Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Twenties Superstar posted:

They were taken with an iPhone

Yes, I read the article that accompanied the pictures. The comment was to illustrate that people who commented on the article with things like "ZOMG GREAT PIKUTRES!!!!!!!1111oneoeneone" were somehow able to look right past all that terrible noise and somehow assume the shots were done with something other than a pinhole camera on a phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

The last two people that asked me to take their pictures with their P&S had me fumbling around to actually take a god drat picture, making me look like a retard with an expensive camera.

I had a group ask me to take their picture the day after I finished reading some posing guide. The snapshot probably took quite a while longer than they had anticipated. That's what you get for bothering unsuspecting tourists with your snapshot requests.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/canon-wonder-camera-concept-promises-single-lens-perfection-vid/

Rockwell's going to poo poo his pants when this comes out

Hop Pocket
Sep 23, 2003

I probably will too

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Rated PG-34 posted:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/canon-wonder-camera-concept-promises-single-lens-perfection-vid/

According to the article I'll probably be in my 60s when it does, so the chances of me making GBS threads my pants anyway are probably higher.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Rixatrix posted:

Some guy asked me to take a picture of him and his girlfriend the other day. I was shown how to find The Button and after waiting for the couple to find their spot I proceeded to lift the camera to eye level to look through the viewfinder. I was confused for long enough for the guy who wanted his picture taken to come over and show me how to look at the LCD. Not one of my brighter moments, that.
The past few times I've been handed a camera, I put it up to my eye, shifted it around a few times, and realized it didn't have one.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Rated PG-34 posted:

Dear Retards,

Touch controls work great when you're looking at them. When you're looking at your camera's controls, you aren't looking at what you're supposed to be taking a picture of. This makes it hard to take pictures, which is the opposite of what a camera should do.

Sincerely,
Photographers

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Honestly, how much different is this a superzoom like the SX20? I know it's all for show, but I'd be way more impressed with a medium format sensor and F/1.4 zoom lenses.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8N0zq0q5s4

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

squidflakes posted:

Yes, I read the article that accompanied the pictures. The comment was to illustrate that people who commented on the article with things like "ZOMG GREAT PIKUTRES!!!!!!!1111oneoeneone" were somehow able to look right past all that terrible noise and somehow assume the shots were done with something other than a pinhole camera on a phone.

You realize there is quite a bit more to nice shots than a lack of noise? The shots are good. Generic pictures of hot women, yes, but the quality is nice, regardless of the small amount of noise.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

As long as it doesn't look as retarded as that. I wouldn't be seen dead with it.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

poopinmymouth posted:

You realize there is quite a bit more to nice shots than a lack of noise? The shots are good. Generic pictures of hot women, yes, but the quality is nice, regardless of the small amount of noise.

Yes, I realize that. My comment was more about the people in the comment section of that post who were amazed that such a picture could come from an iPhone.

Personally, I don't see how you could mistake those images for ones produced by anything other than a pinhole camera, but a scant bit of reflection later and I understand that non-photographers, non-computer people, and people who don't sit around looking at commercial work in magazines probably aren't aware of the difference and maybe don't even give a poo poo.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

Everybody must watch this.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Ringo R posted:

Yeah really, there is something horribly enjoyable about watching him flail about in the water hopelessly. Not that I derive pleasure from watching expensive equipment be totally destroyed.

But God drat. A lil bit of situational awareness goes a long way, clearly.

l33tc4k30fd00m fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 8, 2010

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Dear Retards,

Touch controls work great when you're looking at them. When you're looking at your camera's controls, you aren't looking at what you're supposed to be taking a picture of. This makes it hard to take pictures, which is the opposite of what a camera should do.

Sincerely,
Photographers

I have that same problem with shutter speed knobs on the top of the camera.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Beastruction posted:

I have that same problem with shutter speed knobs on the top of the camera.

My Minolta SRT-201 has a bar at the bottom of the viewfinder that tells me what the shutter speed is. I guess the 70s were a time of innovation in this area.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

dakana posted:

My Minolta SRT-201 has a bar at the bottom of the viewfinder that tells me what the shutter speed is. I guess the 70s were a time of innovation in this area.

I like the Nikon FT's solution, it has a shutter speed ring around the lens mount, so you don't have to move your hand away from the other controls. The ring has a little tab to turn it with (it's too narrow to turn otherwise) so you can figure out how far the tab can go before it's too slow to shoot handheld.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Ringo R posted:

I can watch people injure themselves all day but that's just cringe worthy. Poor camera gear. :(

brad industry
May 22, 2004

squidflakes posted:

Personally, I don't see how you could mistake those images for ones produced by anything other than a pinhole camera

In a low-res Youtube video I can't tell the difference.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

brad industry posted:

In a low-res Youtube video I can't tell the difference.

I didn't watch the video, I just looked at the stills.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
my friend just posted this on facebook. thought you uys would get a laugh too.

http://www.break.com/index/that-doesnt-make-you-a-model-song.html

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

This is both terrible and great. I like watching his gear take a second dunking after he makes a feeble attempt to get up, confirming total destruction of his equipment. Even the speedlight goes in. Looks like the camera body stayed on after it was completely drenched. I wonder if any of the images on the card were salvageable. Anyway, this guy's an rear end for ruining a wedding.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mannequin posted:

I wonder if any of the images on the card were salvageable. Anyway, this guy's an rear end for ruining a wedding.

I couldn't tell what kind of camera that was, but don't the prosumer and up bodies have some level of basic splashproofing? Not even waterproofing, but maybe it was enough to keep the water from sloshing in and around the card area too badly.

I'd be willing to bet that the card was OK.

Unless it took some water while writing or something, then bye bye birdie.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I couldn't tell what kind of camera that was, but don't the prosumer and up bodies have some level of basic splashproofing? Not even waterproofing, but maybe it was enough to keep the water from sloshing in and around the card area too badly.

I'd be willing to bet that the card was OK.

Unless it took some water while writing or something, then bye bye birdie.

IIRC weatherproofing setups require a filter to be on the lens to work, which he probably didn't have on seeing how it's a wedding. So if nothing else the lenses were probably ruined.

I'm also not sure that weatherproofed cameras are ok to be completely submerged like that, even for a short period of time.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, he definitely flooded the mirror box. Hopefully it was a slow enough trickle that it didn't penetrate the shutter and instantly take out the card.

As lovely as it is for the photographer, his first priority really should be to hope the photos are still intact.

Hope he had a backup body that wasn't around his neck :lol:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
My SSD came in today, and I'm super happy with it (It's kind of a low end one speed wise, Kingston 64gb) I put all my lightroom catalog, cache, and images onto the drive, and things load instantaneously now on LR3. Not even joking, it's day and night difference, if you guys do paid work, you owe it to yourselves to make your workflow less irritating. If you're a hobbyist, and can spare the cash, it's a gigantic huge upgrade.

It's like going from using a $400 Vista laptop w/ 1gb of ram and a Celeron or Pentium M or whatever to a desktop with a quad core, 16gb ram, and loving magic that makes things load instantly. I can't even imagine the people running Raid0 with Intel x25s or better.

ass is my canvas
Jun 7, 2003

comin' down the street

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, he definitely flooded the mirror box. Hopefully it was a slow enough trickle that it didn't penetrate the shutter and instantly take out the card.

As lovely as it is for the photographer, his first priority really should be to hope the photos are still intact.

Hope he had a backup body that wasn't around his neck :lol:

I sent a card through the washer and dryer once. Worked like nothing ever happened.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

rear end is my canvas posted:

I sent a card through the washer and dryer once. Worked like nothing ever happened.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Ditto. Wife sent both CF cards and SD cards through the wash and they worked fine after a nice regular cycle in the dryer.

notlodar
Sep 11, 2001

Flash memory is physically indestructible.

They are starting to build planes out of the stuff.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
I read a blog once where they did all kinds of things to CF cards and they had a pretty hard time making them not work. They froze them, put them in beer, water, washer and dryer, ran over them with a car, baked them in the oven, etc. They were able to get the data off the cards in every instance.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Whitezombi posted:

I read a blog once where they did all kinds of things to CF cards and they had a pretty hard time making them not work. They froze them, put them in beer, water, washer and dryer, ran over them with a car, baked them in the oven, etc. They were able to get the data off the cards in every instance.

Pretty much this, dry it out and you most likely get the data. The problem the photog might run into is if, like Martytoof said, the card got wet (or more specifically the contact terminals at the base shorted) while writing. Then the thing may still function but the data is likely corrupted to all hell.

This thing is the top YouTube video over the past 24 hours. 1m hits in 1 day.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

KennyG posted:

Pretty much this, dry it out and you most likely get the data. The problem the photog might run into is if, like Martytoof said, the card got wet (or more specifically the contact terminals at the base shorted) while writing. Then the thing may still function but the data is likely corrupted to all hell.

I would expect the last image to be corrupted but everything else intact or easy to restore. Writing to flash requires correct timings, so random short circuits will most likely be ignored by the card.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Saw this on a friend's Facebook today. Jamie Livingston shot a photo a day for 18 years until he died. Nearly every day from 1979 to 1997, chronicled via Polaroid.

http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
That last photo is depressing as gently caress..

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Endstage cancer does that :(

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.

Cross_ posted:

I would expect the last image to be corrupted but everything else intact or easy to restore. Writing to flash requires correct timings, so random short circuits will most likely be ignored by the card.

Let me rephrase, the filesystem could be corrupted to hell.

The file system is relatively small (which is why you can format your card in about 4 seconds, but reading 32 GB of flash data could take several minutes or more.

But, Yes, the data would still be there, mostly.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

KennyG posted:

Let me rephrase, the filesystem could be corrupted to hell.
FAT32 has redundant file tables, so yes- it could happen but again your chances of something going horribly wrong are pretty small.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

pwn posted:

Saw this on a friend's Facebook today. Jamie Livingston shot a photo a day for 18 years until he died. Nearly every day from 1979 to 1997, chronicled via Polaroid.

http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

drat that's raw as hell.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How the hell do you grab phorum posts from the new flickr? I found the HTML but no [img][/img] links... anyone figure this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engine Skull
Jul 9, 2003
I WON'T TRY TO GUESS THE NUMBER THIS TIME LOWTAX

spf3million posted:

How the hell do you grab phorum posts from the new flickr? I found the HTML but no [timg][/timg] links... anyone figure this out?

So far Phorumr doesn't work with the new Flickr. I just reverted back to the old Flickr until the script gets updates.