Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

methamphetamine posted:

I love how so many people is this thread think it's nerdy and lame to work hard and get good grades but then whine 24/7 about no jobs.

Well at least now it won't be awkward at all if you run into him there next year. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004
Do you know how to make a holy bartender?

methamphetamine posted:

Are you a rising 2L too? I don't have private messages but give me an email address and I'll tell you who I am. I rarely talked in class I dunno if you'd be able to guess.

I love how so many people is this thread think it's nerdy and lame to work hard and get good grades but then whine 24/7 about no jobs.

I'm about to be a 1L at Cornell. How hosed am I?

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

holybartender posted:

I'm about to be a 1L at Cornell. How hosed am I?

Last year, which was the worst OCI ever, about 40% of the cornell students ended up with biglaw summer spots. If you want to practice in NYC you have a pretty good shot, but I definitely wouldn't start relaxing.

holybartender
Jun 27, 2004
Do you know how to make a holy bartender?

methamphetamine posted:

Last year, which was the worst OCI ever, about 40% of the cornell students ended up with biglaw summer spots. If you want to practice in NYC you have a pretty good shot, but I definitely wouldn't start relaxing.

Why'd you decide to leave?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

Soothing Vapors posted:

nsfw version

the picture in the top left kills me every time

I literally gagged at the top right picture. This is so, so sad...

*puts on an .avi of sasha grey getting pissed on, jerks off to it*

Do you guys actually tell potential non-T 14 law students to just not bother going? I feel like it's my duty to do so (as a citizen of the world), but at the same time who am I to crush dreams? Maybe they'll be the special special snowflakes that gets a biglaw job out of Cooley.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

methamphetamine posted:

Are you a rising 2L too? I don't have private messages but give me an email address and I'll tell you who I am. I rarely talked in class I dunno if you'd be able to guess.

It's p. nerdy when people work hard and get grades only to find out there are no jobs and they're unemployed, when in comparison I slacked my way through law school, graduated around 300th in my class out of just under 500, and enjoyed myself immensely, and am just as employable. Actually, probably moreso, because I ended up with a job.

methamphetamine
Oct 4, 2004

holybartender posted:

Why'd you decide to leave?

I think largely because I went to a really crappy undergrad which gave me a chip on my shoulder about prestige. Also, cornell doesn't place as well on the west coast where I want to be.

You will hear a lot of people bitching about Ithaca because it's cold and it's a small town but honestly I really enjoyed my time here. I like the law school itself, the students, and the town. The cold weather can be a bit much for someone from california though....

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

SWATJester posted:

It's p. nerdy when people work hard and get grades only to find out there are no jobs and they're unemployed

This. I was a gunner douche that did well in the best law school in his market, was a law review editor, and then worked 1 year at the biggest firm in town before getting canned because my group lost the client responsible for 85% of my billable work. Now I'm an unemployable bum. And I'm probably not even the worst case of good grades + hard work = nothing in the thread.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

methamphetamine posted:

:allears:

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

methamphetamine posted:

I haven't had a whole lot of interviews since law school but of the few I have been on, none have actually even asked me for my transcript.

quepasa18
Oct 13, 2005

HooKars posted:

I haven't had a whole lot of interviews since law school but of the few I have been on, none have actually even asked me for my transcript.

Did you have your St. Louis interview yet? If so, how'd it go?

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

HooKars posted:

Clearly you're just a slacker. If you had worked harder the summer before law school things would be different.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HooKars posted:

...well, that's probably because you are a woman.

/everyone knows that women are smarter than men.

//at least, that's what I think, having lived with my wife for 6 years now.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

HooKars posted:

Really? It's pretty standard to do the resume and transcript thing with laterals at least.

Writing samples and references (as well as the timing of asking for them) vary from place to place.

EDIT: And yeah, how did the interview go?

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

OptimistPrime posted:

This. I was a gunner douche that did well in the best law school in his market, was a law review editor, and then worked 1 year at the biggest firm in town before getting canned because my group lost the client responsible for 85% of my billable work. Now I'm an unemployable bum. And I'm probably not even the worst case of good grades + hard work = nothing in the thread.

Nonsense, you just didn't work hard enough. Much like Neo he is "The One". Woah.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

methamphetamine posted:

Or there are all those people who worked hard and got really good grades and still didn't get jobs.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

beergod posted:

Do you guys actually tell potential non-T 14 law students to just not bother going? I feel like it's my duty to do so (as a citizen of the world), but at the same time who am I to crush dreams? Maybe they'll be the special special snowflakes that gets a biglaw job out of Cooley.

In all seriousness (and this might surprise people given the amount of bitching I do on this thread), I tell the people who don't get into t14 schools that law school can be great if you really, really, really want to be a lawyer. If you are geuninely okay with going through 3 years of expensive, competitive schooling with a bunch of people who approach classmates like most people approach office politics to end up with a job making $40,000-50,000 a year, then do it. They obviously want to be attorneys and that will make all the crap you deal with a lot easier to bear.

If you're going to "give myself some options for the future" or because "I like to argue," or because you couldn't get a high paying first year job in finance, then it's not a good use of your money or time and you'll probably just be back at square one right after graduation or after you've burned out at the firm.

They then proceed to go to school anyway and complain about all the things I warned them about.

HooKars posted:

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but being law review at U.Va. probably has a lot to do with that.

Having some things on your resume will make it easier for employers to take other things for granted. My friend who was working at Simpson Thatcher until she burned out has never been asked for her transcript because she's from Harvard Law and worked for Simpson Thatcher in NYC. Given those two things, employers found it pretty safe to assume that she was not an idiot and that her grades were decent-to-good.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

beergod posted:

If it is a T1, and they're getting a lot of money to go AND want to be lawyers they can go for it.
Full ride? Better have gotten into YLS.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Mookie posted:

Really? It's pretty standard to do the resume and transcript thing with laterals at least.

EDIT: And yeah, how did the interview go?

It's probably a combo of having Law Review on the resume like TyChan said (which is awesome because I totally didn't grade on) and the fact that all my interviews have come from family friends forwarding my resume on to partners vs. just applying through their websites. But nope, nobody cares about my transcript. They have asked for writing samples though.

Hopefully went okay, I had two last week - one in St. Louis and one in Philly. The St. Louis one was super casual, just lunch with four partners. The Philly one was more formal - 3 hours long meeting with 6 different people. We'll see...

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

OptimistPrime posted:

Just think of yourself as the hot chick that everyone is scared to approach. Try going clamando. You'll get a job.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Reason #5325 doctors are better than lawyers

Today I received the fee schedule for an expert orthopedist to testify at trial.

For an IME (reading records up to three redwelds, viewing film, 10 minute physical exam) - $2,000

For testimony:
IF A SET TIME IS KNOWN (i.e. deposition) - $1,500 per hour
IF NO SET TIME AND A HALF DAY IS BLOCKED OFF - $7,500
FULL DAY BLOCKED OFF FOR TRIAL - $15,000

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
A dude in some of my classes last semester often had friendly banter with the prosecutor and defence counsel teaching our homicide class - I googled his name and he's one of the top psychiatrists in the country and testifies on all the big murder and sex assault cases (esp. involving children or deviant sexual behaviour).

No idea what the gently caress he's thinking going to law school, since he was also in some totally non-crim classes.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

A dude in some of my classes last semester often had friendly banter with the prosecutor and defence counsel teaching our homicide class - I googled his name and he's one of the top psychiatrists in the country and testifies on all the big murder and sex assault cases (esp. involving children or deviant sexual behaviour).

No idea what the gently caress he's thinking going to law school, since he was also in some totally non-crim classes.
He probably just thinks it is interesting and might help him at some point (knowing the law can be good for expert witnesses, I worked ina firm that did that type of work once).
And unlike us peons, if he is a top expert witness he won't be wallowing in debt and unemployment.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

nm posted:

He probably just thinks it is interesting and might help him at some point (knowing the law can be good for expert witnesses, I worked ina firm that did that type of work once).
And unlike us peons, if he is a top expert witness he won't be wallowing in debt and unemployment.

That's what I figured initially, but he was in awful classes like Secured Transactions, which have literally nothing to do with his practice. Of course he could be doing his JD instead of just taking classes for fun/knowledge/LLM, but that seems like overkill.

Good for him though, he was a cool dude.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

but he was in awful classes like Secured Transactions, which have literally nothing to do with his practice.

He may be targeting a few subjects that are on the bar exam

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Today I received the fee schedule for an expert orthopedist to testify at trial.

For an IME (reading records up to three redwelds, viewing film, 10 minute physical exam) - $2,000

For testimony:

Keep in mind that's the "expert orthopedist" that is willing to do testimony work as a significant part of his practice.

The really balling Ortho's don't do trials, because they're booked up with surgeries and it's too small potato for them.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Pro-tip: Wait till Friday to serve people so you ruin their weekend.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Stunt Rock posted:

Pro-tip: Wait till Friday to serve people so you ruin their weekend.

And that's why the plug on the copier gets pulled at 3:00 on every Friday.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Zeitgueist posted:

Keep in mind that's the "expert orthopedist" that is willing to do testimony work as a significant part of his practice.

The really balling Ortho's don't do trials, because they're booked up with surgeries and it's too small potato for them.

Or they are part of a group practice and can have someone cover for them on those days.

Edit: \/\/\/\/ most of the ones I work for only provide testimony for the defense.

Roger_Mudd fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 13, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Another reason that doctors charge a lot for testimonial time is because if they get too well known for acting as witnesses in medical malpractice trials, their name becomes dirt and it becomes more difficult hard to make the professional connections necessary to maintain a growing, healthy practice if times get tough. Referrals can dry up. No one wants you to join their practices if you need a change of job scene. Etc.

The lesson is that if you're going to be a snitch, you better make sure it's worth it.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
Anybody ever read A Civil Action? There was a doctor in that book that charged $100/hour "sleep rate" for every night in the $500/night hotel he had to spend.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

methamphetamine posted:

I think largely because I went to a really crappy undergrad which gave me a chip on my shoulder about prestige

man you're really racking up the pleasant points here

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

J Miracle posted:

Anybody ever read A Civil Action? There was a doctor in that book that charged $100/hour "sleep rate" for every night in the $500/night hotel he had to spend.

ya we read that over break for civil procedure II to show us why knowing the rules can make you own and not knowing the rules can make you look like a petulant crybaby and how letting discovery and trial preparation costs spiral out of control especially when you are being paid contingency is a Really Bad Idea

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

hey petey i transferred to the university of minnesota. did i tell you that

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Zeitgueist posted:

Nah he's a doctor for the Saints and his practice is just fine, also I can't get him to do an IME until like November so I'm pretty sure he does this for just fun and a little spending money

(This is a PI case not malpractice, also IME means he's a defense witness)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Phil Moscowitz posted:

For testimony:

drat, that's actually not that bad. We were getting gypped down in Florida.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The Arsteia posted:

This isn't that impressive
I mean even I went there

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

The Arsteia posted:

If you need to know anything about UMN, um, some of my former profs are still there...

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
In recent months I've been cultivating a relationship with the legal department of a local government agency, and today I found out there's likely going to be an opening soon. Even though I haven't sent in a resume I'm apparently one of their top candidates. Dare I dream of a day that isn't divided into tenth of an hour increments? :ohdear:

On a side note, today I casually mentioned to my girlfriend that we had an opening at work for a legal secretary and now I think she wants to apply. Having your girlfriend/wife as your secretary - bad idea or merely horrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

loving the secretary isn't as much fun in that situation.