Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Always have extra socks. There's nothing worse than having soaked socks in soaked boots and they squish and ughhh gently caress that poo poo.

If possible, I might recommend a polar fleece liner for your sleeping bag. It's warm enough in summer to sleep in itself, and saves your rear end in winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

Mr.48 posted:

Or that means that all the people learn your name so when some staff for a different section gets told to pick 2 guys to go clean poo poo, guess what? The guy who's name people know gets picked.

Be the gray man, and you will always take the least poo poo.

Note: Being the gray man doesnt mean not being buddies with people, just staying off the staff's radar, and volunteering always gets you on the radar.

If you wanna stand out positively, do it by outperforming people on tasks that are given to you, don't just volunteer for random poo poo.

Where does everyone get the idea that I'm going to volunteering for poo poo left and right? Try my hardest only means I'm going to rock the poo poo out of anything I have to do. Y'all are just putting words in my mouth.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Because 99% of people do

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
Just don't be last, don't be first. Show some effort, put up with the poo poo your staff throw at you. Good luck, have fun.

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!
I was the gray man, I was really good at it too. I never had to do Fire picket/course senior/weekend duty. Extra anything at all. It was great. Then, week 6, my Godmothers fiance becomes one of the sister platoons instructors. :argh:

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
You know your the gray man when someone get into poo poo around week 8 or so and the staff go. Who the gently caress is Pte. Bloggins? When was he put on our course? Even though he has been there since week 1 day 1.

Too bad that wasn't me. It was weird on my platoon, 4 of us looked "alike" so sometimes they screwed up our names. On grade parade training I moved my eye slightly and all I hear is my Mcpl screaming. Pte. Bloggin's( as he is pointing at me) DON'T YOU loving MOVE!

Ruse posted:

I was the gray man, I was really good at it too. I never had to do Fire picket/course senior/weekend duty. Extra anything at all. It was great. Then, week 6, my Godmothers fiance becomes one of the sister platoons instructors. :argh:

See in that situations I couldn't see how they could see a connection, unless someone told them.:downsbravo: I find in situations like ( where they know your related to someone they know) that they will either gently caress with you more or just let poo poo slide. Like my brother having the same staff I did for basic. :owned:

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Heh, yeah. My father was a Lt. Col in the Reg force, at one time he dropped off some of my papers to the recruiting office at the unit for me while he was in uniform, not to mention that of course all the officers there know of him. We also had the son, and then later, daughter of a General. Talk about expectations from a family like that...

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

The recruiting center seems harder to get ahold of than they should be. I missed a call to book my interview a few days ago and I've been jumping through hoops to try to get ahold of them and leaving them messages to return my calls and I'm having no luck at all :(

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON

LemonAIDS posted:

The recruiting center seems harder to get ahold of than they should be. I missed a call to book my interview a few days ago and I've been jumping through hoops to try to get ahold of them and leaving them messages to return my calls and I'm having no luck at all :(

Get use to it. Recruiters cant do their job. Ive spent over 2 years in the recruitment process ( 3 separate occasions) and ive lost all respect for recruiters.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
Man I keep hearing recruiting horror stories. Sometimes I think I'm the only person that got in in a reasonable amount of time. Applied in April, swore in in May, went off to basic in July. Everything was smooth and easy.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Edit: Never mind

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 18, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fire Above posted:

Man I keep hearing recruiting horror stories. Sometimes I think I'm the only person that got in in a reasonable amount of time. Applied in April, swore in in May, went off to basic in July. Everything was smooth and easy.

I had it pretty easy I applied in early october, swore in mid november and went to basic about a week after. Mind you I went as artillery, which they were gay for at the time because they didnt have enough of us and, sure enough I learned why. But I had it pretty easy aswell

Primus
May 14, 2007

Greater than the sum of his parts.
So I just got an invitation to a uniformed reception aboard the HMCS Fredericton on the 27th when it docks in Montreal. Which is all fine and dandy except I haven't even left for BMQ, I leave in September. Given that I'm basically still a civilian I can safely assume they just mailed invitations to every name in the database for Montreal and I can ignore the invitation right?

Ruse
Dec 16, 2005

Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!

Primus posted:

So I just got an invitation to a uniformed reception aboard the HMCS Fredericton on the 27th when it docks in Montreal. Which is all fine and dandy except I haven't even left for BMQ, I leave in September. Given that I'm basically still a civilian I can safely assume they just mailed invitations to every name in the database for Montreal and I can ignore the invitation right?

That's my boat, but I wont be there. I'll be on a boarding party course instead. You should go if you've got your 1As by then. It wont be open bar, but it should be the cheapest booze in town.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Samu posted:

Thanks for the advice. My plan of attack is to just do my best. I'm almost definitely not going to be the best in my platoon or whatever, but I'm not going to not give my all because I'm afraid of standing out. I'm not going to ask stupid questions or stick out by being an rear end in a top hat. I want to carry my own load and lend a hand to whoever needs it when I can. I have good common sense and I'd like to think I'm good with people.

gently caress anyone who gives you static for being motivated. This is what I did - be a quiet professional, do your best at all your tasks and don't be an rear end in a top hat. That doesn't make you a keener or a suckup, it makes you a good soldier.

If you're really good at what you do, the staff will notice and give you more poo poo to do. Good. Do well at that poo poo too. Don't get sucked in by the bitter soldiers who are just trying to slide by and make their course as easy as possible.

Just don't talk about yourself, don't ask for more tasks and don't be a showoff if you're good at something. Help the guys that are struggling and stand up for yourself if people are being dicks to you.

Good luck.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

DrakeriderCa posted:

gently caress anyone who gives you static for being motivated. This is what I did - be a quiet professional, do your best at all your tasks and don't be an rear end in a top hat. That doesn't make you a keener or a suckup, it makes you a good soldier.

If you're really good at what you do, the staff will notice and give you more poo poo to do. Good. Do well at that poo poo too. Don't get sucked in by the bitter soldiers who are just trying to slide by and make their course as easy as possible.

Just don't talk about yourself, don't ask for more tasks and don't be a showoff if you're good at something. Help the guys that are struggling and stand up for yourself if people are being dicks to you.

Good luck.

Just to add to this, I tried very hard during SQ and DP1. As a result, I got the fieldcraft award, which resulted in me being placed on a recce course once I got to battalion. I tried my best on recce and got put on sniper course two months later.

Sometimes you get lucky and things actually pay off. But note what DrakeriderCa said: don't be a cocky prick, and help out your buddies when you can.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

Primus posted:

I'll be there, definitely go if you have the right order of dress. Montreal is the first stop in a month-long trip so it should be a blast.

Ruse posted:

That's my boat, but I wont be there. I'll be on a boarding party course instead. You should go if you've got your 1As by then. It wont be open bar, but it should be the cheapest booze in town.

Check your PMs please

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Got my interview and medical coming up in a few days? Anything I should know other than the obvious stuff like the trade I'm applying for?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Any of y'all know how many JAGs are being recruited these days? When I researched back in undergrad a few years ago someone on a CF board mentioned that they only accepted 3 out of a triple-digit applicant pool. Is demand still that low?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I failed phase 3 infantry and now I'm on PAT Pl in Gagetown. Life is good. :suicide:

Edit: the officer phase 3.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 19, 2010

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Wait, which serial are you on? I'm on 1001, and still alive and kicking. FSO is going to be rad, so I'll make sure not to post any photos of us shooting each other with simunitions to make you jealous.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Man simunitions are fun. We did a room-clearing exercise at this old as gently caress hospital in Guelph and the Guelph ERT showed up to play along

My rifle kept on jamming up so the cop in my squad let me use his 9mm glock, as his MP5 was working fine. It was all call of duty poo poo and it was AWESOME.

Then they stopped letting us go there because we busted walls down during room clearing.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Oh, trust me, I'm going to be taking every possible opportunity to kick doors. Being the big guy on the pl doesn't hurt. I enjoyed the bit on urban ops during CAP enough that I started thinking how awesome it would be to be part of an ERT, so that's been sitting in the back of my mind as a fallback career. Still, they don't get to be deployed to as many interesting parts of the world, and will never, ever operate under a 429. :black101:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Simkin posted:

Wait, which serial are you on? I'm on 1001, and still alive and kicking. FSO is going to be rad, so I'll make sure not to post any photos of us shooting each other with simunitions to make you jealous.

That's weird, I was 4 Pl as well. Didn't know there was another goon on course.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Hahahahaha.... Hope you're enjoying cleaning other people's rifles. I know I am.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

LemonAIDS posted:

Got my interview and medical coming up in a few days? Anything I should know other than the obvious stuff like the trade I'm applying for?

I have my interview next week. I keep hearing the same thing "know your trade" and be prepared to answer personal questions. Although I talked to one guy on the day he was being sworn in. He told me one question to be ready for is "why are you good for this job" and "why are you not good for this job".

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

It's just like any other interview. Except they may ask questions such as "Why do you want to serve your country" and such. Just be calm, have an answer that doesn't sound like total bullshit.

As said before, it'll probably be given by a junior or mid-level officer. Most I've seen were done by lieutenants or captains, but you might get a major.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010
So I didn't get into ROTP this past year by a sliver from what my recruiter told me, he said the best course of action rather then joining the Reserves while in University was to reapply to the ROTP this coming Fall. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can improve my application this time round. I will be attending UBC in September, another thing to add was with the exception of RMC/ROTP I got accepted into 6 Universities across Canada this past year.

Second thing is if accepted into the ROTP come second year will I simply be reimbursed for the first year or will my contract length be shortened.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!

Tom Swift posted:

So I didn't get into ROTP this past year by a sliver from what my recruiter told me, he said the best course of action rather then joining the Reserves while in University was to reapply to the ROTP this coming Fall. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can improve my application this time round. I will be attending UBC in September, another thing to add was with the exception of RMC/ROTP I got accepted into 6 Universities across Canada this past year.

Second thing is if accepted into the ROTP come second year will I simply be reimbursed for the first year or will my contract length be shortened.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the personnel selection worksheet is basically a three part form that ends up scoring you out of a certain number points. 1/3 for your score on the CFAT, 1/3 on your interview, 1/3 on how well you'd fit the job based on present skills and qualifications.

So, you could re-write the CFAT if there are any sections you didn't do as well as you could have done. You could also do worse, and they use the most recent score.

Practice your interview skills. They may ask the same questions again so practice answers for them.

Acquire skills directly applicable to the job you want. Flying hours and a Transport Canada radio endorsement if you want pilot, for instance. I dunno, maybe Duke of Edinburgh programs for combat arms stuff. Play team sports. That sort of crap.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Tom Swift posted:

Being in the reserves will do nothing to impact getting into rotp. You may get a chance to do a reserve basic and see if you like the army or not before signing a contract.

Even though in rotp you can get out with no cost after a year.

If you do a year or two of uni before being accepted they'll just shorten your obligatory service. I think the rate is two months oblig for every month of subsidization. So it would shorten your service by about 12 months depending.

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010

compressioncut posted:

I mentioned earlier in the thread that the personnel selection worksheet is basically a three part form that ends up scoring you out of a certain number points. 1/3 for your score on the CFAT, 1/3 on your interview, 1/3 on how well you'd fit the job based on present skills and qualifications.

So, you could re-write the CFAT if there are any sections you didn't do as well as you could have done. You could also do worse, and they use the most recent score.

Practice your interview skills. They may ask the same questions again so practice answers for them.

Acquire skills directly applicable to the job you want. Flying hours and a Transport Canada radio endorsement if you want pilot, for instance. I dunno, maybe Duke of Edinburgh programs for combat arms stuff. Play team sports. That sort of crap.

From what my recruiter told me my CFAT scores were really good. I'll be the first to admit I slacked off in high school when it came down to extra curricular activities. My first choice was Intel Officer and recruiter told me I was disqualified for that as RMC is only school that offers that and my Math a 74 in Calculus was to low. Left me interviewing for Civi U ROTP for Infantry and Logistics Officer.

Recruiter told me my file would stay open so all I would have to do is update interview, application, and medical. Seemed to hint that I missed the list by a couple. Everything from now on in is 150% for me. Joining teams and clubs this fall, and currently really getting into running and physical fitness.

I think another one of my downfalls was failure to market myself as a leader. I've been teaching and instructing people for the past 8 years, now I realize there is a difference between that and leading/commanding. So I fell I could have lacked in job suitability in the eyes of the recruiter.

I'll be applying as Infantry first as I'm interested in Close Protection and eventually going Intelligence and pointing towards CSIS in a far off future.

tuyop posted:

Being in the reserves will do nothing to impact getting into rotp. You may get a chance to do a reserve basic and see if you like the army or not before signing a contract.

Even though in rotp you can get out with no cost after a year.

If you do a year or two of uni before being accepted they'll just shorten your obligatory service. I think the rate is two months oblig for every month of subsidization. So it would shorten your service by about 12 months depending.

Yea not really looking at going Reserves at this time. The recruiter I talked to steered me away from this option and told me I should reapply.

I'm sure this is what I want to do. I've wanted to do this since I was 12 only now am I getting the chance. Hindsight is 20/20 and I always wished that I had done Cadets and Reserves @16 but worried parents pushed me away from this path. They've accepted that this is what I want to do after myself going through some really rough times where I had absolutely no clue what I was going to do with my life.

Thanks for the info on how the contract would change, good bit of info to know. I was kinda hoping so a reimbursement but I'm not terribly partial.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Generation Internet fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 7, 2023

Tom Swift
Apr 11, 2010

Generation Internet posted:

drat, this sounds a lot like me you're talking about except I'm only going into grade 11 now. It's always been the one thing I haven't lost interest in, despite not doing cadets and I'm not so sure about the reserves. I'm pretty determined to try for RMC though, maybe living within ~300 meters of it helps with that.

Glad to hear there are others out there like me. I got the chance to visit the RMC campus and it is amazing I regret not putting any effort into my work during high school, there is no doubt I could have easily gotten into RMC had I applied myself throughout grade's 9-12. My Average between 10-12 which CF DOES look at for ROTP was 77 my Grade 12 average was 84ish IIRC and without a doubt could have easily been higher had I worked hard from the beginning.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Generation Internet posted:

drat, this sounds a lot like me you're talking about except I'm only going into grade 11 now. It's always been the one thing I haven't lost interest in, despite not doing cadets and I'm not so sure about the reserves. I'm pretty determined to try for RMC though, maybe living within ~300 meters of it helps with that.

Just saying, if you get into the reserves at sixteen you'll have four years in and be a corporal By the time it's time for university. Once you have four years in the reserves (three plus summers works too), you can maintain your pay grade throughout university with rotp/rmc. That means that you will make corporal pay while in school, or 120 dollars a day for every single day. Like 45k a year while you grow a beard an get hammered as an undergrad.

Being in the reserves in high school is a very good hing to do if you plan on going rotp or rmc. I would recommend rotp.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Tom Swift posted:

From what my recruiter told me my CFAT scores were really good. I'll be the first to admit I slacked off in high school when it came down to extra curricular activities. My first choice was Intel Officer and recruiter told me I was disqualified for that as RMC is only school that offers that and my Math a 74 in Calculus was to low. Left me interviewing for Civi U ROTP for Infantry and Logistics Officer.

There are no ROTP slots for INT O? Weird. Remember that joining as one trade and remustering to another one isn't always guaranteed - I know a few Log O's who have been stuck in it for years now after their recruiter promised them that they'd be able to remuster to Infantry once they were in.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Anyone got any idea how damned long it takes the military to get back to people on average, or how long it takes before you go through your basic testing(to see if you're even worth hiring)?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

Anyone got any idea how damned long it takes the military to get back to people on average, or how long it takes before you go through your basic testing(to see if you're even worth hiring)?

Took me about eight months to get into the reserves in 07. People on my course who went infantry had crazy numbers like two weeks or three weeks. It's pretty fast for DEO infantry officers, I guess.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tom Swift posted:

I'll be applying as Infantry first as I'm interested in Close Protection and eventually going Intelligence and pointing towards CSIS in a far off future.

Noooooooooooo. First of all Infantry is full. Second of all, I've only met two or three infanteers who have their close protection course. And finally MP would be your best bet, close protection is part of the QL3s, I believe or its a course readily offered.

Fire Above
Mar 28, 2010
But that would mean he would have to be an MP. But if he's going officer he should get in quicker as it's only infantry NCMs that's full up. I think. But yeah, every MP CP guy I've seen or worked with overseas was a huge tool, so he's better off sticking it out in the infantry rather than becoming an MP and handing out speeding tickets while desperately hoping to get the high speed low drag course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fire Above posted:

But that would mean he would have to be an MP. But if he's going officer he should get in quicker as it's only infantry NCMs that's full up. I think. But yeah, every MP CP guy I've seen or worked with overseas was a huge tool, so he's better off sticking it out in the infantry rather than becoming an MP and handing out speeding tickets while desperately hoping to get the high speed low drag course.

MP officers don't really do the whole blading everyone on base and filling out reports for lost magazines thing, they have a much more boring job. Infantry officers also rarely get the CP course. You'd have better luck doing what you probably want to do by trying to go CSOR or something ridiculous.

Or you could just go infantry O and hate your life like the rest of us. :smith: