Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Isn't poofactory the eve guy whose dick got faxed to his office

as said before that was remedy/internetruleslawyer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

CaptainScraps posted:

I don't know if I've posted this in this thread BUT

There's a large firm who had a partner carrying on with the secretary. They have a falling out. The secretary sues the firm for sexual harassment. The partner has a "bad deposition day" and reveals quite a few things. Firm settles with secretary for a 7 figure chunk.

Partner gets married to secretary, still works there.

P.S. William Munny this was your "dream firm"

And it shall remain a dream.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

William Munny posted:

And it shall remain a dream.

I know a fine, fine single partner there. A better dream. You like cougars?

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize
Hey guys, I've been checking this thread since December '09 and I just wanted to say that, about 3 weeks before starting law school, I'm pulling out. This includes giving up a most-of-tuition-paid scholarship. The depressing poo poo about employment just kept creeping up on me and I couldn't shake the horrible feeling that I might be getting into debt for a terrible reason. So congratulations, you've swayed another would-be law goon. I guess I'm either gonna go work lovely jobs for a year in Texas and hang out with old friends or teach English in Japan, then apply to grad school for Agricultural Economics. gently caress. I have to get my quantitative score on the GRE higher now... but oh well.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Oakdale posted:

Hey guys, I've been checking this thread since December '09 and I just wanted to say that, about 3 weeks before starting law school, I'm pulling out. This includes giving up a most-of-tuition-paid scholarship. The depressing poo poo about employment just kept creeping up on me and I couldn't shake the horrible feeling that I might be getting into debt for a terrible reason. So congratulations, you've swayed another would-be law goon. I guess I'm either gonna go work lovely jobs for a year in Texas and hang out with old friends or teach English in Japan, then apply to grad school for Agricultural Economics. gently caress. I have to get my quantitative score on the GRE higher now... but oh well.

Dibs on taking personal credit for this one.

Good choice. I don't know what Agricultural Economics entails, but it sounds like watching the grass grow. Oddly enough, that's more exciting than law school.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga
This might be an overly ambitious question, but how did the practice of employers looking to USNWR for hiring guidance begin? I can see why it continues, but it seems like a stupid thing to start doing. Does anyone have a link to like a law school rankings history or something? When did they start?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Oakdale posted:

gonna go work lovely jobs for a year in Texas and hang out with old friends

I envy every single one of my maxed-out-education-with-high-school friends that get to do this.

I'm stressing over a goddamn paper I have to write for my boss while everyone else is out having fun every night before going back to their "lovely" jobs in the morning. Motherfuckers.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Oakdale on July 7'th posted:

So I've decided to get a joint degree in Agricultural and Resource Economics in addition to a JD with a heavy focus on environmental policy, hopefully I can get a job at the EPA in 4 years. I'm still pretty depressed about my future though, don't worry!

One week later, Oakdale posted:

That's a lot of maturing you did in a week. No irony.

Oakdale
Jan 7, 2008
let's dualize

Adar posted:

That's a lot of maturing you did in a week. No irony.

Nice research there. I've actually been worrying about this for a long time, but I kept figuring I'd power through it. My parents kept telling me to ignore all of the information I was finding in my research about the legal field, saying it wasn't "credible" and that I would do fine because I'm a unique snowflake.

I actually do believe I'm a unique snowflake, but my impression is that law school destroys unique snowflakes. Also, I don't want to be a lawyer. I was interested in an "alternative" JD job, like working for the government (I actually want to work in a think tank). But doing research in economics would probably be a better fit and more marketable anyway (don't say anything bad about this because I'll cry). Especially if I can get an assistantship with no debt at a graduate program.

A big part of it is that my dad is a doctor and my brother is in medical school, so I was expected to become a "professional." I decided that getting a grad degree with no debt and living with my parents would be better than getting a JD with debt and living with my parents. So, uh, poo poo. This has been really tough on me. I typed up a 17-page essay about why I didn't think I should go to law school and left it on my parents' bed for them to read.

God drat, I wish I was still in college smoking weed.

Incredulous Red
Mar 25, 2008

semicolonsrock posted:

This might be an overly ambitious question, but how did the practice of employers looking to USNWR for hiring guidance begin? I can see why it continues, but it seems like a stupid thing to start doing. Does anyone have a link to like a law school rankings history or something? When did they start?

Isn't part of USNWR's law school rankings peer/bench/academics' impressions of the schools? So, like, wouldn't USNWR's rankings reflect firm's preferences almost as much as they influence them?

Mr. Fictitious
Jul 9, 2002

by Ozmaugh

Defenestration posted:

No the Eve dude was InternetRulesLawyer I think

haha no way, wasn't he also the cranky Clarence Thomas fan?

oh speaking of which, twitter.com/clarencethomas is pretty fuckin funny

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Petey posted:

This has been less true internationally. The major Korean university just announced they are switching to holistic admissions and convened a summit of Ivy+ admissions deans to help them through the process; Oxbridge is famously numbers-driven, but has begun to inch towards a holistic system as well.

This isn't really true, Oxbridge admissions are almost entirely interview-based (with high-school grade requirements that are generally to attain than getting past the interview stage), and changing this really isn't in the cards in the near future.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

Oakdale posted:

So I've decided to get a joint degree in Agricultural and Resource Economics in addition to a JD with a heavy focus on environmental policy, hopefully I can get a job at the EPA in 4 years. I'm still pretty depressed about my future though, don't worry!

I just applied for the EPA. Their stated minimum hiring requirements involved top 20% of your class from a T30. Of course, that's what you need to avoid having your resume thrown in the trash. I doubt anyone below top 10% is even going to get an interview let alone an offer.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ainsley posted:

What was your background?

poofactory posted:

diablo/civilization

I think Diablo and Civilization are two great video game metaphors for the skills necessary to run a solo practice:

Diablo - constant hustling and slaughtering

Civ - long-term strategy, careful planning, etc..

Going by these two, I'd say poofactory was amply prepared for solo / small firm practice.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

semicolonsrock posted:

Lawyers and their clients are prestige whores.

Incredulous Red posted:

Isn't part of USNWR's law school rankings peer/bench/academics' impressions of the schools? So, like, wouldn't USNWR's rankings reflect firm's preferences almost as much as they influence them?

Yes. No.

entris posted:

I think Diablo and Civilization are two great video game metaphors for the skills necessary to run a solo practice:

Diablo - constant hustling and slaughtering

Civ - long-term strategy, careful planning, etc..

Going by these two, I'd say poofactory was amply prepared for solo / small firm practice.

And neither require any human contact at all. Perfect.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

builds character posted:

And neither require any human contact at all. Perfect.

Hahaha.

Also, WoW is the perfect metaphor for BigLaw: endless grinding and to get the good stuff you have to collaborate with a collection of other people who may or may not like.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

entris posted:

Hahaha.

Also, WoW is the perfect metaphor for BigLaw: endless grinding and to get the good stuff you have to collaborate with a collection of other people who may or may not like.

To be fair, that's pretty much a metaphor for life.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

entris posted:

Hahaha.

And the good stuff you get is just a shinier, prettier version of the stuff you already had anyway, which serves no real purpose except to make people think you are better/more classy.

And you are too jaded at the end to really enjoy that stuff anyway.

And you alienate everyone else you know that doesn't join the grind in the process.

And you gain weight and subsist off of food that mostly gets delivered to your parents' basement office.

poo poo, it is really the same thing.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Blinkz0rz posted:

To be fair, that's pretty much a metaphor for life.
Its a SIMILE SHEESH

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

And the good stuff you get is just a shinier, prettier version of the stuff you already had anyway, which serves no real purpose except to make people think you are better/more classy.

I know I'm going to sound like an incredible snob saying this, but I'd rather be doing securities litigation or big commercial contract disputes than sanding my mortality away on a wheel of small coverage disputes and slip and falls. At least for civil litigation, the bigger firms do tend to have more interesting cases.

Linguica posted:

Its a SIMILE SHEESH

More and more, it seems that people use the term "metaphor" for situations when I was taught to use "simile." Is it no longer about using "like" or "as?"

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

TyChan posted:

I know I'm going to sound like an incredible snob saying this, but I'd rather be doing securities litigation or big commercial contract disputes than sanding my mortality away on a wheel of small coverage disputes and slip and falls. At least for civil litigation, the bigger firms do tend to have more interesting cases.

Ah, maybe I interpreted his post a different way. I was referring to the material rewards; many people would think a person driving a Lexus is better than a person driving a Camry, much like most WoW players would think someone decked out in all the best gear is better than someone in lower level stuff.

I don't think your statement is snobbish at all. Most people would probably find that kind of work more interesting.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

nm posted:

Univ of West Los Angeles; Los Angeles CA
A quality institution, only second to Yale.

Why wouldn't they be ambitious and call themselves the University of Los Angeles? They could scam their way toward sounding respectable.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Holland Oats posted:

Why wouldn't they be ambitious and call themselves the University of Los Angeles? They could scam their way toward sounding respectable.
Anything related to east Los Angeles is pretty much the opposite of respectable

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I bid exclusively on DC firms for EIP. This year will be better than last year, right?

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

billion dollar bitch posted:

I bid exclusively on DC firms for EIP. This year will be better than last year, right?

this is not gonna end well for u

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Adar posted:

My close relative did it in the mid-90's with the added handicap of not speaking great English and, to this day, being unable to go to court (the rear end in a top hat judge making fun of her accent from the bench didn't help, not even after he got disbarred).

Of course, she was bilingual in a community few people served at the time, had 20 years of experience practicing in another country and got a lot of help from that community that she still spent years repaying. Oh yeah, because of her overseas education she went to school for one year instead of three and her loans were correspondingly lower.

There's no loving way it could be done right now in this business climate by a fresh law school graduate without someone to subsidize them for the first couple of years. She's the first to admit it.

She's got pretty thin skin to be scared of a judge like that. I can't even count the number of times a judge has yelled at me or opposing counsel for some really stupid poo poo. I've also had one judge lay down a bullshit motion ruling and then have another judge insinuate I was incompetent for not winning the motion. That's life.

Your idea that there is "no loving way it could be done right now" is completely inaccurate. I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank. Do you realize that malpractice insurance is dirt cheap (couple hundred/month or less) and you can find office space for under $500/month or share an office with a firm for less. You can run a practice for less than $2k/month depending on how you advertise.

But wtf do I know about it. You guys seem to have so many reasons why it won't work. I'm sure you're right.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

poofactory posted:

I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank.

hahahaha are you loving kidding me

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

poofactory posted:

But wtf do I know about it. You guys seem to have so many reasons why it won't work. I'm sure you're right.

If you spoke in greater specifics, it might be harder for others to contradict you. I am very curious about your practice area.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

poofactory posted:

I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank.

Oh no poo poo, well gently caress I have that just laying around in piles on my kitchen counter brb starting a law practice

looks like Magic 8-Ball was right after all

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

poofactory posted:

She's got pretty thin skin to be scared of a judge like that. I can't even count the number of times a judge has yelled at me or opposing counsel for some really stupid poo poo. I've also had one judge lay down a bullshit motion ruling and then have another judge insinuate I was incompetent for not winning the motion. That's life.

Your idea that there is "no loving way it could be done right now" is completely inaccurate. I am mentoring one recent law grad and she opened up a practice just after graduating with less than $50k in the bank. Do you realize that malpractice insurance is dirt cheap (couple hundred/month or less) and you can find office space for under $500/month or share an office with a firm for less. You can run a practice for less than $2k/month depending on how you advertise.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that most people posting in this thread who are in law school are going to graduate with less than $5k in the bank.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
From reading this, I think that the old practice of training to be a lawyer by reading law is due for a comeback. Instead of going to law school and getting tons of debt while learning little that would be of use, you go and study as an apprentice in a practical environment, learning exactly what the job entails and seeing what your life will be like down the road.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Blinkz0rz posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that most people posting in this thread who are in law school are going to graduate with less than $5k in the bank.

Adar posted:

"Hello BIGBANK. I am a newly minted attorney from TTT and I would like to start a solo practice with zero experience. Please lend me lots of money so that I may operate out of an office instead of my house, buy malpractice insurance and pay myself a salary. Also, please ignore any amount of student loans I may already have in the process. TIA"

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Adar posted:

hahahaha are you loving kidding me

Is it difficult to have $30-$50k after graduating from law school? You know that you can get scholarships and work during school, right? You can also take out some student loans and save the money for use after you graduate. Plus, you don't have to start your own firm right after graduation. You can work a year or two or ten before going solo or partnering with a friend.

Plus you completely overlook that it only takes a couple thousand a month to run a bare bones practice.

Tychan - I do mainly immigration.

Defleshed - If you don't have any money and have already graduated then it probably won't work out for you.

Blinkorz - Most people are idiots and most people will fail. I'm not trying to say anyone can do this but that it is not something that is impossible like everyone here seems to think.

My original post is that the legal field is really good right now for people with the right skill set and nothing anyone has posted has invalidated that.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

poofactory posted:

Is it difficult to have $30-$50k after graduating from law school? You know that you can get scholarships and work during school, right? You can also take out some student loans and save the money for use after you graduate. Plus, you don't have to start your own firm right after graduation. You can work a year or two or ten before going solo or partnering with a friend.

:ughh:

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Are you trolling the thread or do you really not have any idea how much a legal education costs these days?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

poofactory posted:

Tychan - I do mainly immigration.

Alright. That makes some sense, then, as far as "learning to practice" goes. Immigration law involves a concrete, discrete body of law which a solo attorney can get familiar with in a relatively quick amount of time (as compared to other specialties). The client is not necessarily dependent on the health of the economy.

What languages do you speak?

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Are you trolling the thread or do you really not have any idea how much a legal education costs these days?

Any sucker paying sticker deserves to fail in life. If you plan to go solo, you don't need t14. the goal is to get a license without debt and cash in the bank when you graduate.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

poofactory posted:

Want to mentor me too?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
I'm dubious of these claims of solo greatness only because "immigration law" doesn't sound like it nets one all the hookers and blow and phat cars and stacks of money that I've been led to believe a JD would hand me on a silver platter.

poofactory, please confirm/deny your frequency with the above in order to validate your "success" as a lawyer.

On an unrelated note, what happened to Atlas, who last I remember was dealing with a huge gash in his body? Did he actually get medical attention or did his guts just spill out everywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

HooKars posted:

Want to mentor me too?

Sure, send me a pm. You need help with the hookers or the blow?