Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
Seriously, wear earplugs.

I have a serious case of tinnitus thanks to my lack of hearing protection at concerts/shows. Trust me on one thing: YOU DO NOT WANT TINNITUS.

So wear your earplugs kids. Those hearos are great and dirt cheap, I keep a pack in my bag and car at all times and you should too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.
take it from a builder, wear ear plugs. The amount of times I used to come home and my ears would still be ringing the next morning.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Just got my tickets to Splendour In The Grass today; any other Ausgoons heading along?

I'm happy with the timetable as well from both a shooter and punters point of view; there's only two clashes. The Strokes vs Band Of Horses; as a shooter I know that Band of Horses shots are going to be pretty good, but so are the Strokes; and as a punter The Strokes are going to be the way to go. Also, The Pixies vs Empire Of The Sun; the music isn't my type for Empire of the Sun, but the shots I've seen of Kim Deal/Frank Black and co from the last tour really make it seem like they're shithouse to shoot. Empire Of The Sun have the "homegrown band" advantage and big sparkley costumes going for them. On the other hand, I missed the Pixies last time they were here, and would love to shoot them for the hell of shooting them. Ack.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

I, Butthole posted:

Just got my tickets to Splendour In The Grass today; any other Ausgoons heading along?

I'm happy with the timetable as well from both a shooter and punters point of view; there's only two clashes. The Strokes vs Band Of Horses; as a shooter I know that Band of Horses shots are going to be pretty good, but so are the Strokes; and as a punter The Strokes are going to be the way to go. Also, The Pixies vs Empire Of The Sun; the music isn't my type for Empire of the Sun, but the shots I've seen of Kim Deal/Frank Black and co from the last tour really make it seem like they're shithouse to shoot. Empire Of The Sun have the "homegrown band" advantage and big sparkley costumes going for them. On the other hand, I missed the Pixies last time they were here, and would love to shoot them for the hell of shooting them. Ack.

I thought the strokes had broken up into side projects. This makes me very happy.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

AtomicManiac posted:

I thought the strokes had broken up into side projects. This makes me very happy.

New album March 2011, and they've already played a few festivals in the UK.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Viper_3000 posted:

Seriously, wear earplugs.

I have a serious case of tinnitus thanks to my lack of hearing protection at concerts/shows. Trust me on one thing: YOU DO NOT WANT TINNITUS.

I've read about cases where people are nearly driven to suicide because it's so aggravating.

Industrial supply stores are good places to get ear plugs. Buy them by the case. Keep a few pairs in the camera bag, a couple of pairs in your coat pocket and a few pairs in the glove compartment in case you're out and about and forget to bring them or run out in the field. Plus nothing builds goodwill among people like helping out someone when it's apparent they're suffering from the loudness at a show.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

rockcity posted:

Getting used to it isn't a good thing. Granted you shoot smaller shows most of the time, but I won't even go to a show in a tiny room with tiny amps without ear plugs anymore.
A hundred times this. You *cannot* recover hearing loss you've already incurred.

HPL posted:

Plus nothing builds goodwill among people like helping out someone when it's apparent they're suffering from the loudness at a show.
Most of the people without plugs aren't going to be the regulars/pros you'd want to network with, but pay it forward anyway. I once outfitted a 4-man band when I saw them using rolled up paper handkerchiefs as plugs.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 13, 2010

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

evil_bunnY posted:

Most of the people without plugs aren't going to be the regulars/pros you'd want to network with, but pay it forward anyway.

A lot of times they'll just have forgotten to bring a pair or run out. Besides, nothing wrong with helping a person in need regardless if they're a big wig or not.

That and you'd be surprised who "anonymous club patron #253" might be. Plenty of industry folks like to roll low profile.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I was actually in the back of a large show for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten just what a reasonable volume the music is when you're next to the sound board.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

I was actually in the back of a large show for the first time in a long time. I had forgotten just what a reasonable volume the music is when you're next to the sound board.

That depends highly on the acoustics of the venue. I've been in venues where it's considerably quieter in the barricade than it is in the back of the venue. Every venue has quiet and loud spots just based off of how the speakers are configured and the general layout of the facility. It has less to do with distance and more to do with sound wave interference. I actually did a test on this for a physics of music class in college and there was something like a 30 db range of volume in the venue I did the testing just from walking around to different areas.

Edit: Looks like I should be set to do shoot/interviews with In Fear and Faith and Of Mice and Men now too.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2010

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HPL posted:

Besides, nothing wrong with helping a person in need regardless if they're a big wig or not.
Yeah that was my point. Next time I'll actually proofread my post :(

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Wore earplugs all day and very glad I did. It was a lot of fun, a clusterfuck of running around and trying to get some decent photos, but a lot of fun. And in true MA fashion the clouds rolled in and it started to rain which was REAL fun.

I'll have a couple photos up tonight. Also Enter Shikari puts on one hell of a live show

*edit* some photos, I've still got to go through the rest but I've got an uneasy feeling. The Sigma 24-70 is sharp enough when you nail focus but I was just having trouble all day

Enter Shikari

Polar Bear Club

Bring Me The Horizon

Sum 41

More: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/sets/72157624490171064/with/4792442108/

Yeah I know, the watermark look's kinda dumb but I was shooting for the paper

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 14, 2010

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
My band played the Forecastle Festival in Louisville this weekend with the Flaming Lips, She & Him, Drive-By Truckers and a whole lot of other great bands. For me it was badass to see my bands name on a poster with the Flaming Lips.

I did not have a media pass however I was able to get my SLR in without much hassle because I had an artist pass. Also had a VIP pass for Sunday and that made my life much easier.

I don't think I did to shabby for only having shot a few local shows before.

Click here for the full 478x720 image.

Fav shot my girlfriend took of my band

The collection on flickr is here and some of my fav shots

Adventure (One of the best bands nobody has heard of)

Drive-By Truckers

She & Him

Spoon

The Flaming Lips

Everybody and their brother has this shot but I don't care cause it's awesome

And last but not least I shot my friend Kevin's band at Louisville Slugger Field on Saturday

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

ZoCrowes posted:

Click here for the full 478x720 image.

Fav shot my girlfriend took of my band

Great photos! What is the name of your band, I want to check you guys out cause that is a pretty solid beard.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Bojanglesworth posted:

Great photos! What is the name of your band, I want to check you guys out cause that is a pretty solid beard.

Haha thanks man. We're called Yardsale (https://www.myspace.com/yardsale). We've got one more show and then we go on hiatus for a while. We are relocating to different parts of the country but hopefully we will get back together sometime in the not too distant future.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Oh look, a Droid in the photo pit for Sum 41 ruining my shot. gently caress that bitch and her Droid. Though for ISO 6400 that looks pretty drat clean; thank you 5D Mark II

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4795697570/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 15, 2010

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I prefer that odd growth coming from his thigh.

Seriously, who goes in the photo pit with a camera phone?

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

I've never been a one trick pony. I like to have a competency in everything. I've been to business school.

I, Butthole posted:

Maybe a photog updating their twitter or sending a shot to a friend? I don't think I'd waste my 3 songs on that poo poo though.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

You will see this at every warped tour stop. I saw people doing it years ago when cell phone cameras were basically unusable. I shot a radio show 3 or 4 years back that apparently some people won photo passes for and there were no fewer than 3 people in the pit shooting with phones.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

You will see this at every warped tour stop. I saw people doing it years ago when cell phone cameras were basically unusable. I shot a radio show 3 or 4 years back that apparently some people won photo passes for and there were no fewer than 3 people in the pit shooting with phones.

Yeah there were a ton of people with iPhone 4 and a bunch of people with just point and shoots as well.

Also, decent Sum 41 photo

flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4795064519/

And some Set Your Goals (even though I cut his arm off)

flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/ehansenphoto/4795040935/

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 15, 2010

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

First night of Carnival of Madness. I was mad most of the night- the light was really, really bad. Then Shinedown blew it out with great stuff.

edit: I suck at spelling

Eeek fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 17, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Had my first "real" promo shot tonight. Was kind of a disaster, the band showed up 30 minutes late, had a member quit 6 hours before the shoot, and then had a show that night, which for some reason they wanted to do the promos like an hour before load in. So we shot quick, but it had to have been ~95+ degrees, by the end of it, no one was happy. I had a few spots picked out, including a really cool looking fountain, which of-course was turned off for some reason.

Not super stoked on the results, though I haven't really looked at them, but I learned a lot. Even if the promos turn out mediocre, I shot the concert too, and my concert shots turned out pretty good, so I guess chalk it up to another hard learning experience of "obvious bullshit that should be common sense".

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

We saw Lady Gaga last Monday. They actually encouraged bringing point & shoot cameras, but said "no professional equipment." All I have is an EP-1, but I didn't want to have to argue with $100 tickets over it as I'd have to carry in a long professional-looking lens to get any decent pictures at all.

My girlfriend though has a 20x Canon super-zoom which was just fine. She captured all these photos from the 300-level stands. The photostream starts here with the crappy opener: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58835302@N00/4794275962/

They came out noisy and over-exposed, but nothing a little Lightroom work couldn't fix...

No one we've shown them to believes we were in the highest stands.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

We saw Lady Gaga last Monday. They actually encouraged bringing point & shoot cameras, but said "no professional equipment." All I have is an EP-1, but I didn't want to have to argue with $100 tickets over it as I'd have to carry in a long professional-looking lens to get any decent pictures at all.

It's a shame you can't bring beers in, because you could totally cut the bottom out of a tallboy and put something like an original Pen-F or Leicaflex telephoto in there.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's a shame you can't bring beers in, because you could totally cut the bottom out of a tallboy and put something like an original Pen-F or Leicaflex telephoto in there.

Bring a Fleshlight and hide a 70-200 in it.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Conversely, I knew a guy who used to bring in a beer inside his 70-200 case.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

Yes, the lens area of most camera bags are perfect for booze. And it is pretty rare they ever get checked by security.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever gone so far as to make a flyer for their photography services and posted them at music-supply stores? Realistically, making one would only take an hour or two and even if you didn't get a shoot directly from it, you'd get your name out there for the future.

Any thoughts?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

AtomicManiac posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever gone so far as to make a flyer for their photography services and posted them at music-supply stores? Realistically, making one would only take an hour or two and even if you didn't get a shoot directly from it, you'd get your name out there for the future.

Any thoughts?

I never have, but that's not a bad idea. I've seen a flyer board at the Mars Music near me before, might be something to look into.

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

I never have, but that's not a bad idea. I've seen a flyer board at the Mars Music near me before, might be something to look into.

Yeah, I'm thinking there's at least 10 stores in my city, and since they offer lessons people go through them once a week. As a bonus young-kids in bands have parents take them who just sit. Maybe the parents buy the kids a photo-shoot. Sounds like a pretty good un-tapped market you might not be able to reach other-wise.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
While we're still on the same page as the earplugs discussion. Amazon has a ridiculous sale going on for a box of 50 pairs re-usable construction earplugs for $9. I picked this up and plan to keep a bunch of these in my bag for other people.

Milwaukee NRR 27 DB Corded Reusable Earplugs, Box of 50

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

rockcity posted:

While we're still on the same page as the earplugs discussion. Amazon has a ridiculous sale going on for a box of 50 pairs re-usable construction earplugs for $9. I picked this up and plan to keep a bunch of these in my bag for other people.

Milwaukee NRR 27 DB Corded Reusable Earplugs, Box of 50

Holy poo poo that is a lot of savings. I'm ordering those right now

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Eeek posted:

Yes, the lens area of most camera bags are perfect for booze. And it is pretty rare they ever get checked by security.

This. Three of the venues I regularly like to shoot in, have the highest priced beers in the world. $7 12 ounce Coors. Under my body is a plastic flask with a bit of vodka in it. Why? Cranberry juice is $2.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I took these at a Weapons of Audio show last month:

EDIT: Messed up my hosting. Here they are.

a foolish pianist fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 21, 2010

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
How the gently caress do I juggle a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 11-16 2.8 at a concert tonight?

I live next door to the best venue in town, and walked up an hour before doors opened and a confused ticket guy gave me a Performer wrist-band when I held up my camera w/70-200 on it. So I ran home and now it's lens picking time.

#firstworldproblems

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dunkman posted:

How the gently caress do I juggle a 70-200 2.8 IS and a 11-16 2.8 at a concert tonight?

Knock off your group photos and full-body shots with the 11-16 first. The lights are usually darker at the beginning of a set, so the ultra-wide will give you some wiggle room with that. Make sure you get everyone in the photo, even the drummer if possible. Use your first song for that. A good group shot is money because it can be a hard thing to do.

Switch to the 70-200 at the break between the first and second song then go to town on close-ups and waist-up photos for the second song. 70-200 on a crop is very tight even at 70mm so if you have to, go to the very left or right side of the pit and take photos across the pit at performers on the oppose side if need be.

Spend the third song mopping up and catching any angles you may have missed earlier or experiment a little if you're satisfied with what you already have.

Really, you should have a 17-50 in your bag as it will be a lot more useful for you than the 11-16. The problem with the 11-16 is that if the performers are standing at least a few feet away from the edge of the stage, they will be very small in the frame even at 16mm.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

dunkman posted:

I live next door to the best venue in town, and walked up an hour before doors opened and a confused ticket guy gave me a Performer wrist-band when I held up my camera w/70-200 on it. So I ran home and now it's lens picking time.

#firstworldproblems

7D w/ 17-55 or 11-16 with flash, 5D Mk2 w/ 70-200IS. That's how I roll :clint:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dunkman posted:

#firstworldproblems

Yeah, you'r really missing the sweet spot of focal distance for concert photos in my opinion. My two most used lenses for shows are my fixed 20mm f1.8 and my 50mm f1.8. I pretty much only use my 70-200 for drummer photos and I'd rarely want to go wider than 20mm.

Edit: Finally got my actual confirmation for Warped Tour. I had to write a follow up email before I got mine too. Usually MSO is on top of these things, not sure what the deal is this year.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 21, 2010

AtomicManiac
Dec 29, 2006

rockcity posted:

Yeah, you'r really missing the sweet spot of focal distance for concert photos in my opinion. My two most used lenses for shows are my fixed 20mm f1.8 and my 50mm f1.8. I pretty much only use my 70-200 for drummer photos and I'd rarely want to go wider than 20mm.

Edit: Finally got my actual confirmation for Warped Tour. I had to write a follow up email before I got mine too. Usually MSO is on top of these things, not sure what the deal is this year.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ashley-Petrones-Photography/388070568078?v=info

Judging by the pictures, this girl got a photo-pass to warped. So should I just not worry about having my website done and fire off an email anyway or wait till my site is done? The warped date I'm looking at is August 2nd...

AtomicManiac fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jul 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I've been approved to shoot Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers next week! :dance: There is a restriction on shooting from "the pit" but as there is no pit at this venue I'm hoping I can get just one song from behind the wall off of stage right (hard to describe, it's about ten feet from the corner of the stage.) The note from their people seems like there's wiggle room:

quote:

Wanted to let you know the following media restrictions for Steve’s show. Photographers can shoot the first three songs no flash. It is also preferred that the photographers shoot from in the house at a soundboard or aisle, etc and not from a pit.
Obviously their main concern is a photog jetting around between the band and the people who've paid good money to be there, lessening the experience. It's pretty easy to be invisible behind the wall and get some great shots (Leon Redbone and Leo Koettke)

Even if I'm stuck in the balcony or aisle the whole time, I'm stoked. I grew up watching him.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 22, 2010