Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Blakles posted:

But there's light all over her face?

the camera captures the image faster than how long it takes for the pupils to contract from exposure to the strobes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?
^^^^Curses :mad: ^^^^

Blakles posted:

When you photograph with strobes, the eyes don't have time to constrict.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
^^^^dammit!^^^^

Blakles posted:

He's using a flash, so the duration of the light is shorter than the time it takes the eye to react to the light. If he took a couple of follow up pictures, you'd see the pupil getting smaller and smaller.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Blakles posted:

For a split second. Not long enough for the pupils to react.

EDIT: I regret nothing.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

haha, that was great.

Because we've got a mix of styles of portrait shooters here, I was wondering what everyone's attitudes were regarding post processing. Especially with things like using liquify to alter facial shapes and slim people down.

At first I was all "raaar, straight out of camera bitches" but now I'm doing a lot more post.

This is what I was messing around with earlier just to work with airbrushing and liquify. Just quick and dirty. I know the shoulder got a little messed up.

edit: bah, accidentally linked them giant. will fix in a bit

Hanpan
Dec 5, 2004

Blakles posted:

I'm new to photography so forgive me if this is a stupid question to the rest of you experts, but how did you keep her pupils so big? Did you just photoshop them like that afterward or was it something you did with the lighting during the shoot?

Sorry I missed your question. I actually don't know how this happened... Since I was using hotshoe strobes for the shoot, when I was focusing I'd quickly flick the overhead lights on, focus, then flick them off again, I wonder if her pupils are a side effect of that?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

Paragon8 posted:

haha, that was great.

Because we've got a mix of styles of portrait shooters here, I was wondering what everyone's attitudes were regarding post processing. Especially with things like using liquify to alter facial shapes and slim people down.

At first I was all "raaar, straight out of camera bitches" but now I'm doing a lot more post.

This is what I was messing around with earlier just to work with airbrushing and liquify. Just quick and dirty. I know the shoulder got a little messed up.

edit: bah, accidentally linked them giant. will fix in a bit

I use clone/heal to take out any blemishes, dodge the eyes a bit then run levels and curves. I like my work to look some-what realistic since I'm not shooting commercial or fashion work. I'd rather the person think they looked really good then think I was really good at photoshopping them.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
EDIT: Yeah there was two pages between this and what I was replying to.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Did a shoot for one of my friends recently. I'm still really new to working with a model (or model-type subject) and directing, adjusting little details while I shoot, etc. I keep going back and kicking myself for little nitpicky things I notice later but didn't catch in the moment.

right before I stomped down that plant in the foreground:doh:

The set (unedited except for a couple): http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_bradshaw/sets/72157624451407178/

red19fire
May 26, 2010

AtomicManiac posted:

I use clone/heal to take out any blemishes, dodge the eyes a bit then run levels and curves. I like my work to look some-what realistic since I'm not shooting commercial or fashion work. I'd rather the person think they looked really good then think I was really good at photoshopping them.

I'm in this boat, too. A protrait should show someone their best self. I think photoshop should be a 10% program, as in getting a photo that's 90% of the way there to 100%. Not the substitute for technical knowledge that the "terrible photographers" thread has shown.

To that end, here is my first ever attempt at raw processing a photo. Shot raw, adjusted WB & exposure in UFRaw, edited (dodged eyes, healed blemishes, changed levels) in GIMP. Took me about an hour, but I think the final product makes it worthwhile.

Possibly :nws: due to lingerie/cleavage. http://www.flickr.com/photos/chayden/4777713230/

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

She looks stoned :(

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
Yea, that's a pretty bad expression/pose.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

She looks stoned :(

I was aiming for sultry :smith:. Here's another one from the set, which is hopefully more of the 'smoldering' look i was going for. I need a creative partner or something, I'm pretty bad at interpreting facial expressions.

:nws:http://www.flickr.com/photos/chayden/4777989339/

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

red19fire posted:

I was aiming for sultry :smith:. Here's another one from the set, which is hopefully more of the 'smoldering' look i was going for. I need a creative partner or something, I'm pretty bad at interpreting facial expressions.

:nws:http://www.flickr.com/photos/chayden/4777989339/

It's pretty much the same as the first.

I think you need to play with your lighting and composition more. It's mostly flat lighting which reduces the photo to "just look at this person" which in this case is just an unhappy looking girl squeezing her big boobs together. Try placing the flash in different places.. maybe a silhouette shot would have worked better for her since it seems her facial expressions are kinda weak.

Content:

Took this on top of a mountain last night.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
This is my first "shoot" with my Alienbee. After spending the night, my friend/"assistant" made me pancakes. So I threw up my light and took a few shots.

Strobist: Alienbee B-800 through a 30" shoot-through umbrella at 1/32 power. I feel like her face is a little blown out, but it might just be because she's so incredibly pale. It's not as bad on the shots in color, though she's a step back:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It might be my laptop monitor but she looks pretty blue.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

AtomicManiac posted:

Top one is a LOT more flattering due to softer shadows and blow outs. She's aged 10 years in the second one.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

Click here for the full 847x1270 image.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

That's awesome work, I love how the shadow he casts brings out the texture of the floor.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

What kind of lighting setup did you use?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

It looks to me like it was a single strobe fired from behind.

On an unrelated note, What kind of poses give people the slimmest look? I tried putting them side-ways but it came out weird. I also feel weird yelling "Suck in your gut fatty!". Any tips for that? I've learned that I need to go over basics of posing with people, especially musicians who aren't going to have any knowledge of how to look best for the camera, though truth be told I only know a few tips to pass along.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 18, 2010

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002
Borrowed some lights to play with. I think I am starting to get the hang of them.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

On an unrelated note, What kind of poses give people the slimiest look? I tried putting them side-ways but it came out weird. I also feel weird yelling "Suck in your gut fatty!". Any tips for that? I've learned that I need to go over basics of posing with people, especially musicians who aren't going to have any knowledge of how to look best for the camera, though truth be told I only know a few tips to pass along.

A cheap suit and a fake smile go a long way. If it's a guy, maybe a pedo-stache.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Elemeno^P posted:

Borrowed some lights to play with. I think I am starting to get the hang of them.

I like these. What kind of a light set up did you use?

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Spelling America with a K are we?

Elemeno^P
Aug 13, 2002

aliencowboy posted:

I like these. What kind of a light set up did you use?

I had an Elinchrom D-lite 4, camera left, up high with a 25" softbox. Camera right, I was using a gold reflector panel, and a speedlight behind our heads for some rim lighting. I am triggering the strobe's photocell by daisy-chaining together a couple off-camera flash cords connected to the speedlight.

Kinda hacky, but it works.

Anti_Social
Jan 1, 2007

My problem is you dancing all the time

a foolish pianist posted:

That was a flash camera-right with a strip softbox, and a flash on the other side of the door behind him. It gave a perfect wraparound on his face, so it really does look like light is coming from everywhere.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

AtomicManiac posted:

It looks to me like it was a single strobe fired from behind.

On an unrelated note, What kind of poses give people the slimmest look? I tried putting them side-ways but it came out weird. I also feel weird yelling "Suck in your gut fatty!". Any tips for that? I've learned that I need to go over basics of posing with people, especially musicians who aren't going to have any knowledge of how to look best for the camera, though truth be told I only know a few tips to pass along.

Directly from the side actually makes people look fatter because it shows the stomach so prominently (like in maternity shots). Try a 3/4, and the RIGHT CLOTHES (this makes a biiig deal) Big belts can help define a waist, and clothes that aren't too big (this makes people look bigger). If you don't have control over the clothes, try getting them to be more dynamic so they engage some muscles and get some kind of definition.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Whitezombi posted:

I would desat the oranges a tad... I'm sure it's entirely plausible that her skin was really that color or maybe my work monitor blows, but this photo has an "atomic orange" kinda vibe. Otherwise it's a nice casual portrait.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

RangerScum posted:

I would desat the oranges a tad... I'm sure it's entirely plausible that her skin was really that color or maybe my work monitor blows, but this photo has an "atomic orange" kinda vibe. Otherwise it's a nice casual portrait.

He. :science:

Hmmmm I'll have to look at it at home - it does look a little saturated on my work monitors. Thanks.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Whitezombi posted:

I keep going back and forth between her face and the mask in the top left. It's quite distracting. The color looks fine though.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

This guy is one of the best Indonesian mask makers in the world - I had to get some of his masks behind him. I tweaked the color a little.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
First real portrait session ever..

Thought I'd try my hand at portrait/glamor shooting, as one of my photographer friends was bringing around her newbie model friend for a few test shots.

Arinel
Aug 16, 2006
How does the water of the brain yield the wine of conscious experience? - Some one quoted it once.

Cyberbob posted:

First real portrait session ever..

Thought I'd try my hand at portrait/glamor shooting, as one of my photographer friends was bringing around her newbie model friend for a few test shots.

I really don't like the angle on this photo. It feels very cramped.
She looks good though, and the colours are all nice together.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
I've got a shoot tomorrow with a model who's missing a leg. Any tips on posing her without drawing too much attention to that fact?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Fragrag posted:

I've got a shoot tomorrow with a model who's missing a leg. Any tips on posing her without drawing too much attention to that fact?

Why? I mean, I know why you wouldn't actually want to draw attention to it, but I assume you mean "minimize it." Normal posing, normal shots, just with only one leg, is the way to go. She's not trying to make it appear she has two legs, right?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Fragrag posted:

Use the clone tool in processing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

Not blowing them out in the first place would help (turn on the blinkies!), but yeah once it's done there's not much you can get out of them.

I'm probably about to embarrass myself by asking but what are blinkies referring to in this case?