Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I went to pick up some parts for my bike an hour and half ride away, including crashbars. When I arrived I was too busy parking in a crappy spot, had a brain fart and forgot to put down the sidestand.

Welcome to Irony, population: me.

Just a mild rash on the plastics, a tiny scruff on the engine casing and front-end suspension slightly maladjusted. The rash complements the tear in the plastic pretty well, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

As there doesn't seem to be a separate thread for stupid spills, I suppose this belongs here.

Last Monday I picked up my new bike. Specifically, a brand spanking new BMW R1200GS Adventure. This is my second one, so I was already used to the weight and seat height and all that jazz. The paperwork signed, I rode off into the sunset minus my panniers (BMW are giving them away free at the moment) because they were on back-order.

On Thursday I got a call from the dealership to tell me that my panniers were now in stock, so I rode back out there to pick them up. Did the panniers throw me off balance causing me to crash soon after fitting them? Did they buggery. I dropped the bike on its side doing a u-turn in the dealership car park before I'd even picked the damned things up.

The bike was four days old and had done about 120 miles. My previous record was getting rear-ended my one of my neighbours on my last GSA after two weeks and about 350 miles.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Sarthek posted:

As there doesn't seem to be a separate thread for stupid spills, I suppose this belongs here.

Last Monday I picked up my new bike. Specifically, a brand spanking new BMW R1200GS Adventure. This is my second one, so I was already used to the weight and seat height and all that jazz. The paperwork signed, I rode off into the sunset minus my panniers (BMW are giving them away free at the moment) because they were on back-order.

On Thursday I got a call from the dealership to tell me that my panniers were now in stock, so I rode back out there to pick them up. Did the panniers throw me off balance causing me to crash soon after fitting them? Did they buggery. I dropped the bike on its side doing a u-turn in the dealership car park before I'd even picked the damned things up.

The bike was four days old and had done about 120 miles. My previous record was getting rear-ended my one of my neighbours on my last GSA after two weeks and about 350 miles.

That sucks, man. Did it do much damage?

Sarthek
Dec 30, 2002

Nah, the GS comes covered in crash bars. The only real weak spot from that point of view is the final drive, which has a small scrape on it now. I'd buy a crash bung for it, but I'd say we're somewhat past that stage at this point...

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Sarthek posted:

I'd buy a crash bung for it, but I'd say we're somewhat past that stage at this point...

Can't hurt to do it anyway, its not like it won't be taking naps here and there (unless you have no intention of using the GS for its intended purpose)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
It's rainy today.

I'm coming to a stop in a headlight, pull the front brake slowly, the front gently dives, everything is good, everything is alr... What? Why is the pavement so close to my face? left thigh to the ground, the bike slides to the side and I stop 1 meter before the bumper of a taxi.

Why? Was it only a matter of too much brake ? Could be, it wasn't the most light braking ever... But them one of the passerby that helped me get the bike up point back and says "you hit some oil" and there it was, a small oil patch just where i hit the ground.

Bike has a bent handlebar and shift foot lever (a little strenght will put both in place) and a completely destroyed back blinker. I got a very very small roadrash on the knee, even thought neither the rain pants or my normal pants have any holes :iiam: and a little scrap on the helmet the size of my pinky nail, and my leg hurts :(

Anyways, got it back up, twister the shift lever back in place, it started in the first turn and I rode home. Love sumos S2

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

Primo Itch posted:

Why? Was it only a matter of too much brake ? Could be, it wasn't the most light braking ever... But them one of the passerby that helped me get the bike up point back and says "you hit some oil" and there it was, a small oil patch just where i hit the ground.

you probably had your front tire turned at least slightly. I remember nearly dropping the bike once or twice during MSF when I didn't straighten it perfectly. Oil should have just kept you sliding, not thrown you to the ground.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ohwandernearer posted:

you probably had your front tire turned at least slightly. I remember nearly dropping the bike once or twice during MSF when I didn't straighten it perfectly. Oil should have just kept you sliding, not thrown you to the ground.

I've locked the front wheel on a few ocasions at low speed and with a straight tire and yeah, i managed to keep it up... But have you ever hit something slick under the front tire that totally kills the grip ? Maybe it's just my experience, but there's no such thing as keeping sliding straight forward, you're on the floor before you even notice. That's why i think the oil patch might have had something to do with it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Primo Itch posted:

It's rainy today.

I'm coming to a stop in a headlight, pull the front brake slowly, the front gently dives, everything is good, everything is alr... What? Why is the pavement so close to my face? left thigh to the ground, the bike slides to the side and I stop 1 meter before the bumper of a taxi.

Bike has a bent handlebar and shift foot lever (a little strenght will put both in place) and a completely destroyed back blinker. I got a very very small roadrash on the knee, even thought neither the rain pants or my normal pants have any holes :iiam: and a little scrap on the helmet the size of my pinky nail, and my leg hurts :(

Anyways, got it back up, twister the shift lever back in place, it started in the first turn and I rode home. Love sumos S2

Use your rear brake in the wet.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Loving the fact that I get to post in here again a week later. 5 years riding with no big incidents then two in a week.

I completely destroyed my bike Sunday. My front suspension started leaking (probably because of my last wreck) and I'd been putting off fixing it, not thinking it was that big a deal. Was on a back one lane goat trail off Pescadero with my friend Matt, went over a crest followed by a right turn, hit some bumps, the front suspension went wonky and I target fixated into a ditch on the left side. Managed to keep the bike up, popped out of the ditch, hosed up suspension + big rear end bump = me gunning the throttle and the bike (and me) tumbling down the road.

I laid in the grass for a minute while Matt picked my bike up for me. I snapped the left clip-on, so we duct-taped it back together so I could ride the thing home annoying people on 35 having to wait behind my slow one-armed-riding rear end. Damage to the bike: the clipon, throttle tube all hosed up, mirror completely gone, tons of new scrapes and cracks to plastics, big dent in gas tank, rear trunk won't open anymore. All of the gear I had on short my jacket is done, gloves, boots, helmet, overpants, as we as the jeans I had underneath my overpants. I'm ok other than a severely pulled left quad and a big welt on my right forearm. Gear did its job sacrificing itself.

In conclusion, skimping on maintenance combined with riding like an idiot will result your crashing. Also, gear is an awesome awesome thing.

Lots of pictures cause people like pictures:
Bike (check out those leaking front forks!):

Gears (warning crotch shot):

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 19, 2010

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

pr0zac posted:

Looks like you were just jerking too hard in this pic. Glad you are ok!

LeftyChris
Mar 28, 2010

pr0zac posted:

Was on a back one lane goat trail
Is a goat trail like a gravel road and not tarmac?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

LeftyChris posted:

Is a goat trail like a gravel road and not tarmac?

It's just a term used for roads that are bumpy as poo poo and don't have a centerline dividing the lanes. I think it's probably generally a bay area term.

pr0zac, glad you're ok. You're a braver man than me for riding those roads with a hosed front suspension, I still remember catching air off some of the bumps on ice cream grade on my 929. Damage just looks cosmetic, besides the clipon.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

It's just a term used for roads that are bumpy as poo poo and don't have a centerline dividing the lanes. I think it's probably generally a bay area term.

pr0zac, glad you're ok. You're a braver man than me for riding those roads with a hosed front suspension, I still remember catching air off some of the bumps on ice cream grade on my 929. Damage just looks cosmetic, besides the clipon.

Braver probably isn't the right word. Stupider more like. It was the sophomore year self-confidence thing, I just waited til year 5 to get it. Feeling way too sure of myself and riding beyond what I knew was safe.

Just blew $765 replacing my boots, gloves, overpants, and helmet. Expensive lesson and I haven't even started on the bike. Bought those Knox Handroid gloves I wanted and I had an excuse so I guess thats a good thing.

I'm actually relatively surprised how little damage there is to the bike. Matt said both me and the bike barrel rolled a few times. I was planning on street fightering the thing anyway so I guess this is a good incentive to get on that.

toolshed
Sep 1, 2001
Just out of curiosity, which road was this - alpine? (Although I guess that's not super close to Pescadero proper...)

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Awesome, sounds like my crash on 9 a few months ago. Managed to limp the bike back with bent forks and handlebars all the way up 9 and 35 too. I had just gotten a pair of actual leather pants and combine that feeling of invincibility with cocky half year riding experience.
Did 35 and La Honda two days ago, and find myself riding much more conservatively. Hope you get it back on the road soon!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

toolshed posted:

Just out of curiosity, which road was this - alpine? (Although I guess that's not super close to Pescadero proper...)

Just went back and looked, it was on Gazo Creek Rd. Pretty sure this is where I wrecked. (Bonus motorcycle on Google cam).

pr0zac fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 21, 2010

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Friday I was riding to work and stalled out at a light, and got rear-ended by a little Toyota truck. I had the bike in neutral so I got really lucky and I was able to keep my bike up, and not eat any pavement. Anyhow the rear-fender, lights, and the seat are toast, and the frame is bent, so I am going to go ahead and say the bike is going to be written off as a salvage.
I have never had to deal with insurance on a bike so I am wondering what exactly to expect. My bike is a sweet (old and rusty) yamaha XS750. I am not expecting to get a whole lot out of it, I think I will poo poo myself with happiness if I get more than $800 for it, but I haven't seen any comparable condition 750s for less than $1000.
Do they take that kind of stuff into consideration? I don't feel very attached to the bike, I just want to be able to replace it or have enough money to fix it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Insurance will low-ball the poo poo out of you, find a bunch of local-ish ads for a comparable bike to yours and bring them along when you meet the adjuster. Stand your ground and don't take less than an average of what you find for sale. Also, check your gear for any marks or anything - they will need to be added to the price.

I'm telling you though, don't seem weak or ambivalent about the situation or you will get screwed.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

bengy81 posted:

Friday I was riding to work and stalled out at a light, and got rear-ended by a little Toyota truck. I had the bike in neutral so I got really lucky and I was able to keep my bike up, and not eat any pavement. Anyhow the rear-fender, lights, and the seat are toast, and the frame is bent, so I am going to go ahead and say the bike is going to be written off as a salvage.
I have never had to deal with insurance on a bike so I am wondering what exactly to expect. My bike is a sweet (old and rusty) yamaha XS750. I am not expecting to get a whole lot out of it, I think I will poo poo myself with happiness if I get more than $800 for it, but I haven't seen any comparable condition 750s for less than $1000.
Do they take that kind of stuff into consideration? I don't feel very attached to the bike, I just want to be able to replace it or have enough money to fix it.

I'm with BlackMK4 on this--insurances is going to try and gently caress you dry on this one. I would try to claim every possible thing you can... Did it scuff your shoes? Did you bash your helmet on your handlebars? etc...

I mean, obviously don't commit fraud. But go for the throat on this one because my guess is that the book value on your bike is going to be jack poo poo.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Well I will find out on Monday or Tuesday what they are offering me, already found an ad for a bike with a motor that doesn't have matching numbers for a grand gonna save that for sure. I also have receipts for a whole bunch of work and parts I have bought for the thing, have like $400 sunk into a carb conversion for the bike, so I am going to try to get that money back for sure. Thanks for the advice, definitely going to play hard back, can't afford to let them walk all over me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Also, if they offer it cheap you might want to consider buying the bike back from insurance and parting it out.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

BlackMK4 posted:

Also, if they offer it cheap you might want to consider buying the bike back from insurance and parting it out.

How does that work? Do they sell them at a price based of the settlement, or off of book value? I figured at the very least I was going to go and grab the battery and or the carbs off the bike if they total it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

bengy81 posted:

How does that work? Do they sell them at a price based of the settlement, or off of book value? I figured at the very least I was going to go and grab the battery and or the carbs off the bike if they total it.

They offer you to buy it (if they don't make sure you ask) at a percentage of book value, depends on the company. I've been through the process a few times, only once did I bother buying the vehicle back. I ended up buying a 96 Nissan 240SX back for $800, after receiving $4000. Went through the salvage-restored salvage process with it and got to drive a car with a smashed quarter panel for a profit over what I'd paid for it the previous month.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Z3n posted:

State Farm covers trackdays. Many insurance providers cover street bikes used at trackdays, just like they'd cover an accident at an MSF ERC. Training courses are usually considered legit for claims.

Double and triple check on this. In OK state farm does not cover track days. Might differ from state to state but if they say they do, get that poo poo in writing. Friend of mine talked to his rep who said they did cover track days, wadded his bike at a track day, insurance said "What? We don't pay out for track days" and he had to have battle royal with them and lost. So yeah, definitely get this in writing before thinking they'll actually pay.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Silver posted:

Double and triple check on this. In OK state farm does not cover track days. Might differ from state to state but if they say they do, get that poo poo in writing. Friend of mine talked to his rep who said they did cover track days, wadded his bike at a track day, insurance said "What? We don't pay out for track days" and he had to have battle royal with them and lost. So yeah, definitely get this in writing before thinking they'll actually pay.

This is always a good idea when it comes to dealing with insurance. In talking to Spiffness about it, it seems like it's really contingent on what sort of environment the trackday provider fosters and what sort of claim adjuster you get. If they can understand the distinction between "trackday" and "race weekend" and the trackday provider will back you up (or provides instructors), then you have a good chance of being covered.

FWIW, I have 3 friends who have gotten payouts from state farm for streetbikes they rode on the track. There is absolutely no payout for dedicated trackbikes, as that's considered "training for a racing event", which is not covered.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Had my first dumbass drop at a stoplight. Was sitting there in neutral, accidentally clicked it into first and it jumped forward, stalled, and I lost my balance.
Luckily my bike isn't faired so I ended up with just a rashed lever.
Is it normal for some coolant to have spilled out of the radiator cap? It left a small pool of coolant where it fell but doesn't seem to be leaking anything.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
It probably just spilled out of the overflow reservoir. Just make sure it's still within acceptable fill levels and you're fine.

If it actually did leak out of the cap, that's a problem. The cap should be sealed.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I checked both and the overflow under the seat is dry but there's a line of wet running down the side of the radiator.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Not a recent crash, but I returned to the scene of the crime the other day to find nothing much had changed. So I walked the corridors of power in Goodison, Michigan because wherever there is injustice, you will find me. Wherever there is suffering, I'll be there.

I've changed the names as if there's a point in doing so. The pic doesn't really capture what a mess this thing is.

7/14

Dear Director McNabb -

I wanted to take a minute to give you a slightly different perspective on something you probably see every day. About 7 years ago, I was a relatively inexperienced motorcyclist and pulled into the above parking lot from the eastbound lane a little too quickly for the conditions--namely, massive amounts of gravel. I dropped the bike, slid some distance, and thankfully walked away with only wounded pride, ripped pants, and tweaked handlebars.

I was out there today, and it's basically the same as it was 7 years ago. I know that sweeping might be futile, and I'm no lansdscape specialist, but there must be something low-tech and low budget that can be done. As the busy season for the mill and creek approaches, I think it'd be in the department and company's best interest to address this. The next incident may not end as well.

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Warm regards

Marv Hushman

-----

7/15

Hi Mr. Hushman -

Thanks for sending me your concerns. I’ve forwarded to Twp. Supervisor (see below).

Becky McNabb
Director, Oakland Parks and Recreation

-----

7/15

We'll look into it, maybe limestone the shoulder.

Jeff Screech
Some Township Dude Responsible for the Roads

-----

7/23

Mr. Hushman:

I am in receipt of your email concern regarding the entrance to the Paint Creek Cider Mill. I am sorry to hear about the accident you had there and am working with the road commission to find some way to alleviate the problem. They are scheduled to resurface Orion Road this summer, and that will include some shoulder paving as well. They are reviewing their plans and we should see some improvement soon. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and as always, please feel free to contact me if you have any other concerns.

Elaine Eleven
Executive Assistant to the Township Manager
Charter Township of Oakland

-----

Remember, vote for Marv. Vote for real change you can believe in. Vote for...more orange barrels.

Marv Hushman fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 30, 2010

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Marv Hushman posted:

Remember, vote for Marv. Vote for real change you can believe in. Vote for...more orange barrels.

Aw gently caress, the one nice road around here is going to be closed? WAY TO GO. MARV. ;)

Crayvex fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jul 30, 2010

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Crayvex posted:

Aw gently caress, the one nice road around here is going to closed? WAY TO GO. MARV. ;)

Just remember, Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover makes a great gift for owners of yellow Vettes :)

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Little late to be posting this as my accident happened on June 6th but I just got my hands back in working order, or somewhat close to what they used to be, a few days ago.

Obligatory picture:

Click here for the full 640x396 image.

My bike is on the right. Well, what's left of it. My bosses is on the left. Notice the frames actually melted from the intensity of the heat/impact.

Back story:
I've been riding with my boss for two years now. I started out on a buell xb12 and enjoyed it greatly. Late in May I caught wind of a buell 1125R for sale at a dealer close to us and pounced on the chance to get a bike that's seemingly hard to find for sale now that it's been discontinued. My boss was all for it, as he had an 1125CR of his own that he could only say good things about, apart from some electrical issues that were fixed with a flash. I got my new bike on May 29th and promptly put on my poo poo-eater grin at the increase in grunt. That Saturday and Sunday were the only days I got to ride before my crash because of all the hours I was working at the time. Cut to Sunday June 6th. We've just got back from a cool meet in Ephreta, PA and we're hanging out in my bosses garage. He smokes but his wife doesn't know so he asks me if I want to go out for a quick cruise. As cliché as it is to say this, I had an uneasy feeling that something was going to happen. So we suit up and head out to our normal loop by the local reservoir.

The wreck:
We got to a pull off where my boss likes to sit and burn one while admiring the view. As we're sitting there he mentions that we should try out a new road that we haven't ridden yet. I agree that it sounds good and he say he'll take it easy since I'm still learning the ropes on my new bike. The road we're on has a speed limit of 35 and we're cruising along at 30 as it's somewhat twisty and has a few blind turns ahead. As we're coming up to a corner that's view is obstructed by a house I roll off the throttle. My boss was about 30 feet ahead of me as he rounded the turn. I'm not sure of how fast I was going when I came around the corner but I'm guessing I was doing about 20 to 25. All I see is wreckage, a car in my lane and my bosses bike flying up on me in flames. Before I can even react I collide with the bike, lifting myself up a bit so I can get away from the wreckage. Upon impact his bike explodes into a violent ball of fire and causes mine to take the same course. I'm launched through the wall of fire about 20 feet along the ground where I somehow caught my feet and began stripping off my clothes. I felt like I was on fire, my hands were bright red and my palm on my right hand had actually melted to the asphalt upon impact. Once I saw my boss I pretty much just went numb and into shock. He was laying on the ground trying to sit up screaming incoherently. The people in the car backed their car out of the fireball that was burning where our bikes laid. Cue medivac, ambulances, cops, 3 surgeries, 2 weeks in the hospital burn unit, and some pretty painful ongoing rehab.

Aftermath:
My friend broke every rib on the left side of his body, his appendix had ruptured, and he had bleeding on the brain. He was in a coma for 25 days, during which time his kidney's had failed. Through some miracle he's all but back to normal now, sitting in the hospital awaiting his discharge. His ribs all healed up and his kidney's started working again after dialysis. He chipped 3 vertebrae in his neck and was told he'd never use his left arm again. He's been wiggling his left hand fingers, prompting the doctors to think he is some sort of bionic-man.

I got the better end of the deal, at least as better as it could be. Somehow I didn't break any bones, which is amazing as I am 6'2" and weighed 135 at the time of the accident. Apart from a scuffed hip and pretty battered elbow my injuries consisted of third degree burns to my hands and ankles where my skin was exposed while riding. My hands had to get grafts while my ankles got a synthetic covering that acted like a scab in order to close the wounds. Unfortunately for me my hands may never work properly again. I'm still struggling with my rehab trying to get my left hand to be able to close into a fist. Apart from the horrible pain I feel constantly in my hands I healed up pretty well. I lost 18 pounds in my hospital stay, mainly due to me being an emotional wreck thinking that my friend died. I've got most of it back now though, eagerly anticipating going back to work as I am bored out of my mind sitting at home.

Possibly NMS picture of my left hand a month and 2 days after the accident: https://wi.somethingawful.com/84/84d9dbeaa6dd3d7d573552d56df8d0570b710f0f.jpg

Fun Facts / Misc:
My fiancee and I were to be married July 5th. I called her from the accident scene after my boss was taken away in the helicopter and she canceled everything. We still got married, even though only about 25% of our original guests showed up and I had to have my hands wrapped.

My helmet saved my life, and I can't stress enough to people the importance of wearing a full faced helmet and the proper riding gear. Thanks to my helmet I didn't inhale any of the flash fire or melt my already ugly face. My jackets elbow pads probably saved me from having a broken elbow and certainly saved me from having my chest and arms burnt/road rash. It's pretty much a melted piece of synthetic cloth now, a shame because I loved that jacket.

So that's pretty much all there is to it at the time. Sorry for the wall of text but I haven't really talked much about it with anyone and I felt like I needed to get it off my chest.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That is loving horrible.

What happened? Car drift over the centerline, bosses bike hit it and exploded, you crashed in the fire while you boss was trapped in it?

God drat son. Heal up. gently caress. Whats there to say.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Goddamn. Were you wearing gloves? Heal up fast :(

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
gently caress, that's harsh. Poor bikes ;(

I've always told people that only American vehicles explodes and burns on impact, and only in movies. Guess I was wrong about the movie part.

Hope both your hand and your mate recovers fully. loving drat blaze of bad luck.
Never ride together again (fat chance) ;)

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
drat that's frightning, do you think you'll try riding again?

Z3n posted:

Goddamn. Were you wearing gloves? Heal up fast :(

I'm also gonna ask what were you wearing on your hands and feet - since that's where you were mostly injured and this kind of reporting hopefully helps others make wise gear decisions.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.
Glad to hear you both made it out alive. That is a pretty frightening crash for the speeds you were going. Also seconding the request for more info on your gear. What kind of pants were you wearing that they were coming off during your slide?

Heal up fast.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Mikemo Tyson posted:

So that's pretty much all there is to it at the time. Sorry for the wall of text but I haven't really talked much about it with anyone and I felt like I needed to get it off my chest.

Holy loving poo poo.

That's pretty much a worst-case scenario right there, absolutely amazing that you both survived. I'm really glad you did, and hope you and your boss continue to recover smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

The NonBornKing posted:

Glad to hear you both made it out alive. That is a pretty frightening crash for the speeds you were going. Also seconding the request for more info on your gear. What kind of pants were you wearing that they were coming off during your slide?

Heal up fast.
I had a pair of alpine stars armored jeans on and a pair of steel toe converse shoes that I had from my old job. I'm rather tall so my pants road up a bit exposing a small portion of my ankles to the initial fireball. Unfortunately for my hands I wasn't wearing gloves because I have problems with my hands going numb while wearing them. I was going to look into getting a new pair but there's not really many places around where I can try them on before I buy them. My doctors told me that not wearing gloves might have actually saved me from a lot more pain since the intensity of the heat could of fused even a pair of pure leather gloves into my flesh. The gloves I did have were a synthetic and mesh armored pair of buell gloves so as lovely as it is to say, I'm kind of glad I didn't have them on at the time. Even though this was the case I'll still be buying a nice pair of pure leather armored gloves for when I'm ready to ride again. Oh and a nice pair of higher boots also, mine came up pretty high but they ankle tops weren't leather end burnt away during the flash.

cheesebot posted:

drat that's frightning, do you think you'll try riding again?
I still have my xb12 but I'm somewhat reluctant to get back on it since it has the same fuel-in-frame design that the 1125 did. While I understand that what happened was a pretty freak accident it's still sitting in the back of my mind that I might possibly be riding an exploding death trap. As it stands right now I'm looking into getting a street or speed triple.

Spiffness posted:

What happened? Car drift over the centerline, bosses bike hit it and exploded, you crashed in the fire while you boss was trapped in it?
As of right now the police report is saying that my boss lost control of his bike and slid into their lane. I don't see how this is possible since I was a mere seconds behind and the car and his bike were both in my lane. The police said that plastic skid marks in the opposite lane show him dumping the bike around the turn. The guys been riding for 30 years and was adamant about not riding close to the double yellow as he stressed the importance of never having to cross it through a turn. I'm assuming the skid marks are from the plastic part of the car's bumper as they backed up into a field near by. The passenger of the car, was extremely drunk and belligerent, ripped the hanging bumper off and tossed it into the field next to the car, I didn't really put those facts together until my boss' lawyer told me about the skid marks. I'm assuming the passenger in the car was fighting with his girlfriend/friend/whatever she was, and she drifted into our lane colliding with my boss' bike. My boss was lucky enough to be ejected before the bike exploded, he hit the windshield and bounced onto the shoulder of our lane.

• Locked thread