Simon is the man.

Also take Cribari's small classes. I also recommend the advanced trial practice class if hopeman is teaching it.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

HiddenReplaced posted:

Dear future Emory Lawgoon concerned about diversity: Sonali Chitre

That is all.

Would you like to clarify this for the rest of us?

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn
I thought emory was a law firm, not a school?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
edit: never mind, I don't really care

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 11, 2010

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

methamphetamine posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to decide between Boalt and Columbia as a transfer. Boalt would be cheaper as I am in-state, and I want to practice in California. On the other hand I feel the greed for lay prestige making me want to go to Columbia instead. Is this a good idea?

I'm kinda late in replying, but...

If you want to practice in California, go to Boalt. loving duh. There's is no added prestige as to Columbia over Boalt in California. Among laypeople or lawyers. The only prestige bump you'll get is when you're vacationing or visiting friends on the East coast.

This is a no-brainer.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

methamphetamine posted:

I'm having a really hard time trying to decide between Boalt and Columbia as a transfer. Boalt would be cheaper as I am in-state, and I want to practice in California. On the other hand I feel the greed for lay prestige making me want to go to Columbia instead. Is this a good idea?

The other comments have gone to the contrary, but I will say this - I'm looking to apply in my totally non-East Coast region at smaller firms and the Columbia name has kicked down the door so that my ~*~stellar personality~*~ can shine through. I can't offer any massively anecdotal evidence in support of Boalt. Just two cents.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
from the gif thread in PYF.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
That picture is the best picture.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Another HD semester, placing me in the top 10 students in my year. :smug:

Edit: Had an amusing picture to follow but my link is not working.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 12, 2010

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004
Thanks for the various opinions about boalt vs. columbia, I ultimately decided to go to Boalt, and everyone's advice was very helpful.

This morning, though, I got into Harvard so I'm gonna go there.

I'll probably take some flak for this but I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: STUDY IN THE SUMMER BEFORE LAW SCHOOL RIGHT NOW. Yes, this goes against OP "canon" or whatever, but I personally know almost every student in the top 5% at Cornell and almost all of them studied extensively in the summer before. Read the Examples and Explanations or Gilberts!

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

methamphetamine posted:

I'll probably take some flak for this but I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: STUDY IN THE SUMMER BEFORE LAW SCHOOL RIGHT NOW. Yes, this goes against OP "canon" or whatever, but I personally know almost every student in the top 5% at Cornell and almost all of them studied extensively in the summer before. Read the Examples and Explanations or Gilberts!

I've met a couple of people who did really well for themselves at Columbia and they took pre-1L courses. They said it helped a lot.

Anything you can do so that you're not spending the week before your finals struggling to understand the legal concepts you actually need to apply in your exams is worth it. Some people think it "ruins" your learning experience or that you're setting yourself up to get knocked down by the professors, but if it's a tool in a varied arsenal, I don't know why you shouldn't take it if you can afford it. I wish I had done it since I learned a lot more from outlines and BarBRI like courses than anything my professors or study groups had to offer (which was like the blind and/or the deliberately obtuse leading other blind people through a minefield).

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

methamphetamine posted:

Thanks for the various opinions about boalt vs. columbia, I ultimately decided to go to Boalt, and everyone's advice was very helpful.

This morning, though, I got into Harvard so I'm gonna go there.

Wait, you go/went to Cornell Law? And you blanketed the top schools with transfer apps?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

methamphetamine posted:

I'll probably take some flak for this but I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: STUDY IN THE SUMMER BEFORE LAW SCHOOL RIGHT NOW.
I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say this to all the incoming 1Ls: buy a handgun now, before you're broke and penniless, so you can either rob liquor stores or put yourself out of your misery after law school

it'll be much harder to get ahold of one when you're already homeless

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

TyChan posted:

I've met a couple of people who did really well for themselves at Columbia and they took pre-1L courses. They said it helped a lot.

Yeah totally. I didn't take a pre-law course but I did go through the civpro, contracts and torts E&E books and I felt it gave me a big advantage. When everyone else was going crazy reading their first cases I already had a good sense of where the prof was going to go with it.

Also, I think if you are the type of person who is going to get "burned out" from too much law, then you aren't suited for biglaw anyway.

Linguica posted:

Wait, you go/went to Cornell Law? And you blanketed the top schools with transfer apps?

Not blanket, but I applied to Boalt because I wanted california practice and instate tuition, and columbia/harvard/stanford. Didn't apply to yale, seemed too hard to get in.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I biked across the country before I went to law school.
Didn't help my GPA any, but it gave me something interesting to talk about, so there.

Also, with your name, you should come work criminal law in the valley.

Lykourgos
Feb 17, 2010

by T. Finn

methamphetamine posted:

I feel like getting into Harvard makes me entitled to say...

:laffo: gtfo you ugrad child

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

Lykourgos posted:

haters gonna hate

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Lykourgos posted:

Agreed.
It isn't like he got into Yale.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
The OP of this thread is simultaneously the most impressive one on the forums, and incredibly depressing.

I guess that's apropos.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Lykourgos posted:

get studyin or your gonna fail lmao

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpM07PQYNns