Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Edit: Never mind, figured it out. This is kind of fun

Shnooks fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Finished my first pair of socks ever! :dance:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I used the Yarn Harlot recipe, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

Yarn!
Feb 27, 2010

by T. Finninho

Wandering Knitter posted:

Oh, I know all about yarn fumes. I visited three yarn stores today during my journey through PA. The trick is to make a beeline for the discount bin and give yourself a yarn budget (mine was $10 each store).

I walked away with a ball for felting, four balls which will make great fall scarves, and a ball of Carron wool.

Sweet Jesus the woman at that one yarn store nearly killed me for that. I walked up to the register and she offered to hold it while I "continue shopping". When I told her I was just buying that one $6 ball of yarn she looked like I shot her dog.

Why the one ball? Because everything else in the store was $25 and up. :gonk:

Where in PA were you? There are a few great stores in the Allentown/Easton/Bethlehem area.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Izzy posted:

Finished my first pair of socks ever! :dance:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I used the Yarn Harlot recipe, and I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.

Congrats on the wearable pair of first socks! I love the Yarn Harlot recipe, though some say all the stockinette is boring, you can motor through them while watching movies or something, so you have something to keep your hands busy but not the mind/eyes. SS is also very soothing after a really stressful day at work. :3: The only thing I don't like about the pattern is the wedge toe... I like to wiggle my toes a lot and I have kinda wide feet, so I like going with a more rounded toe.

Speaking of motoring through socks... I started some vanilla socks from the toe up using that new sport weight sock yarn from KnitPicks. That stuff is CRAZY soft, they go SO FAST, but it's so freakin' splitty! I'm barely past the toe and I've got a knot that won't undo because when I tried to pull it apart the plies were like "psh, I'm sicka you!" to all their fellow plies and it became a big snarled mess, so I just pulled the knot tight and will cut and rejoin. Even just doing the increases for the toe were putting a strain on their togetherness, so I would not use that stuff for something that calls for a lot of stitch manipulation! Has anybody else had this issue, or is it just me/my needles?

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009
The socks look great. I'm too much of a wimp to try making any, but I love looking at the finished products!

edit: Phishi, I have been thinking about ordering some yarn from Knit Picks, did you get the Felici? It's the only sport weight labeled "new" that I see. That's the bad thing about ordering yarn online, sometimes things described on a site as soft come back feeling worse than a crispy 70's afghan.

Put it in Your Mouf fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 13, 2010

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Almost all my friends who knit socks use Felici and love the poo poo out of it. I've had six balls of Rainbow in my cart pretty much since the day it came out.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Is the Yarn Harlot recipe somewhere online, or is it in a book or something?

Shags
Jun 16, 2010

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message...
I brought some yarn that I thought would be great for beginners and something that would be good for teddy-bear clothes. My Cats thought they were great too and when I got up the other morning they were all spread out all over the lounge room.
O_o and I thought I put the wool away all nice and secure. I spent about an hour winding them all back up.

I thought cats liking wool was only when you are knitting... My Bad. Definately keeping them away from the kitties this time under lock and key.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Yarn! posted:

Where in PA were you? There are a few great stores in the Allentown/Easton/Bethlehem area.

...in that area :downs: Course I'm home now, but there's always next year I guess.

Speaking of which I got quite a nice haul and only spent half my yarn budget! :dance: Mostly because I stumbled upon a Joann Fabrics having a "holy poo poo why do we even have this yarn get it out of here now" sale.

Why was the yarn so cheap? Because a lot of it was this retarded yarn or ones like it.

I picked up a few balls just to see if I can do anything with it besides that weird knitting the ruffles thing.

Put it in Your Mouf
Jan 8, 2009

Shags posted:

I brought some yarn that I thought would be great for beginners and something that would be good for teddy-bear clothes. My Cats thought they were great too and when I got up the other morning they were all spread out all over the lounge room.
O_o and I thought I put the wool away all nice and secure. I spent about an hour winding them all back up.

I thought cats liking wool was only when you are knitting... My Bad. Definately keeping them away from the kitties this time under lock and key.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I got really, really good at picking up after my kitty passed away from ingesting a long piece of string. Yes, I am terribly depressing. Anyway, post pictures of your teddy bears! They sound adorable.

That Ruffles yarn looks like it would make a cute trim for a blanket or maybe even just a little on a scarf.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I really need to finish some socks. I've got about 3/4 of the second orange tube sock done, just a flat-knit rectangle with a little toe shaping and sewn up the side. My last attempt at socks ended up way too large (my first real problem with not doing a gauge check) and turned into this glove, which is now serving as an oven mitt/potholder in the kitchen.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

That Ruffles yarn looks like it would make a cute trim for a blanket or maybe even just a little on a scarf.

Yeah, I'm thinking of using it on the ends of scarves since there's hardly any in each skein (26 yards!)

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Put it in Your Mouf posted:

The socks look great. I'm too much of a wimp to try making any, but I love looking at the finished products!

edit: Phishi, I have been thinking about ordering some yarn from Knit Picks, did you get the Felici? It's the only sport weight labeled "new" that I see. That's the bad thing about ordering yarn online, sometimes things described on a site as soft come back feeling worse than a crispy 70's afghan.

I love the sport weight Felici, despite the splittiness, but I'm not the biggest fan of the regular sock weight. It's just too... stringy? to me. Not enough bounce and cush, especially considering it's merino. The sport weight solves that problem for me... it's cushy and soft and smooth all at the same time. :) It's very, very smooth though, so even if you're not a wool fan I still think you'll like this stuff. Knitpicks stuff in general is pretty great, especially for the price. I haven't had issues with anything being especially rough, and I made a giant-rear end Ravenclaw scarf out of Wool of the Andes, which I think is about as woolly as their yarn gets and it's still quite nice. It's def not merino, but it holds up a bit better, is cheap, and is a drat sight better than Vanna's Choice or Red Heart Super Saver. What I'm saying is, you really can't go wrong on that site. :D

Sex Hobbit, do they still have the Rainbow for sale? I have it in the catalog but I can't seem to find it on the actual website. :( I'm not a huge fan of Felici, but for rainbow stripes I am soooooo all over that.

Look Under the Rock, it used to be online, but then she put it in one of her books. Knitting Rules, I think? Basically all there is to it is "CO X sts, knit 2 inches of k2p2 ribbing, k 5 inches (or whatever) of stst, turn heel (much easier than it looks!), form gussets (just decreases every other row until you're back to the original number of stitches), knit until toes start, decrease for toe, close off, done!" It's just her own vanilla pattern that obviously you change to fit you, but instead of having miles of ribbing down the body of the sock as many "vanilla" beginner patterns do, it is stockinette.

I know this is already a huuuuge post, but to everybody who thinks they can't knit socks, you totally can! Do 'em in worsted first if you're afraid of little needles, but really just dive in, the water's fine! As long as you're confident in your knit/purl you'll be OK, I promise. :) Your socks may not come out the size intended the very first time, but they'll fit someone. Also, turning a heel makes you feel like the smartest person alive, no joke!

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Phishi posted:

Sex Hobbit, do they still have the Rainbow for sale? I have it in the catalog but I can't seem to find it on the actual website. :( I'm not a huge fan of Felici, but for rainbow stripes I am soooooo all over that.

NOOOOO THEY'RE OUT OF IT :cry:

oh well I still have a poo poo ton of better sock yarn that I haven't used :woop:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Yeah they sold out of that at least a few weeks back, I remember it being on clearance when I picked up some handpainted Stroll sock yarn to make a shrug with that my coworker made the pattern for.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
:siren: PROJECT COMPLETION dingdingding

Last night I finished sewing together the jumper I knitted for my boyfriend. Then I took it for a test drive and OH DEAR LORD it is like wearing a big love hug.

Click here for the full 1997x1498 image.

Yeah I have a Lord of the Rings bedcover. Leave me alone.

Closeup of all the little squares. It's made with Life DK by Stylecraft on 4mm needles, each square has 154 stitches in it :byodood:

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

I bought some "handmade by ______" labels from a fancy yarn shop in Carnaby Street and then lost them so ironically had to hand make my own.

People have told me by embroidery has a lovely folk style to it, but truth is I hate embroidery so so sooo much that I always just rush it and hope for the best.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ooh I LIKE that pattern! Perfect for a man sweater (that I can wear myself). Is that just like a checkerboard with blocks of knits/purls?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Sorry to interrupt the sweater love, but I have to make sure everyone saw the horror that is THIS PATTERN

What the gently caress D:? Didn't we used to have a thread on the ravelry group for bad patterns? I forget if we did or not.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Sorry to interrupt the sweater love, but I have to make sure everyone saw the horror that is THIS PATTERN

What the gently caress D:? Didn't we used to have a thread on the ravelry group for bad patterns? I forget if we did or not.

Hahaha, the baby on the bottom looks miserable in that thing. Can you blame him?

hollaback grandma
Feb 25, 2007

You never call.

madlilnerd posted:

Last night I finished sewing together the jumper I knitted for my boyfriend. Then I took it for a test drive and OH DEAR LORD it is like wearing a big love hug.

Closeup of all the little squares. It's made with Life DK by Stylecraft on 4mm needles, each square has 154 stitches in it :byodood:

Click here for the full 1536x1152 image.

I bought some "handmade by ______" labels from a fancy yarn shop in Carnaby Street and then lost them so ironically had to hand make my own.

People have told me by embroidery has a lovely folk style to it, but truth is I hate embroidery so so sooo much that I always just rush it and hope for the best.

This is crazy awesome! Big snuggly jumpers <3

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran

Shnooks posted:

oh god I can't believe they want...money for that.

And don't worry too much, those look like dolls. Hopefully no real children have been subjected to THAT.
NO projects in No queues.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

madlilnerd posted:

sweater

Awesome work! It looks so snuggly. :3:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finally got off my lazy rear end and posted pictures of my wedding shawl and veil to my ravelry. (it's only a month and a half since the wedding....)

I finished both in time for the wedding, the veil was done the MORNING BEFORE the wedding. I ended up not making the canopy, because we moved the wedding inside.

Pictures of both are on ravelry. I don't know if I'll ever finish the edgings for the shawl, because casting on like six billion stitches is a serious pain in the rear end.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

Sending this to my cousin (mother of three) I'm teaching how to knit right now.

madlilnerd! The sweater looks amazing! Shame my ADD refuses to let me work on anything bigger than a scarf. :v:

On that note this weekend I managed to get bitten by a (thankfully non-poisonous) spider right on my wrist. There goes my knitting plans for the week. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Ooh I LIKE that pattern! Perfect for a man sweater (that I can wear myself). Is that just like a checkerboard with blocks of knits/purls?

Yep, it's very very easy knit, just a little bit of a slog because it's on 4mm (I am lazy and like chunky poo poo. Last boyfriend got a plain chunky sweater. [oh god, saying "last boyfriend" sounds really bad and now I look like I'm using men as knitting practice]).
Ahem.
The pattern is Sirdar Denim Tweed DK 9242 and it's a square body with a drop (is that the right term?) sleeve so there's no raglan decreasing or loving around with crazy set in sleeves.

Amykinz, I can't get enough of your lacework, so gossamer and pretty like an artist spiderlady made it...

And my dear Wandering Knitter, I just realised I've made 2 jumpers this year if you include the hilarious disaster art student one I made for a musician friend that only comes to his belly button. They were both on 4mms so how the hell did I manage to make two in less than a year? :psyduck: Oh wait, the crippling unemployment, riight.
The only advice I can give you is don't try to knit big items on packed volcano-delayed flights if you don't want that bitch next to you who needs a piss every 3 mins to get all cross when you tell her you'd rather finish a row before she climbs over you AGAIN. Also not on roadtrips. It made me feel very very sick.

I need a new project!

...I need money :(

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

Look Under The Rock posted:

Is the Yarn Harlot recipe somewhere online, or is it in a book or something?

It's in "Knitting Rules", which isn't really a pattern book but has some basic stuff for the general categories of knitwear. Silver's Sock Class is pretty much the same sock pattern though, just not in formula form.

I finished my Que Sera. It's not perfect and I'm not sure, in retrospect that the color/fit is "me", but it was still good to get my first garment in a few years done. Plus I'm working on a top-down pullover right now and it's nice to see the difference in the construction techniques (definitely preferring top down right now).

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

madlilnerd posted:

I love it! Comfy sweaters are just the best thing in autumn and winter. I want to knit sweaters so badly but I get bored easily with such large projects.

Zombie Pirate
Jan 3, 2009

Kitty, you wouldn't happen to have any super powers, would you?

madlilnerd posted:

oh god, saying "last boyfriend" sounds really bad and now I look like I'm using men as knitting practice

I see no problem with this.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
We all know the rules about knitting sweaters for significant others. You are your own harbinger of doom!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

madlilnerd posted:

[oh god, saying "last boyfriend" sounds really bad and now I look like I'm using men as knitting practice]).

Huh. And I used to say that men were only good for ONE thing!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

We all know the rules about knitting sweaters for significant others. You are your own harbinger of doom!

I'm considering knitting a sweater for an ex. Oh god.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

YOU ARE GOING TO CREATE A SINGULARITY! THIS IS TERRIBLE.

I haven't even made a sweater for myself yet, I've just had warnings yelled at me by every resource I've seen.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

I want to knit a sweater for myself, but I have a small waist and enormous boobs and I am not confident in my abilities to make something fitted. I don't want to wear a huge sack either.

I'll just knit for my super-skinny ex or my size-zero mother.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Theres a noro sweater I wanted to knit for myself but I have a feeling the yarn is discontinued, and when I did find some it was like $100 for the materials. sigh.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sources/noro-men/patterns (the one on the cover)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

So...will you hook back up with the ex then? Or become a new level of Super-Ex that doesn't exist to normal non-knitters? Is there like a Guru we can ask about this? :psyduck:

madlilnerd posted:

I need a new project!

...I need money :(

You can do what I do and knit for etsy/craft fairs! That'll solve both your problems!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Ouch.

The worst "yarn sticker shock" I ever had were the Mowat Mucklucks from Interweave Knits (can't remember which issue but they were on the cover). It called for regular worsted weight wool and six skeins of "plymouth foxy" which I had never heard of and costs $30 a skein.

But a skein is only SEVENTEEN YARDS LONG.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

So...will you hook back up with the ex then? Or become a new level of Super-Ex that doesn't exist to normal non-knitters? Is there like a Guru we can ask about this? :psyduck:

I think now I have to do it FOR SCIENCE.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

Ouch.

The worst "yarn sticker shock" I ever had were the Mowat Mucklucks from Interweave Knits (can't remember which issue but they were on the cover). It called for regular worsted weight wool and six skeins of "plymouth foxy" which I had never heard of and costs $30 a skein.

Sweet jesus. They're not even that attractive. :psyduck:

What the gently caress, man. That is some expensive rear end yarn.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Ouch.

:aaaaa:

And it's just acrylic microfiber, that I guess is extra fur-like when knit up?

My mind? Blown. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math

I want to knit a sweater for myself, but I have a small waist and enormous boobs and I am not confident in my abilities to make something fitted. I don't want to wear a huge sack either.

I'll just knit for my super-skinny ex or my size-zero mother.

Re-endorsing top-down patterns here. You can try your project on as you go and adjust as needed to get a perfect fit! I made the body of this sweater as the pattern was written, found it was too baggy, so I ripped back to add more decreases at the waist.

If that's too plain a top, I adore Stitch Diva Studio's patterns. They're all top-down, wonderfully feminine and usually include several variations.