Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

IT Guy posted:

Not if he hasn't replaced the default notepad.

What? Is he trying to use a different notepad than the one that comes with windows? Does this not work in 7 or vista anymore? I thought it did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Sweeper posted:

What? Is he trying to use a different notepad than the one that comes with windows? Does this not work in 7 or vista anymore? I thought it did

gently caress, ignore me, I thought we were talking about Notepad++

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

IT Guy posted:

gently caress, ignore me, I thought we were talking about Notepad++

Then you can just do win+r notepad++!

I think notepad++ sticks itself in your path somewhere on install, at least it always has for me!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sweeper posted:

win+r notepad

I want to be able to hit three keys (win, n, enter), you're suggesting ten. I like my question better. Surely there's a way to do this apart from uninstalling Sticky Notes?

The weird thing, this is on a fresh install... on my previous install, I had no problem with notepad showing up first when I did a quick search for n. :confused:

This goes to more than just notepad. In the past, I've had other folders usurp the easiness of typing 'down' and getting to my downloads folder, or what not. I was thinking, surely there must be some way of jiggering what results the quick search brings? Because it would certainly make my life easier.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 14, 2010

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Golbez posted:

I want to be able to hit three keys (win, n, enter), you're suggesting ten. I like my question better. Surely there's a way to do this apart from uninstalling Sticky Notes?

The weird thing, this is on a fresh install... on my previous install, I had no problem with notepad showing up first when I did a quick search for n. :confused:

This goes to more than just notepad. In the past, I've had other folders usurp the easiness of typing 'down' and getting to my downloads folder, or what not. I was thinking, surely there must be some way of jiggering what results the quick search brings? Because it would certainly make my life easier.

If you type it once it saves it in your run box. So if it was the last thing you opened with run it will be filled in there the next time you use it. You can also hit the down arrow to cycle through the last used run commands.

Also I am pretty sure it does learn after a while what you use more often after a certain search

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Sweeper posted:

If you type it once it saves it in your run box. So if it was the last thing you opened with run it will be filled in there the next time you use it. You can also hit the down arrow to cycle through the last used run commands.

Also I am pretty sure it does learn after a while what you use more often after a certain search

True, though I'd hate to use one method for loading some programs, and another for when Windows is being belligerent.

We'll see, but so far it's shown no inclination; I've opened Sticky Notes once, by accident, and thrown a dozen notepads at it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Xenomorph posted:

We have to pile on a mess of registry changes just to get Windows XP to connect to a non-Windows Directory (we use Apple OpenDirectory / OpenLDAP), and I know Windows 7 needs even more registry changes as well.

Have you checked to see if Vista/Win7 require a little extra changes for Novell?
I've not checked that yet. We have to do some more testing with it, the administrator account was loading it's profile while a user account was not. I've got to see what happens when I get into the domain without Novell installed at all.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Golbez posted:

We'll see, but so far it's shown no inclination; I've opened Sticky Notes once, by accident, and thrown a dozen notepads at it.

It does "learn".

My guess that the algorithm has a time factor to it that relies on days of use.

So like if over the past seven days you've opened notepad more than sticky notes it will start putting notepad first, but not before that seven days is up.

I'm just guessing based on what I've observed, though...

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

You can try using Find and Run Robot or Launchy or something like that instead.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

darkforce898 posted:

You can try using Find and Run Robot or Launchy or something like that instead.

Thanks, though I just wanted to find out if I could train Windows Quick Search, which I doubt those programs do...

Golbez fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 15, 2010

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yaos posted:

Anybody have a clue why Windows 7 can't find/create a roaming profile or create a local profile when using Active Directory and Novell? I know that 7 can't load an XP profile so in my attempts to fix it I've recreated the user account and pointed the profile path at the server to a shiny new folder and gave it correct permissions in eDirectory with no luck. Roaming profiles work perfectly in XP with Novell+AD, but don't work at all at 7. I've not tried it without Novell, not that it matters because we have to use Novell and AD in one area while everybody else is just Novell without roaming profiles.

The version is 7 Pro or whatever it's called now. I did start the install in Windows XP instead of a clean install, but it claimed that it would wipe out XP before installing 7. Did the installer lie to me?

Did you make sure the profile directory name on wherever it is being stored is %username%.V2?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Did you make sure the profile directory name on wherever it is being stored is %username%.V2?

Will the Win 7 profiles forever be %username%.V2 or does that go away if there's no pre-Vista profile?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Will the Win 7 profiles forever be %username%.V2 or does that go away if there's no pre-Vista profile?

It looks like it will be a forever kind of thing, or at least a 10 years thing since XP Pro will be supported until 2020.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

XP Pro will be supported until 2020.

I honestly can't tell if you're being ironic or not here.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

LooseChanj posted:

I honestly can't tell if you're being ironic or not here.

I am, but I honestly expect it to get extended again since corporate environments are so amazingly lovely about upgrading.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I am, but I honestly expect it to get extended again since corporate environments are so amazingly lovely about upgrading.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ytech_wguy/20100713/tc_ytech_wguy/ytech_wguy_tc3106

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The article doesn't surprise me, but the horde of comments praising XP as the one true OS are incredible.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Golbez posted:

Thanks, though I just wanted to find out if I could train Windows Quick Search, which I doubt those programs do...

Launchy absolutely does learn.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maluco Marinero posted:

The article doesn't surprise me, but the horde of comments praising XP as the one true OS are incredible.

Here's a fun fact: WIndows XP didn't hit its height of usage until JANUARY 2007! That's right, it was still growing until then.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

fishmech posted:

Here's a fun fact: WIndows XP didn't hit its height of usage until JANUARY 2007! That's right, it was still growing until then.

I really hope I see the day where Vista is hitting the end of its support life and you see a bunch of lunatics posting comments about how Vista is so much better than Win7 and they'll never leave.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

I work at a university that's still on XP, but after a lot of talking and showing my bosses Windows 7 in a remote desktop session to my home computer, they're actually working on building a Windows 7 image to roll out within the next year. The thing that finally pushed them over was MS removing the restriction for XP mode on processors without virtualization.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We aren't rolling out Windows 7 until HP stops allowing us to downgrade to XP.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

We aren't rolling out Windows 7 until Dell stops allowing us to downgrade to XP.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

I tried that and it did not work. I thought I read it wrong and that it can't be that it has to have .v2 even if there is no XP profile, what the hell Microsoft. Soon we'll get some computers capable of actually running 7 since the stuff we have available right now are very old and somehow we have no DVD drives to stick in them and the Win 7 computer we had has been imaged over already and in use for something else. :argh:

If I find Novell is causing even more issues I'll vomit.

Edit: Because we don't have enough money/don't care we are going to do 7 on new installs only, which occurs only when a computer breaks. We'll be on XP forever. If we ever go to virtual desktops we'll never leave XP.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 15, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
A while back I posted here (I think) about hardware interrupts causing CPU core #4 to stick to 100%. If I'm browsing and checking my email, it never happens. However, the instant I play games, it acts up. The odd thing is that it'll usually start doing it after I stop playing. Anyway, I tried a combination of audio/driver/network drivers and nothing seemed to fix it.

Using some Windows 7 SDK tools and a guide, I managed to trace it down to ACPI.sys. From what I gather, this is a power management thing, so it makes sense that it would act up whenever I'm doing something system-intensive that would require more juice. However, I'm at a loss about what to do to fix it. Disabling ACPI in my BIOS just makes Windows freeze when I boot up (as the four lights combine to form the Windows logo, specifically).

I see a few ACPI-related things in Device Manager; there are the two at the top of the list and then further down there are two Microsoft ACPI drivers:

I'm wondering if the two at the top would be in conflict with the two bottom ones, but I'm unsure what would happen if I disabled either. I never had issues until a few months ago and back then it happened less frequently, so it's hard to pinpoint exactly when it started.

For what it's worth, putting the computer to sleep does not fix it, but pressing my power button to make it hibernate and then waking it up immediately does fix it (until I play a game again or something).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So maybe this isn't the right place to ask but I'm hoping someone might have an idea.

Ever since building my new system and installing Win7 I've had issues with my router dropping my connection once or twice a day. I've never had an issue with this router before and made sure I installed the latest network drivers from Gigabyte.

Are there any other configuration settings that maybe I'm overlooking in troubleshooting it in Win7?

I guess my next step is buying a new router but I haven't even had this Linksys a year yet.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
How do I make windows reboot but re-open any programs I had open at the time, like folders and pdfs and poo poo

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Hung Yuri posted:

How do I make windows reboot but re-open any programs I had open at the time, like folders and pdfs and poo poo

Sleep.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

IT Guy posted:

Sleep.

That's not what I was looking for. Setpoint wants me to restart (to update the program) but I hate restarting my computer.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Hung Yuri posted:

Try shutdown -g.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Launchy absolutely does learn.

I didn't say "I doubt they learn", I said "I doubt they train Windows Quick Search."

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

Is there a way to make power plans changeable through the tray on a desktop? I might have found a temporary fix for my ACPI interrupts. I want to try going to High Performance while playing games and then back down to Balanced when I'm not, but it's annoying to go through the CP every time. This is mostly just short-term until I have time to try a reinstall of Windows (which I'm probably due for soon).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Parachute Underwear posted:

Is there a way to make power plans changeable through the tray on a desktop? I might have found a temporary fix for my ACPI interrupts. I want to try going to High Performance while playing games and then back down to Balanced when I'm not, but it's annoying to go through the CP every time. This is mostly just short-term until I have time to try a reinstall of Windows (which I'm probably due for soon).

Simply enable the power tray icon, after you do that its one left click on the icon and you get a menu to switch between balanced and high performance or balanced and power saver, depending on which power plans you use most.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

fishmech posted:

Simply enable the power tray icon, after you do that its one left click on the icon and you get a menu to switch between balanced and high performance or balanced and power saver, depending on which power plans you use most.

It's greyed out so I can't enable the icon. My workaround for now is to keep a desktop shortcut to Power Options (can't create a taskbar shortcut to specific CP items--this is dumb).

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Parachute Underwear posted:

(can't create a taskbar shortcut to specific CP items--this is dumb).

Toolbars, they are your friends.

Also, I believe there's a command line thingy to do what you want. Oh hey: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28WS.10%29.aspx

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LooseChanj fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jul 17, 2010

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Toolbars, they are your friends.

Also, I believe there's a command line thingy to do what you want. Oh hey: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748940%28WS.10%29.aspx

Thanks, but the desktop shortcut thing works for now. Oddly enough, hardware interrupts have reduce to 0 so far, so I'm chalking it up to some sort of gently caress-up whenever I quit games and ACPI doesn't know to clock my CPU back down. Will try a format when I've got time.

QWin15
Oct 25, 2004
It's tough to say which thread this question belongs to, but I'll just stick it in this one.

I'm having troubles accessing my mac book pros shared files on my windows 7 pc. My windows 7 pc can see all of the other pc's on my network and access files and what not, but it doesn't see my mac book pro. My mac book pro doesn't see anything at all on the network, but if i apple+k and type in the ip i'm interested in, I can get access to my windows 7 files.

I've tried doing the same on my windows 7 pc, typing in smb:\\ip-addy but have had no luck. Any ideas what i'm doing wrong?

Thanks for help in advance.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Are they both in the same workgroup?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Im not sure where I should post this but, Im having trouble getting mySQL running with IIS7.

The service IS running but I cant connect to any databases through my wordpress install or phpmyadmin. Or should I move this over to the home server thread? I, just using plain ol Win7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

rugbert posted:

Im not sure where I should post this but, Im having trouble getting mySQL running with IIS7.

The service IS running but I cant connect to any databases through my wordpress install or phpmyadmin. Or should I move this over to the home server thread? I, just using plain ol Win7

Are you able to open up the mySQL command line interface and run commands?

Are you connecting to the databases using localhost (you should be)?