Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr. Heliotrope posted:

But are they set or do they drop randomly? I tend to have a bad habit of conserving resources in games like this.

Dead Space has chests which have pretermined ammo which make up like 20-30% of all chests with the remaining 60% only dropping ammo for guns you're carrying. Enemies drop around 80% for guns you carry.

You should never have an issue with ammo, and you can buy rear end tons of it from the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Barudak posted:

Dead Space has chests which have pretermined ammo which make up like 20-30% of all chests with the remaining 60% only dropping ammo for guns you're carrying. Enemies drop around 80% for guns you carry.

You should never have an issue with ammo, and you can buy rear end tons of it from the shop.
You can get by with one gun. I used three guns my first time and kept running out of space, then I dropped them as bread crumbs. It didn't help that one gun had a low capacity and stacked by the singles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

HondaCivet posted:

This is more of a general question but I've been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS . . . I'm a little ways into the part where you enter the apocalyptic future (do I need to spoiler a game this old?) for the first time and I'm just not feeling horribly motivated to continue. It's been hyped as the best RPG ever since it came out but the battles just aren't super engaging to me, at least at this point in the game. I was just wondering if the game really opens up at some point I guess.
What m2pt5 said, but it also doesn't help either that you have yet to reach the "main mission" of Chrono Trigger's story. At your current point in the game you're still just kind of going around with the flow because circumstances are dictating that you do so; that will soon change and you gain a whole new purpose to your time traveling hijinks. And it will be happening quite soon.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 11, 2010

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Dont know 'nothin about games before you play them. The learning process is part of the fun.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

HondaCivet posted:

This is more of a general question but I've been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS . . . I'm a little ways into the part where you enter the apocalyptic future (do I need to spoiler a game this old?) for the first time and I'm just not feeling horribly motivated to continue. It's been hyped as the best RPG ever since it came out but the battles just aren't super engaging to me, at least at this point in the game. I was just wondering if the game really opens up at some point I guess.

I'm sure you've noticed several boxes that can't be opened yet. I think it's pretty obvious when you get the item that can open them, but there is another mechanic to those boxes that leads to, IIRC, some miss-able items. You may notice that all of those boxes appear in both the present and Middle Ages. If you use the item that opens the box in the past, but don't open the box, the item inside will soak in the power over the next few centuries, and you can open the box in the present for better items. I don't remember if you could use the amulet on the boxes, get the item in the future, and then get the lesser item from the same box.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Elswyyr posted:

Anyone got any tips for Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift?

There are Clan Trials you can undertake to unlock new Privileges for your Clan. Each Clan Trial has five different difficulty levels, with most level unlocking a different Privilege. What's stupid is:

A) If you would earn a Privilege that's a higher-level version of a Privilege you don't have (for instance, Speed Up 3 when you don't have Speed Up 2), you get the lowest level version you don't have yet. You aren't given any indication you could improve that Privilege again by retaking the trial.

B) If you complete a trial without a Privilege you need (either because there's no Privilege for that level, or you already have that Privilege), you don't get anything, even if a lower difficulty level would have earned you a new Privilege.

Rather than torment yourself with all five difficulty levels of all 16 trials, just look at question #18 of this post for a handy list.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm sure you've noticed several boxes that can't be opened yet. I think it's pretty obvious when you get the item that can open them, but there is another mechanic to those boxes that leads to, IIRC, some miss-able items. You may notice that all of those boxes appear in both the present and Middle Ages. If you use the item that opens the box in the past, but don't open the box, the item inside will soak in the power over the next few centuries, and you can open the box in the present for better items. I don't remember if you could use the amulet on the boxes, get the item in the future, and then get the lesser item from the same box.

You can, and this is worth doing, as often even the lesser version is quite useful.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Considering getting The Guild 2 from Steam, or rather its standalone expansion, which I understand has all the base game content. Any advice?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Just picked up Persona 3 Portable having never played a game in the series before. From playing it for about 5 hours I've begun to pick up on the basics I think but still am very wary about fusing Personas and have no idea what I should be doing with my free time. Should I be grinding for experience in the tower thingy? Working part time? Pushing hard to level up Academics/Charm/Courage? What is the best thing to do and the best way to achieve all of these things?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

Considering getting The Guild 2 from Steam, or rather its standalone expansion, which I understand has all the base game content. Any advice?

The expansion does indeed have everything from the base game. There's literally no reason to buy the original at all.

Advice: Don't buy it, it's not very good. Coming from a big fan of the first game, after giving it a second chance, I still can't really stand it.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The expansion does indeed have everything from the base game. There's literally no reason to buy the original at all.

Advice: Don't buy it, it's not very good. Coming from a big fan of the first game, after giving it a second chance, I still can't really stand it.

So your advice is to get the first one instead? Is it basically the same?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Just picked up Persona 3 Portable having never played a game in the series before. From playing it for about 5 hours I've begun to pick up on the basics I think but still am very wary about fusing Personas and have no idea what I should be doing with my free time. Should I be grinding for experience in the tower thingy? Working part time? Pushing hard to level up Academics/Charm/Courage? What is the best thing to do and the best way to achieve all of these things?

Okay so unless you follow a day-by-day guide, know that you're not going to max out every social link, so don't try. Concentrate on a few to get them to the max.

For Tartarus, just make sure you go as far up the tower as you can until you come across a place that prevents you from progressing any further. If you can defeat the boss guarding that area, you'll be good to go until the next few floors open up, so don't worry about grinding.

Always try to level up your academics/charm/courage when you can, then come in handy. Especially Academics, that takes a shitload of time to raise.

Always fuse your personas, there is no reason to keep them around, and if you need to you can just summon them back out of the compendium anyway. Try to keep a balance of various elemental weaknesses, and of course something that can heal.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Caveat: I have not played Portable, but I have played 50 hours of P3 and about 90 hours of P3FES.

Fear of fusing is one of the biggest things you have to overcome. I don't know if you have it yet, but relatively early on, you unlock a Compendium you can use to call back any Persona you have ever fused or got from shuffle time, with their exact same stats and spells. This really frees up your fusion options. Personas level super slow, and you HAVE to fuse to progress. Personas inherit spells from the ones you fuse together, so you don't have to be afraid of losing important spells. Generally, every 5 levels I go back into the velvet room and see what I can fuse together. Thanks to the compendium, no persona is ever lost forever.

Grinding is mostly unimportant. Tartarus is set up to always have a roadblock in your way once you reach a certain level, and they wont be cleared until special plot events that happen on set days (minor spoiler you probably already know) on every full moon. As long as you can reach the current roadblock before those events, you're a good enough level to take on whatever comes your way.

As for your free time, social links are your most important priority. They really are the things that make fusion worthwhile, as they grant bonus experience to fused personas. Getting a max rank in a social link allows you to fuse special personas. The Magician is the first s.link you get, and the special persona is the lowest level, and is pretty powerful. You also don't want to ignore the other stats, though. Academics is important to get high enough for exams, you'll be told when they're coming up. Courage and Charm are less important, but just don't forget about them. Honestly, this is where I'm least experienced, my only full playthrough of the game started with all the stats maxed.

Really, most important of all, just enjoy the game. Your first time through, you may not max all the stats, and if you do, wont be until late in the game. You also definitely will not max all the social links your first time. That's really something you need a guide for. Just don't worry about it, hang out with who you want, do what seems like fun.

edit: Beaten by a much less long-winded poster :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 12, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

So your advice is to get the first one instead? Is it basically the same?

The Guild 1, aka Europa 1400 in the US, was a really fun game for me, but even that I recognize as a pretty niche game. It's not available on steam, but if you can find it somewhere, and are interested in weird Renaissance era business and political simulations, then definitely give it a shot. Then if you like it, only then consider buying The Guild 2 (expansion). It's on Amazon for $15, but you can probably track down a cheaper copy elsewhere.

They have several major differences, biggest one is probably the whole "you directly control your character" thing that's actually more annoying than fun.

edit: Amazon has a The Guild Universe package that has Europa 1400 + expansion + The Guild 2 + Expansion for $20. That may be your best bet.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 12, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

The Guild 1, aka Europa 1400 in the US, was a really fun game for me, but even that I recognize as a pretty niche game. It's not available on steam, but if you can find it somewhere, and are interested in weird Renaissance era business and political simulations, then definitely give it a shot. Then if you like it, only then consider buying The Guild 2 (expansion). It's on Amazon for $15, but you can probably track down a cheaper copy elsewhere.

They have several major differences, biggest one is probably the whole "you directly control your character" thing that's actually more annoying than fun.

edit: Amazon has a The Guild Universe package that has Europa 1400 + expansion + The Guild 2 + Expansion for $20. That may be your best bet.

GOG.com for ten bucks

That aside, if I do go for this, what can you tell me about it?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Oops, wrong thread.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The Guild Gold is both on GamersGate and Good Old Games for about :10bux:

half e:f;b

I'm pretty sure I first heard of The Guild through praise on these forums. That's a couple years ago, but if you have archive access give it a search (JoWood probably works best as a searchterm).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 12, 2010

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Caveat: I have not played Portable, but I have played 50 hours of P3 and about 90 hours of P3FES.

Fear of fusing is one of the biggest things you have to overcome. I don't know if you have it yet, but relatively early on, you unlock a Compendium you can use to call back any Persona you have ever or got from shuffle time, with their exact same stats and spells. This really frees up your fusion options. Personas level super slow, and you HAVE to fuse to progress. Personas inherit spells from the ones you fuse together, so you don't have to be afraid of losing important spells. Generally, every 5 levels I go back into the velvet room and see what I can fuse together. Thanks to the compendium, no persona is ever lost forever.

Grinding is mostly unimportant. Tartarus is set up to always have a roadblock in your way once you reach a certain level, and they wont be cleared until special plot events that happen on set days (minor spoiler you probably already know) [spoiler]on every full moon[/url]. As long as you can reach the current roadblock before those events, you're a good enough level to take on whatever comes your way.

As for your free time, social links are your most important priority. They really are the things that make fusion worthwhile, as they grant bonus experience to fused personas. Getting a max rank in a social link allows you to fuse special personas. The Magician is the first s.link you get, and the special persona is the lowest level, and is pretty powerful. You also don't want to ignore the other stats, though. Academics is important to get high enough for exams, you'll be told when they're coming up. Courage and Charm are less important, but just don't forget about them. Honestly, this is where I'm least experienced, my only full playthrough of the game started with all the stats maxed.

Really, most important of all, just enjoy the game. Your first time through, you may not max all the stats, and if you do, wont be until late in the game. You also definitely will not max all the social links your first time. That's really something you need a guide for. Just don't worry about it, hang out with who you want, do what seems like fun.

edit: Beaten by a much less long-winded poster :(

This is the most important thing about fusing, so I'm going to put it into bold.

It's semi-random what skills they inherit. A Jack Frost is more likely to gain cold/bufu spells than others, but, especially with bigger Persona, you can back in and out of the confirm screen to change what spells they inherit. If you're doing a two-persona fusion, you must deselect one of the persona first. If doing a 3-persona fusion, you must deselect two persona.

This is really helpful if you want to get Repel/Absorb/Null X on a creature that is weak to it, or get Growth 2 on -anything-.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr Snofeld posted:

GOG.com for ten bucks

That aside, if I do go for this, what can you tell me about it?

It's been a while, but a few things off the top of my head. This is all for the first game.

The rogue/bandit profession (don't recall the name) is both the most immediately profitable profession, and possibly the funnest. Eventually you can even buy robber baron fortresses, and buy up the city watch so they stop harassing you.

There are really three types of professions. The goods collector professions, such as perfumer or graveyard keeper. A lot of your manpower is dedicated to gathering goods and making simple things with them. They don't require a lot of outside resources to sustain yourself. The goods production professions, like carpenter or blacksmith. You buy raw goods and use them to craft new, fancy stuff. They can offer potentially higher profits, but require lots of input goods that you have to buy. And services professions, like innkeeper or preacher. Most of these require a combination of outside resources, like wheat for you to make food with, and lots of income instantly derived from just performing a service, without having to sell anything. Once you've played one type, the others don't offer a whole lot of variety.

As a production guy, like blacksmith, eventually you'll want to save the money to buy the producer of your desired raw goods. You stop having to pay for them, and can sell off excess.

Always wait to sell off goods until the price of them rises. The prices are always fluctuating, and having automated carts sell off your goods whenever can lead to sub-optimal profits. Though really, this level of micro-management is optional.

As a rogue type guy, your biggest money maker will eventually be kidnapping people and demanding ransom. It's ridiculously profitable.

Buying upgrades to your house and other buildings will always increase your net worth more than just holding on to the money. Liquid assets are always worth less. This is important when trying to reach thresholds to attain new levels of citizenship. Not worth enough? Improve your business.

Politics is 90% bribing, 10% wearing perfume and being fancy looking. You'll eventually want to climb the political ladder, and when you do, prepare to spend a lot of money.

This game is really awesome, and I probably didn't begin to cover all the topics I should have.

edit: And one last one that's kinda important: The game is about your Dynasty. You'll have a kid, you'll die, and your son will inherit. If you do not have a son, it's game over. Thus, courting a wife ASAP is vitally important. A well arranged marriage can increase your net worth by a fair amount, as well.

Also the little candles in everyone's portraits represents how much life they have left to live. It's an estimate, any number of things can reduce or sometimes extend their life span, but it gives you a good idea on when someone will kick the bucket.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 12, 2010

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Any Wipeout HD racing tips?

Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.

Repelex fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 12, 2010

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install STALKER Complete, if your machine can handle it. It's a graphical overhaul + unofficial patch, and since the last official version is buggy as gently caress, you will want this in order to not go insane.

It's been a while since I played Shadow of Chernobyl, so I don't have a lot of general gameplay advice for you. Use food instead of bandages for healing where possible (bandages also cure bleeding, so if you aren't bleeding you don't want to waste them), remember where you saw lots of anomalies so you can come back later and check for artifacts, don't catch too many bullets with your face...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A few other things about Europa 1400/The Guild now that this thread got me playing again:

Hold the right mouse button over almost any person or object to bring up tooltips that tell you exactly what the object does, or who a person is. Simply tapping right mouse will exit the screen you're in. Yes, this is pretty frustrating.

Always explore each of your businesses thoroughly, it's sometimes easy to overlook an entire room.

Related to this, each room in a building serves different purposes, and each has different important upgrades if you click the "improve" button. If you click "options" when you have an entire building selected, you can do various things with it, clicking "extend" can add more rooms or improve your outside security.

I suggest playing the game in Free Mode, the other modes just aren't very interesting, sadly.

You spend AP by either doing stuff in your house. Use it to train yourself, primarily, allowing you to upgrade your profession.

Click your name on the top to bring up even more options. This is how you court a bride, something you should do starting on day 1. Check back each 'day' to continue courting her by buying her stuff, if you want to speed up the process.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 12, 2010

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
It looks like I'll have a cart-only copy of Knights in the Nightmare heading my way soon, and knowing what I've heard about this game, it's a daunting task to learn it, so, where should I start?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

sexual rickshaw posted:

It looks like I'll have a cart-only copy of Knights in the Nightmare heading my way soon, and knowing what I've heard about this game, it's a daunting task to learn it, so, where should I start?

Honestly, it's one of those games where playing is the best way to learn. The in-game tutorial is good enough for the basics, and if you get stuck, you can grind items and levels in the practice areas. Also, don't force yourself to play on Hard or try to get every character the first time through. You'll fail.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I'd like to toss out Dragon Age: Awakening.
I played and finished Origins twice last year, picked up Awakening when it was released but didn't really have time to dig into it, decided it's time to finally give it a thorough go. Is it structured in the same way as Origins? If so, what area is best to start in? Is Runecrafting any good?

Oghren's joining ceremony is the best thing in the game, by far.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's some good tips for Alan Wake. Coming in the mail on Wednesday, so there is plenty of time to get me prepared for the game before it arrives.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Rirse posted:

What's some good tips for Alan Wake. Coming in the mail on Wednesday, so there is plenty of time to get me prepared for the game before it arrives.

Play on Hard your first time through. It's not a terribly difficult game. Learn how to dodge and do it a lot, and watch out for splotches of yellow glow-in-the-dark paint.

Oh, and don't be afraid to use your flashbangs/flares/flaregun. You lose your weapons at the end of every chapter, and there are usually places that you should use them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I know it's an old game, but Digimon World?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I know it's an old game, but Digimon World?

Good lord is the digi-volution system convoluted. I would recommend looking up a guide and sticking to it, since what I remember was it was not only confusing but really easy to screw yourself out of actually powerful digivolutions.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Any good tips for Final Fantasy XIII with regards to item upgrading? I just started the 2nd disc (chapter 5 I think) and I have not upgraded a single weapon or accessory. I mainly am not sure which weapon each person will end up using and I don't want to upgrade the wrong one.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

Any good tips for Final Fantasy XIII with regards to item upgrading? I just started the 2nd disc (chapter 5 I think) and I have not upgraded a single weapon or accessory. I mainly am not sure which weapon each person will end up using and I don't want to upgrade the wrong one.

You really don't need to worry about upgrading until the endgame, it's just not really that helpful until then, the gains are marginal. You might be able to have some advantages from it but you can easily get by without.

Palleon fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 13, 2010

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Repelex posted:

Any Wipeout HD racing tips?

Turn off that "auto-assist" feature, first and foremost.

Don't forget to use the L2 and R2 bumpers for strafing. Comes in handy when you know you're going to hit a wall. It can slow you down somewhat, but not nearly as much as if you hit or scrape along a wall or barrier.

Pulling your nose up while getting airborne will soften your landing, slightly. Alternatively, pushing your nose down will cause you to plummet faster.

Tilt your nose down to turn sharper, and up to turn more slowly.

If you get one, always hold on to the speed boost power-up when you're nearing the end of the race, comes in handy if you're still in second or third and need to blast past your opponents.

Race with different vehicles and find which one you like the best. Don't rely on what the stats say so much. One vehicle will say it handles like poo poo, but it's really fast, but you may come to find that you actually like the handling on that vehicle.

Moa Therma owns.

-e grammar

Remote User fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 13, 2010

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Barudak posted:

Good lord is the digi-volution system convoluted. I would recommend looking up a guide and sticking to it, since what I remember was it was not only confusing but really easy to screw yourself out of actually powerful digivolutions.

The guides seem helpful about what stats you need to get and all that, but I have no idea which Digimon are worth getting or how to start out or whatever. It's been so long since I watched the cartoon that I forget which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

The guides seem helpful about what stats you need to get and all that, but I have no idea which Digimon are worth getting or how to start out or whatever. It's been so long since I watched the cartoon that I forget which ones are good and which ones are bad.

I can guarantee that the whole aguman/greymon/metalgreymon line is solid. As for the others, you need to look them up because the games vary wildly between editions. Hell in one of them the turd-digimon is one of the strongest in the game.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Couldn't see it on the Wiki, but I just fired up Caesar III and although I think I get the basics, any and all tips are welcome because I'm getting torn apart by almost every issue you can have.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Monkey Island One and Two on the 360?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

Monkey Island One and Two on the 360?

Just use the hints when you get stuck, and in One, look under the table, not on the stove. You'll get it when you get there and save yourself a lot of rage.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I got Thief: Deadly Shadows in the Steam sale, there's nothing on the wiki and I really don't feel like digging through a 100-page thread. Are there any mods or add-ons I should know about before installing, or just general tips?

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just use the hints when you get stuck, and in One, look under the table, not on the stove. You'll get it when you get there and save yourself a lot of rage.

Man I think I was using the in-game hints at the time and that really pissed me off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Repelex posted:

Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl.
Remember to hunt for artifacts, even if they don't seem that useful in the beginning. However, any artifact which has the side effect of increasing your radiation will quickly kill you unless paired with one that reduces radiation.

Install the "No quest time limit" and "Traders repair weapons and armor" mods to avoid a lot of unnecessary frustration.

If you can lure the military base guys in the very first level into attacking the rookie village (by killing a guy or two and retreating) you can help wipe out the military outpost and get a lot of loot + guns that are great for this section of the game.

Allying with Duty or Freedom is really only recommended for the second playthrough. On the first one, just go Loner so that no formerly friendly locations become incredibly annoying to go through.