Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BajaBurrito posted:

Since you already import from Amazon UK, you might already know this, but one thing to keep in mind is that placing a massive single order increases the likelihood that you'll have to pay customs. At least for me, small orders of no more than five or six discs get shipped by Royal Mail or Deutsche Post DHL in baggy envelopes or slim cardboard packets and the US postal service just jams them in my mailbox. Bigger packages get sent by UPS in full-size boxes and dropped off on my doorstep...along with a bill for customs fees mailed to me afterwards.

Good call, totally ignored that fact. Thanks for all the suggestions too guys.

Sony has a poll up for which Harryhausen title they'll release next on Blu-Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Were we aware that Tommy is coming out? They talk about it on that page

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
That's cool and I'll get it, but I really want Quadrophenia.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't forget that Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale begins tomorrow. If you're buying 3 or more titles it pays to have a membership.

Also the next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are coming out October 19. Fuuuuck that's going to be an expensive month.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Don't forget that Barnes & Noble's Criterion sale begins tomorrow. If you're buying 3 or more titles it pays to have a membership.

How much does it pay? Because I'm buying around 20. Membership is $25 right?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Is membership required to get the sale prices?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Criminal Minded posted:

How much does it pay? Because I'm buying around 20. Membership is $25 right?

Yep. With a membership each title is $13 after your member discount and coupon as opposed to $20. You'll save a pretty penny if you're getting that many.

Mustach posted:

Is membership required to get the sale prices?

Nope, just to save extra money.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 12, 2010

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

Yep. With a membership each title is $13 after your member discount and coupon as opposed to $20. You'll save a pretty penny if you're getting that many.

Nope, just to save extra money.

Ah - is that the $5 coupon thing? I've read a bunch about that, and it seems some people were getting turned away when trying to use one coupon per item. Even so the membership is still worth it at 20 titles, saving $2 per saves me $15 after the price of membership. If I can get them down to $13 I'll love that. Do the coupons work online?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can only use it once online, but you can use them infinitely in-store depending on your cashier. It's just a matter of not getting too greedy. The last two times this sale rolled around, I didn't have any trouble picking up 2 titles at a time (using the coupon twice per visit). Other people have had success using it 10+ times per visit if they find a cashier who just doesn't give a drat, but I don't like pushing my luck. The sale is going on for two weeks, so as long as you're patient and have time to visit your store frequently, you should be able to get everything you want and save a bunch of money.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

doctor thodt posted:

You can only use it once online, but you can use them infinitely in-store depending on your cashier. It's just a matter of not getting too greedy. The last two times this sale rolled around, I didn't have any trouble picking up 2 titles at a time (using the coupon twice per visit). Other people have had success using it 10+ times per visit if they find a cashier who just doesn't give a drat, but I don't like pushing my luck. The sale is going on for two weeks, so as long as you're patient and have time to visit your store frequently, you should be able to get everything you want and save a bunch of money.

Sweet. I'll just have to make sure all the titles I want are at a store nearby and pickup whatever remains online. Thanks.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.

Criminal Minded posted:

Sweet. I'll just have to make sure all the titles I want are at a store nearby and pickup whatever remains online. Thanks.

That, or your store can special order stuff for you. Typically takes about 3 days for titles to arrive at the store. That way you can still get the coupon savings. On Friday I had my store order all the titles I want that they didn't already have, and they just got them all in today. Just renewed my membership and will be picking up 8 Blu-Rays and about a dozen DVD's in all :dance:

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002
I just signed up for the B&N membership since I'm looking at about 5-6 discs (depending if you count Yojimbo/Sanjuro as one or two) and I saw that they're supposed to give me $50 in coupons. Are they sending them via snail mail or should they show up in my inbox eventually? Does anyone know what the coupons are? I assume one of them is this $5 off one mentioned above.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

Also the next 2 Harry Potter Ultimate Editions are coming out October 19. Fuuuuck that's going to be an expensive month.

I'm glad these don't have extended versions on them, makes them easier to skip. If the boxes weren't so loving huge, I might consider it.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
From what I'm reading, they may indeed contain the extended cuts. People are just assuming they won't because the specs listed over at Blu-Ray.com don't explicitly state that they will be included, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

SMP posted:

So what's the deal with Studio Ghibli movies? Why are none of them on Blu-Ray? I need Princess Mononoke in HD :negative:

Ghibli has a habit of releasing their catalog titles slowly- it took ages for all the DVDs to come out. Nausicaa is coming out this year in Japan with am all-new remastered transfer, and word on the grapevine is that it's absolutely gorgeous. We should expect it in the rest of the world soon. Tales from Earthsea is going to hit US theaters this year, so the Blu should come out imminently soon.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

How long is the B&N sale supposed to go on?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's going into the first week of August, so long enough to pick up all the July titles.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bambi posted:

From what I'm reading, they may indeed contain the extended cuts. People are just assuming they won't because the specs listed over at Blu-Ray.com don't explicitly state that they will be included, but that doesn't mean they won't be.

The running times in the press release are the same as the running times listed on IMDb, though. There's also no mention of extended cuts. Eh, we'll see. I probably won't buy them either way. Even if they are extended cuts, it'll most likely be just the deleted scenes spliced back into the movie.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
It appears the B&N sale is for Americans only. I'm in Canada and Criterion blus are showing up on the B&N website at $36 each.

Edit -- Oops, it appears some hoser in the Criterion thread jumped the gun and the sale hasn't actually started yet. Well, I hope it's not Americans only!

Starscream fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 12, 2010

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Sale is up now. How's the best way to use the coupons and membership to get them?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just picked up Speed Racer at Target for $10, even though the tag said $15. Looking forward to watching what I can only assume from reviews is a jaw dropping picture.

Edit: Holy gently caress.

A Bad Poster fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 13, 2010

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaboobi posted:

Sale is up now. How's the best way to use the coupons and membership to get them?

Bring this coupon to the store.

After the 50% off, your membership discount, and the coupon, a title that retails for $40 should come out to $13 + tax.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
American Beauty (Sapphire Series): 9/21

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

Bring this coupon to the store.

After the 50% off, your membership discount, and the coupon, a title that retails for $40 should come out to $13 + tax.

Am I reading that fine print correctly? You have to have started a membership between April 26 and June 26 to use that coupon?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Dub posted:

Am I reading that fine print correctly? You have to have started a membership between April 26 and June 26 to use that coupon?

I've had my membership for over 2 years now and they still take the coupons, And in a year of following these Criterion deals on various forums I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being turned down because their membership didn't meet the date requirement. Technically that's what it says, but nobody ever abides by it.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

doctor thodt posted:

I've had my membership for over 2 years now and they still take the coupons, And in a year of following these Criterion deals on various forums I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being turned down because their membership didn't meet the date requirement. Technically that's what it says, but nobody ever abides by it.

Awesome, I'll give it a shot then. I just instinctively look for the fine print on stuff like that.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
AI: Artificial Intelligence 10/5 (in Germany, but possibly good news for other territories too)

The year of Speilberg :woop:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
I was looking on the Barnes and Noble website and it's showing a buy 2 get 1 free sale going on now as well. Does that work with the half off Criterion sale?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DVDBeaver calls Late Spring a contender for Blu-Ray of the year.

doctor thodt fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 13, 2010

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

doctor thodt posted:

DVDBeaver calls Early Spring a contender for Blu-Ray of the year.

:viggo: Late Spring (which is also a much better movie than Early Spring)

It's apparently confirmed that Harry Potter 3 & 4 "ultimate editions" will not be extended cuts.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always get that mixed up :saddowns:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

This is the first Criterion sale since I got a blu-ray player. Just picked up Vivre sa Vie, For All Mankind, 400 Blows, Seventh Seal, Revanche, Red Desert, and M for about 100 bucks. I had to stop at two stores but only because the first only had two I wanted. Neither cashier had any problem taking multiple five dollar off coupons.

Funkyboss
Feb 24, 2002

Darth Dukakis posted:

This is the first Criterion sale since I got a blu-ray player. Just picked up Vivre sa Vie, For All Mankind, 400 Blows, Seventh Seal, Revanche, Red Desert, and M for about 100 bucks. I had to stop at two stores but only because the first only had two I wanted. Neither cashier had any problem taking multiple five dollar off coupons.

You're lucky - I just got back and wanted to get a bunch of discs but the lady would only take one coupon so I got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set. I've got The Man Who Fell To Earth waiting for me at another B&N but something tells me I'm going to be running all over town for a couple of days to get everything I want.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody grabbing Insomnia? It contains movie cash for Inception...wish I had waited to buy my tickets for that, but it'll undoubtedly be a movie that warrants repeat viewings anyway.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody grabbing Insomnia? It contains movie cash for Inception...wish I had waited to buy my tickets for that, but it'll undoubtedly be a movie that warrants repeat viewings anyway.

As it's the one Nolan movie that I do not own, nor seen, I pre-ordered it blind. Should be in the mail today.

Hope I dig it! And that reminds me, I need to upgrade my copy of Memento...is the blu worth it?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray/DVD details are up on Marvel.com

quote:

Disc 1 (Blu-ray):

* Feature film with optional commentary by Jon Favreau (HD)
* S.H.I.E.L.D. Data Vault (HD)- Extend your knowledge of the Marvel Cinematic Universe with high-level clearance into S.H.I.E.L.D.'s digital data vault. Interact with select scenes from the movie that include new layers of graphics and insider information. View case files, dossiers, S.H.I.E.L.D. training films, tech details and more.
* Previsualization and Animatics (HD)

Disc 2 (Blu-ray):
* Ultimate Iron Man: The Making of "Iron Man 2" (HD)
o Rebuilding the Suit-An all-encompassing look at the beginning stages of this mammoth blockbuster.
o A Return to Action-From Marvel Studios to the streets of Monaco, Jon Favreau takes viewers through the trials and triumphs of continuing Iron Man's story.
o Expanding the Universe-From the amazing sets of Stark Expo to Tony Stark's home and beyond, the Marvel Universe continues to unfold into new and exciting places.
o Building a Legacy-From filming to editing, scoring and visual effects, Favreau and his team face the challenges of bringing the sequel to the big screen.

* Featurettes (HD)
o Creating Stark Expo-A look at how the sets and computer-generated elements combine to create the massive set piece.
o Practical Meets Digital-How the "practical" props inform the "digital" work that ultimately brings our hero to life on screen.
o Illustrated Origin: Nick Fury-A comprehensive journey into creating one of the most mysterious and influential heroes in the Marvel Universe.
o Illustrated Origin: Black Widow-An exciting look at the new femme fatale introduced in "Iron Man 2."
o Illustrated Origin: War Machine-A look at the introduction of the character and how his friendship with Tony Stark resonates with fans.
o Working with DJ AM-Jon Favreau remembers working with Adam Goldstein.

* Deleted Scenes with optional commentary by Jon Favreau (HD)
o Alternate Opening
o Coulson at the Senate
o The Sub-Orbital Jet
o Tony's Workshop (extended)
o Natalie Wears the Gauntlet
o Flying Party Girl
o Mark II Security
o Element Rediscovered (extended)
* Concept Art Gallery
* Theatrical Trailers (HD)
* Music Video: AC/DC "Shoot To Thrill"

Disc 3 (DVD):
* Feature Film
* Digital Copy

That is a LOT of poo poo for a single Blu-Ray. I can't wait to hear the commentary. It was one of the only things I wish the original Blu-Ray had on it.
Can't wait to get it.
They also used the awesome Mark IV armor as the cover, which is great, because that was my wallpaper for a while and I love the image.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Funkyboss posted:

You're lucky - I just got back and wanted to get a bunch of discs but the lady would only take one coupon so I got the Yojimbo/Sanjuro set. I've got The Man Who Fell To Earth waiting for me at another B&N but something tells me I'm going to be running all over town for a couple of days to get everything I want.

Yeah, I only got them to take one $5 off but I added in a $5 off $50 so I wouldn't be walking home with only one thing. Picked up The Leopard, Repulsion and Days of Heaven for $52. Gonna try some of the other locations/go back at other times to try and get two or three $5 off at a time.

Volcasarus ReX
Apr 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray/DVD details are up on Marvel.com

That is a LOT of poo poo for a single Blu-Ray. I can't wait to hear the commentary. It was one of the only things I wish the original Blu-Ray had on it.
Can't wait to get it.
They also used the awesome Mark IV armor as the cover, which is great, because that was my wallpaper for a while and I love the image.

All of the stuff on the disk sounds great but I kinda hope they go the Dark Knight route and have a awesome collectors edition with special casing. I don't recall them doing that for the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Duodenum
Dec 27, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

It's apparently confirmed that Harry Potter 3 & 4 "ultimate editions" will not be extended cuts.

Ugh. Those movies could really benefit from extended cuts, too. (All but the first 2 could stand to be longer in my opinion.) Frankly, I don't see the value in these re-releases if the cuts are the same.

• Locked thread