Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I know what you're saying. After seeing how well they handled the episode with Hinata, I was soooo very much looking forward to seeing Pain vs. 9-tails in it's full glory. This was poo poo though. Ugh, so disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XR Tango
Apr 8, 2009

Holy poo poo, this was the most massive let down of an episode possible.

I really don't care if people like the art style and liken it to other animes, to me it look like it was drawn mid 80's, and it totally went against normal shipuuden animation. Pain was almost unrecognisable between frames in parts, and wtf is it with the extreme closeups of his teeth/gums, where the hell did that come from?

gently caress the haters? gently caress the lovers. That poo poo wasn't naruto anime.

Insy
Jul 3, 2002
#crackhouse superstar

CubanMissile posted:

Anyone who draws Road Runner legs outside of the 70's is retarded.

Also, Pain bleeds from his nose and gums in the manga, that's probably why it was included in the anime:
http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/439/03/
http://www.onemanga.com/Naruto/439/08/

I think it's supposed to signify that his technique is actually killing him as well.

Insy fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 15, 2010

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

XR Tango posted:

gently caress the haters? gently caress the lovers. That poo poo wasn't naruto anime.

That's a good thing, Naruto is pretty mediocre on the whole.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
no episode this week i take it? Is next week a double?

Jaweeeblop
Nov 12, 2004

From what wikipedia is showing next week is a single but there is a double coming on July 29th. Kinda bummed there's no new episode this week, I didn't know they were planning this. Oh well I'm out of town next week so when I get back I get 2 episodes in 1 week followed by a double the next week, woo!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There was no new one piece or dragonball kai this week either, so I'm wondering if there was some holiday or something going on.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

XR Tango posted:

Holy poo poo, this was the most massive let down of an episode possible.

I really don't care if people like the art style and liken it to other animes, to me it look like it was drawn mid 80's, and it totally went against normal shipuuden animation. Pain was almost unrecognisable between frames in parts, and wtf is it with the extreme closeups of his teeth/gums, where the hell did that come from?

Uh-huh.

Frankly, I don't see where you're coming from. "OH NO THE ART WAS A LITTLE DIFFERENT." gently caress you. The action was awesome, the continued expansion on the Nine-Tail's\Pain's powers was awesome, and the cliff hanger showing the fourth Hokage? Awesome.

This is the best episode of Naruto yet. No loving flash backs, no long scenes of talking, back story or explanations of obvious poo poo. Just pure awesome action with powers that aren't stupid as gently caress.

It may have not been the best animated episode, but it sure as gently caress was the best written one.

Graviija
Apr 26, 2008

Implied, Lisa...or implode?
College Slice
I didn't like the episode because they changed the nature of Pain's powers (or at least expanded on them in a kind of...unnatural manner) and the tone of the fight. The animation was pretty good, mostly.

Graviija fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 10, 2010

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition
The other day on a whim I decided to catch up on the show as I hadn't watched it since the end of the Gaara rescue arc. It occurred to me that the amount of character growth between the first episode and the Orochimaru and Hokage fight, as opposed to the rest of the series is pretty lopsided. In that period the combat aspects are almost secondary, they're the vehicle for dramatic development, where as after that point it's just a series of fights that grow in scope and magnitude. Not to say that it isn't interesting and enjoyable to watch the non filler episodes, just to say that I kind've miss how things were done as opposed to how things are done.

This Pain fight has been fairly interesting, but it's just so DBZ like at this point. Everytime Naruto saves the village/world/day/whatever some bigger enemy appears and he has to go learn a new Technique so he can repeat the process, then all the time is spent on training montages before the fight begins and then the fight begins and concludes and the process starts all over. I dunno I'm probably just over thinking a show about kid ninjas but it just feels like the tone shifted and I've finally come to terms with the fact that it's never going to shift back.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Welcome to shounen anime.

SageSepth
May 10, 2004
Luck is probability given way to superstition

Taratang posted:

Welcome to shounen anime.

Is it like this on all the shows? The only 2 anime I've ever watched regularly were this one and one summer years back I watched all of DBZ.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Watch one piece, but stay far away from bleach.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

SageSepth posted:

Is it like this on all the shows? The only 2 anime I've ever watched regularly were this one and one summer years back I watched all of DBZ.
All the shows aimed at teenage boys... yes.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

Kingtheninja posted:

Watch one piece

Can't stress this enough. I'm not an anime (and especially shounen) fan by any degree, and I love the hell out of One Piece.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kingtheninja posted:

Better yet, don't watch any anime that has more then 70 episodes. They're all loving horrible pieces of poo poo. Watch something thats actually good, like Full Metal Alchemist or The Last Exile or the Hellsing OVAs etc. etc.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't watched One Piece and that's coming up to it's 500th episode.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Taratang posted:

I feel sorry for anyone that hasn't watched One Piece and that's coming up to it's 500th episode.

Anything that has 500 episodes is essentially perpetual filler. It won't ever end and when it does it will be sudden and ungratifying. It can't progress as a story or as characters in any meaningful way and it's just otherwise horrible, by virtue of being 500 episodes.

Sorry.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Anything that has 500 episodes is essentially perpetual filler. It won't ever end and when it does it will be sudden and ungratifying. It can't progress as a story or as characters in any meaningful way and it's just otherwise horrible, by virtue of being 500 episodes.

Sorry.

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Either read One Piece and then say that, or shut up.

Is there a Shippuden episode this week?

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

AshB posted:

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Either read One Piece and then say that, or shut up.

In a discussion about anime series length :ironicat:

It's much faster to blaze through archives of a manga than to watch 500 episodes, you know. 500 episodes would be a really hard sell for a new watcher even for the best series of all time ever.

Also why are we talking about One Piece :negative:

quote:

Is there a Shippuden episode this week?

Pretty sure there is, we just had a break week.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
My mistake on that, but my point stands: you can't call something "perpetual filler" and make dumb generalizations if you refuse to watch a counter-example that has pretty clear story progression. Even more recent filler (which was minimal and in short bursts), was just canon material the author didn't have time to put in the manga.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AshB posted:

My mistake on that, but my point stands: you can't call something "perpetual filler" and make dumb generalizations if you refuse to watch a counter-example that has pretty clear story progression. Even more recent filler (which was minimal and in short bursts), was just canon material the author didn't have time to put in the manga.

You could possibly call some of the fights filler because they go on for a while. Certainly they're the least interesting thing going on in the manga to my mind. I enjoy some of them, but I always find myself wanting to get back to the exposition and see what else the world has to offer and what the characters will do next. And let's not forget the whole Skypiea arc - which has very little connection to the rest of the story and Oda admitted he wrote simply because he wanted to do a classic adventure style arc, but which went on for a long time. I enjoyed it on the whole though, so whatever.

It's a difficult thing for many people to start though, and not just because of the length. The art is a lot more cartoony than typical for a manga and takes a while to find it's feet which puts some people off, plus Oda wasn't that great a writer for the first portion of the story and while there's the occasional glimpse of greatness (namely the Arlong Park arc) many find the first 100+ chapters difficult to read outside that one arc. He continuously improves as both an artist and a writer though and his art is some of my favorite in manga at this stage. As to the story, while it'll never be the greatest story ever told I do think he has perhaps the best handle on how to tell a story in manga as things stand. Every chapter is a joy to read regardless of what happens in it. Plus there's the lovely scanlations if you go that route instead of buying it.

As for Naruto itself: Will the same guy that did episode 167 be doing the next episode, or was it just a once off thing? I really hope to see more from the guy, especially if they keep adding filler of the same caliber to the fight.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2010

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is Luffy or whatever the Pirate King yet? If not it's loving garbage. If so then I guess I'll give it a try.

And I don't even know what you're talking about counter-examples no one has posted anything.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr. Crow posted:

Is Luffy or whatever the Pirate King yet? If not it's loving garbage. If so then I guess I'll give it a try.

Stories can only be an arbitrary length that you personally decide on nowadays? Thanks for the headsup. Give me a pm the next next time you gain control over an idea like this though will ya? I like to be kept in the loop.

Why are you even posting in a thread for a medium you consider garbage with no possibility of redemption in your mind out of interest?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Also why are we talking about One Piece :negative:

I think you know why.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Yes he is. Now go watch it.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

tsob posted:

Stories can only be an arbitrary length that you personally decide on nowadays? Thanks for the headsup. Give me a pm the next next time you gain control over an idea like this though will ya? I like to be kept in the loop.

Why are you even posting in a thread for a medium you consider garbage with no possibility of redemption in your mind out of interest?

The point is there is no story if it's that long. Hence filler. And all I originally said was don't bother with the freaking huge anime's, you get strung along by hundreds of lovely episodes with a few good episodes thrown in every once in a while to keep you coming back. I've already had the misfortune of starting Bleach and Naruto I was just trying to help the guy not make the same mistake and point him to something worth watching, that actually has a compelling story, action, character development and doesn't take 10 years to play out when it could have taken 10 months.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mr. Crow posted:

The point is there is no story if it's that long. Hence filler. And all I originally said was don't bother with the freaking huge anime's, you get strung along by hundreds of lovely episodes with a few good episodes thrown in every once in a while to keep you coming back. I've already had the misfortune of starting Bleach and Naruto I was just trying to help the guy not make the same mistake and point him to something worth watching, that actually has a compelling story, action, character development and doesn't take 10 years to play out when it could have taken 10 months.

I'd tell you to start One Piece and that it's pretty much the opposite of what you wrote but you seem set in your opinion so I doubt it's worth trying to convince you. It's not impossible like you seem to think it is to maintain story over that time. I'm quite happy to admit One Piece has it's faults, but that doesn't strike me as one of them. Then again, I still find some fun in both Bleach and Naruto most of the time so I'm probably not best qualified to comment.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

tsob posted:

I'm quite happy to admit One Piece has it's faults,

1) Only comes out once a week.
2)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

User0015 posted:

1) Only comes out once a week.
2)

2) Many of the one on one battles are quite boring, even if the character designs and powers involved are very imaginative.

3) The art doesn't suit everyone.

4) Oda keeps underestimating how long it'll take and it's probably going to go for another 15 years. Keeping him from releasing the mecha manga he wants to do next.

5) The early art and/or writing aren't so hot compared to other shonen manga that started around the same period like Bleach and Naruto.

Yea I'm struggling after that, but I'm sure I could find more faults if I thought about it for more than a few seconds.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Take the :circlefap: to the One Piece thread.

quote:

As for Naruto itself: Will the same guy that did episode 167 be doing the next episode, or was it just a once off thing? I really hope to see more from the guy, especially if they keep adding filler of the same caliber to the fight.

Just a once-off thing for now.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Kingtheninja posted:

edit: NO BAD ZEX DO NOT BITE.

I'll say: watch Naruto.

edit: NO NO NO I'M NOT GOING TO BITE.

Zexerous fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 15, 2010

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Zexerous posted:

edit: NO BAD ZEX DO NOT BITE.

I'll say: watch Naruto.

I'll say, anyone with half a brain agree's with him :colbert:

But anyway enough derailing.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Tonfa posted:

Just a once-off thing for now.

Yay!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I guess no episode this week either?

e: right it's Wednesday night right now :saddowns:

Greed
Apr 28, 2008
Episode is out

FALCON DAD PUNCHHHH

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Greed posted:

Episode is out

FALCON DAD PUNCHHHH

Just watched it.

It was very meh.

Also, apparently the next episode has been leaked. Though not subbed yet.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

he knows...

Hey, it's the only "5 seconds is actually a minute" sequence in anime that doesn't look completely retarded. Enjoyed the episode, though the last episode's improvised parts having a major spike in Pain's damage resistance is still pretty funny.

EDIT:

Mufreesboro posted:

Also, apparently the next episode has been leaked. Though not subbed yet.

How do you leak an episode :psyduck: I understand scanlations but how does this work

Also, 170-171 will apparently be a double episode that is a filler taking place before the timeskip, with the Pain Arc resuming after that week. The title is "Big Adventure! Search for the Fourth Hokage's Legacy". Kinda curious.

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 15, 2010

ipokesnails
May 28, 2007

The leaked episode is legitimate, but the quality is awful.

Edit: it's subbed now.

Edit 2:

:ughh:

The skit after the ending is also about boobs.

ipokesnails fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Tonfa posted:

Also, 170-171 will apparently be a double episode that is a filler taking place before the timeskip, with the Pain Arc resuming after that week. The title is "Big Adventure! Search for the Fourth Hokage's Legacy". Kinda curious.

That's probably a tie in to the movie which comes out in August. It features the Fourth Hokage.

• Locked thread