Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

lancemantis posted:

I really need new riding pants but nobody around here seems to carry anything anymore (the one place that did, where I bought my old pants, is closed down now :( ). I'm kind of scared to play the fitting game online :ohdear:

Places like motorcyclesuperstore and newenough have very generous return policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

PlasticSun posted:

Places like motorcyclesuperstore and newenough have very generous return policies.
Yep, Newenough will pay for return shipping if you've already placed another order for another size/product. :love:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

lancemantis posted:

I really need new riding pants but nobody around here seems to carry anything anymore (the one place that did, where I bought my old pants, is closed down now :( ). I'm kind of scared to play the fitting game online :ohdear:

New Enough will take care of you. I've sent stuff back to them with free shipping. It's relatively painless.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Double retard post.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Did some shopping :) Was reading review for hours trying to find some quality stuff.

Icon Field Armor Knee/Shin Guards $65
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/635/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. I usually wear jeans. I get a bit scared watching how vulnerable my knee is to the asphalt when I'm dropping it. Too exposed for me. Yeah, I know, I should get riding pants but I got these to wear over/under my jeans when I'm putting around in jeans or maybe even shorts. Good reviews.

Powertye Adjustable Rack Net
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/202/4290/ITEM/Powertye-Adjustable-Rack-Net.aspx

Hopefully I can somehow rig poo poo to my sissy handles.

Nelson-Rigg Deluxe All Season Cover
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/63/1425/ITEM/Nelson-Rigg-Deluxe-All-Season-Cover.aspx

Was this all the dowco weather all plus cover. This one has just as good as reviews, is half the price, and seems a lot more compact. Which is good since I'm mostly protecting it from moisture and sun and not intense weather. I got the XL hoping it's not too big for my 07 690 SM

Cortech by Tour Master Injector Gloves

http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/injector_motorcycle_gloves.html?s=a

Great deal on nice gloves

Grunge brush

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/205/26792/ITEM/Simple-Solutions-Grunge-Brush.aspx

Seems to be the one and only for scrubbin' the chain.

However no one seems to bother with carrying motorex 10w-60 cross power oil. Even the drat KTM dealer had 1 left and the dude said he stopped ordering them. Called 3 other places and finally found a KTM dealer that had it in stock. None of the big online stores have it, either.

This bike is getting expensive but now all I need is some proper riding boots, a spine protector, and maybe one of those enduro/dual sport helmets in the future.

There's way too many options for boots. From quality to crap and cheap to expensive. Looking for something for longer commutes, trail riding, and zipping around town. Might do some walking in them here and there. A super moto specific boot might be nice but who knows if it's needed. It seems most sumo riders just wear mx bots.

Couple options. Open to all recommendations.

http://www.motostrano.com/alsubote7sm.html

Real expensive

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/17129/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-5-Boots.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/78/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-Plus-Vented-Racing-Boots.aspx

http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/racing_boots/alpinestars/s_mx_r_motorcycle_boots.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 14, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Crazy blowout on shark helmets:
http://www.sumofallparts.net/SearchResults.asp?searching=Y&sort=13&brand=Shark&search=shark&show=200&page=1&cat=117

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Those are fantastic prices on some seriously awesome helmets.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Christoff posted:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/635/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx

Yeah, I'm not going to lie. I usually wear jeans. I get a bit scared watching how vulnerable my knee is to the asphalt when I'm dropping it. Too exposed for me. Yeah, I know, I should get riding pants but I got these to wear over/under my jeans when I'm putting around in jeans or maybe even shorts. Good reviews.

my girlfriend has these after a few months some of the velcro started failing. It just took a quick trip to a tailor for new velcro and $9 to fix though

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

Perfect! I've been shopping for a new helmet, and the RSF3 has been at the top of my list. This is cheaper than the kneedraggers blowout by about 30 bucks, so I'm sold!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looking at this for sumo riding

http://www.sumofallparts.net/Shark-S650-BLACK-Fusion-MD-S650-BLACK-Medium-p/tr74-7003.htm

So it doesn't have a shield like the really expensive dual sport helmets or whatever. Do I just get goggles, or what? I don't suppose it'd do too well on highways and such. Is it strictly an off-road helmet? Right now I have a shoei rf-1000 from my sport bike days.

Problem is sizing. I guess you can just get two and sell the other for the same price :buddy:

-edit Jesus those moto-x looking helmets with built in face shields are expensive

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 14, 2010

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
It's not strictly offroad or anything. It'll be fine on the street, Probably even better as it will flow more air at lower speeds but yeah its going suck at higher speeds. You will need some goggles, I have never used any but Oakley Crowbars used to get recommended a lot on SM boards, but I don't know if its changed recently.

'those moto-x looking helmets with built in face shields' AKA Dual Sport helmets in theory are for people who want to ride on the highway at 85 and then throw some goggles on ride around in the dirt, whilst not being great at either.

I'd stick to a road helmet full time on the road, and get an MX helmet if your spending the day offroad.

The 'SM uniform' is dumb, you don't need it unless your on a track.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Anybody who doesn't buy one of those $130 RSIs is literally an idiot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Anybody who doesn't buy one of those $130 RSIs is literally an idiot.
I don't know if it will fit me and the local shop that carries Shark seems to have a poor selection of sizes to try on. :(

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Christoff posted:

Did some shopping :) Was reading review for hours trying to find some quality stuff.

I have this armor and it is totally awesome. It fits under my dress pants and jeans without any issues. It so drat comfortable that I often forget I'm wearing it! Icon's arm/elbow armor, on the other hand, sucks donkey balls.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Has anyone tried the Shark RSF3? I think i'd rather have the RSI but all the designs they're clearing out aren't terribly appealing to me.

benwards
Apr 9, 2007

Another youthful indiscretion

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Has anyone tried the Shark RSF3? I think i'd rather have the RSI but all the designs they're clearing out aren't terribly appealing to me.

I've worn the RSF3 around the shop a bit, and it's very comfortable. I have kinda a long oval head shape. Build quality felt good, and interior lining was way more comfortable than the Scorpion helmets I was also there to try on. I did a bit of poking around online, and while the RSI seems like a step up, I didn't find much to recommend it as waaaay better than the RSF3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tsaven can now lust after an Iron Man leather suit to go with his Batman suit that he can't have.

[
Click here for the full 1244x912 image.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2010/07/attention-manchildren-you-can.html

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Hey dudes, I'm looking for some recommendations here. I just started a new job at a motorcycle company and thus am going to be riding motorcycles. My commute is super short, so I go by bicycle or car, and once I learn how to work one of these things, I intend to do all of my riding for pleasure and get to the track ASAP.

My conclusion is that I should get a real leather suit if I intend to go to the track. Am I going to be bummed learning how to ride in one of these? And as an extension of this, 1 or 2 pc?

I've been watching CL for cheap race used 1/2 pc race suits, but am also in need of everything else. Ideally inexpensive as my new job also doesn't pay as well as my old one (start up!). New boots/gloves would be good as used foot/handwear is gross. Saw these http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/injector_motorcycle_gloves.html in this thread and have them in my cart pending word they are suitable for the track. Track OK boots look to be pretty pricey -- $200 seems to be as little as I can find them for.

On helmets, am I dumb to use my OMP SA2000 auto racing helmet? The view port is quite a bit smaller than motorbike ones, but it doesn't block my peripheral. I suppose it wouldn't be technically street legal, but would it also be no good for track work? How far into lapping/racing do you need to get before you need a motorcycle Snell rated helmet? Should I just risk $120 and order one of those deeply discounted Shark helmets?

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Shark helmets at that price are a total steal. I'm pretty sure car/motorcycle helmets are designed for different kinds of impact and I really wouldn't trust a car helmet to use on a motorcycle.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Blooot posted:

Hey dudes, I'm looking for some recommendations here. I just started a new job at a motorcycle company and thus am going to be riding motorcycles. My commute is super short, so I go by bicycle or car, and once I learn how to work one of these things, I intend to do all of my riding for pleasure and get to the track ASAP.

My conclusion is that I should get a real leather suit if I intend to go to the track. Am I going to be bummed learning how to ride in one of these? And as an extension of this, 1 or 2 pc?

I've been watching CL for cheap race used 1/2 pc race suits, but am also in need of everything else. Ideally inexpensive as my new job also doesn't pay as well as my old one (start up!). New boots/gloves would be good as used foot/handwear is gross. Saw these http://www.newenough.com/street/closeouts/gloves/cortech_by_tour_master/injector_motorcycle_gloves.html in this thread and have them in my cart pending word they are suitable for the track. Track OK boots look to be pretty pricey -- $200 seems to be as little as I can find them for.

On helmets, am I dumb to use my OMP SA2000 auto racing helmet? The view port is quite a bit smaller than motorbike ones, but it doesn't block my peripheral. I suppose it wouldn't be technically street legal, but would it also be no good for track work? How far into lapping/racing do you need to get before you need a motorcycle Snell rated helmet? Should I just risk $120 and order one of those deeply discounted Shark helmets?

I haven't tracked a bike, but I like wearing my two-piece. It lets you take off the jacket when you get somewhere, or even if you're taking a short break from riding.

I'd buy a motorcycle helmet. They're designed to protect different things than a car helmet.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blooot posted:

As long as it fits properly, there's nothing wrong with wearing leathers whilst learning. For street riding, always go for a 2-pc suit. Being able to take your jacket off when you stop somewhere on a ride is always good, and you won't need to buy another leather jacket if you want to ride somewhere in jeans or textile over-pants.

Blooot posted:

On helmets, am I dumb to use my OMP SA2000 auto racing helmet? The view port is quite a bit smaller than motorbike ones, but it doesn't block my peripheral.

Probably best to get a motorbike helmet.

Blooot posted:

How far into lapping/racing do you need to get before you need a motorcycle Snell rated helmet?

The Snell standards are a big ol' bucket of worms, but motorbike helmets don't have rating tiers like car racing helmets.

Blooot posted:

Should I just risk $120 and order one of those deeply discounted Shark helmets?

Yes. (The Randy De Puniet ones look loving awesome in real life.)

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Blooot posted:

Hey dudes, I'm looking for some recommendations here. I just started a new job at a motorcycle company and thus am going to be riding motorcycles. Ideally inexpensive as my new job also doesn't pay as well as my old one (start up!).

Well traditionally when seeing these 4 words, I'd recommend ahhhh.... not buy anything.

(MissionMotors?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm kind of surprised they wouldn't buy you a helmet if riding is part of your job.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Think I'll go with a mx helmet for city driving and short commuting and my other one strictly for freeways.

So, recommendations on a good mx helmet/goggles for my sumo?

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Just how bad an idea would it be for a guy to wear this? I can't help thinking it's pretty sweet.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Legerdemain posted:

Just how bad an idea would it be for a guy to wear this? I can't help thinking it's pretty sweet.

I really like cutesy irony on motorized bikes, but that's just me. I would ride a candy pink bike in a second.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ShaneB posted:

I really like cutesy irony on motorized bikes, but that's just me. I would ride a candy pink bike in a second.

I think motorcycles in general are the only time a man can get away with wearing/riding ridiculously colored gear/bikes. I road my purple/fascia/pink 600 ninja with pride.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Blooot posted:

:words:

If you're going to be going to trackdays with any kind of regularity I would suggest a 1pc suit. They tend to be more form fitting and because of this offer better abrasion resistance because the leather isn't going to fold over on itself and burn through. A 2pc is a good compromise if you want good protection for the street and decent protection for the track.

GET A GOOD BACK PROTECTOR!!! I would definitely not skimp on this.

If you live in some kind of motorcycle mecca you might be able to find gear on CL but if you live in in a Midwestern wasteland like I do you'll have much better luck on racing/trackday specific forums like:

WERA
NESBA
or
Sportbike Track time

WERA's board has the most traffic of the three and there's good deals to be had there.

DEFINITELY get a motorcycle helmet. DO NOT wear a car helmet on a bike. They're designed completely different, you'll have poor visibility, and they're substantially heavier than a bike helmet. You can pick off great helmets by great manufacturers that might be a year or too old and don't have newest bestest graphics cheap as hell. The Shark helmets mentioned a few post up are a good example.

Regarding used gloves and boots -- I guess it just doesn't bother me :shobon:. I bought a used pair of A* GP Plus gloves that have served me well for a number of years, a "used" Dainese 2pc suit that looked brand spanking new, and boots that were "used" but still had the tags on them. Stuff like that pops up all the time.

Actually I have a pair of Sidi Vertigos I'm no longer using because apparently I have strange foot positioning and I've had them hang up on my rearsets on the track. I've since picked up a "used" pair of A* supertechs so the Sidi's are just sitting around collecting dust. They're size 44 Euro, which equates to ~10 US. I normally wear a 10 or 10.5 in regular shoes. Let me know if you're interested :). Hell, I still have those dainese leathers sitting around too...

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Thanks for the replies guys. Riding isn't strictly a part of my job (mech eng), but I want to be able to ride what I'm working on, and hopefully will be involved with the motorsports end of things, which I figure on bike/on track experience is a good idea. While they're not buying me a helmet they are paying for my MSF, which I will be taking as soon as I get some gear. We also have a couple shop bikes that are free to use occasionally (one of them a Ducati 748 -- a good learners bike, right?)

I'm 5'9"/150lbs with sz 7.5 feet M gloves if anyone wants to sell me used gear. I'm in San Francisco, so lots of gear is available, so I'm going to keep watching CL and keep an eye on the stock level of those Shark helmets while shopping locally and make a decision.

Good guess Dubs -- don't count us out! :)

Blooot fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 15, 2010

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The only other thing I'd add is that while the 1 piece is better for comfort while actually riding, the 2 piece is a lot more practical. Plus the one piece takes awhile to get in and out of. If you're going to be doing a lot of city riding, a decent alternative is a leather jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and some heavy jeans with knee protectors under them. The jeans won't do anything but the knee protectors will save you from any trauma to your knees.

If you can, it'd be awesome if you'd start a thread about the things that you're working on. I know that the e-bike industry is keeping things generally under wraps, but I'd love to see anything that you could share :)

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Z3n posted:

The only other thing I'd add is that while the 1 piece is better for comfort while actually riding, the 2 piece is a lot more practical. Plus the one piece takes awhile to get in and out of. If you're going to be doing a lot of city riding, a decent alternative is a leather jacket, gloves, helmet, boots, and some heavy jeans with knee protectors under them. The jeans won't do anything but the knee protectors will save you from any trauma to your knees.

If you can, it'd be awesome if you'd start a thread about the things that you're working on. I know that the e-bike industry is keeping things generally under wraps, but I'd love to see anything that you could share :)

I don't plan on doing much city riding aside from getting out of it, but that may change. To be honest, the idea of riding on the streets scares me. 2 pc seems to make the most sense overall, but I won't pass up a great deal on a 1 pc.

Sorry to say I can't really share anything I'm working on. I am happy to comment on stuff after its existence is acknowledged through our official channels, and will give a heads up when things of interest are released.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blooot posted:

I don't plan on doing much city riding aside from getting out of it, but that may change. To be honest, the idea of riding on the streets scares me. 2 pc seems to make the most sense overall, but I won't pass up a great deal on a 1 pc.

Sorry to say I can't really share anything I'm working on. I am happy to comment on stuff after its existence is acknowledged through our official channels, and will give a heads up when things of interest are released.

Sounds like you've got things under wraps then :) Any questions, obviously, don't hesitate to ask.

Post up when new things are released, it's going to be interesting to see the development of the ebikes over the next few years...

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Just got a blue RSI, hopefully XL fits or else I'm screwed. Thanks for the heads up.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
Non-biker question: How good is the best available protective gear? Can it protect you if you are hit by a car? Can it make riding a motorcycle at least as safe as driving for example a mini-cooper?

Maybe this kind of tech is the future? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Mercrom posted:

Non-biker question: How good is the best available protective gear? Can it protect you if you are hit by a car? Can it make riding a motorcycle at least as safe as driving for example a mini-cooper?

Maybe this kind of tech is the future? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

The best gear available, when correctly fitted, will protect you from abrasion basically 100% of the time.

You can never really make a motorcycle as safe as driving a car if you're talking in pure terms of accident to accident. The advantage that a motorcycle has is almost entirely in it's superior acceleration and small profile, you have escape routes that are not available to car drivers.

The airbag stuff will help avoid broken bones, as will good armor, but in the end, you simply can't overcome physics to some degree, if you go headfirst into a car bumper at 50mph, not much is going to save you from breaking your neck and having your brain splatter as your head goes from 50mph to 0mph in a foot.

Being safe on a motorcycle is far more about how aware you are, and how good you are at predicting and avoiding bad situations that could escalate into potential accidents. The gear is there to save your rear end if everything goes wrong, but motorcycles aren't like cars where you rely on the vehicle's safety equipment, you have to rely on your own skills to get home safely.

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

Z3n posted:

Being safe on a motorcycle is far more about how aware you are, and how good you are at predicting and avoiding bad situations that could escalate into potential accidents. The gear is there to save your rear end if everything goes wrong, but motorcycles aren't like cars where you rely on the vehicle's safety equipment, you have to rely on your own skills to get home safely.

:golfclap:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If, over time, you break your bones and get them reinforced with titanium soon you will be indestructible.

Z3n posted:

This is exactly why I always keep my front tire in the air when I ride my bikes. That way if something goes wrong I've got an entire wheel in reserve.

When in doubt, wheelie out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, that post got a better reaction than I expected.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I posted about a month ago to say I'd bought a pair of Sidi Fusions and was very happy with them. 30 days and 4400 miles later I'm back to report on them as promised (I'll post a full trip report separately).

Overall they did what I needed them to do. I wore them eight to ten hours a day in perfect comfort -- at least as long as I was on the bike. I intentionally bought them a little small because I was between the Euro sizes, and my pinky toes definitely rubbed uncomfortably when I had to walk around for any length of time. Fortunately that wasn't often and I only got little hotspots, not full-blown blisters, but I wouldn't want to wear these to work. The upper parts loosened up a bit so I was able to Velcro them more tightly around my shins, which was a concern I had initially. I didn't go down so I can't say anything about crash-worthiness, but they certainly made me feel safer.

They did fail in the durability department, and I emailed Sidi customer service to say as much. No response yet. The leather (or fake leather, not sure) on both boots started to crack where my toes flex. The cracks are deeper than they look here, when I bend them they go almost through the material.

There's also a tear on the inside left ankle right at the ankle bone, and I can't think what incident might have caused that. Just on the footpeg, maybe?

I'm not impressed with how these held up. I'm not sure whether to keep them, ask for a replacement, or ask for a refund.

Oh, and they're definitely NOT waterproof, but I knew that going in. Spent a couple of days riding around with puddles in my boots and several more with damp ones as they dried out.

Also disappointingly the two snaps on my Olympia Airglide overpants failed (:btroll:), one on the first day of the trip and the other on the last. Both tore the snapping part from it's housing in the pants flap, something I haven't ever seen a snap do. I guess I was just ripping my pants off too aggressively for all those ladies we met.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Well, that post got a better reaction than I expected.

You've refined your argument nicely, people no longer think you're claiming motorcycles are as safe as cars.

Holy crap am I glad I was lazy and haven't bought a replacement helmet yet. How does Shark sizing compare to others? Shoei in particular?

And that website should really be Sumo Fall Parts.com and specialize in stuff for repairing supermotos.

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 16, 2010