Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Rosie Palm.

No I definitely got this one and I got the twelve and a half percent joke after I thought about it. It was clever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

D-Rider posted:

While that's probably true to an extent, after reading "Sourcery" I've decided that I just don't like Rincewind very much. :P Now I can just skip his books for the time being.

Interesting Times is actually a great read but it's also the peak of the Rincewind books. The main issue with the Rincewind books is that they were some of the first he wrote so his writing style's fairly rough. They're also far more about parodying fantasy than general satire.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Kind of odd, I quite enjoyed the character and concept of Rincewind when I picked the Colour up for the first time.

I still kind of miss him, but Terry is sick of writing him. I'm happy with the odd cameo he gets still though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Flipswitch posted:

I feel dumb now, I didn't notice Mossy Lawn or Brother Brutha, it makes me wonder what others I've missed.

Could someone explain Mossy Lawn?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Iacen posted:

Could someone explain Mossy Lawn?

Pubic hair.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

What is the 12 1/2 percent joke? I don't remember that one.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Reacher Gilt of Going Postal fame dressed like a pirate and had a parrot that squawked "Twelve and a half per cent!" Convert it to a fraction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
That's a terrible joke really. Subtle but terrible.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

rejutka posted:

Reacher Gilt of Going Postal fame dressed like a pirate and had a parrot that squawked "Twelve and a half per cent!" Convert it to a fraction.

That is mildly amusing.

:yarr:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
One-eightst? I still don't get it :ohdear:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

John Dough posted:

A piece of eight.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

John Dough posted:

1/8th

or a piece of 8

SKwaaaaaaaaaaaak Pieces of Eight

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh, I thought there was more to it than that :downs:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Mokinokaro posted:

That's a terrible joke really. Subtle but terrible.

My maths are really horrible, but I must admit I burst out laughing when I finally deduced this.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I still got some books I'm looking to unload. If ya'll are interested lemme know.

Reaper Man
Small Gods
Hogfather
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Witches Abroad
Soul Music
Men at Arms
Feet of Clay (words in the heart cannot be taken)
Lords and Ladies

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I still got some books I'm looking to unload. If ya'll are interested lemme know.

Reaper Man
Small Gods
Hogfather
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Witches Abroad
Soul Music
Men at Arms
Lords and Ladies

I do not own The Fifth Elephant. I'm tempted to ask for Small Gods just so I have an extra copy to loan out.

What're you asking for these?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Nothing, just treat them nice.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Seeing Soul Music on that list has made me realise that after lending the book to my father I have never had it back, the thieving bastard.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I'll tentatively call Witches Abroad, I think I never read it, but I have to check my stash in the garage.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Reaper Man
Small Gods
Hogfather
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Witches Abroad
Soul Music
Men at Arms
Lords and Ladies

I'd be interested in Reaper Man, Witches Abroad (if appropriatemataphor doesn't want it), Soul Music or Lords and Ladies and be happy to throw you some money for shipping. Apologies if someone called one of these already. PM me with details.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Nothing, just treat them nice.

That's awesome.

I'm going to withdraw my interest, though. I just saw that I actually DO own a copy of the Fifth Elephant.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

That's awesome.

I'm going to withdraw my interest, though. I just saw that I actually DO own a copy of the Fifth Elephant.

In that case I'll take Fifth Elephant (+ Witches Abroad).

I also apparently missed Carpe Jugulum and Maskerade :psyduck:, no wonder I barely remember any of the Witch books...I hardly read any of them!

PM'd you ONE YEAR LATER.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Flipswitch posted:

Seeing Soul Music on that list has made me realise that after lending the book to my father I have never had it back, the thieving bastard.

What's the more terrifying prospect, that he loved it so much he intentionally stole it, or that he disliked it so much he put it down and forgot it? :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Moist von Lipwig posted:

What's the more terrifying prospect, that he loved it so much he intentionally stole it, or that he disliked it so much he put it down and forgot it? :ohdear:

He has got to love it, I assume the goons dad was in his prime in the seventies and would get the music references if he read long enough.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

He has got to love it, I assume the goons dad was in his prime in the seventies and would get the music references if he read long enough.
Correct on both accounts, he was the one who introduced me to Pratchett and couldn't track down his copy. I think the bugger still has it somewhere. Now that I think about it though Soul Music's ending wasn't particularly great, but it has been a long, long time since I read it. I think it's time to go hunt it down off him.

I also love your avatar and custom title Moist von Lipwig. :neckbeard:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Reaper Man
Small Gods
Hogfather
The Fifth Elephant
Jingo
Witches Abroad
Soul Music
Men at Arms
Lords and Ladies

I'll take Small Gods. The only Pratchett book I actually own right now is the latest one.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
One Year Later is awesome, just throwing this out there.

My copies of The Truth, Thief of Time and his suggestion of Carpe Jugulum arrived a few days ago adressed from some place called America. The postage was fourteen dollars. I nearly plotzed at having someone pay that on my behalf.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Flipswitch posted:

I also love your avatar and custom title Moist von Lipwig. :neckbeard:

Thanks friend :hfive:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nilbop posted:

One Year Later is awesome, just throwing this out there.

My copies of The Truth, Thief of Time and his suggestion of Carpe Jugulum arrived a few days ago adressed from some place called America. The postage was fourteen dollars. I nearly plotzed at having someone pay that on my behalf.

What country do they still speak Yiddish in?

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

drunk asian neighbor posted:

What country do they still speak Yiddish in?

Manhattan's Lower East Side?
(thats a country right?)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ridonkulous posted:

Manhattan's Lower East Side?
(thats a country right?)

Gentrified and overrun by yuppies back in the mid '90s or so.

I imagine you can still find it in the neighboorhood if you looked really, really hard.

edit: I think the Hasidim speak Yiddish, so you could easily find it in the Hasidic communities in Brooklyn and upstate NY.

Fun fact: Issac Asimov's native language was Yiddish.
Not-so-fun-fact: Asmiov died from complications due to HIV.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 13, 2010

ass is hometown
Jan 11, 2006

I gotta take a leak. When I get back, we're doing body shots.

Smiling Jack posted:

Gentrified and overrun by yuppies back in the mid '90s or so.

I imagine you can still find it in the neighboorhood if you looked really, really hard.

edit: I think the Hasidim speak Yiddish, so you could easily find it in the Hasidic communities in Brooklyn and upstate NY.

Fun fact: Issac Asimov's native language was Yiddish.
Not-so-fun-fact: Asmiov died from complications due to HIV.

I thought Hasids spoke Hebrew, but maybe non-zionist Hasids speak yiddish. Or maybe like Brooklyn I'm confused.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ridonkulous posted:

I thought Hasids spoke Hebrew, but maybe non-zionist Hasids speak yiddish. Or maybe like Brooklyn I'm confused.

Reading up on wiki right now, apparently a lot of the Hasids speak Yiddish, to the point where some of their upstate enclaves have signs in both English and Yiddish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I grew up like 5 miles from that place.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Smiling Jack posted:

Reading up on wiki right now, apparently a lot of the Hasids speak Yiddish, to the point where some of their upstate enclaves have signs in both English and Yiddish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiryas_Joel,_New_York

I was just joking when I asked that. Yeah, most Hasids speak Yiddish, primarily because according to them, Hebrew is a holy language that they're not supposed to speak. My mom and grandma still slip into Yiddish when they're pissed off.

I made the joke because he mentioned being in a different country.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I was just quoting Krusty the Klown.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of Clowns, I remembering getting The Fools Guild Diary a few years ago and it is amazing how awesome said Diaries are. I'd totally buy them all bulk and just read them.

All the Illustrated guide books and maps are also pretty cool :).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Clowns, I remembering getting The Fools Guild Diary a few years ago and it is amazing how awesome said Diaries are. I'd totally buy them all bulk and just read them.

All the Illustrated guide books and maps are also pretty cool :).

Nanny Ogg's Cookbook is fantastic as well.

Can't remember bugger all about it now but I legitimately attempted several recipes in college with predictable results.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Nanny Oggs Maids of Honour sound pretty nice though unfortunately they tend to end up as tarts. I'm always tempted to make Wow-Wow sauce but I dont make much food that I could put it on so it seems pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Food just acts as a foundation for that poo poo. Put it on a big slab of steak, mashed pertaters, soup, whatever.

You wont taste them.