Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is it normal for air (temperature varies depending on what I have the knob sitting at) to blow out *very* softly when I haven't turned on the fan? I've noticed that sometimes I have the air on hot, and it's *very* slightly blowing hot air when I haven't engaged the fan; it's annoying, I can live with it, but just wondering if it was normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Mitten
Jul 3, 2004
Glove of doom

Dr. Jackal posted:

Mine is a 2010 Golf TDI... I haven't seen anything that screams at me to change gears (and I've gone almost to 5 on the first gear trying to shoot out of a parking lot).

edit: Time to dig through the owner's manual woo.

It's in the top right corner of the display if it helps. Sounds like it isn't in VW's then sorry.

teh jhey
May 23, 2004

Kitty needs more souls.

obi_ant posted:

Is it normal for air (temperature varies depending on what I have the knob sitting at) to blow out *very* softly when I haven't turned on the fan? I've noticed that sometimes I have the air on hot, and it's *very* slightly blowing hot air when I haven't engaged the fan; it's annoying, I can live with it, but just wondering if it was normal.

That's been normal on any car I've ever driven. It's air coming in from outside, unassisted by the fan.

If you don't like it, you can hit the recirculate button and close off the vents, but it'll get a bit stuffy.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

obi_ant posted:

Yeah it's normal. Just switch the vents to blow air at your feet or something.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

DropShadow posted:

My A4 is at the Audi dealer right now getting a new turbo because of this. The extra money I paid for a certified car just paid for itself.

I always recommend CPO coverage for reasons like this. Good decision.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

The crappy thing is that the new turbo didn't solve the problem, so it's going back in on Monday. But hey, free turbo, right?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

DropShadow posted:

The crappy thing is that the new turbo didn't solve the problem, so it's going back in on Monday. But hey, free turbo, right?

What's the original complaint and what year is your A4?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
(B6 A4 3.0L)For the last couple of days I've had some minor power issues under hard acceleration. I'll basically be accelerating up to 4k rpm(in any gear) and I'll feel the car lightly stutter in what seems like a few sparks being missed.

I have no idea if the 55k service was performed on this car or not. I got it at ~57k and it's now at ~63k. I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter and spark plugs(coil packs were replaced under a recall like 3-4 months ago.)

gsr, would you say this is a good plan of action? Sorry if this is way vague, but I have no serious symptoms yet and would like to prevent this from becoming a problem.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

RapeWhistle posted:

(B6 A4 3.0L)For the last couple of days I've had some minor power issues under hard acceleration. I'll basically be accelerating up to 4k rpm(in any gear) and I'll feel the car lightly stutter in what seems like a few sparks being missed.

I have no idea if the 55k service was performed on this car or not. I got it at ~57k and it's now at ~63k. I'm going to go ahead and replace the fuel filter and spark plugs(coil packs were replaced under a recall like 3-4 months ago.)

gsr, would you say this is a good plan of action? Sorry if this is way vague, but I have no serious symptoms yet and would like to prevent this from becoming a problem.

I'd bet on the plugs being the cause, especially if they weren't changed at the 55k interval. Also make sure the coils are all pressed firmly onto the plugs - there's actually a supplemental service bulletin right now for cars that have misfires due to the recall-replaced coils not being installed correctly. I highly doubt changing your fuel filter will help unless you buy a lot of poor quality fuel - it won't hurt and it's easy to change though.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

What's the original complaint and what year is your A4?

2005.5 (B7) A4 quattro, 6spd, 2.0T: High-pitched whine comes in at 5160rpm.

Replaced in the last month:
Turbo
PCV
DV
Cam follower

Just had the 55k service last week.

There's no negative performance related to the noise, but I've got just under a year left on the CPO warranty (7/9/2011), so I want it taken care of before it has a chance to turn into a big issue. Luckily, my Audi dealer has been very helpful (surprisingly) and willing to keep trying to track it down.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Are the issues(Cam follower, HPFP, DV, AC compressor, anything else?) with the 2.0T FSI overstated?

Edmunds.com has 4 or 5 positive reviews to one negative review. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the website since it's pretty subjective and no control over the sample.

GolfMKV users seem to be of two minds: (a)Don't waste your money on an 06-07 get a late 08 (b)of course you're only going to see negatives. No one posts a thread about how reliable their car is. Take it all with a grain of salt.

VWVortex is more or less the same.

I don't really trust other forums so what is the general consensus(reliability wise), if any, about 06-07 MKV GTIs or the engine?

vains fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 11, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

DropShadow posted:

2005.5 (B7) A4 quattro, 6spd, 2.0T: High-pitched whine comes in at 5160rpm.

Replaced in the last month:
Turbo
PCV
DV
Cam follower

Just had the 55k service last week.

There's no negative performance related to the noise, but I've got just under a year left on the CPO warranty (7/9/2011), so I want it taken care of before it has a chance to turn into a big issue. Luckily, my Audi dealer has been very helpful (surprisingly) and willing to keep trying to track it down.

I had one 2.0T in an Eos do something like this only at idle and it turned out to be a bad PCV. I see you've already had it replaced so that's not likely. I had a quick look through technical bulletins for your car but there's nothing there for a complaint like yours either. If you have the car out of gear and stationary and rev the engine to 5160 RPM does it still make the noise?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Veins McGee posted:

Are the issues(Cam follower, HPFP, DV, AC compressor, anything else?) with the 2.0T FSI overstated?

Edmunds.com has 4 or 5 positive reviews to one negative review. I don't put a whole lot of stock in the website since it's pretty subjective and no control over the sample.

GolfMKV users seem to be of two minds: (a)Don't waste your money on an 06-07 get a late 08 (b)of course you're only going to see negatives. No one posts a thread about how reliable their car is. Take it all with a grain of salt.

VWVortex is more or less the same.

I don't really trust other forums so what is the general consensus(reliability wise), if any, about 06-07 MKV GTIs or the engine?

The problems you have listed aren't overstated - I've seen all of them several times, especially the cam/cam follower, but overall the Golf/Rabbit has easily been the best of the newer VW vehicles in every department. The majority of problems like the cam follower and A/C compressor have shown up well within the warranty period so they've been an inconvenience for owners but the repairs have been done with upgraded parts so they usually don't re-occur. The only real complaint I've had with the newer Golf/Rabbits has been the fuel mileage with the 2.5L engine - it's pretty thirsty but it's also powerful enough to run with the A4-style VR6 engined GTI so it's a trade-off.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Here is a thread with common problems and fixes for the 2.0T that I found linked from one of the other forums the other day: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24952

Lot of stuff in there with pictures so it might be useful to someone.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.

MALCOLM XTREME posted:

We own 3 Audis and have had incessant technical problems with all of them. How reliable are the B5 A4's? Some guy in my area is offering up a manual B5 A4 3.0 quattro with all the options and whatever for 11k, with under 50k miles, and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Is this thing really going to leach, say, $10k more than owning a Japanese econocar shitbox?

I don't know much about the Audis, but I have two B5 Passats. My '98 is a terrible lemon; I've had repeated issues with everything from the drivetrain to the interior. On the other hand, I have a '04 B5.5 Passat with a similar mileage (130k) which has been practically bulletproof - lots of little improvements to the B5 design throughout. This is anecdotal, of course, but it's sort of an extreme example of the general consensus. VAG was making some awful cars in the late 90s and early 00s, but started to get their act together in the mid-00s. So, I guess, my decision on the car would depend on the model year.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

my1999gsr posted:

I had one 2.0T in an Eos do something like this only at idle and it turned out to be a bad PCV. I see you've already had it replaced so that's not likely. I had a quick look through technical bulletins for your car but there's nothing there for a complaint like yours either. If you have the car out of gear and stationary and rev the engine to 5160 RPM does it still make the noise?

I've never revved it that high while sitting still, but the dealer is the one who came up with the 5160rpm number, so I assume that means that they have and that it persists. It's going back to the dealer tomorrow morning. I'm curious to see how far they go to track it down or if they give up at some point.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes
I'm considering retrofitting steering wheel radio controls. It looks like I'm going to have to replace the airbag unit to do this, as the controls are built into it. If I get a unit with steering wheel controls off ebay and swap them out, should I be okay? As in, will the new airbag explode in my face or turn on my airbag light or MIL? 02 A6 btw.

Neon Machete fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 12, 2010

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

I'm considering retrofitting steering wheel radio controls. It looks like I'm going to have to replace the airbag unit to do this, as the controls are built into it. If I get a unit with steering wheel controls off ebay and swap them out, should I be okay? As in, will the new airbag explode in my face or turn on my airbag light or MIL? 02 A6 btw.

We don't do a lot of retro-fitting so keep that in mind.

I don't know if this will work. The problem lies in the module coding that allows the wheel controls to function. Since your car didn't come coded for steering wheel controls and you're adding them you might run into trouble there. Also, I'm not sure, but you may have to replace the steering wheel as well because your original wheel may not accept the new bag due to the shape and/or wiring.

Will your airbag blow up? That's very difficult to say. The pin arrangements in the original harness and the new bag may not match up correctly which can cause problems. To be sure, I'd want a wiring diagram from an A6 with the steering wheel controls and a diagram of your car and make sure the pinouts in the plugs match.

There's an outside chance that this will be a plug and play swap but when you're dealing with airbag and supplemental restraint systems take extra caution - I've seen the damage an airbag can do when it deploys unsafely.

A few tips:

Disconnect your battery before installing your airbag parts. When they're installed, turn you key on, get out of the car and reconnect the battery. If there's an accidental deployment you'll be far enough away to escape injury.

Store airbags with the bag portion facing up - if the bag deploys you won't have the metal plate/ignitor/studs turning your face into pizza.

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes

my1999gsr posted:

We don't do a lot of retro-fitting so keep that in mind.

I don't know if this will work. The problem lies in the module coding that allows the wheel controls to function. Since your car didn't come coded for steering wheel controls and you're adding them you might run into trouble there. Also, I'm not sure, but you may have to replace the steering wheel as well because your original wheel may not accept the new bag due to the shape and/or wiring.

Will your airbag blow up? That's very difficult to say. The pin arrangements in the original harness and the new bag may not match up correctly which can cause problems. To be sure, I'd want a wiring diagram from an A6 with the steering wheel controls and a diagram of your car and make sure the pinouts in the plugs match.

There's an outside chance that this will be a plug and play swap but when you're dealing with airbag and supplemental restraint systems take extra caution - I've seen the damage an airbag can do when it deploys unsafely.

A few tips:

Disconnect your battery before installing your airbag parts. When they're installed, turn you key on, get out of the car and reconnect the battery. If there's an accidental deployment you'll be far enough away to escape injury.

Store airbags with the bag portion facing up - if the bag deploys you won't have the metal plate/ignitor/studs turning your face into pizza.

Thanks for the pointers. I'll take a look at the pin arrangements before I go through with it. Do you think I might be able to change the appropriate module coding using something like VAG-com?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

Thanks for the pointers. I'll take a look at the pin arrangements before I go through with it. Do you think I might be able to change the appropriate module coding using something like VAG-com?

I have limited experience with VAG-COM but you can do long code adapting with it so you should be fine, you'll just have to dig around a little to find the correct coding to change. Keep in mind, you may not have to change any coding at all but it was around the 02-03 model years that coding started to become more of an issue so it's something you might need to address at some point.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
So we're considering a new car for the fiancee as she has to do a lot of driving for her job. We've pretty much narrowed things down to either a 98-03 Jetta TDI or a 98-03 Golf TDI.

I've read over this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/new-owner-checklist-VW-TDI-mk4.htm

And it seems like it's all fairly standard stuff or things that are easy to check. My question is...are there any other particular issues we should look out for? The cars in her price range are ranging from 60k miles to 120k miles. Are there any concerns with the TDIs around those mileages?

Also, she drives to and from clients houses, and at times the clients are really close together sometimes (ie, .5 miles). Is this going to cause problems or is there something she could change when she drives the car short distances to help avoid problems? Generally her trips will be 5-10 miles, ranging from 2-12 trips per day.

Everyone seems to say that the engines are bulletproof, there's no problems with them, and that the electrics are the weak point. Any other concerns or things to be worried about? Should we shy away from modded cars? I'm plenty experienced with motorcycle mechanic stuff but not cars.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Z3n posted:

So we're considering a new car for the fiancee as she has to do a lot of driving for her job. We've pretty much narrowed things down to either a 98-03 Jetta TDI or a 98-03 Golf TDI.

I've read over this:

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/new-owner-checklist-VW-TDI-mk4.htm

And it seems like it's all fairly standard stuff or things that are easy to check. My question is...are there any other particular issues we should look out for? The cars in her price range are ranging from 60k miles to 120k miles. Are there any concerns with the TDIs around those mileages?

Also, she drives to and from clients houses, and at times the clients are really close together sometimes (ie, .5 miles). Is this going to cause problems or is there something she could change when she drives the car short distances to help avoid problems? Generally her trips will be 5-10 miles, ranging from 2-12 trips per day.

Everyone seems to say that the engines are bulletproof, there's no problems with them, and that the electrics are the weak point. Any other concerns or things to be worried about? Should we shy away from modded cars? I'm plenty experienced with motorcycle mechanic stuff but not cars.

Most people like to say the TDI isn't even broken in until 150k. Although with the MK3 the rest of the car will be falling apart long before you have issues with the motor.

That being said, with trips that short, you will probably be better off with a gasser.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

So my GF is in the market for a new car. Can I get opinions on a 1992 (Mk1) Cabriolet (Convertible Golf)? Condition is good, price is right, odometer is sitting on 130k, but I want to know if there's anything in particular I should be looking for, the driving experience, etc.

I know that 1992 is the Mk2 Golf, but they used the Mk1 platform for the Cabriolets still in 1992.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

-S- posted:

So my GF is in the market for a new car. Can I get opinions on a 1992 (Mk1) Cabriolet (Convertible Golf)? Condition is good, price is right, odometer is sitting on 130k, but I want to know if there's anything in particular I should be looking for, the driving experience, etc.

I know that 1992 is the Mk2 Golf, but they used the Mk1 platform for the Cabriolets still in 1992.

It really depends on the upkeep the car has had throughout it's life. Both the Mk1 and 2 chassis have been very reliable because they're so simple so my main concern would be rust in the underbody and in the brake and fuel lines. If you're serious about a cabrio of that age take it to your local VW dealer and let them have a look at it - that's the best insurance you're going to get when you purchase an older vehicle.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Picked up the clip today, here is is next to the old broken one:

So securing the seat is just putting the new clip in the hole and pushing the seat cushion's metal latch into it? Is it going to be secure in there or are there any additional steps? I looked on the estimate again, they wanted to charge me $130 for installation. There's no way they would charge that much for something so easy.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

Picked up the clip today, here is is next to the old broken one:

So securing the seat is just putting the new clip in the hole and pushing the seat cushion's metal latch into it? Is it going to be secure in there or are there any additional steps? I looked on the estimate again, they wanted to charge me $130 for installation. There's no way they would charge that much for something so easy.

It's just as easy as you think it is.

Lift up the seat bottom but don't remove it entirely - just give yourself enough room get at the holes.
Insert the clip squarely into the hole and press down till it clicks into place. Repeat for the other side.
Press seat bottom tabs down into the new clips.
Laugh at $130 estimate.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

I don't have to do the other side really, it's already secure. There's a hole in the middle too, but there's no metal latch in the seat in the corresponding spot, I'm assuming that's fine?

Is the huge estimate standard practice or just a lovely shop?

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Autism Sundae posted:

I don't have to do the other side really, it's already secure. There's a hole in the middle too, but there's no metal latch in the seat in the corresponding spot, I'm assuming that's fine?

Is the huge estimate standard practice or just a lovely shop?

Could be a little of both actually. VW/Audi has been using those style clips for years and years so I'm a little surprised at the estimate they gave you. If you're only doing one side, only lift the seat bottom as far as necessary to get the clip in it's hole so you don't damage the other (good) clip. 5 minutes work, tops.

Oh yes, the middle spot will be empty - it's ok.

Nermal.
Mar 16, 2003

Hello!
2004 Audi A4 1.8t. Coming up on 80k, the water pump is leaking and I heard while I'm down there it would be ridiculous not to get the timing belt done as well. I have had about 3 separate quotes for this service and they range from $700-$1800. Are there any techs that know what price I should be paying for this? That's a BIG range.

Also, what's coming up next? My old coworker was an Audi tech and he was like the 1.8t Nostradamus, predicting every single expense I've had thus far almost within ten miles on the odometer, there's got to be much more experience here. Is my turbo going to take a poo poo? Some strange sensor? What's over that next hill guys?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Nermal. posted:

2004 Audi A4 1.8t. Coming up on 80k, the water pump is leaking and I heard while I'm down there it would be ridiculous not to get the timing belt done as well. I have had about 3 separate quotes for this service and they range from $700-$1800. Are there any techs that know what price I should be paying for this? That's a BIG range.

Also, what's coming up next? My old coworker was an Audi tech and he was like the 1.8t Nostradamus, predicting every single expense I've had thus far almost within ten miles on the odometer, there's got to be much more experience here. Is my turbo going to take a poo poo? Some strange sensor? What's over that next hill guys?

When my water pump poo poo itself, the additional labor/parts to do the timing belt was around 300 bucks. When my dad had his 1.8t passat timing belt done it was 1200 bucks and took them a week cause no one at that shop had ever done it before ><

Neon Machete
Dec 30, 2006
yes

veedubfreak posted:

When my water pump poo poo itself, the additional labor/parts to do the timing belt was around 300 bucks. When my dad had his 1.8t passat timing belt done it was 1200 bucks and took them a week cause no one at that shop had ever done it before ><

What kind of VW shop has never done a TB change before? Ha.

Regardless of where you go, you are going to be paying a lot. It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be - it was one of the first things I did when I got my A6 and I had no experience with VW engines (I'd only worked on Jeeps which are easy as piss). Would you rather pay a shop $800 plus to do it or pay $250 for a kit and learn a bit about your car and wrenching on it in the process?

If you have an Audi but aren't in what I like to call the "Audi Tax Bracket," you will save yourself several thousands in the end if you learn to troubleshoot and repair problems. https://www.audiworld.com and several other Audi websites are immeasurably useful in diagnosing problems.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd
This doesn't really deserve a brand new thread so I hope it's welcome here.

I have been looking at A5's as a replacement for my current car but, I'm a bit befuddled by prices I'm finding. Audi's website lists the base model starting at $36,000 but, I'm only find used models over $40k?

Are these just going for over MSRP now?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
Anyone itt going to waterfest?

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009

Neon Machete posted:

What kind of VW shop has never done a TB change before? Ha.

Regardless of where you go, you are going to be paying a lot. It really isn't as hard as people make it out to be - it was one of the first things I did when I got my A6 and I had no experience with VW engines (I'd only worked on Jeeps which are easy as piss). Would you rather pay a shop $800 plus to do it or pay $250 for a kit and learn a bit about your car and wrenching on it in the process?

If you have an Audi but aren't in what I like to call the "Audi Tax Bracket," you will save yourself several thousands in the end if you learn to troubleshoot and repair problems. https://www.audiworld.com and several other Audi websites are immeasurably useful in diagnosing problems.

https://www.audizine.com as well

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

Nermal. posted:

The 1.8T t-belt in the A4 is one of my favorite ones to do and takes me about 4 hours +/- an half hour. $700-$800 is reasonable depending on the shop's hourly rate as long as that price includes parts as well but anything higher than that seems a little over-priced to me, not to mention $1800.

Since I don't know what repairs you've had done so far it's hard to tell you what the next problem might be. If you've already had the front upper control arms, valve cover gasket and cam adjuster seal, coolant temp sensor, PCV and hoses, and a fuel pump done then most of the common problems your A4 has have been addressed.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

ATLbeer posted:

This doesn't really deserve a brand new thread so I hope it's welcome here.

I have been looking at A5's as a replacement for my current car but, I'm a bit befuddled by prices I'm finding. Audi's website lists the base model starting at $36,000 but, I'm only find used models over $40k?

Are these just going for over MSRP now?

The last few A5/S5s we've sold went for about MSRP (we're talking brand new cars here) but it's possible demand in your area is higher than mine so the dealers are squeezing the price a little.

my1999gsr
Mar 21, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

Most non-VW shops just can't wrap their heads around the idea of removing the front bumper cover and partially removing the whole front end of the car to access the belt and tensioner so they screw around forever trying other methods.

ATLbeer
Sep 26, 2004
Über nerd

my1999gsr posted:

The last few A5/S5s we've sold went for about MSRP (we're talking brand new cars here) but it's possible demand in your area is higher than mine so the dealers are squeezing the price a little.

I guess so. I'm in Atlanta and looking at AutoTrader here's the listings

http://bit.ly/b5z1tH

Highest Price: $49,900
Lowest Price: $36,994
Average Price: $44,560

Not one vehicle below MSRP... You should be shipping cars to Atlanta.

(Ahh... Just noticed most, if not all are the 3.2 models.. Makes a lot more sense now)....

ATLbeer fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 17, 2010

Misplaced Yankee
Jan 29, 2009
Any suggestions for how to buy a used Audi TT? I've seen a handful around here go for low/under KBB lately, and thinking one would be a better car then what I'm currently driving (1986 Pontiac Fiero.... yeah, I know). Like the AWD function, so what questions should I be asking? I know the timing belt should be replaced, but other then that, what should I know? Is it 70, 80, or 100k when it needs to be done? Any advice would be appreciated, just paid off my other car so now I can shop. I'm looking at around the 10k price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
60K on the timing belt to be safe. Might as well do the water pump (OEM has a plastic impeller that disintegrates; metal impeller replacements may lock up) and thermostat while you're in there. Coil packs can be spotty, and the instrument clusters can have issues. The AWD uses a Haldex unit, which needs periodic servicing. quattroworld.com has a decent TT forum; I'd check there for people selling and advice from the collective. I still love mine, FWIW. :)