Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's three episodes in a row now that have been clip shows. I have to say, I really don't like this trend.
The show's on break now until fall. These "Buster's Cut"s aren't clip shows they're full old episodes with pop up facts. They're running at least four of them this month not sure if they're going to keep doing them after that. Tonight was Alcohol Myths and the next three are Duct Tape Hour 2, Knock Your Socks Off and Viewers Special Threequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emancipator
Mar 6, 2001

Crotch Bat posted:

I like Andy but there's something so dickish about Jonathan that I'll never like. Fortner's a pretty good guy, though.

I'm totally opposite. I think Jonathan is decent but there's something about Andy that strikes me as dickish. I can't even really put my finger on it, I just don't like the guy.

Fortner seems pretty cool, though, and he's just so :neckbeard: about being in the captain's chair.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

the-jam posted:

The show's on break now until fall. These "Buster's Cut"s aren't clip shows they're full old episodes with pop up facts.

You say that like it's any better than a clip show. If anything, it's even lazier.

This is what I saw when I watched that episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEgCkOfl4jE

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

Gorilla Salad posted:

You say that like it's any better than a clip show. If anything, it's even lazier.

Between this poo poo and the fact that build segments / science portions are actually gone from the show, I wonder how long it'll be before Spike picks this up.

PopeOnARope fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 1, 2010

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

Gorilla Salad posted:

I was just pointing out that if we weren't getting these Buster's Cuts we'd be getting regular repeats so it doesn't matter. If you were going to watch repeats these aren't any worse and if you weren't going to watch repeats you don't have to watch them.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Jesus loving christ the end with Jake and Josh was hard to watch.

Like in a awkward, this is hosed up they are filming this, I don't feel like I should be watching this, sort of way.

StopMakingSense fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 7, 2010

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

StopMakingSense posted:

Like in a awkward, this is hosed up they are filming this, I don't feel like I should be watching this, sort of way.

I can't imagine that the camera crews were handling it much better. Makes me think that Discovery flew up like 3-4 extra cameramen to just film them.

Big Spoon
Jan 29, 2009

Want that feelin'
Need that feelin'
Love that feelin'
Feel that feelin'
Next Deadliest Catch episode is going to have me balling like a baby.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Fire Storm posted:

I can't imagine that the camera crews were handling it much better. Makes me think that Discovery flew up like 3-4 extra cameramen to just film them.

I think the cameraman actually left the room (or was thrown out) for a good chunk of that argument. Towards the end of the interior shots, it looked like the camera was being set down on a counter facing Jake and Josh, and the lack of interior shots after that makes me think they didn't have footage of a lot of what happened in there.

Has anyone figured out how Deadliest Catch and After the catch are airing next week? The ads on Discovery seem to indicate that DC will be a 2 hour episode, presumably followed by After the Catch, but the discovery.com schedule lists both shows having their normal 60 minute time slots.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

azflyboy posted:

Has anyone figured out how Deadliest Catch and After the catch are airing next week? The ads on Discovery seem to indicate that DC will be a 2 hour episode, presumably followed by After the Catch, but the discovery.com schedule lists both shows having their normal 60 minute time slots.

No idea about Discovery's site, but they might not have pushed the new schedule down to TV boxes yet. My DVR shows Deadliest Catch and After The Catch recording at their usual times next week.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!
I was really surprised at the 6 month sobriety party they threw for NW's Jake on the boat - it was a very nice moment, but still surprised me because I didn't realize he had those kind of issues. I didn't think I missed any episodes this season but maybe I did...although I know that the editors do generally skim over any really serious personal problems like that. They never said what Matt went to jail for, after all, and I think tonight's episode was the first one confirming that CM's Jake was a huge stoner, even though one look at his eyes let everyone know it.

That fight was just :smith:. I remember doing something very similar with my brother when our grandmother died, he went out drinking while I sat in the hospital with her two nights in a row, and we got into a massive fight about it. Really, really hit home. Next week I'm going to be sitting on my couch sobbing, I just know it.

Also, my dad didn't know that Phil died, and he got mad at me for spoiling the season. I told him CNN spoiled it back in January when it happened.

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

I started out this season really disliking Jonathan for the poo poo with Russ and with Kieth, but the fact he's basically staying with the Harris boys and Phil is all pretty cool and changed my opinion of him.

The fight was pretty depressing, but I have the feeling that Josh is trying to hold it all together and Jake is retreating to what he knows best. It was all nice that the two Jakes talked though... sad as hell though.

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins

That thing I sent posted:

They never said what Matt went to jail for, after all, and I think tonight's episode was the first one confirming that CM's Jake was a huge stoner, even though one look at his eyes let everyone know it.

Matt's legal issues were alcohol related, it was mentioned once.

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

StopMakingSense posted:

Pretty much all of Phil's death has been like this for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Oh what a surprise, Discover has yet ANOTHER gimmick survival show! (This one about a survival expert taking his non-survival expert wife out in the wild with him.)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sure its a different network, but if anyone needs to host a survival series, its Rudy. Dude was awesome in Apocalypse Man.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

Oh what a surprise, Discover has yet ANOTHER gimmick survival show! (This one about a survival expert taking his non-survival expert wife out in the wild with him.)

Is Discovery really suffering that much over itself that they haven't aired new Man vs. Wild in awhile?

Speaking of which, they only showed about 5 or 6 episodes of Worst Case Survival. Makes me wonder if it ended up being a failure or if it's fallen under the same haphazard scheduling the network does with all its shows.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

iastudent posted:

Is Discovery really suffering that much over itself that they haven't aired new Man vs. Wild in awhile?

Speaking of which, they only showed about 5 or 6 episodes of Worst Case Survival. Makes me wonder if it ended up being a failure or if it's fallen under the same haphazard scheduling the network does with all its shows.

I was wondering about that too. I need my Bear Grylls fix :ohdear:

I've been pleasantly surprised by Dual Survival, it has both much less dramatic bitching and many more stupid decisions per episode than I was expecting. And while granted, most notable examples of both center around Cody's silly shoefree lifestyle, he's not nearly what I was expecting from a hippie naturalist. poo poo, half the time Dave comes off as the more ignorant/inflexible one.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

muscles like this? posted:

Oh I hope she squeals about how bugs are gross and won't eat anything that looks weird and bitches loudly about having to sleep on the ground.

What's that previews? She DOES!? :neckbeard: What a refreshing change of pace!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Oh for gently caress's sake they're doing a 2nd season of The Colony.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

FogHelmut posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake they're doing a 2nd season of The Colony.

:hawaaaafap: Now all we need is another Alaska Experiment!

All Pig Be Slay
Mar 26, 2002

Speaking of mothers, let me give that oatmeal some brown sugar.

Oh I hope she squeals about how bugs are gross and won't eat anything that looks weird and bitches loudly about having to sleep on the ground.

What's that previews? She DOES!? :neckbeard: What a refreshing change of pace!

Yeah I won't be watching Man Woman Wild, but Dual Survival is just gimmicky enough to meet my stringent guidelines for watching.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Man Woman Wild has that dude who did the Bizarre Foods Survival Special. He was about as entertaining as a brick. I don't know.

Scarecrow411 posted:

:hawaaaafap: Now all we need is another Alaska Experiment!

The first one was kinda interesting with the different groups. The 2nd one was just bad.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I really enjoyed seeing Freddie on After the Catch, It's a shame they didn't talk to him more instead of just making it incredibly silent and awkward (in a good way.)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

FogHelmut posted:

The first one was kinda interesting with the different groups. The 2nd one was just bad.

I actually enjoyed the second season of the Alaska Experiment a bit more, since there was always a push to keep going and the pressure was constant. The first season was good, it just seemed a bit flat since it was a lot of sitting around and not much hunting. If they could model a season 3 after 2, but maybe stay in places a few more days each, I think it could work better.

Was there a commerical for a Colony season 2 or what? Could you get any idea where it was taking place? I'd like to see something out in the country maybe. Would be easier to make them isolated rather than the extremely fake isolation in the middle of LA.

Edit: Info on Colony season 2. It's a whole neighborhood in Louisiana. That sounds cool:

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/about/colony.html

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 8, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Teek posted:

I actually enjoyed the second season of the Alaska Experiment a bit more, since there was always a push to keep going and the pressure was constant. The first season was good, it just seemed a bit flat since it was a lot of sitting around and not much hunting. If they could model a season 3 after 2, but maybe stay in places a few more days each, I think it could work better.

Was there a commerical for a Colony season 2 or what? Could you get any idea where it was taking place? I'd like to see something out in the country maybe. Would be easier to make them isolated rather than the extremely fake isolation in the middle of LA.

The 2nd Alaska Experiment just felt like a generic reality show to me. 75% crazy people, and a few normal ones to make sure they all don't die. I liked the first one because it didn't have a traditional format, and most of the people were so inept.

The Colony 2 looks to be in Katrina land. http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/about/colony.html

The first one was so retarded with the fake raiders and all that crap.

edit - You beat me with your own edit.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sure I only lived in Fairbanks for three years, but I have an irrational hatred for shows that hint to how living up there makes you "rugged" and "tough."

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Colony 2 location on Google Street View

drat that place looks rough, nice find production crew.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The thing was that The Colony started off really cool. A nice reality show that didn't have stupid "contests" and fake drama. Just a "put these people with these skills in this area and watch them survive." And then they put the raider crap in..which I understand was to test their quick thinking and awareness, but they need to do it without the cheesiness this time. Just make it about them solving problems.

At least that's the nerd in me.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

change my name posted:

Can't wait for 3 seasons from now when they run out of myths to do and finally get around to trying some 9/11 stuff.
That would be the lowest moment of the television show because the 9/11 conspiracy theories are some of the most brain numbly stupid stuff out there. And its also been done all ready so what new information will we get out of them. The only interesting bit that they have covered that I have never heard before is that thermite will melt corneas which really makes it such a covert secret action material.

qirex posted:

I would love to see them do stuff that they probably can't because it might threaten sponsorship like weight loss gimmicks/"detoxing" or Monster Cable.
Electrosmog wouldn't be such a bad idea. They could run it as a double blind study and the sponsors would love having such idiocy exposed.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 12, 2010

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

BonoMan posted:

The thing was that The Colony started off really cool. A nice reality show that didn't have stupid "contests" and fake drama. Just a "put these people with these skills in this area and watch them survive." And then they put the raider crap in..which I understand was to test their quick thinking and awareness, but they need to do it without the cheesiness this time. Just make it about them solving problems.

At least that's the nerd in me.

They could at least throw in mutants/giant insects, that would probably top raiders.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

change my name posted:

They could at least throw in mutants/giant insects, that would probably top raiders.

Only if they include all the materials needed to make a fully functional Railway Rifle, including the steam whistle.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

change my name posted:

One of the colonists needs to find a stray dog and befriend it, only to have it valiantly give its life in battle fending off a fire-breathing ant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

PopeOnARope posted:

Between this poo poo and the fact that build segments / science portions are actually gone from the show, I wonder how long it'll be before Spike picks this up.
There's always Brainiac if you want really dumbed down Mythbusters.

JimmydaFish
Apr 23, 2008

This is some serious argy-bargy!

Not looking forward to tonight's Deadliest Catch. Just the ads for tonight have me crying a little.

That thing I sent
May 27, 2010

I'm a Bro-ny!

JimmydaFish posted:

Not looking forward to tonight's Deadliest Catch. Just the ads for tonight have me crying a little.

I've got my box of tissues ready and a copy of 101 Dalmations on standby to cheer me up after. I made the mistake of not preparing for the Pitch Men memorial to Billy Mayes. I will never again underestimate the heart strings Discovery can pull when it wants to.

:smith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I made the mistake of not preparing for the Pitch Men memorial to Billy Mayes.

Not to go too far off-topic, but I kind of wish they aired reruns or put Pitchmen on DVD. It turned out to be a better show than what people thought of it at first.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!
That wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, still with Cash playing in the background it was a little rough.

Also saw a preview for The Colony and it does look like they are going to have invaders again

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

dms666 posted:

That wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, still with Cash playing in the background it was a little rough.

Next week might be the roughest one, looking at the preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I thought they handled the end very well. They could've made it into a very heavy drama fest because you know they had footage, but they played it classy.

• Locked thread