Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Would that send notes though? or just change patches?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Can anyone tell me how to recover temp files in Audacity? This cheap as hell loving program decides to 'stop working' about 10% of the time I press the 'finish recording' button, and this time it's finally hosed me hard and crashed just after a four minute take of perfection.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
I'm slowly getting back to composing and thinking of buying entry level software sequencer and a MIDI keyboard to go with it. I've dabbled around with Reason a bit but that's definitely out of my price range. I'm looking for something slick and intuitive so that I could easily create prototypes of the ideas I have. Any suggestion?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Scrap Audacity, use Amadeus instead for your "small enough not to need a full DAW" needs. For more multitrack capability look into Ardour or Reaper. But don't use Audacity.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Scrap Audacity, use Amadeus instead for your "small enough not to need a full DAW" needs. For more multitrack capability look into Ardour or Reaper. But don't use Audacity.

Okay, great, I really hate this program.

edit: is this available for windows xp?

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 12, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
Oh for gently caress's sake it looks like the only one of the three I mentioned that's Windows-compatible is Reaper.

That sucks because I don't know of another small program that's as efficient and simple as Amadeus for little jobs. Still, Reaper will work for audio recording and editing and it's plenty robust and capable now. It's also friendly to a lot of plugins so there's not much not to like. Plus you can download the full uncrippled version for free and use it for as long as you want until you decide to pay the full license fee. Of $60. I don't know what you were using Audacity for but Reaper will almost certainly do it much better. It does feel like overkill to fire up a full-scale DAW just to put together a two-second sound cue or whatever but I'd think even that would be preferable to the constant abuse that Audacity seems to pile on its users. Give Reaper a shot at least.

Full disclosure: I have never actually used audacity myself, but after three years of questions and stories from people who have I definitely don't plan to start.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake it looks like the only one of the three I mentioned that's Windows-compatible is Reaper.

That sucks because I don't know of another small program that's as efficient and simple as Amadeus for little jobs. Still, Reaper will work for audio recording and editing and it's plenty robust and capable now. It's also friendly to a lot of plugins so there's not much not to like. Plus you can download the full uncrippled version for free and use it for as long as you want until you decide to pay the full license fee. Of $60. I don't know what you were using Audacity for but Reaper will almost certainly do it much better. It does feel like overkill to fire up a full-scale DAW just to put together a two-second sound cue or whatever but I'd think even that would be preferable to the constant abuse that Audacity seems to pile on its users. Give Reaper a shot at least.

Full disclosure: I have never actually used audacity myself, but after three years of questions and stories from people who have I definitely don't plan to start.

Really it's just the fact that performing certain functions (recording) causes it to crash. I didn't even read past "Amadeus" in your post so I'll get this reaper one. I don't do anything fancy with Audacity pretend I'm a one-man band, so I'm sure reaper will do the job.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

Would that send notes though? or just change patches?

You said you wanted to play back samples, the buttons let you scroll through the patches, and the other one is the trigger. So you click through to the sample you want off of your keyboard/sampler/whatever and then hit the trigger button to play it.

I forgot about the MIDI Buddy.
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=MP128
Should be able to pick one up cheap on ebay.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

not a dinosaur posted:

I'm buying my second guitar, my first was an Epiphone G-400 and I want something a bit different- I've been looking at Maple body guitars that come with EMG pickups. However basically all of the guitars that fit this description are the ones you find in the HEAVY METAL section of internet stores, and gently caress that's what I'm going to end up playing anyways but I always figured that these guitars were a bit gimmicky.

Basically I want somebody to tell me it is okay to drop 900 bucks on a Godin Redline 3. I'm worried, because googling around yields almost nothing, it doesn't seem like anybody actually uses this guitar. There are a couple of glowing reviews from guitar websites or magazines or whatever, but none by an everyman. There is a shop near here that has them in stock so I guess I'll go try it, but I don't feel confident enough in my ability to judge to make that decision alone. Also why aren't there any maple body guitars without a loving tremolo

Stabbing Spork posted:

If you don't mind the color, and act fast, you can get it for $379
http://www.amazon.com/Godin-Redline-Electric-Guitar-Natural/dp/B001QCXS28/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1278514478&sr=8-6

A friend of mine told me to hold off on this, brought me an old guitar of his that also has a Floyd Rose bridge and let me experience the pain for myself. I don't want a tremolo but I can't find a loving $800-1200 maple body guitar with a fixed bridge. Now I know I really don't want a guitar with a Floyd Rose. Can anyone make a recommendation?

The only alternative I can find is the Gibson Raw Power series, but the Les Paul is chambered maple which is not really what I want, and I'm not really interested in another SG. Help :(

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

These Loving Eyes posted:

I'm slowly getting back to composing and thinking of buying entry level software sequencer and a MIDI keyboard to go with it. I've dabbled around with Reason a bit but that's definitely out of my price range. I'm looking for something slick and intuitive so that I could easily create prototypes of the ideas I have. Any suggestion?

Hey duder,

Many controllers actually come with stripped down editions of software these days, for example my M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2 ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Oxygen8v2.html ) had a copy of Ableton included, and as far as intuition goes, Live can't really be beaten- hell, after a day on the freebie version, I went ahead and got the full thing.

Most software bundled with controllers will, however, be feature limited; for example limitations on number of audio/MIDI tracks in a project, or how many fx can be stacked on a single track, and sometimes even less fx/devices themselves (though the only thing Live lacks device-wise without Suite is the instruments, but there's an assload of free VSTs out there).

Your best bet is to look at controllers within your price range (which would be handy for us to know, to give you better advice) and see what software is included. Some others come with a slimmed down version of Cubase.

It also depends what you want to do- if you just want to smack some loops together, then Live Lite (£99) or one of the lower-end versions of FL studio (Fruity Loops' new name- starts from around £50) would be ideal, though I don't think the cheaper FL Studio software allows recording of audio (Live does).

Give us a bit more info on your needs...

(Bear in mind I am an Ableton user, and will do my very best to convert you to her ways!)

Alternatively, ignore all this, buy a copy of Comupter Music (easy to find here in the UK, dunno about the US) and use their CM Studio software- a decent DAW, plus VST/AU instruments and effects), all for the low LOW price of £5.99.

Either way, the Oxygen 8 is a wicked bit of kit for it's price- 25 keys, 8 knobs, pitch and mod-whells plus full transport controls and easy integration into any software.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Question vaguely related to my last: can I put standard strings on a baritone guitar without having ridiculous string tension?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

not a dinosaur posted:

Question vaguely related to my last: can I put standard strings on a baritone guitar without having ridiculous string tension?

By ridiculous do you mean too tight or too loose? I have a set of EB Not Even Slinky (12-16-24p-32-44-56) on my baritone and it gives me ideal tension in B standard tuning. C# tuning is still very usable but I would worry about going up any higher than that (without goggles and gloves on at least). Going to A and below I do lose a lot of tension so if you are aiming for the really low register then you might want to look for something a bit thicker.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Crosspostin' from the effects thread because apparently no-one reads it:

I'm looking at getting a reverb pedal to add a bit of depth to solos and leads (I play through an Engl Fireball if that helps, metal obviously). After some research it looks like the EHX Holy Grail Plus or Marshall Reflector will be the go, I'm on a bit of a budget otherwise I'd spring for the TC Electronic reverb and be done with this dilemma. Any suggestions either way, or other pedals I should look at? I don't need stereo or reverse so something pretty basic should do I think

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

RandomCheese posted:

By ridiculous do you mean too tight or too loose? I have a set of EB Not Even Slinky (12-16-24p-32-44-56) on my baritone and it gives me ideal tension in B standard tuning. C# tuning is still very usable but I would worry about going up any higher than that (without goggles and gloves on at least). Going to A and below I do lose a lot of tension so if you are aiming for the really low register then you might want to look for something a bit thicker.

I'm worried about it being too tight- I want to tune a six string baritone guitar to standard E

edit: the scale length I'm looking at is only 27", I guess it's not that big of a deal I just need some light strings

a slime fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 13, 2010

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
To avoid really crazy tension you'd probably want to go as light as possible, maybe 8-38 or so. Why would you do this? They're gonna sound really tinny and to me super light strings on a longer scale just sounds very uncomfortable.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Because literally the only maple body guitar I can find is some baritone ESP guitar

I was looking at a Godin maple body guitar but then I read they use silver-leaf maple which is just a mahogany analogue?? Do I care about this too much? I just wanna pump the mids

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

BittyWings posted:

Hey duder,

Many controllers actually come with stripped down editions of software these days, for example my M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2 ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_au/Oxygen8v2.html ) had a copy of Ableton included, and as far as intuition goes, Live can't really be beaten- hell, after a day on the freebie version, I went ahead and got the full thing.

Most software bundled with controllers will, however, be feature limited; for example limitations on number of audio/MIDI tracks in a project, or how many fx can be stacked on a single track, and sometimes even less fx/devices themselves (though the only thing Live lacks device-wise without Suite is the instruments, but there's an assload of free VSTs out there).

Your best bet is to look at controllers within your price range (which would be handy for us to know, to give you better advice) and see what software is included. Some others come with a slimmed down version of Cubase.

It also depends what you want to do- if you just want to smack some loops together, then Live Lite (£99) or one of the lower-end versions of FL studio (Fruity Loops' new name- starts from around £50) would be ideal, though I don't think the cheaper FL Studio software allows recording of audio (Live does).

Give us a bit more info on your needs...

(Bear in mind I am an Ableton user, and will do my very best to convert you to her ways!)

Alternatively, ignore all this, buy a copy of Comupter Music (easy to find here in the UK, dunno about the US) and use their CM Studio software- a decent DAW, plus VST/AU instruments and effects), all for the low LOW price of £5.99.

Either way, the Oxygen 8 is a wicked bit of kit for it's price- 25 keys, 8 knobs, pitch and mod-whells plus full transport controls and easy integration into any software.

Thanks for the lenghty reply!

My main instrument is bass and the stuff I compose is usually a strange mix of funk and 70s hard rock or something. I currently have some friends I jam with but they all either have their own bands or no interest to put some effort into recording stuff. So, I'm trying to create some sort of mock-ups of the stuff I want to record with actual instruments to lure other people to play with me. I'd also wish the hardware synths could imitate 70s and 80s retro sounds (like in this song).

I'm still not sure if I should either get a really cheap guitar and some effect box or a MIDI synth and a DAW. I can play some guitar but I know almost nothing about creating chords and such on a keyboard. On the other hand, it'd be easier and faster to modify the digital sounds rather than record sloppy guitar playing over and over again. V:shobon:V

EDIT: Oh, my budget is around 500 € but I should get the software, external audio interface and possible MIDI synth with that money.

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 13, 2010

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Ok, well it sounds like something more 'traditional' would suit you.

Cockos' Reaper is about £60, and should be ideal for you.

Along with something like the Peavey PV6 mixer and one of the interfaces mentioned in this thread and maybe the Oxygen 8 I mentioned in my last post should be more than adequate for your needs.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Concatenation posted:

Crosspostin' from the effects thread because apparently no-one reads it:

I'm looking at getting a reverb pedal to add a bit of depth to solos and leads (I play through an Engl Fireball if that helps, metal obviously). After some research it looks like the EHX Holy Grail Plus or Marshall Reflector will be the go, I'm on a bit of a budget otherwise I'd spring for the TC Electronic reverb and be done with this dilemma. Any suggestions either way, or other pedals I should look at? I don't need stereo or reverse so something pretty basic should do I think

If you really just want a bit of reverb, look for a used Boss RV-3. It's an older version, so you should be able to pick one up on the cheap. Sounds pretty good too, iirc.

precedence
Jun 28, 2010
I'm looking to getting a cheap but still decent pickup for my acoustic guitar. so far this is the best option i've found.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Woody-SC-SingleCoil-Soundhole-Pickup?sku=300956

anyone have experiences good or bad with it? or alternatives?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

precedence posted:

I'm looking to getting a cheap but still decent pickup for my acoustic guitar. so far this is the best option i've found.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Woody-SC-SingleCoil-Soundhole-Pickup?sku=300956

It won't beat a microphone, but it's a more than decent p-u. Dimarzio makes a similar one with a little less top end, I think.

Dang, I meant Dean Markley, not Dimarzio
vvvvvv

Underflow fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 13, 2010

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

precedence posted:

I've used this model for a while (came with a used twelve-string I bought) and I think it sounds really nice. I've never used the Duncan you posted but I've heard many people using Dean Markley versions that are cosmetically identical and I've never liked the way they sound. I think the adjustable pole pieces are a big advantage for an acoustic pickup, as is the modicum of noise cancelling.

To fit it into my Blueridge I had to cut out some of the foam and replace it with softer stuff. For live play I always used low-tack masking tape to hold it in place. Not attractive, but practical. The cord isn't great for standing up and moving around either but if you're seated it's not a problem. I've used the XL on various friends guitars and it's always provided a usable live acoustic sound.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

Because literally the only maple body guitar I can find is some baritone ESP guitar

I was looking at a Godin maple body guitar but then I read they use silver-leaf maple which is just a mahogany analogue?? Do I care about this too much? I just wanna pump the mids

For your $800-$1200 budget you might be able to swing getting a custom Carvin built.
At least that way you'd be able to get it with the exact body woods and all you want.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

not a dinosaur posted:

Honestly I think neck material and electronics are a lot more important than body material in a solid body. And that's putting aside amp/speakers and any other EQ you have going. I think the Godin should work fine for your needs. A carvin would probably be really nice if you can afford to have it done. Warmoth and other parts makers also manufacture maple bodies if it really is a deal breaker.

Really, I would find a guitar that feels and sounds good to you with your amp and then use a graphic EQ to push the mids as far as they need to go. Getting an all-maple guitar might get you the sound you want, but it's not that predictable. Neck, pickups, amp, speakers, and EQ will all make big differences so I think it makes more sense to focus on them first. If all of those things are in order and all that's missing from your life is a tiny extra midrange spike, then it's time to worry abut body material.

Of course maple guitars are also really cool and being really cool is plenty good reason to pursue an unusual instrument.

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

For your $800-$1200 budget you might be able to swing getting a custom Carvin built.
At least that way you'd be able to get it with the exact body woods and all you want.

Ferrous Wheel posted:

Honestly I think neck material and electronics are a lot more important than body material in a solid body. And that's putting aside amp/speakers and any other EQ you have going. I think the Godin should work fine for your needs. A carvin would probably be really nice if you can afford to have it done. Warmoth and other parts makers also manufacture maple bodies if it really is a deal breaker.

Really, I would find a guitar that feels and sounds good to you with your amp and then use a graphic EQ to push the mids as far as they need to go. Getting an all-maple guitar might get you the sound you want, but it's not that predictable. Neck, pickups, amp, speakers, and EQ will all make big differences so I think it makes more sense to focus on them first. If all of those things are in order and all that's missing from your life is a tiny extra midrange spike, then it's time to worry abut body material.

Of course maple guitars are also really cool and being really cool is plenty good reason to pursue an unusual instrument.

Both of you guys, thanks a million. I never would have thought to look at a Carvin custom, they are really affordable actually and totally gorgeous. I'll break my budget for sure but it looks totally worth it. Ferrous Wheel, thanks for all those words, that's exactly what I wanted to hear from someone in this thread.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

BittyWings posted:

Ok, well it sounds like something more 'traditional' would suit you.

Cockos' Reaper is about £60, and should be ideal for you.

Along with something like the Peavey PV6 mixer and one of the interfaces mentioned in this thread and maybe the Oxygen 8 I mentioned in my last post should be more than adequate for your needs.

I already have a similar mixer by Behringer and I installed the evaluation version of Reaper a couple of days ago - seems I'm on the right track then. :) I also happen to have an average Samson condenser mic although I can't (yet) sing to save my life but maybe I'll start practicing that too.

And yeah, I'm going to buy a new Windows laptop and a firewire audio interface to go with it this month when I get paid from work. The big question for me is still if I should get some commercial software synths and what would be the best or most versatile choice then.

One other quick question about Reaper: how do you handle waveform editing externally easily? I haven't yet had time to get to know the program but it seems it would be a nice 60 dollar investment.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

One other quick question about Reaper: how do you handle waveform editing externally easily? I haven't yet had time to get to know the program but it seems it would be a nice 60 dollar investment.

If you go into Options > Preferences, at the bottom there's an External Editors section - you can set up editors for different filetypes, or I think if you leave it blank it'll let you set up a catch-all. Then it's just a case of selecting your media items, right-clicking and going into the external editor menu

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
If you want a nice waveform editor, get Audacity- it's freeware and is absolutely spiffing.

There should be a bunch of Reaper tutorials on Youtube, and as for synths, go to
KVR for the best selection on the web.

Most of it is freeware, but all of it is super high quality.

I would initially suggest just searching under 'Synth (analogue/subtractive)' as these are the easiest to use, and the fundamentals from these can then be applied to other synths. All the classic synths from your 70's/80's rock are likely to be analogue/subtractive- Moogs, Rolands etc, but obviously feel free to dabble in other types of synthesis!

Also check out the TAL (Togu Audio Line) website for some nice simple synths that emulate the classics- if nothing else download TAL's U-NO-62 (a Roland Juno clone) for those cheesy Van-Halen-esque leads and the TAL-Elec7ro 2 (jack of all trades type synth).

I'm assuming you don't know much about synths, so I would strongly recommend getting decent freeware and figuring out your needs, rather than forking out for (say) NI's Massive and finding it too overwhelming.

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

BittyWings posted:

If you want a nice waveform editor, get Audacity- it's freeware and is absolutely spiffing.

There should be a bunch of Reaper tutorials on Youtube, and as for synths, go to
KVR for the best selection on the web.

Most of it is freeware, but all of it is super high quality.

I would initially suggest just searching under 'Synth (analogue/subtractive)' as these are the easiest to use, and the fundamentals from these can then be applied to other synths. All the classic synths from your 70's/80's rock are likely to be analogue/subtractive- Moogs, Rolands etc, but obviously feel free to dabble in other types of synthesis!

Also check out the TAL (Togu Audio Line) website for some nice simple synths that emulate the classics- if nothing else download TAL's U-NO-62 (a Roland Juno clone) for those cheesy Van-Halen-esque leads and the TAL-Elec7ro 2 (jack of all trades type synth).

I'm assuming you don't know much about synths, so I would strongly recommend getting decent freeware and figuring out your needs, rather than forking out for (say) NI's Massive and finding it too overwhelming.

Thanks a ton for the links and all the info! I'm definitely going to have a look into the free stuff and it may well already cater my needs. :)

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
REAPER is a fantastic piece of software, I use it as my primary DAW. Just let me know if you have any questions. So, my question:

I'm going to be getting an entry-level Macbook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) and a Presonus FireStudio Mobile. I would like to be able to use the 8 inputs on the FireStudio live at under 8ms latency to mix in my DAW with basic effects instead of an external board. Is this practical and will it perform well enough to accomplish this? I really really don't want to have to get a higher end model, because that basically adds $600 to have any sort of meaningful upgrade. Thanks!

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

DeathBySpoon posted:

REAPER is a fantastic piece of software, I use it as my primary DAW. Just let me know if you have any questions. So, my question:

I'm going to be getting an entry-level Macbook Pro (2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM) and a Presonus FireStudio Mobile. I would like to be able to use the 8 inputs on the FireStudio live at under 8ms latency to mix in my DAW with basic effects instead of an external board. Is this practical and will it perform well enough to accomplish this? I really really don't want to have to get a higher end model, because that basically adds $600 to have any sort of meaningful upgrade. Thanks!

I was using the Firestudio and the DualCore Macbook Pro for a while, never used all 8 inputs, but used probably 6 at a time with an average amount of effects and it never wonked out on me and latency wasn't a problem. But then one day the outputs started getting static-y and poo poo, and the more effects I loaded onto my sounds the worse the static became, and I had to send it back, and it started doing it again just recently...so I fear I may have to send it back. But I could be the one in a million who's had this problem, or maybe I'm too rough with it, cause I couldn't find similar issues online.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

Was it the Macbook or the FireStudio that crapped out?

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Firestudio. Their return policy and everything was good, I sent it back and it came back working, but just recently it seems the longer/more poo poo we do through it it craps out. I really don't wanna blame the firestudio cause its pretty drat awesome for what we do, but turning it off for a minute then back on solves the problem, so I think I got a bad one or some poo poo.

I'll always stand by and love my macbook pro (just upgraded to i7 :) )

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Thanks a ton for the links and all the info! I'm definitely going to have a look into the free stuff and it may well already cater my needs. :)

Wicked, good luck man, you're gonna have to show us what you come up with!

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

BittyWings posted:

Wicked, good luck man, you're gonna have to show us what you come up with!

Definitely, definitely. It may take some time though since I'm still studying music theory and practicing bass daily so it's more like I'm working on composing on the side. :)

ruinedhero
Jun 6, 2010

We are only serving our Gods
I stumbled upon a rather odd Guitar Tuning no one has ever heard of:

B F# B E A B (low to high) - need heavy gauge strings.

this odd tuning has a very unique characteristic of not only being able to bar the 3 bottom strings to make a power chord, but also you can bar the three light strings two frets up to accentuate the chord further.

For example

B---4-----
A---4-----
E---4-----
B---2-----
F#--2-----
B---2-----

This makes a pretty rich sounding C# chord and you can go up and down the neck. As a rythem guitarist singing at the same time I loving love this tuning - anyone ever try it or another weird tuning?

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
It seems that I'll never run out of questions but anyways, here's a couple of new ones.

First of all, what kind of features should I be looking for when deciding what kind of studio headphones I should get? Currently I'm consider getting a pair of Extreme Isolation EX-29s because I find it convenient to be able to block background noises easily (especially when you live with someone). It seems to have the normal frequency rate so are there any other things that could make them a poor choice?

Secondly, this is more of a preference thing but if you had a choice, would you go with 25 or 49 keys? I'm trying to decide between M-Audio Oxygen 25 and Oxygen 49. Since I'll be the keyboard more as an aid for creating the melodies rather than a full-blown instrument, I wonder if I should go with just 25 since it's a lot easier to carry around. On the other hand, it's only a couple of euros more to get more of them tasty keys... :ohdear:

Thirdly, can anyone point me to some free or cheap realistic or at least semi-realistic sounding free drumkits or sample packs? What about guitar synths?

I hope I can stop bombarding this thread after finding answers to these. ;)

These Loving Eyes fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 16, 2010

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Firestudio Stuff

I was working with it yesterday, and noticed that if I had ableton running using the Presonus, and opened logic or garageband thats when my Firestudio would poo poo itself...so maybe I had been doing something like that all along? After that it didn't crap out the rest of the day.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ruinedhero posted:

This makes a pretty rich sounding C# chord and you can go up and down the neck. As a rythem guitarist singing at the same time I loving love this tuning - anyone ever try it or another weird tuning?

Statistically there's a good chance a Soundgarden song uses that

I used to like tuning to B F# C# F# A# C# - basically it's an F# bar chord (root 5) with the low E dropped another step. You can bar all the strings for a major bar chord, and fretting an Asus2 bar chord shape gives you a... 6add9 chord I think, whatever it is it sounds cool, and it makes for great transitions when you're moving the bar up two frets. Drop D-style power chords get a 9th added on, which is a cool sound, and you can go down to a B as well

What's nice is you can play a lot of shapes you know and change a note here and there - like just barring all the strings and adding a finger or two somewhere - and you get some unusual colour. I never bothered with heavier strings than my usual 10s either, I like the grind :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

It seems that I'll never run out of questions but anyways, here's a couple of new ones.

First of all, what kind of features should I be looking for when deciding what kind of studio headphones I should get? Currently I'm consider getting a pair of Extreme Isolation EX-29s because I find it convenient to be able to block background noises easily (especially when you live with someone). It seems to have the normal frequency rate so are there any other things that could make them a poor choice?

Secondly, this is more of a preference thing but if you had a choice, would you go with 25 or 49 keys? I'm trying to decide between M-Audio Oxygen 25 and Oxygen 49. Since I'll be the keyboard more as an aid for creating the melodies rather than a full-blown instrument, I wonder if I should go with just 25 since it's a lot easier to carry around. On the other hand, it's only a couple of euros more to get more of them tasty keys... :ohdear:

Thirdly, can anyone point me to some free or cheap realistic or at least semi-realistic sounding free drumkits or sample packs? What about guitar synths?

I hope I can stop bombarding this thread after finding answers to these. ;)

-Headphones: The problem with closed headphones like that is that they tend to create resonance problems with lower frequencies. Bass comes out way boomier and exaggerated compared to open ear. I've found that background noises really aren't as much of a bother compared to an inaccurate response. I use a pair of these and they are absolutely fantastic:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKGK240STU
If you look around you can find them for just under $100 no problem (Based on the link, I know you aren't using American currency, but you shouldn't have any problems finding them elsewhere).

-Keys: Personally, I find that 25 is plenty for me, but I am by no means a pianist or keyboard player. I think that the smaller, the better, because it's more convenient to have it right there on the desk to play around on instead of having to actually sit down at it. I could be totally off here, it's just personal preference.

-Drums: The Addictive Drums demo has a really good kit and it doesn't expire or add beeps or anything. As far as guitar, samples / synthesized usually isn't recommended, but this is a pretty decent heavy rhythm guitar sample pack:
http://impactsoundworks.com/products/instrumental/shreddage
It doesn't really do lead, though, so I don't know what to recommend there. I hope this helped!