Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm trying to color my menu differently if I'm currently on the page, but it seems to just ignore the CSS no matter what I do, even if I use !important.

Here's the relevant code edited to not break tables.

code:
<header id="siteheader">
	<div id="navigation">
		<ul>
		<li id="About"><a href="...">About</a></li>
		<li id="Another"><a href="...">Another</a></li>
		<li id="Page"><a href="...">Page</a></li>
		<li id="Last active"><a href="...">Last</a></li>
		</ul>
	</div>
</header>
code:
header ul li a {color:#000000;}
header ul li a:hover	{color:#428542;}
header ul li#active a	{color:yellow !important;}
The color yellow is just a random color I wrote in just to make it easier to see if it worked since it's so bright, but it just ignores it and instead uses the other colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Ziir posted:

<li id="Last active">

quote:

header ul li#active a {color:yellow !important;}

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Strict 9 posted:

Funny, I came in here to bitch about Thesis and saw this.

A client who I fired, in essence, hired a new "internet guru" to design them a new site. Which basically involved her installing a Thesis theme. So I'm assisting with taking their current site, which I designed in Wordpress from scratch, and trying to jam it into this Thesis theme.

What the gently caress is Thesis anyway? A way for people who don't know anything about customizing Wordpress to be able to do some more advanced customization? Because all I know is I'm trying to do something like oh, I don't know, have a page use a different template and now apparently I have to develop special filters and hooks and god knows what else just to use a drat template.

Wow. I don't envy you at all. The guy basically made up his own rule set to go on top of WordPress a while back and in the meantime WordPress got a hell of a lot better and he tossed all of his efforts into marketing.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Dammit, I need some confirmation here. How difficult is it to build a basic layout and have lots of places for ads (think Lamebook or People of Walmart or any blog like that sits upon Wordpress). I've spent months with a plan and not doing it because I keep thinking it's going to be a huge pain in the rear end. Someone just humor me and tell me how difficult it is so I can get my rear end in gear and start building this site. :smith:

sim
Sep 24, 2003

If you know your way around HTML/CSS it shouldn't be difficult at all. There are also lots of themes with ad spaces built in.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

And many plugins specialized for ads.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can anyone list some good choices for plugins then?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Edited because I'm a rude rear end in a top hat. Sorry for the attitude!

revmoo fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 1, 2010

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I realize that, I was just wondering if there are any good ones that aren't listed as "most popular" or something. I fully plan on doing that research.

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
I've scanned the thread and didn't see anything so far.

Client wants a page where users must log in to access/download files. "Free Downloads – Need to Register before accessing downloads. Need to log in when accessing this section each time the site is visited but should not prompt multiple log-ins when viewing the site and returning to this section."

Can anyone recommend such a plugin? (WP 3.0)

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

I've scanned the thread and didn't see anything so far.

Client wants a page where users must log in to access/download files. "Free Downloads – Need to Register before accessing downloads. Need to log in when accessing this section each time the site is visited but should not prompt multiple log-ins when viewing the site and returning to this section."

Can anyone recommend such a plugin? (WP 3.0)

I use one called User Access Manager that works pretty well, and I believe should do what you need.

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed it's been two weeks.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Ned posted:

Wow. I don't envy you at all. The guy basically made up his own rule set to go on top of WordPress a while back and in the meantime WordPress got a hell of a lot better and he tossed all of his efforts into marketing.
You may find this amusing. Matt Mullenweg has been going at it with the Thesis theme developer over twitter/etc., discussing Thesis not being under the GPL licensing scheme. Apparently Thesis has WordPress code within the theme, and Mullenweg is arguing that if you are using code from a GPL product, whatever you are doing has to be distributed under the GPL as well.

http://twitter.com/search?q=%23thesiswp

http://thenextweb.com/socialmedia/2010/07/14/wordpress-and-thesis-go-to-battle-mullenweg-may-sue/

Thesis guy: http://twitter.com/pearsonified

Mullenweg: http://twitter.com/photomatt

It sounds like somebody started pouring over the Thesis code, and some people are not too happy, including a core WordPress developer who found a bunch of his code in Thesis:

http://twitter.com/nacin

quote:

This is really pissing me off. I'm up to a few hundred lines directly lifted from WP. A part of me is crushed

It may seem like another internet slapfight but it's the Thesis guy which makes it great :haw:

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Some quotes from the Thesis guy:

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1516950

quote:

"This can't be understated or just glossed over as if it's not true. My position at the market is pretty much at the top. I'm the most visible person in this space so everyone's gunning for me. Everyone wants a piece."

"There's no resolving this. Either you sue me or you don't. Or you continue to talk, or you don't."

"I've been arguably one of the top 3 most important figures in the history wordpress."

"At this time I feel like my method of operation is exactly congruent with my feelings about everything."

"There's no incentive that incentivises me to do anything. All of my decisions come from within."

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

I went to the Thesis guy's personal site because I was curious to see what he had to say outside of Twitter:

http://www.pearsonified.com/

:ughh:

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hah, yeah, that's all been pretty funny.

I did finally figure out how to modify that Thesis theme by the way. It was stunning, how incredibly complicated it was to figure out how to make a CUSTOM TEMPLATE. It took 30 minutes of searching their forum to figure it out.

So that guy can go die in a fire as far as I'm concerned.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

tonelok posted:

It may seem like another internet slapfight but it's the Thesis guy which makes it great :haw:

I agree, as I'm not real fond of Thesis' model.

I heard about all this thanks to our WordPress Austin group. Now local boy Aaron Brazell has an interesting take on this in terms of the legal ramifications:
http://technosailor.aaronbrazell.com/2010/07/14/impending-legal-precedent-for-gpl-licensing/

As I mentioned elsewhere, I really hope that if it does come down to a lawsuit, the findings support and encourage GPL and open-source rather than put new roadblocks in the way. But given the direction the prevailing winds are blowing when it comes to expanding, and entrenching, copyright and other IP laws, I'm not sure if I should be encouraged by the fact that this may hit the courts.

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.
I've pretty much got my site to where I want it to be, except for one small issue with the menus and Next Gen Gallery. It appears that if my drop down menu has more than 2 items, on a next gen gallery page, the menu will drop behind the images. I've scanned the CSS somewhat, but can't really work out what I need to change.

An example of the issue is on this page

http://www.less-than-3.com/photos/connor/before-birth/

Direction would be useful here, even if it's to work out whether I should bo looking at the theme CSS or the gallery CSS or something else completely.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Mighty Zoltar posted:

I've pretty much got my site to where I want it to be, except for one small issue with the menus and Next Gen Gallery. It appears that if my drop down menu has more than 2 items, on a next gen gallery page, the menu will drop behind the images. I've scanned the CSS somewhat, but can't really work out what I need to change.

An example of the issue is on this page

http://www.less-than-3.com/photos/connor/before-birth/

Direction would be useful here, even if it's to work out whether I should bo looking at the theme CSS or the gallery CSS or something else completely.

The way I'd fix this is by adding these lines to .menu (line 51) in style.css

position:relative;
z-index: 1;

the position line is so that z-index will work, and z-index just tells the browser how to layer things.

There may be a better way to do this but this is how I would fix it.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Wow. Really glad I didn't buy Thesis now. What a jerk.

Mighty Zoltar
Aug 18, 2004

I AM A PIECE OF SHIT. IF YOU SEE ME ON THE STREET, PLEASE STAB ME.

revmoo posted:

The way I'd fix this is by adding these lines to .menu (line 51) in style.css

position:relative;
z-index: 1;

the position line is so that z-index will work, and z-index just tells the browser how to layer things.

There may be a better way to do this but this is how I would fix it.

Didn't look like it worked at first, but after I screwed things up a little and undid them, all decided to work great.

Thanks!

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Going by his twitter page (http://twitter.com/photomatt), it looks like Mullenweg and WordPress are going to sue the Thesis people. If you read through Planet WordPress, there's info about comparing the Thesis code with WordPress code and seeing what all they pulled in.

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
Wow, Chris Pearson comes accross as a complete fucktard.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918

Midnight- posted:

Wow, Chris Pearson comes accross as a complete fucktard.
He's also not making any sense at all:

Chris Pearson posted:

However, I think any astute economic analysis of economic systems of the way businesses and economies actually work would very quickly notice that a GPL does some very inorganic things to what are otherwise organic systems. So, from a systemic standpoint, on a systemic level, I disagree with the way the GPL perpetuates economies.
I... uh... what? :psyduck:

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
It is really a shame but I think he has to be sued. He has no respect for the underlying system on which he decided to build his framework and seems to have no understanding of software licensing at all. He basically turned his customers into walking salespeople as they were given financial incentive to sell Thesis through affiliate links, which is different from most people who like WordPress as they are focused on getting folks to use WordPress because they believe it is a good system - not because they stand to make money from converting people.

Also, I can't believe he considers himself to be important because of 37k downloads. I've met the guys who are in charge of the #1 and #2 most downloaded plugins. They are humble as gently caress and ultimately surprised at the amount of downloads they have. They don't even like to mention their numbers nor what they have accomplished. 37k is nothing compared to 2 million+ downloads. But yeah, there is that whole more money = better than. But if he does get slapped with a lawsuit I think it could be incredibly painful for the entire WordPress community. But seriously, how does someone create a product based on WordPress without agreeing with the license behind it?

Midnight-
Aug 22, 2007

Pain or damage don't end the world, or despair, or fuckin' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man - and give some back.
I'm still not sure I've completely wrapped my head around the licence and how it works anyways. If you pay for a a woo theme or studio press or some other premium theme, you are able to do whatever you want with it? Even if that involves selling it/giving it away?

So all these torrents containing 100+wordpress themes or premium plugins and the like are actually...legal?

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Ned posted:

But seriously, how does someone create a product based on WordPress without agreeing with the license behind it?
He's selling a product that uses code that others have developed (and they aren't happy), so I don't think it bothers him.

What if everybody who contributed code to WordPress that ended up in Thesis sued Pearson for copyright infringement?

Clockwork Sputnik
Nov 6, 2004

24 Hour Party Monster
Alright. Wit's end ahoy.

WP 3.0
with this theme:
http://themeforest.net/item/intelligible-business-20in1-wp-theme/full_screen_preview/102726
I tried creating a custom menu for a side bar in Appearance/Menus

It spits out an error:

Warning: array_intersect() [function.array-intersect]: Argument #2 is not an array in \\...\wp-admin\nav-menus.php on line 381

Somehow, this failure caused my dropdown child menus off of my main top menu to disappear.

When I try to delete it through Appearance/Menus it says:

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in \\...wp-admin\nav-menus.php on line 260

What I think I need to do is delete the custom menus I've tried to create. Where can I locate these in FTP and delete them directly via mysql, thereby presumably restoring my dropdown menus on /index.php?

edit: Fixed link

Clockwork Sputnik fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 20, 2010

Lamb-Blaster 4000
Sep 20, 2007

how would I go about changing the image upload functionality to upsize images when the medium dimensions are larger than the original image's?

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004
OK, I seem to have hit a brick wall (metaphorically)

I need to alter (in my theme) how images in posts and pages are displayed.Specifically, to add to the HTML that is rendered for the images; wrapping DIVs to be precise.

Foolishly I thought "hey, wordpress is pretty well written; there'll be a filter for that, somewhere..."

Dilligent searching turns up two filters: get_image_tag_class and get_image_tag
Now; get_image_tag will let me wrap the IMG tag in a div.. HOWEVER - its called once, at the point the image is inserted into the post/page, not on page display.

This means that my additional div will be permanently added to all images added to the site while my theme happens to be active, and not added to pre-existing images on the site, and will pollute the markup of the site for all following themes. That sucks, and is no good at all.

Does anyone know where to look for a filter that covers the markup of images at page render time? Is there such a filter? Do I really have to do this in javascript? (a very lame solution indeed) Do I have to filter "the_content" and then parse for image tags?!?

Or more likely, am I missing something (obvious)?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A slashdot article just got posted about the Thesis debacle.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

KuruMonkey posted:

Do I have to filter "the_content" and then parse for image tags?!?

Probably this. Alternatively, you could shove the_content into simplehtmldom in order to not write a regular expression and then just find the img tags and wrap them there. But you'd have to include simplehtmldom with your theme.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

revmoo posted:

A slashdot article just got posted about the Thesis debacle.
It would be one thing if it was 100% Pearson's code. Even if it required WordPress to run, it would be getting into an interesting area concerning the GPL.

The problem for Pearson is that there is plenty of code in Thesis that was written by other developers, including core WordPress developers that released it under GPL, and a lot of the Slashdotters seem to miss this entirely.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How can I have the latest posts of a single category show up on my Wordpress home page instead of all categories?

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!
Is there an wordpress email collector plugin? Something like a "please enter your email for more information" text field? I am planning on selling a product using the ecommerce plugin but I want to setup the site now and get some details of people interested while I'm building out everything else. Thanks!

sim
Sep 24, 2003

BorderPatrol posted:

How can I have the latest posts of a single category show up on my Wordpress home page instead of all categories?
http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/query_posts#Category_Parameters

KuruMonkey
Jul 23, 2004

Ned posted:

Probably this. Alternatively, you could shove the_content into simplehtmldom in order to not write a regular expression and then just find the img tags and wrap them there. But you'd have to include simplehtmldom with your theme.

Thanks; I swallowed my pride and did it in jQuery - you have to account for some images having the wp-caption div wrapped around them already - so I decided it was better to do it in jQuery and either wrap my div or just add a class to the one already there depending.

On the plus side; I'm considerably better at rewriting the page with jQuery than when I began :)

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

sonic bed head posted:

Is there an wordpress email collector plugin? Something like a "please enter your email for more information" text field? I am planning on selling a product using the ecommerce plugin but I want to setup the site now and get some details of people interested while I'm building out everything else. Thanks!

You could do this in five minutes by just taking the form input and dumping it into a text file/csv etc. It would be about as easy as installing a Wordpress plugin.

sonic bed head
Dec 18, 2003

this is naturual, baby!

revmoo posted:

You could do this in five minutes by just taking the form input and dumping it into a text file/csv etc. It would be about as easy as installing a Wordpress plugin.

What is the correct way to do this within the wordpress framework? Should I just add a collectEmail.php file in my wordpress root directory and post to that? Or is there a way that I'm supposed to integrate my code into the wordpress code?

edit: Actually, the best would be if I could use wp_mail() and not have to worry about anything else. How can I get access to that function without being in a wordpress plugin? It might be a stupid question, I am completely new to wordpress customization.

sonic bed head fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 23, 2010

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Make a template for that page and then have the template handle the post with the e-mail address.

Or, make a template than can handle an AJAX request with the e-mail address and then put it on every page.

Failing that, make something in functions.php that checks for a specific post request and have that handle things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
[...] is there an easy way to ban CIDR ranges of spammers? Akismet needs a little button [...]