Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

TC the Giant posted:

CW also has one-dimensional bandwidth requirements. SSTV needs about as much bandwidth as a normal phone transmission, and isn't terribly robust to begin with. I'm still going to make the test pattern GET OUT image, but I don't know how far I'll be able to throw it.

On the plus side, if someone gets seriously up in arms over it, I promise I will issue a public statement calling them a loving retard.

I honestly don't know how the general ham population is as far as that kind of stuff goes, but I bet some retarded greybeard out there is going to end up being offended because the image 'goes against the friendly nature of ham radio', just like the dude who scolded me on the repeaters for using the word 'crap'.

I would do this... Prepare a second transmission as an apology just in case. Something simple like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 28, 2019

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

TC the Giant posted:

CW also has one-dimensional bandwidth requirements. SSTV needs about as much bandwidth as a normal phone transmission, and isn't terribly robust to begin with. I'm still going to make the test pattern GET OUT image, but I don't know how far I'll be able to throw it.

On the plus side, if someone gets seriously up in arms over it, I promise I will issue a public statement calling them a loving retard.
Something like this would be better; those who get the joke will get it, and those who don't won't.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Jose Pointero posted:

Ya know, you don't have to use SSTV to do that...waterfall images are much more leet. And also more likely to piss people off :bahgawd:

I love poo poo like this. I love this hobby.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

nmfree posted:

Something like this would be better; those who get the joke will get it, and those who don't won't.

Basically, but I want to start with an SVG, and also I'm very lazy.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Is there anything like DIGTRX that works on Windows 7?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

xergm posted:

Is there anything like DIGTRX that works on Windows 7?

I get DIGTRX to work in Vista by running it in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Maybe the same thing will do it in Win7?

Alternatively, the same thing, but in the WinXP virtualization mode.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

TC the Giant posted:

I get DIGTRX to work in Vista by running it in Windows 95 compatibility mode. Maybe the same thing will do it in Win7?

Alternatively, the same thing, but in the WinXP virtualization mode.

I tried that here. It just crashes in Win7.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That's why we need to keep the hobby alive: so we can raise a new generation of ham coders who actually know how to build an interface and write reliable software!

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

As a heads-up, the iPhone program Morse-It seems better at decoding CW than the programs like CWGet, DM780 or other Windows software I've tried. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPuCVs1Jz94 ... It's definitely not perfect but it was doing a lot better job than those other lousy programs at the time.

EDIT: Oh right.. it also has a mode to encode text into morse code, a glossary of morse code characters where it displays each character and the code that represents it and plays it back for you if you click on each letter/number, and a mode to try your hand at morse code yourself in various modes like straight key or iambic paddles. Fun if you're trying to learn morse code.

DOUBLE EDIT WHOAAAAAAA!: This is also an example of why the Collins 300Hz narrow filter for the FT-817ND (or probably almost any radio that can use one) is fantastic. I was having trouble picking out this station's broadcast amongst others and the loud noise floor at 80m along with the signal not being super strong made it seem hopeless. Then, I just turned on the narrow filter and shifted the IF-Shift up until it matched that station's CW audio frequency and ALL you could hear was its morse code. Static, interference, other stations = Immediately all gone. That filter is simply made of magic.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 14, 2010

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Welp. Any goon ham-related apps on Android? I've never thought to check until now.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
So, if I want to play with packet radio it is my understanding you can either use a computer's sound card and software or a "TNC". Does anybody have any links to any idiot' guides for the sound card option?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I'm new to the thread and didn't find it in the OP.

Edit: Also, if I want to put a homemade 2 meter or 70cm antenna on my roof, is the J pole made out of 1/2" copper pipe a good option? Seems easy enough and I can solder like a motherfucker.

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 14, 2010

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Grilldos posted:

Welp. Any goon ham-related apps on Android? I've never thought to check until now.

I don't think it was goon made but Ham Radio Study by Tango 11 was really useful for me when I was studying for the General.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

dv6speed posted:

So, if I want to play with packet radio it is my understanding you can either use a computer's sound card and software or a "TNC". Does anybody have any links to any idiot' guides for the sound card option?

I'm sure this has been talked about before but I'm new to the thread and didn't find it in the OP.

Edit: Also, if I want to put a homemade 2 meter or 70cm antenna on my roof, is the J pole made out of 1/2" copper pipe a good option? Seems easy enough and I can solder like a motherfucker.

Try some of these pages since they have a little bit about everything.

I haven't put up a copper J-pole but a lot of the guys in the old club up in Jersey that I licensed with had them on their roofs. When I mentioned an interest in making one, they sent me here for decent instructions. Oh... If you want to make a 'portable' unit for camping/backpacking/shits-n-giggles, you can make one out of a 5 foot piece of television twin-lead that rolls up into a small coil for easy storage. I plan to make one of these to throw up in the backyard for chatting with the repeatards if I can find someone who actually wants to talk.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

LtDan posted:

At this point I think we could probably organize a club as well.

I'm down to do this, and I'll even offer to be the trustee. Who wants to be a member, who wants to be officers, and who wants to organize the net? Let's do this for real.

LtDan
May 1, 2004

Would we do the net over EchoLink for those of us operating QRP or without access to HF rigs?

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!

LtDan posted:

Would we do the net over EchoLink for those of us operating QRP or without access to HF rigs?

That could probably be arranged. I don't have access to a frequency-agile HF EchoLink rig right now, but I'm sure one of the more hardcore goons could set something up.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
About satellite radio BBS systems/store and forward digital: Is it right that there's only two operational ones now, one on AO-51 (Echo) and one on HO-68 (XW-1), and both share their frequencies with voice repeaters, and are scheduled to spend most of their time in voice mode, meaning that if I manage to upload a PacSat message/file for somebody in Buenos Aires or Osaka, the message will have timed out and deleted by the satellite before they can receive it, even if they are prepared to ask the satellite for traffic at every pass? If so I guess the only useful mode of such satellite communication would APRS via the ISS, and that PacSat is already dead.

I'm sorry if I sound negative about this, but the concept of an orbiting BBS sounded so cool, and it seems like the dedicated BBS satellites have ended their service life already. Anybody in for GoonSat? :iamafag:

e: Looks like Australian students are already on the job: http://www.bluesat.unsw.edu.au/ :australia:
e: They will also accept a number of Dollarydoos to pay for launch. It's even tax deductible in Australia.

Vir fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 7, 2021

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
OK, I was checking out info for a hamfest this weekend and found the K4ADL's Kartoon Korner listed on the club's main page.

I seriously don't know why half the poo poo he put up there made me laugh like a lunatic, but it did.

Oh... Any St Louis area Missouri hamgoons going to the Washington, MO Zerobeaters Hamfest this weekend?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BigHustle posted:

Oh... Any St Louis area Missouri hamgoons going to the Washington, MO Zerobeaters Hamfest this weekend?

drat it! I'm going to be hanging out with my brother in Springfield, IL all weekend.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The FCC recently made a rule change permitting employees of non-governmental emergency services to use their amateur licenses in emergency exercises and not just during an actual emergency. This should be a good thing, because emergency operation has to be trained. The use is limited to the exercise, to avoid emergency services using ham radio as their primary communication system - which it's not supposed to be.
http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-10-124A1.doc

Vir fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 16, 2010

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard
I have a Yaesu VX-8dr and I'm curious if anyone has a good recommendation on both a good mobile antenna that will work great on 2m and 70cm at the very least, but it would be nice to cover the range I can transmit with the radio. Also, when I'm away from my car, any good recommendations for a rubber duck antenna for when I'm hiking?

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

teejayh posted:

I have a Yaesu VX-8dr
How much $ did ya get that for?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

teejayh posted:

I have a Yaesu VX-8dr and I'm curious if anyone has a good recommendation on both a good mobile antenna that will work great on 2m and 70cm at the very least, but it would be nice to cover the range I can transmit with the radio.
This is what I use on my pickup truck, it's small, magnetic, and lovely, but it's cheap and works decently enough (on receive). If you're looking for something more "real" and "not lovely" then pretty much anything by Diamond will work p. well.

teejayh posted:

Also, when I'm away from my car, any good recommendations for a rubber duck antenna for when I'm hiking?
I use this whip; it's another Nagoya, see above re: lovely & cheap but works decently. Actual rubber ducks are only worth the tears they produce.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Phuzion posted:

I'm down to do this, and I'll even offer to be the trustee. Who wants to be a member, who wants to be officers, and who wants to organize the net? Let's do this for real.

My suggestion for the club callsign: AG0ON

I keep putting off the antenna building since I can't afford any decent spools of wire at the moment. As soon as I get back on HF, I'd be down for doing something club related.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BigHustle posted:

My suggestion for the club callsign: AG0ON

If no one takes that, I'm totally going to put that on a vanity application.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

xergm posted:

If no one takes that, I'm totally going to put that on a vanity application.

That is/was on my list of vanity calls. As soon as I get my Extra, my application is going in. I figured it would be perfect for the HamGoon ARC though.

One of the others that is open that I keep thinking about and deciding against is NO0OOO. That poo poo would be hilarious, but spelling it phonetically a million times to make sure it gets out there correctly would be a pain in the rear end.

teejayh
Feb 12, 2003
A real bastard

dv6speed posted:

How much $ did ya get that for?

400 and some change. I also bought a cig lighter adapter, the gps, and a external mic plus because I'm greedy and can't wait, I paid for overnight shipping which brought me up to around 6 bills.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

BigHustle posted:

That is/was on my list of vanity calls. As soon as I get my Extra, my application is going in. I figured it would be perfect for the HamGoon ARC though.

One of the others that is open that I keep thinking about and deciding against is NO0OOO. That poo poo would be hilarious, but spelling it phonetically a million times to make sure it gets out there correctly would be a pain in the rear end.

Don't forget WO0T, W0OT, and WO0OOT.

I just recently acquired a callsign with a WTF suffix.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
As much as I really want to get a vanity, I just feel like I should keep my crappy 2x3. I guess I feel that no one else has ever had this call, so it's my call.

Or maybe I'm not creative enough to actually think of anything cool besides my initials. :eng99:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous
I finally got off my rear end and made an antenna, pulled the FT-101 out of the shipping box, and set it up.

However, I have a small problem. The thing worked before I moved, but now I have absolutely ZERO transmit power. I can turn it on and receive well enough, but popping the mic actually makes the power meter move left instead of right.

Between this and the motorcycle not running, all of my hobbies are making GBS threads all over me these days.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

BigHustle posted:

I finally got off my rear end and made an antenna, pulled the FT-101 out of the shipping box, and set it up.

However, I have a small problem. The thing worked before I moved, but now I have absolutely ZERO transmit power.
Just an inexperienced radio operator throwing out ideas here... Could your SWR in your homemade antenna be too high and the radio is cutting power back so it doesn't blow itself up? I've played with CB radios that do this.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I will happily treasure our funds

we're broke

Rev Quackers
Oct 28, 2007

Wait, are those Pineapple Margaritas?!? Ducks FUCKING LOVE Margaritas! They're practicality our favorite things ever!
I'm down to start a Goon Ham Radio Club

Who is with me? We need at least four people to join us!

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Rev Quackers posted:

I'm SO down.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Rev Quackers posted:

I don't even know what's involved in this but I want in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
Yeah, why not? I'm in (also, I'm NB9F now, not sure if I posted the change).