Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

GamingHyena posted:

In recent months I've been cultivating a relationship with the legal department of a local government agency, and today I found out there's likely going to be an opening soon. Even though I haven't sent in a resume I'm apparently one of their top candidates. Dare I dream of a day that isn't divided into tenth of an hour increments? :ohdear:

On a side note, today I casually mentioned to my girlfriend that we had an opening at work for a legal secretary and now I think she wants to apply. Having your girlfriend/wife as your secretary - bad idea or merely horrible?

The worst idea ever. There are literally too many reasons why it is a bad idea for me to set forth the whole list. Start here - what happens when someone is mean to her? What do you do? Do you stick up for her at risk of your own job? Do you let her take the heat? How do you answer for that when you get home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

More importantly: what happens when you need her to do something before she goes home but you don't need to stay behind or other such fun situations where your secretary hates you?

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

nm posted:

This isn't that impressive
I mean even I went there

i'm not bragging or anything duder I'm just telling him

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
don't hire your girlfriend you noob

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
you'll break up and then what the gently caress will you do

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

you'll break up and then what the gently caress will you do

not her anymore, I'd bet

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
Why do law school admissions just look at GPA and LSAT instead of looking at applicants holistically like colleges do? There doesn't seem to be any particularly good reason for this particular disparity between undergrad and law school.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

Why do law school admissions just look at GPA and LSAT instead of looking at applicants holistically like colleges do? There doesn't seem to be any particularly good reason for this particular disparity between undergrad and law school.

US News rankings.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

semicolonsrock posted:

It's completely holistic. Are you black? See, holistic.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

semicolonsrock posted:

If you go to law school no one will ever care about the crap that makes you an interesting and well-rounded person again.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

semicolonsrock posted:

J Miracle posted:

If you go to law school no one will ever care about the crap that makes you an interesting and well-rounded person again.

J Miracle hit this on the head.

No one wants a lawyer who is interesting and well-rounded outside of a courtroom because interesting and well-rounded people are not going to be happy living at the complete beck and call of other people so those other people can live more interesting, well-rounded, and financially rewarding lives.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

The Arsteia posted:

i'm not bragging or anything duder I'm just telling him

Good work! Now - you must find Randbrick...

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

semicolonsrock posted:

What makes you think that colleges actually look at applicants holistically?

-e- also, I know it's not a widespread trend, but American takes military service into account with significant weight. I'm far from the only vet that got in with a sub 3.0 GPA and only average (160's) LSATs. I can think of at least 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

Business
Feb 6, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

reproduction of hierarchy bitchezzz :clint:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Law firms I've interviewed few actually were interested in my non-law school stuff. They DID prefer, quite clearly, people who had a lot of law related co-curriculars (competitions e.g. client interviews, mooting being the main route for commercial law firms since they didn't really care about volunteer work, or so I've been told), but still asked me about my fight sport activiites, my activities with the Petroleum Club at my university, and the like. Though the last may be a little misleading since my state is possibly the biggest natural resources location on the entire planet.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
So everything interesting you've done in your life becomes icebreaker fodder for an interview, I guess.

Tiax Rules All
Jul 22, 2007
You are but the grease for the wheels of his rule.
I would like to thank this thread for singlehandedly keeping me from applying to law school with a gpa of 3.03. I can only imagine the pain, heartache, and money that this thread has saved me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The gist I got from the OP and some other sources is that the shrinking legal market is not only an effect of the recession but a long-term trend which can be expected to continue. Why? What are the factors which are reducing the need for professional highly-educated lawyers? Arbitration and mediation? Cheap legal clinics? Increased ability for people to find (good) legal information themselves? The US justice system moving away from involved and expensive jury trials? Other stuff?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Halloween Jack posted:

The gist I got from the OP and some other sources is that the shrinking legal market is not only an effect of the recession but a long-term trend which can be expected to continue. Why? What are the factors which are reducing the need for professional highly-educated lawyers? Arbitration and mediation? Cheap legal clinics? Increased ability for people to find (good) legal information themselves? The US justice system moving away from involved and expensive jury trials? Other stuff?

In a post-economic downturn world clients are less willing to pay exorbitant amounts for billable hours, so gone are the days when a legion of lawyers would be in a basement billing $1000/hour for document review. They send that poo poo off to India now.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

The growth of new Law Schools has no real barrier to entry. Thus demand is slightly trailing the rest of the economy while the labor pool is rapidly expanding. Meanwhile law schools are using funny math to trick prospective students to attend and tuition rates keep raising.

No Jobs, Lots of unemployed lawyers, high debt, dying alone.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Lawyers have kind of contaminated the ADR (arbitration and mediation) processes, so that's more like gravy for lawyers on top of the basic vehicle of litigation. That's actually a big topic of discussion in the ADR field right now because lawyers are slowly making dispute resolution avenues meant to be unlike court into settings that often move like a court.

A big part of what is shrinking the need for attorneys is the increasing ability of firms to outsource work and the firms' growing realization that clients could not give a rat's rear end about who actually does various kinds of low level work as long as the final result is good.

In the past, firms needed to hire a good number of young lawyers to do work that was fairly brain dead, but still required legal training (like document review or super basic research). Physical size and technological limitations prevented firms from retaining research products for that long or getting others outside of the office to do it, so it made more sense to have it all in-house and hire new attorneys to flesh out the work force. Now, though, computers have provided ways of farming out that work so the firms can either store it for longer, get information from outside vendors (although this isn't that prominent yet), or otherwise farm out work and pass the savings on to the client. That cuts back on the demand for new associates and the availability of "real" legal jobs.

Also, companies have been using the recession and the scarcity of legal work to force cost-cutting measures on firms that they've wanted to impose for a really long time. That includes having greater oversight over what gets billed, being able to visit offices and conduct audits (at least for insurers), and forcing lawyers to submit budget proposals and compete for gigs like normal contractors. Economically inefficient relationships where one company would always go to one firm for work are dying out.

The presence of more and more prepaid forms which allow individuals to do their own low-level legal work has also played its part, but people have been forming their own corporations and doing their own simple wills for years now. I guess the internet has made that option more well-known, but I don't know how much of a factor that has actually had.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Halloween Jack posted:

It think that the above-mentioned factors are all valid, but I think there is a systemic change going on that affects all businesses, even lawyers. The change is this - information is suddenly cheap and easy to find.

In years past, there were people who made their whole careers out of being the keepers of arcane information. They added no value, other than to know where certain information was. For an example, my high-school educated neighbor spent 20 years in a company as a "packaging buyer." From what I can surmise, his job entailed being paid $60,000 per year to sit at a desk and wait for his company to run low on packaging, at which point he would contact the three companies in China who made this kind of packaging, and order it from whomever made it the cheapest. The other 38 hours per week he did crossword puzzles.

For the first 10 years of his career in this field, it made sense for the company to pay him $60,000 to line up their packaging, because who knew what guy at Guanging Packaging Inc. spoke enough English to process their order?

Over the last few years, however, modern communications has made it possible to compress the whole world. Now a company can just get put a bid out on alibaba.com and get Pacific Rim companies tripping over themselves to make packaging.

So my neighbor's information monopoly got torpedoed. And so did he, when the recession hit.

The same pattern is playing out in law. Lawyers are the ultimate information brokers. The law used to be a gigantic mystery, and the common people would pay dearly for a guide. Now, scads of information is at one's fingertips, all of the time. It gets harder to see the value of a lawyer, and many lawyer information monopolies have blown up.

So the practice of law changes and contracts, and the young ones and the old ones get hit the worst.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Another thing to think about, although this is more of a 2-5 year forecast (at most) than anything else, is that legal work for the big and medium sized firms in the US is fuelled by having steady transactional clients who would inevitably get into trouble and need your firm's litigation group or subgroups to step in. This is a self-feeding model that depends on having large amounts of not-so-routine contractual work. Since the US has not had a terribly great manufacturing sector for... decades, this meant that law firms were feeding off of new financial activity like IPOs or other securitization and credit work.

With the consolidation of many of the large investment banks and the tight limits on credit, all this activity has either stopped or slowed down incredibly, which left firms with a lot of excess capacity that they had to get rid of to maintain partner profit expectations. As you can see from reading the business section of a newspaper at any given day right now, this financial activity has not picked up and shows no signs of really picking up anytime soon. Some people think that these times may never come back although I think that's a bit overblown.

Keep in mind that Mookie, as a well-versed big firm guy, might be able to come in and point out why this is all crap, but this is the sense I've been getting from looking at how everything in NYC is going down.

Solomon Grundy posted:

The same pattern is playing out in law. Lawyers are the ultimate information brokers. The law used to be a gigantic mystery, and the common people would pay dearly for a guide. Now, scads of information is at one's fingertips, all of the time. It gets harder to see the value of a lawyer, and many lawyer information monopolies have blown up.

So the practice of law changes and contracts, and the young ones and the old ones get hit the worst.

Well, at the same time, laws affecting how large segments of the economy work are getting more and more complex, so it's still not something that just anybody can go in and figure out for themselves without taking some real risks.

That doesn't mean that law will generate enough jobs to hire all the people languishing in law schools right now, mind you.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 14, 2010

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

evilweasel posted:

US News rankings.

But why would the T14, for example, care, if they're so firmly entrenched at the top? Does USN & WR really weight GPA that heavily?

It just doesn't seem like they're getting the people who will make the best lawyers.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Solomon Grundy posted:

It think that the above-mentioned factors are all valid, but I think there is a systemic change going on that affects all businesses, even lawyers. The change is this - information is suddenly cheap and easy to find.
I can see how this applies to lawyers, but people have been saying that the same thing applies to librarians, and the result has been a lot of people who can access vast amounts of information "noise" they can't process or use.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

semicolonsrock posted:

But why would the T14, for example, care, if they're so firmly entrenched at the top? Does USN & WR really weight GPA that heavily?

It just doesn't seem like they're getting the people who will make the best lawyers.

Yes. GPA counts for 10%, and the LSAT counts for 12.5%. This is why the LSAT is weighted slightly higher in admissions decissions.

See http://www.leiterrankings.com/usnews/guide.shtml for a complete breakdown.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

semicolonsrock posted:

But why would the T14, for example, care, if they're so firmly entrenched at the top?

Because if you're Columbia being better than NYU is important: one school is the best in New York, and one is not. Same with Northwestern and UChicago: the T14 may be the T14, but they don't always keep their perticular rank in it.

third place
Apr 14, 2004

OMG COMPETITION SUCKS AM I RITE?

third place fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 2, 2010

third place
Apr 14, 2004

OMG COMPETITION SUCKS AM I RITE?

third place fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 2, 2010

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

poo poo

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn
The legal economy is strong and rubust... for some. Many lawyers and law students just do not understand how to be successful. There are many rich and lead rewarding lives and some that even make good money while working few hours. It is all about playing the system and having the knowledge and ability to be successful. Most people do not have these abilities.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Drunken Scourge posted:

btw is there some sort of funny or ironic name for schools that make the top 20 but not T14?

TTT

Business
Feb 6, 2007

semicolonsrock posted:

It seems like there's a certain value to a lawyer who can just keep his/her head down and gun like no other. Also, fantastic numbers and a 'Prestigious' resume/application are not mutually exclusive things at all, except for maybe something like business school, where the actual experience you've built up is more important.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

poofactory posted:

The legal economy is strong and rubust... for some. Many lawyers and law students just do not understand how to be successful. There are many rich and lead rewarding lives and some that even make good money while working few hours. It is all about playing the system and having the knowledge and ability to be successful. Most people do not have these abilities.

Please elaborate.

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Petey posted:

Good work! Now - you must find Randbrick...

In One Month I Will Meet Randbrick

The Arsteia
Nov 17, 2008

Drunken Scourge posted:

btw is there some sort of funny or ironic name for schools that make the top 20 but not T14?

FTT

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
there is only one tier, "Top 1". all other schools are TTTs. hth

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Drunken Scourge posted:

Home of the best unemployed lawyers.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Solomon Grundy posted:

Lawyers are the ultimate information brokers. The law used to be a gigantic mystery, and the common people would pay dearly for a guide. Now, scads of information is at one's fingertips, all of the time. It gets harder to see the value of a lawyer, and many lawyer information monopolies have blown up.

We have discussed this before here and I don't want to revisit the entirety of the discussion except to say that you are correct about information and, to some degree, systemic change.

Technology has also had an impact on the market. Because of advances in technology, firms staff deals more leanly and are able to distribute work among offices more easily. Before you needed six people to go to the printer and physically look at an OM. Now you need one associate who sends a PDF to the printer and reviews it when you get it back. Before if your group was too busy you had to hire more people. Now you can send some work to be done by associates in the Palo Alto office and it's almost as good as if the associates were working in your office. Before you gave changes to your assistant and they made the changes. Now you type them up and run the blackline yourself. Technological changes and increased comfort with technology are making work more efficient and, consequently, depressing associate demand. I don't think it's a huge effect, but it's definitely there.

Neurosis posted:

Law firms I've interviewed few actually were interested in my non-law school stuff. They DID prefer, quite clearly, people who had a lot of law related co-curriculars (competitions e.g. client interviews, mooting being the main route for commercial law firms since they didn't really care about volunteer work, or so I've been told), but still asked me about my fight sport activiites, my activities with the Petroleum Club at my university, and the like. Though the last may be a little misleading since my state is possibly the biggest natural resources location on the entire planet.

Yes, but consider that the minimum requirements to get those interviews were numbers based. Also, your state is the arctic?

J Miracle posted:

HAHA, JUST KIDDING LAW FIRMS REALLY CARE A LOT ABOUT YOU AND YOU ARE IMPORTANT AND SPECIAL.

It is better to work with a nice interesting person than someone who is a jerk but you're kidding yourself if you think that the ability to hunker down and bill isn't what really matters at the end of the day (you still have to be civil but nobody cares if you are president of your local botany club).

Business posted:

It seems like there's a certain value to a lawyer who can just keep his/her head down and gun like no other. Also, fantastic numbers and a 'Prestigious' resume/application are not mutually exclusive things at all, except for maybe something like business school, where the actual experience you've built up is more important.

Not sure why b-school is different. There is definitely value to keeping your head down and grinding out work. Lots and lots of value.

TyChan posted:

Another thing to think about, although this is more of a 2-5 year forecast (at most) than anything else, is that legal work for the big and medium sized firms in the US is fueled by having steady transactional clients who would inevitably get into trouble and need your firm's litigation group or subgroups to step in. This is a self-feeding model that depends on having large amounts of not-so-routine contractual work. Since the US has not had a terribly great manufacturing sector for... decades, this meant that law firms were feeding off of new financial activity like IPOs or other securitization and credit work.

With the consolidation of many of the large investment banks and the tight limits on credit, all this activity has either stopped or slowed down incredibly, which left firms with a lot of excess capacity that they had to get rid of to maintain partner profit expectations. As you can see from reading the business section of a newspaper at any given day right now, this financial activity has not picked up and shows no signs of really picking up anytime soon. Some people think that these times may never come back although I think that's a bit overblown.

Keep in mind that Mookie, as a well-versed big firm guy, might be able to come in and point out why this is all crap, but this is the sense I've been getting from looking at how everything in NYC is going down.

Things are definitely picking up in the legal market. Whether or not that extends to the rest of the economy is a different question entirely. I think it's uncommon for firms to represent clients in litigation where the firm also represented the firm in the transaction that leads to the litigation.

semicolonsrock posted:

You need to sit down and take a few minutes to seriously think about the market for lawyers and the market for law schools and how those two things are different.

Why should a school care who makes the best lawyers? If the current model doesn't provide schools with students who make the best lawyers then why are schools embracing the current model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Death to all law professors

quote:

I also disagree with Wurtzel’s view that government needs to adopt various policies to reduce the number of lawyers (which of course is the main real function of bar exams):

quote:

There are many better ways that the ABA could keep the numbers down in the profession: for instance, while there are only 130 accredited medical schools, there are nearly 250 law schools that have been approved by either the ABA or a state equivalent..... And there are many more students in a law school than a medical school, given the lack of need for cadavers and the like: for instance, the entering class at Harvard Medical School has 165 slots, whereas the 1L class at Harvard Law School contains 550 people. Plainly, the population of legal academia is excessive.

I see no reason why the number of medical schools should have any bearing on the number of law schools, especially since the former is also artificially restricted by regulation. These are two different professions that face different market conditions. More importantly, I think that the high salaries of lawyers combined with the high cost of even very basic legal services show that we have too few lawyers rather than too many, and that the best way to determine the “right” number of lawyers is through market competition, not government mandate. To that end, I would abolish ABA accreditation of law schools as well as the bar exam.

Best reply yet:

quote:

High salaries of lawyers? Are you kidding? The giant law firms that pay the high salaries (actually partnership profits, for the most part, not salaries) don’t offer “very basic legal services” and the lawyers who offer “very basic legal services” don’t make high salaries.
Will you next be arguing that the high salaries of actors show that there are too few of them?

Also a good reply:

quote:

Law school was a complete waste of time and money, and it did very little to prepare me for the actual practice of law. I learned more about the practice of law in the two months that I spent studying for the bar exam than I did in three years of law school. So I propose this: replace law school with an apprenticeship/residency program and make the bar exam tougher w/ an open research and writing component to weed out more potentially-incompetent lawyers.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 14, 2010