Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Dakana I really don't like the first one. The couple probably does but when I look into the grooms shirt it's like looking into the sun. If you like the exposure on the face, keep it, but burn his shirt so you can see some definition in it... wrinkles, folds, buttons. Right now they're barely visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

JaundiceDave posted:

For the one with the lightning and the city, I'd run a -20% or so saturation brush over some of the buildings. With a shot like this, it's good to have a dramatic contrast between the sky and foreground with the intensity of their color.
I can't get this to look good, but I'll keep trying. Maybe if I darken the buildings too.

I'm not quite sure I understand how the Lightroom 3/Flickr syncing works. It seems to take forever, as if it's reuploading my photos, each time I hit the publish button. It updates all the titles, captions and tags at least, which is pretty cool.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Penpal posted:

Dakana I really don't like the first one. The couple probably does but when I look into the grooms shirt it's like looking into the sun. If you like the exposure on the face, keep it, but burn his shirt so you can see some definition in it... wrinkles, folds, buttons. Right now they're barely visible.

I think the whole photo might look better -1EV with a selective exposure brush on the faces to brighten them up a little. I'm thinking in Lightroom terms of course. And this is just a guess. As for the processing, except for the exposure on the first one I think they're all amazing. I love the warming.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
There's a friend of many of my friends who is a photographer, and posts all her sets on facebook, and I've noticed nearly all her shots are as bright as dakana's first one. I always want to comment on it, but don't, since most of the time it's on pictures of friends' newborns or their weddings.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.
What's the "Correct way" to do HDR? I went out shooting the sun-rise this morning and ended up trying out the Auto-Exposure Bracketing while I was shooting some trees in the fore-ground with the sun-rise in the background. What's the best way to combine the 3 shots into one great image? HDR? Using Layers and Blending modes?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If the range is not too crazy, this works fine (CS3, so things might not be 100% the same in 5).

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Most folks in the Dorkroom prefer exposure blending to typical HDR. Here is a decent primer on the process.
http://photodoto.com/exposure-blending-tutorial/

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Thanks for all of the feedback, guys. I feel a lot better and am pretty excited with the results.

Penpal posted:

And now I'm wondering if maybe my monitor's brightness is a bit off. I'll go back and re-do that one, but the shirt and dress aren't oppressively bright on my screen.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

These all look excellent except I think the first one could afford to lose a half stop of brightness, it's pushing the boundaries of zone IX.

Agreed. The white shirt is bleeding into the background a little too much.

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
How does this look?

Being home alone leaves you no option but to practice on yourself, but after and hour plus staring at my own face I think I'm about to :suicide:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My girlfriend was using a Canon 20x super-zoom from the 300-level stands. They seem salvageable. I didn't want to bring my PEN in case security decided the old giant lens I'd be using makes the camera too "professional." (But photography with "non-professional" equipment was wholly encouraged.)

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?
Looks like CGI, to be honest.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?

Being home alone leaves you no option but to practice on yourself, but after and hour plus staring at my own face I think I'm about to :suicide:

On my laptop it looks fine...here on my crt it's an underexposed muddy mess.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?
Why's your original (I'm guess out of camera) so underexposed? Push it til you're just about to clip.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?

It's a pretty big improvement, the only thing I'm wondering is, why aren't you wearing a shirt? It'd be one thing if you had more of your body in the shot, but to me that just says "Hey Ladies, I do photography naked"

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

unprofessional posted:

I was thinking "like a CGI render." Too smoothed out and the contrast looks wrong in a way I can't quite describe. I think you started too dark and smoothed it out too much.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street
Did you hit it with the Draganizer action?

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

unprofessional posted:

GWBBQ posted:

I was thinking "like a CGI render." Too smoothed out and the contrast looks wrong in a way I can't quite describe. I think you started too dark and smoothed it out too much.

Yer im thinking this now I have been back and looked at it a few hours later. About the smoothness though, the focus isnt spot on so it was pretty soft out of the camera.

evil_bunnY posted:

Why's your original (I'm guess out of camera) so underexposed? Push it til you're just about to clip.

Just trying to practice post on different stuff, I underexposed this and clipped the shoulder and background on purpose so I could have a go at rebuilding that stuff and getting it right, not that I would take something that underexposed anyway, but just incase.

AtomicManiac posted:

It's a pretty big improvement, the only thing I'm wondering is, why aren't you wearing a shirt? It'd be one thing if you had more of your body in the shot, but to me that just says "Hey Ladies, I do photography naked"

Two reasons for this, it was a hot and sweaty day, and rebuilding the shoulder thing.

Really need to get my monitor calibrated, might just rent a pantone from calumet for the day.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party
Need to get a better post processing system down and looking at Kelby's latest Lightroom 3 Book especially for the 7 point system. Anyone have any feedback about this book or his 7 point system in general on Lightroom?

brad industry
May 22, 2004

fronkpies posted:

How does this look?

Retouching looks pretty good to me, maybe a tiny bit soft on the skin but it doesn't really stick out to me unless you really look. Your shoulders look weird - did you flip them to get your head centered? It looks like you have no collar bone.

Nice image though - I like that light.

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

calcio posted:

Need to get a better post processing system down and looking at Kelby's latest Lightroom 3 Book especially for the 7 point system. Anyone have any feedback about this book or his 7 point system in general on Lightroom?
Kelby's stuff's OK, though he has a disturbing habit of telling people to flatten images in photoshop waaaaay too often (ie: at all). For my money, if you want to learn what Lightroom does and how to drive it, Martin Evening is the writer to look for.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!

SirRobin posted:

Kelby's stuff's OK, though he has a disturbing habit of telling people to flatten images in photoshop waaaaay too often (ie: at all). For my money, if you want to learn what Lightroom does and how to drive it, Martin Evening is the writer to look for.

Thanks for this. I bought LR3 as soon as it came out after having used the Beta for a few month but I've just been playing with it and not really using it "properly" with no real workflow to speak of.

I had a look at Scott Kelby's site and video advert for his LR3 book and it seemed like it might be a bit easier to get into, I flicked through his digital photography book a while back.

I ended up buying Martin Evening's book off amazon based on this recommendation and since its already out so hopefully I'll actually learn how to use LR3 properly.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Nevermind. Just needed an update.

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 16, 2010

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

SirRobin posted:

Thank you. I read this on my BlackBerry at work yesterday ... impulsively ordered it on Amazon.ca. $41 CAD with free-shipping, and it awaited me when I got home from work today. This book is absolutely phenomenal. I didn't look too closely at the item except to read reviews, I'm shocked at how large and detailed it is.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What settings can I change to make CS5 and LR3 run better on my old outdated macbook? I probably won't be able to upgrade my computer for another 6 months but I'm just looking for a way to make this bearable in the mean time.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SirRobin posted:

Is flattening images bad? I use gimp, and it doesn't let me save raw as a jpg unless I flatten it.

I'm just getting into photo retouching and manipulation, and all this stuff is just mind boggling.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Flattening the image is destroying all the data and changes you made, pretty much zero reason to ever do it to your master file since you can just export it to something like TIFF/JPEG to get a smaller file size without the layers.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
I just upgrade to CS5 recently and I saved some photos today and after I uploaded to my site I noticed that the uploaded ones look super washed out. It looks like CS5 is saving them as Adobe 1998 of sRGB. Would this be causing that much of a difference, and why is is saving in Adobe instead of sRGB like CS4 has been doing the entire time Ive had it?

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

Bojanglesworth posted:

why is is saving in Adobe instead of sRGB like CS4 has been doing the entire time Ive had it?

I'm going to go waaaaay out on a limb here and guess it's because you haven't told it to save as sRGB. Check your colour space settings.

Sigvard
Mar 12, 2005

Protect Ya Neck, Kid
(from crowbars)
I need some Lightroom help right for a problem that's been driving me crazy. All of a sudden my Import Dialog screen isn't rendering previews properly for images still on the camera. The thumbnails are really tiny and clicking on them does not let me see the full-size previews like it did before. I suspect this started when I imported a video from my phone since the import thumbnails all have black bars as if they all have a strict aspect ratio.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Is there a way to collapse a mask into one step in an images history. I'm working with an image and the mask I'm making is chewing up all kinds of memory. I don't need to keep every single step of the mask!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Is there a way to collapse a mask into one step in an images history. I'm working with an image and the mask I'm making is chewing up all kinds of memory. I don't need to keep every single step of the mask!

Make a snapshot before the mask and after it is applied. Then you can purge the history if you want.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

8th-samurai posted:

Make a snapshot before the mask and after it is applied. Then you can purge the history if you want.

Thanks. I knew there must be an easy way to do that.

Edit: Hmmm...that did seem to help, but not as much as I was hoping. I guess the mask itself still takes up a lot of memory.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2010

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I know this has been asked a few times, but I can't seem to find the answer in here from a quick flick through - what is the best way to merge LR catalogues?

I have an old catalog on my old PC, which I recently started working with again. I also have a copy of it on my laptop, with much newer photos on it. I need to merge, because there are changes in both that I don't want to lose.

The one on my laptop is now a LR3 catalog, I'm guessing I'll need to wait until I have a proper internet connection again and upgrade to LR3 on my PC?

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
I decided to take a crack at some of this the other day. Below is the original image I started with, on which I had hoped to darken the sky while bringing up the exposure on the foreground.

My first attempt involved quick selecting the sky in Photoshop, cutting down the low levels, then inverse selecting the buildings and bringing up the exposure. Unfortunately, doing so revealed a garish green fringe around the top of the roof. I had some success trying to desaturate it, but it still left a very noticeable demarcation between the differently adjusted areas. I must have reprocessed this miserable image 10 times trying to get it to go away, refining and feathering my selections and bumbling around with masks, before I finally got something that looked passably like what I had in mind:

I finally ended up just making a duplicate layer, masking it, then making my adjustments and fudging around with the erase tool for about 20 minutes. Any comments or advice? This is the first time I've really had to experiment with Photoshop to get an image to behave, so any words of wisdom or sycophantic praises are welcome.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Future advice would be to bracket a couple more exposures, align the layers in Photoshop and then use masks to combine the layers.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Thanks. I knew there must be an easy way to do that.

Edit: Hmmm...that did seem to help, but not as much as I was hoping. I guess the mask itself still takes up a lot of memory.

Masks are just alpha channels, it's not really adding much to the file size.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

brad industry posted:

Masks are just alpha channels, it's not really adding much to the file size.

It's not changing the file size much, but memory usage goes crazy when I'm editing this file. It's well over 1GB when editing it.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 2, 2010

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to salvage some of these photos in post processing? I had to bump up the ISO cause I was shooting at night.

They just dont look...normal.

Click here for the full 766x1024 image.

I dont know how to even begin fixing it in lightroom besides playing with sliders.

Or this one -

Click here for the full 1024x591 image.

This one is fine, except I had just shot a bunch of pics inside a darkish-room, So the ISO is 1250, and its noticeably noisy. Anything I can do?

I have RAWs of both.

Link to SA Mart thread since I might need some major help with these.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335316

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Saint Celestine posted:

Is there any way to salvage some of these photos in post processing? I had to bump up the ISO cause I was shooting at night.

They just dont look...normal.

Click here for the full 766x1024 image.

I dont know how to even begin fixing it in lightroom besides playing with sliders.

Or this one -

Click here for the full 1024x591 image.

This one is fine, except I had just shot a bunch of pics inside a darkish-room, So the ISO is 1250, and its noticeably noisy. Anything I can do?

I have RAWs of both.

Link to SA Mart thread since I might need some major help with these.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3335316

Tweak white balance and tint - that should help with the funky colorcast.

• Locked thread