Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Another one, in 11 days? Might we be seeing more faster or is just this one of his stints? :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

He probably draws them a batch at a time.

But I want this batch to go on forever.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Sweet gently caress, it's Christmas in July!

Seeing Guts tear through poo poo never gets old and getting another chapter on the 23rd is a thing of beauty.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Regarding the ship, I was curious and went back to check: it is definitely the pirate ship from before .

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
That was awesome, and another chapter soon will be awesome too. Miura has done a couple "3 in quick succession" releases these past few years, so I won't get my hopes up of this becoming regular, but it's still nice to have something new to read.

hog wizard
Feb 16, 2005

by angerbeet
Out of curiosity: What other kind of power upgrade would Guts even get?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

hog wizard posted:

They could make him angry again.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

hog wizard posted:

Guts has been pretty consistent, the main thing he's done throughout the series has been relying on his own strength to rip everything in loving half. His "recent" upgrade to the Berserker armor is actually a huge jump for him, I'd honestly not want to see him upgrade ala Shonen manga anymore than he already has.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Well, he could try to gain more from the mind affecting matter deal from being in the interstice. There is also whatever the skull knight did. And then there is the behelit.

There was also that thing with the light washing over them when the realms merged. Remember everyone was like "Guts is going to be like a magic user" or some such?

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

hog wizard posted:

Resting for a few weeks in fairy land and eating a decent meal. Thats power up enough.

narfanator
Dec 16, 2008

Cowboy posted:

Resting for a few weeks in fairy land and eating a decent meal. Thats power up enough.

Seriously! When was the last time he actually got to rest up to full, anyway*? He's -always- interrupted.

*(Before Griffith's ascendance?)

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008
He's also got the powerup in that now his curse mark doesn't really matter that much anymore since everyone's getting raped by monsters from other dimensions.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
I was honestly hoping we were done with those drat pirates.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Gut's powerful has been subtley growing ever since the day of the Eclipse as mind exerts more influence over matter in continuing encroachment of the metaphysical realms into the physical world. His strength has gone from "kind of implausible" in the 100 man battle to "vaguely justified" in a universal context as he's survived more and more nightmarish events through sheer force of will.

That and his sword is caked with the ethereal remains of hundreds of supernatural entities.

And the armor.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Guts doesn't really get power upgrades. He becomes flat out stronger in big chunks. Boy->teenager->young man->now. He becomes a whole new beast every now and then. The closet thing to upgrades is he get new techniques usually learned from his foes or friends. He has learned to fly from watching Serpico. He has learned a lot about magic from Silke. I think he will integrate more of the magical side in his fighting. I'd like to see him get a new hand/arm somehow. Maybe his demon dog avatar could become real.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 13, 2010

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

temple posted:

Guts doesn't really get power upgrades. He becomes flat out stronger in big chunks. Boy->teenager->young man->now. He becomes a whole new beast every now and then. The closet thing to upgrades is he get new techniques usually learned from his foes or friends. He has learned to fly from watching Serpico. He has learned a lot about magic from Silke. I think he will integrate more of the magical side in his fighting. I'd like to see him get a new hand/arm somehow. Maybe his demon dog avatar could become real.

I honestly hope he just sticks to shoving his big piece of steel into the demons. :dong:

His only real power-up have been getting bigger and stronger, then getting a bigger and bigger piece of steel to hit things with, then losing an arm and an eye, losing all of his family and the people he loves, getting a piece of steel that weighs as much as a small car to hit things with, then getting psycho armor that obviously injects him with massive doses of PCP.

Now all he needs is a big pile of fairy dust and he'd feel alright. :catdrugs:

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Cowboy posted:

Now all he needs is a big pile of elf dust and he'd feel alright. :catdrugs:

How did you miss that?

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

Amorphous Blob posted:

How did you miss that?

Got caught up in making a lovely joke, that and fairies and elves are basically the same drat thing (since elves in this case are small fey creatures with wings, fairies are small fey creatures with wings).

That's the most plausible future power-up for Guts, he'll get a healthy dose of elf dust since Puck can only make so much and usually is only enough to close his wounds. Now hes gotten so many chronic injuries and hes only half rested during his fights, since, well I don't know in their time frame how long has passed but its been like 4 years by our time frame (when did they get to Silke's teacher's house in the woods? that was the last time I remember him getting even a chance to rest to full). And in that case he went out and immediately received an injury so bad it scarred his soul.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Hung Yuri posted:

Another one, in 11 days? Might we be seeing more faster or is just this one of his stints? :pray:

We always get 3 chapters before another break.

Has been that way for years.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

There isn't really much I can imagine Guts getting upgrade-wise that still leaves him with "human" strength. His Berserker Armour allows him to continuously push his body to the ultimate limit but it's still more or less "human".

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

YodaTFK posted:

I was honestly hoping we were done with those drat pirates.

They remind me of team rocket...

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

God drat if this just isn't the best loving series.

And another issue in 10 days. Cooommme on, keep up the pace.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Today is just full of Berserk, cuz I got my art of war statues in the mail. I'll post pictures later.

BrownClown
Dec 7, 2007

Will rap for smash leaks
Well if the elfs can heal him, maybe they can fix his eye. Sure he's used to it now, but being able to fight with depth perception would probably give him a suitable upgrade. Although losing that eye is part of the core of his character so I guess that's unlikely.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

narfanator posted:

Seriously! When was the last time he actually got to rest up to full, anyway*? He's -always- interrupted.

*(Before Griffith's ascendance?)

So basically we're just counting down until Gutts gets a few weeks of rest and relaxation and then Griffith is so hosed.

Nesetril
Sep 7, 2005
Griffith can't be hosed with yet. Not until we have seen how he deals with the whole demon army / merger of realms thing post-coronation. It's a huge cat out of the bag. He has to reward the apostles for helping him, since he is basically their king first and pretender to the throne of Midland second.

And while higher ranking apostles don't care much for anything (they already had anything they could want really), all the other ones will be out for human blood before you can say "war is over". Which is why I think Griffith is going to immediately switch to a war of conquest against all the nearby countries and direct the apostles' aggression there.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

My crazy rear end never gonna happen prediction is that Griffith is using Guts (as always) to kill the Apostles. That's my hunch because Griffith still is in love Guts. I've re-read the series enough and tried to interpret it otherwise. But Griffith is in love with Guts, I think Guts is his friend and brother and etc...but Griffith never knew desire (in the flesh) until he knew Guts. In the very least he has a man crush on him.

edit: Compare Guts to the lord that slept with Griffith. Griffith cut him down for being a loose end. Guts is a pretty big loose end if you ask me. But Griffith plays this school girl game of 'oh hai i was chillin in the graveyard, the one from when I killed all those dudes, didn't know you would be here....right outside of your house...and I don't like you anymore.' Please, Griffith is definitely in love with Guts and wants him to survive. He literally brought his new boyfriend (Zodd) to beat up his old boyfriend (Guts).

I also think that Griffith is resenting the Godhand because just like a king, there are limits that even he has to follow as the Prince of Darkness. I think he feels like he was sold a raw deal and that being king of the world isn't as great as it seemed in his dream.

Guts and Casca child is just like Guts, just a demon version of him. He protects his mother, wants to reach out to his father, and even at a young age can repel demons. He lacks a sword or anything traditional like that (like how kids are different than their parents). Guts grew up on a battlefield and became a warrior, his son was literally born in the midst of the spirit realm and can sway demons. I want to say that Griffith polluted him and maybe the kid is evil. But they said the same thing about Guts and called him bad luck. I think Guts is learning based on his treatment of the kid from the beginning (wanting to kill him) to understanding by letting Casca keep him. Maybe Guts won't face the same fate as Gambino. Casca is identical to Shizu, from having a miscarrage and being insane. Maybe she won't face the same fate as well.

Gut's party is love triangles within love triangles. Its really interesting seeing the Guts/Griffith/Casca drama being multiplied by all the new characters in Gut's party.

temple fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 14, 2010

temple
Jul 29, 2006

This

Click here for the full 791x225 image.

Plus this

Makes this

I never noticed how the child has one eye. Also these images match up from different panels. I thought it was cool.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I can't unsee it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

temple posted:

This

Click here for the full 791x225 image.

Plus this

Makes this

I never noticed how the child has one eye. Also these images match up from different panels. I thought it was cool.

What... what have you done!

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Nesetril posted:

Griffith can't be hosed with yet. Not until we have seen how he deals with the whole demon army / merger of realms thing post-coronation. It's a huge cat out of the bag. He has to reward the apostles for helping him, since he is basically their king first and pretender to the throne of Midland second.

And while higher ranking apostles don't care much for anything (they already had anything they could want really), all the other ones will be out for human blood before you can say "war is over". Which is why I think Griffith is going to immediately switch to a war of conquest against all the nearby countries and direct the apostles' aggression there.

Whatever happens it's clear Gutts is going to wind up plowing his way through the 4 horsemen as well as Griffith.

Really I'm just itching to see how Gutts winds up exposing Griffith's dream for the house of cards of false hope that it is. As the skeleton knight said, everyone is swept up in a big living storybook tale right now - and it will take someone who exists outside the story to defeat it. Basically Griffith is a Joe Stalin ish man-god right now and has to eliminate anything that steps outside his dream lest it be exposed as a pack of lies. When Casca regains her memory he's going to have both of them to deal with to boot. I'm hoping Casca gets some especially nasty blows in on the rapist who traumatized her out of her mind.

Gutts is such an appealing character 'cause he's a victim who was meant to be trampled and left for dead and be forgotten but didn't. He's a tyrant's worst nightmare - a living reminder that the dream of a good new world is ultimately one big lie built on evil.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 14, 2010

Walorski
Feb 21, 2004
I'm Polish
Ok, so I held off on reading the manga for almost a decade. I wish I had the will power to wait until the manga is finished, but I NEED some berserk. I can't seem to find anything worth watching or reading, so I'm finally gonna read some Berserk. The only problem is I want the hard copy, but I'm poor. I haven't found a large collection, or a site that sells the individual books for less than $10. Anyone know a way to get Berserk cheap(preferably new), or am I just out of luck?

PieThief
Apr 9, 2009
Yer mother'sh a whore, Trebek!

Walorski posted:

Ok, so I held off on reading the manga for almost a decade. I wish I had the will power to wait until the manga is finished, but I NEED some berserk. I can't seem to find anything worth watching or reading, so I'm finally gonna read some Berserk. The only problem is I want the hard copy, but I'm poor. I haven't found a large collection, or a site that sells the individual books for less than $10. Anyone know a way to get Berserk cheap(preferably new), or am I just out of luck?

Just took a quick peek at amazon most volumes are like 10 bucks new 5ish used.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
There's also the chance of getting lucky and finding someone selling them new on ebay for a good price.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

temple posted:

What page does the grin come from?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

GoldenNugget posted:

What page does the grin come from?
Its from the fight with the fairy demon. The scene when Guts throws himself into a fire to kill the hornet demons swarming him.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

temple posted:

He has his mother's mouth and his father's eye!

What everyone is forgetting is the child got hit with the wave of magic too - obviously he is going to start a manga offshoot called Berserk: Master of the Temple Idols. See, the kid is really a girl; the new manga will be about her rise to singing idol stardom in the new world of fantasy, fantasia. Thats why he keeps taking his breaks; he is finishing his 15 volume series to release all at once.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 16, 2010

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

temple posted:

The scene when Guts throws himself into a fire to kill the hornet demons swarming him.

This manga. The best manga.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

temple posted:

Its from the fight with the fairy demon. The scene when Guts throws himself into a fire to kill the hornet demons swarming him.

oh right that part. I found it. Then he uses cocoon fluid and kid guts to douse the fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

GoldenNugget posted:

oh right that part. I found it. Then he uses cocoon fluid and kid guts to douse the fire.

And the entrails are between his teeth like a romantic rose.

Oh Berserk. :black101: