Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Unfortunately, I'm having big time issues with Startopia in Win 7 x64. I was aware of it, and indeed tried it, but there's some graphical glitching. The menu freaks out and glitches all over. It's fine in-game until you try to lay down a building, and that glitches the graphics even more.

FWIW, Startopia works just dandy on my Win 7 x64 system. ATI graphics, if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

FWIW, Startopia works just dandy on my Win 7 x64 system. ATI graphics, if it matters.

You saying it works at least made me go back and try again, and it turns out it was the hardware T&L that really hosed things up, on my Nvidia card. Switching to software T&L got rid of the problem. So, BRB, gonna play Startopia for the next dozen hours.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Alright, tonight is the last chance for the Rebellion pack. Whaddya guys think? Worth it?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

Alright, tonight is the last chance for the Rebellion pack. Whaddya guys think? Worth it?

Depends on what you want/already have. If you really like strategy games, yeah, if not just pick and choose what looks interesting, my purchase of the three I found most interesting looking was like $12 total.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Depends on what you want/already have. If you really like strategy games, yeah, if not just pick and choose what looks interesting, my purchase of the three I found most interesting looking was like $12 total.
The only difference is that if you buy the whole set, you save 50%, but if you pick and choose, you only save 30%. I CANT PASS UP THE SAVINGS, MAN.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

You saying it works at least made me go back and try again, and it turns out it was the hardware T&L that really hosed things up, on my Nvidia card. Switching to software T&L got rid of the problem. So, BRB, gonna play Startopia for the next dozen hours.

:hfive:

Don't forget my collection of Startopia stuff and fan missions from some pages back: http://www.mediafire.com/?njmkujzjjlj

deichkind42
Feb 22, 2004
Has anyone here tried Heroes of Might And Magic 3 under windows 7 32-bit?
I want to get the game for my netbook, but i'd like to know if it runs stable at first. (They really should hurry up with the Windows 7 compatibility fixes)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

deichkind42 posted:

Has anyone here tried Heroes of Might And Magic 3 under windows 7 32-bit?
I want to get the game for my netbook, but i'd like to know if it runs stable at first. (They really should hurry up with the Windows 7 compatibility fixes)

If it works just fine under Windows 7 x64 (and it does), I'm sure it'll be fine on the 32-bit version.

permabanned
Aug 12, 2008

優しい野菜
Sorry to make a little off-topic remark.
I'm running an XCOM Terror from the Deep on Dosbox, and I've got a question about a peculiar tactical combat situation.

I have some of the technologies - at least I have armor, M.C. readers and all the alien beginner weapons. A bunch of supply cruisers appeared over Egypt at night, 2 AM or something, and I've shot two of them down, yes I have sonic oscillators too.

So I thought basically that it would be some Lobstermenbut they those were just some Aquatoids and loaded out my assault teams with heavy weapons and thermic lances. Now, I don't have any saves previous to the tactical situation, so I can't load, change assault teams weapons and fly there once again, however I really need ion accelerators and there are live medics, navigators, technicians and squad leaders on those ships. The weakest weapon that I have is a sonic pistol.

Question: how do I take those valuable prisoners alive, because I've goddamn played out the missions 3 times already and they all end up dead.

Edit: Basically the first time they have killed half of my team, due to MC, Hallucinoids, surpize shooters and the massive bombardment by grenades. I also have motion detectors, but first time I didn't look, so next time I've detected all of them and sniped out all the soldiers, I've been unable to keep the alien officers alive. The third time I've shot explosive rounds outside, to stress the hell out of them, but the squad leader and the technician went beserk and blew the top of the alien sub off, dying in the explosion.

Edit: A thousand of thanks for this \/\/\/

permabanned fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 13, 2010

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If you don't mind cheating a little, you can use XCOMUTIL to just replace your soldiers' weapons with stunning stuff. When I was 15 years old playing UFO Defence for the first time, I changed all the aliens' weapons into Elerium. :shobon:

(Make sure you back up your saves before messing with them.)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why did GoG get rid of the Thursday new game release? It was always nice to see what would come out, especially on a week like this when the Tuesday release is so forgettable.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

permabanned posted:

Sorry to make a little off-topic remark.
I'm running an XCOM Terror from the Deep on Dosbox, and I've got a question about a peculiar tactical combat situation.

Just tell people you are playing the GOG version :)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Strategy First simulation games 50% off this weekend!!!

Apache vs. Havoc
Comanche vs. Hokum
Darkstar One
Pro Pinball Big Race USA
Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey
Pro Pinball Timeshock

With accompanying contest.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
As far as I am aware, there's no point in getting Apache vs. Havoc because Comanche vs Hokum includes those two helicopters and the same maps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I would recommend Comanche vs Hokum though because although the graphics are kinda poor even by todays standards, it's still a lot of fun and has a great dynamic campaign system. It also supports TrackIR (well I use FreeTrack) which really owns.

edit: It's nice and friendly to play too, not a hardcore game at all once you spend a few minutes with the keyboard layout diagram and learn a few acronyms.

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 16, 2010

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

So do you guys recommend those Pro Pinball games? Also, if I were to pick one of the three, which would it be? Make a ranking or something. :)

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
If only it was a Strategic Simulations Inc sale.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Zat posted:

So do you guys recommend those Pro Pinball games? Also, if I were to pick one of the three, which would it be? Make a ranking or something. :)

I have the same question about the quality of the games, but hell all 3 are like $9 so I'll probably just buy them all if they are decent. Why the hell can't you find a good pinball machine any more :(

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Hidden Asbestos posted:

As far as I am aware, there's no point in getting Apache vs. Havoc because Comanche vs Hokum includes those two helicopters and the same maps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

I would recommend Comanche vs Hokum though because although the graphics are kinda poor even by todays standards, it's still a lot of fun and has a great dynamic campaign system. It also supports TrackIR (well I use FreeTrack) which really owns.

edit: It's nice and friendly to play too, not a hardcore game at all once you spend a few minutes with the keyboard layout diagram and learn a few acronyms.

I believe without EEAH you can fly the apache and havoc in EECH but you don't get the cockpits. I could be wrong, however... as I have both.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Strategy First simulation games 50% off this weekend!!!

Apache vs. Havoc
Comanche vs. Hokum
Darkstar One
Pro Pinball Big Race USA
Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey
Pro Pinball Timeshock

With accompanying contest.

I wish I could recommend a single one of these games.

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Comanche vs. Hokum is a great sim for both the newbie flight simmer and the helicopter enthusiast, and I will be re-buying it now. :colbert:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Zat posted:

The last time the Pro Pinball games came up in a GOG thread I think the popular opinion was that Big Race USA is the best, although I haven't played any of them myself so I would love a confirm/deny on this.

E: Going by the star ratings on GOG, Timeshock seems to be the most liked.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Timeshock is really the best of them, Big Race USA kinda suffers from the worse layout and is not as much fun as time travelling.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

I can, the Pro Pinball games are fantastic and are easily the best retail pinball simulators ever made.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Christ. I'm at the end of Two Worlds, and decided to use the strength of gods spell. I now have 309 strength + 1071. With the retarded bonus sword, that's 96,074 slashing and merely 37,771 fire. Jesus.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
I bought the might and magic pack and started through world of Xeen but when I want to leave the first town it asks for a password but the manual I got with the download doesn't work.
This sucks, ten dollars wasted.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Awesome Andy posted:

I bought the might and magic pack and started through world of Xeen but when I want to leave the first town it asks for a password but the manual I got with the download doesn't work.

When in doubt check/ask in the forums there:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/might_and_magic_series/passwords_for_leaving_town_in_mm4_amp_amp_5/perm=1/#p_b_1

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Awesome Andy posted:

I wish they would make it clear when games require that stuff. I hate having to deal with it, surely somebody could hack them for us. I got that pack, but I just can't get into them much, too old and pre-3D yet still 3D for my tastes.

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender
The manual that is provided with the might and magic series has typographical errors fixed overthe original version. The downside is that the passwords don't work.

On the upside, if you look in the start menu for the game or in the directory, they have a password cheat sheet pdf with all the passwords on it. In addition, once you put the password in once you will never need to again.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Awesome Andy posted:

As shelcar said, there's a PDF with all the passwords in it.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

How does EEAH compare to Longbow 2?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

shalcar posted:

The manual that is provided with the might and magic series has typographical errors fixed overthe original version. The downside is that the passwords don't work.

On the upside, if you look in the start menu for the game or in the directory, they have a password cheat sheet pdf with all the passwords on it. In addition, once you put the password in once you will never need to again.

Thanks alot guys, that's the help I needed.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

sethsez posted:

As shelcar said, there's a PDF with all the passwords in it.

I know, it's just annoying. Also I recall some games, not the MM ones, but some would randomly pop up with questions and code wheels and other stuff. I'd just assume they could crack those out like they did back in the day.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The best copy protection ever was Monkey Island's wheels, and they should reprint and ship those with every new version of the game for nostalgia.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Man I loved those loving wheels

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

glug posted:

The best copy protection ever was Monkey Island's wheels, and they should reprint and ship those with every new version of the game for nostalgia.

I think that the best, and most frustrating, copy protection was from Leisure Suit Larry 3:

quote:

Never Never Ever eat nectarines washed
NO! Eat Nontoonyt Nectarines Naturally
When we're slurping wholesomely, we
Nibble nutritiously with nectarines

loving Sierra and their mazes!

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
The world would be a cooler place if a gun wouldn't let you empty out a man's cash register without first answering a riddle.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

glug posted:

The world would be a cooler place if a gun wouldn't let you empty out a man's cash register without first answering a riddle.

Riddles are polite. LSL5 and the original Sim City has charts with gibberish symbols on it that you had to skim up and down for.

Future Wars, the old Delphine game, used a black and white picture of a guy's pants splattered in paint. You had to match the colors to that of the back of the game's manual. Not easy if you're a kid who doesn't know he's colorblind yet :mad:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis had copy protection in petroglyphs that bordered each page of the manual. For some reason though, the copy protection was mentioned in the manual but didn't actually exist in the Mac version of the game. Even today, launching my Mac version of that game in SCUMMVM doesn't bring up a copy protection screen.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

rt4 posted:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis had copy protection in petroglyphs that bordered each page of the manual. For some reason though, the copy protection was mentioned in the manual but didn't actually exist in the Mac version of the game. Even today, launching my Mac version of that game in SCUMMVM doesn't bring up a copy protection screen.

I remember the CD version of Day of the Tentacle, which had the beakers filled with different levels, even though there was no copy protection in the CD version.

I think Lucas just made one version of the manual and left it to us to sort the rest out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
New release today: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare for $6.

I remember playing the PS1 version and being less than impressed by it. Is the PC version any better?