Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

But it's not set during the cold war. Make a sub genre specific enough and every decent film is arguably the greatest.

See I literally thought he meant "Sub genre"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

InfiniteZero posted:

What if he's a newer model or a prototype like Rachael?

If you have to constantly modify the premise to make your alternate meaning make sense, then it doesn't make sense.

A lot of the theme of the story, that replicants and humans are alike in key ways, is also lost if Deckard is a replicant. If Deckard's status isn't ambiguous, then the very point--that being the ambiguity--is ruined.

"No! I must kill the replicants" he shouted

The radio said "No, Deckard. You are the replicants"

Then Deckard was a robot

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009
Just finished The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the first time. What did Tuco yell at Blondie at the very end, after "You know what you are"?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Brolita posted:

Just finished The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly for the first time. What did Tuco yell at Blondie at the very end, after "You know what you are"?

IIRC, "just a dirty son of a *record scratch*"

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Is 'Across the Universe' worth watching (not a fan of musicals as such), but something about the trailer looked interesting sort of.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Cupid Painted Blind posted:

I just saw Hellraiser (1987). I missed a few minutes of the beginning, so I have a question.

Why does she help the guy out? Unless I missed something, we are expected to believe he was SO GOOD IN BED that she would murder multiple people for a zombie should could have easily outrun?

She loathes her current husband and existence so much that she would rather nurse the monster back to life and live happily ever after.

In the novella it's more of a mystery and she's intrigued by his appearance and instant disappearance as Frank isn't a skinless man but rather he's stuck in the wall in a sort of vortex.

This curiosity aspect is explored much more in the sequel Hellbound: Hellraiser II

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

kapalama posted:

Is 'Across the Universe' worth watching (not a fan of musicals as such), but something about the trailer looked interesting sort of.

The way I explain this to people is, if you like The Beatles, you'll like the movie. If you love The Beatles you will hate this movie.

I really liked some of the visuals and some of the performances are really loving good, Dana Fuchs for instance. Some of it is also brutally embarrassing, like when they uses a song's most literal meaning for its placement in the story. 'Dear Prudence' made me want to smash my own face in.

That said, really awesome tit shot by Evan Rachel Wood and Bono is kinda cool in the movie too.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Blompkin posted:

It just doesn't make any sense, and to me, always sounded like something the director decided after the movie was finished. As a final nail in the coffin, the author of the original story, Phillip K. Dick, has him test himself at the end, and he discovers that he is human.

Scott actually bought into the idea of Deckard as a replicant during the screenwriting process, problem was just that he was the only one who had that theory. One of David Peoples' drafts ended with Deckard killing Gaff and preparing for the police to come after him, and musing in a voiceover about how whoever had designed him hadn't done much better than Tyrell could have, and how he is a "combat model" and brother of Batty in a way. It's pretty obvious Deckard is drawing a metaphysical parallel between his humanity and being a replicant, which is what Peoples intended, but Ridley Scott really loved the idea of Deckard being a replicant and that's where the hints about it during the movie come from.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, I always assumed that the movie, like the book, was meant to have Deckard question is own humanity, then realize it was because, as was said, he came to realize that the Replicants were human after all.

Oh, does anyone know why Chloe didn't get a BRD release? I was putting out the DVDs at work as I'm responsible for the New Releases, and didn't notice it was lacking one initially. Did Amanda Seyfried's lawyers prevent a HD nude of her get released or something?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 13, 2010

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Oh, does anyone know why Chloe didn't get a BRD release? I was putting out the DVDs at work as I'm responsible for the New Releases, and didn't notice it was lacking one initially. Did Amanda Seyfried's lawyers prevent a HD nude of her get released or something?
It's on Amazon. :iiam:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Crows Turn Off posted:

It's on Amazon. :iiam:

Weird, It didn't get released in Canada then.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone ever seen a (French, I think?) animated film called Time Masters (or Maitres du Temps, whatevs)? I was wondering if it ever got an English release anywhere. It was obviously animated with the English voices, but as of a few years ago it had only been released in French and Russian, dubbed with English subtitles.

I wanted it so much that I ended up making my own version by taking the Russian DVD and using an old VHS recording of one of the two times it's ever been shown on TV, splicing in the English voices.

I'm not particularly optimistic, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew about it. I've always loved it, the visuals were incredible (at the time?) what with being based on the art of Mœbius.

vvv That's cold, man.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jul 14, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Akuma posted:

Has anyone ever seen a (French, I think?) animated film called Time Masters (or Maitres du Temps, whatevs)? I was wondering if it ever got an English release anywhere. It was obviously animated with the English voices, but as of a few years ago it had only been released in French and Russian, dubbed with English subtitles.

I wanted it so much that I ended up making my own version by taking the Russian DVD and using an old VHS recording of one of the two times it's ever been shown on TV, splicing in the English voices.

I'm not particularly optimistic, but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone knew about it. I've always loved it, the visuals were incredible (at the time?) what with being based on the art of Mœbius.

I've seen it, but not on DVD. I think it's a crappy looking movie, but I really hate Moebius' style.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

kapalama posted:

Across the Universe is a movie that is enjoyable for the first 70-80 minutes or so, and then again for the last 10. In my opinion, after "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" (my favorite scene), the movie starts to drag. Then, about half an hour later, around the point with "Happiness is a Warm Gun" and "Hey Jude", the movie picks up again. I think it would have been a lot better if it were consistent and didn't take itself so seriously in the last third. Honestly, the movie goes from "Light-hearted romance with Beatles songs" to ":2bong:" to "VIETNAM IS SUPER SERIOUS, GUYS" to "Light-hearted romance with Beatles songs".

The musical numbers are, for the most part, very well-done. "Let it Be" and "Come Together" make up a phenomenal 10 minutes, "I've Just Seen a Face" is a fun number, and "I Want You" is just brilliant. That said, there are also songs that could easily have been cut. "Dear Prudence" had no place in the movie. As a matter of fact, Prudence herself had no place in the movie. She literally contributes nothing.

All in all, I think it's worth watching at least once, although your personal tastes will determine whether it's worth watching again.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

You guys suck. "Dear Prudence" is my favorite part of the film aside from "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME
In a somewhat recent movie, someone briefly gives the false name "Dorcas Reilly". If it sounds familiar, she invented green bean casserole. She's also my great aunt and it's a fun piece of movie trivia but I can't remember for the life of me what movie it was. I've googled all kinds of combinations of keywords and haven't come up with anything.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

A Futbol Injustice posted:

You guys suck. "Dear Prudence" is my favorite part of the film aside from "Happiness is a Warm Gun."

Wait, Dear Prudence as in the Souxsie song? I never noticed it being in there.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

twistedmentat posted:

Wait, Dear Prudence as in the Souxsie song?

Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LesterGroans posted:

Makes me sick, motherfucker, how far we done fell

Sorry, I don't have the entire Beatles Catalog memorized.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

twistedmentat posted:

Sorry, I don't have the entire Beatles Catalog memorized.

Yeah, you should be, motherfucker.

Dear Prudence is on The White Album. It's a beautiful song and you should check it out.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

Why would you do this :\

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

No, "Dear Prudence" as in The Five Stairsteps song. I don't know what it was doing in a Beatles movie, but it's wonderful just the same.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

A Futbol Injustice posted:

Wait, you mean the Breeders song?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

FitFortDanga posted:

Wait, you mean the Breeders song?
No, I meant the Tori Amos song. Keep up.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
801's TNK; hell, even Phil Collins' TNK blows the Beatles version away. Adrian Belew's version of "I'm Down" is what the song could have, and should have, been.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

kapalama posted:

801's TNK ... blows the Beatles version away.

Dude. :respek:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The best Beatles cover is Eddie Hazel's version of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Criminal Minded posted:

The best Beatles cover is Eddie Hazel's version of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)"

I like the cut of your jib.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Criminal Minded posted:

Wrong, it's Kula Shaker's cover of Hey Jude.

I'm sure there's someone who somehow believes that it's a cover.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

twistedmentat posted:

No, Siouxsie was "Helter Skelter":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szPQCvJ8MPg

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
Is The Beatles the forums' new Bill Murray?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Rake Arms posted:

Is The Beatles the forums' new Bill Murray?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHx66ldGC0#t=00m30s

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'd be willing to bet that the average American hasn't seen a lot of classic American movies. If you're not interested in film beyond the superficial level I don't see anyone making the effort to spend the time watching movies that came out 60 years ago.

This is true, but most people have at least heard of the most famous directors and titles, either because of their parents, references in popular culture, or TV screenings. In Japan people generally think of watching "old" movies as something akin to willingly driving an old beater car when you've got a shiny new Corvette parked in the garage.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Egomaniac posted:

In Japan people generally think of watching "old" movies as something akin to willingly driving an old beater car when you've got a shiny new Corvette parked in the garage.
I think this is equivalently true if you remove `in Japan'. Especially if the emphasis is on the word `in'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

I think this is equivalently true if you remove `in Japan'. Especially if the emphasis is on the word `in'.

Well done for not mentioning anyone's mother.

CoolZidane
Jun 24, 2008

SubG posted:

Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in Japan", and I'll go down on you.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

CoolZidane posted:

Get me a jury and show me how you can say "in Japan", and I'll go down on you.

Impossible! Meaningless!

"We know a remote farm in Hokkaido, where Mrs. Yamamoto lives..."

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Session 9

So, was Mary really Gordon? Was "Mary" released from the Assylum in '85 when Danvers shut down and then "she" got married and Simon lay dormant inside "her" until "she" got boiling water spilled on "her"?.

Mary killed Peter when he hurt her, and then Gordan killed his wife when she hurt him, so are they supposed to be the same person? They did sort of an overlay of Mary's face and Gordon at the end which would seem to make this true, and I am not sure how a woman could speak with the voice of Simon unless Simon is a demonic spirit and not a personality of Gordon/Mary. If he is a spirit inhabiting the walls of Danvers, that would make sense too, I just want to make sure I didn't miss the Gordon/Mary connection.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

therattle posted:

Yeah, you should be, motherfucker.

Dear Prudence is on The White Album. It's a beautiful song and you should check it out.

That is sadly the only Beatles Album I don't own. And None of them are on my Ipod, because they're all vinyls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

That is sadly the only Beatles Album I don't own. And None of them are on my Ipod, because they're all vinyls.

Yay! We can be e-friends now, fellow Dune-fan. :)