Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Rey Mysterio debuted at PPV, but I only know he did it WCW.

Mysterious Straight Edge Stranger appeared a few months ago, in CM Punk's vs Rey Hair vs. Nothing Really match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sionistic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxr9pZwwSMA

in maffew's intro, who is that saying 5 stars

It's Dave Meltzer saying MINUS FIVE STARS. I forget what it's in reference to, though.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Nah that's Bryan Alvarez talking about Jenna/Sharmell.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord

Sionistic posted:

Sounds like Bryan Alvarez.

Edit: beaten like a Benoit

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sionistic posted:

Minus 5 stars and it's Bryan Alvarez

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Quick Question - What is with almost every wrestling promotion starting up an invasion angle at the same time?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Quick Question - What is with almost every wrestling promotion starting up an invasion angle at the same time?

Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Monkey See, Monkey Do.

Who was first out of the gate? Wasn't it AAA?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lone Rogue posted:

Who was first out of the gate? Wasn't it AAA?

I don't know. But that's just how it works in wrestling - one company does something so they all do it. Remember all of the nWo copycats?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

With the exception of TNA it is basically just a big coincidence. AAA had been working on bringing the Perros in for months. CMLL is a bit desperate and trying a bunch of different things including their half asses former AAA midcarders invasion.

TNA's ECW invasion post dates the start of the other invasions, but even that seems to have more to do with TNA's obsession with the late 90s than just bandwagoning.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MassRayPer posted:

TNA's ECW invasion
:ughh: seriously?? I don't mean to derail but wow, the last time I saw any TNA they mentioned "WWE" and "Bret Hart" about five times in one segment. It's truly astonishing how obsessed they are with rehashing history from other companies.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think TNA's ECW invasion has been in development since before the Nexus angle started. They were trying to get Heyman, but they haven't yet, so they're going for it without him.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
An invasion angle is just an easy way to have a very clearly defined faces vs heels storyline over an extended period of time.

I mean, even Chikara has an invasion storyline with the DBK thing. Not sure if they have finished it yet though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

I think TNA's ECW invasion has been in development since before the Nexus angle started. They were trying to get Heyman, but they haven't yet, so they're going for it without him.

I think their attempts to get Heyman post date the start of the Nexus Invasion. Everything seemed in motion to work towards Hogan vs Abyss until after that point and then TNA seemed like they wanted to get away from Hogan, or Hogan wants to get away from TNA.

I feel like they started courting Heyman just before they had the ECW guys start appearing in the stands and came up with the ECW invasion then.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rusty Shackelford posted:

I don't know. But that's just how it works in wrestling - one company does something so they all do it. Remember all of the nWo copycats?

Of course. The Corporation/Corporate Ministry and The Network were the two biggest ones. And yeah, I consider the Network to be ECW's nWo because the bWo was more of a parody group.

There were also stupid ones like the NWA Invasion that never properly happened, or the '97 WWF ECW Invasion that was more just a way to promote ECW. WWF had a lot of terrible nWo copycats.

That said, I'm gonna wait to pass judgment on the ECW/TNA because it seems like they want to do their own One Night Stand, not rip off the Nexus.

Beasley
Sep 20, 2008

You better get ready to die.
Who would you all say are the best heel tag teams?

Comedy/Serious?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Beasley posted:

Comedy/Serious?

The Midnight Express.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Beasley posted:

Comedy/Serious?

New Age Outlaws got some mega heat back in their "No music, coming down the ramp trash talking their opponents" stage.

And, of course, ECW Dudleyz.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Beasley posted:

Comedy/Serious?

The Brain Busters

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The Gangstas in Smoky Mountain.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

The Gangstas in Smoky Mountain.

The Gangstas in SMW are one of the few clear cut example of "go away" heat. They hurt gates when they came in because they went so far over the line that people did not want to see them.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

MassRayPer posted:

The Gangstas in SMW are one of the few clear cut example of "go away" heat. They hurt gates when they came in because they went so far over the line that people did not want to see them.

It was brilliant that they only had to get a two count because of affirmative action.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

I just call that being "ahead of their time". :smug:

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?

MassRayPer posted:

They were great in SMW. Way ahead of there time. Being surrounded by a bunch of idiot rednecks only made their gimmick better. Its amazing hearing New Jack in his YouShoot interview praise the R&R Express on teaching him the psychology of wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DMPunk posted:

They were great in SMW. Way ahead of there time. Being surrounded by a bunch of idiot rednecks only made their gimmick better. Its amazing hearing New Jack in his YouShoot interview praise the R&R Express on teaching him the psychology of wrestling.

They hurt SMW's business. It may entertain you in retrospect, but by that fact alone they were not great in SMW. There were some good ideas, but in the end it was a failure.

DMPunk
Jan 25, 2010

Not to be a dick, and being a guy I have no idea what she must be going thru, but its been like 6 months since she lost her baby. How much time do you need exactly?

MassRayPer posted:

They hurt SMW's business. It may entertain you in retrospect, but by that fact alone they were not great in SMW. There were some good ideas, but in the end it was a failure.

I am no SMW expert, but they weren't doing gangbusters before and after the Gangstas were there.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DMPunk posted:

I am no SMW expert, but they weren't doing gangbusters before and after the Gangstas were there.

Cornette did a recent history of SMW show with Alvarez and specifically went over why the Gangstas just didn't work in SMW. He thought it was a great idea at the time, it looked to be getting huge heat, but it got the wrong kind of heat. I'll trust the word of the guy who ran the company and was very honest and detailed about the business end of SMW.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Beasley posted:

Comedy/Serious?

Midnight Express, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Road Warriors, Wild Samoans, Brain Busters

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Cornette did a recent history of SMW show with Alvarez and specifically went over why the Gangstas just didn't work in SMW. He thought it was a great idea at the time, it looked to be getting huge heat, but it got the wrong kind of heat. I'll trust the word of the guy who ran the company and was very honest and detailed about the business end of SMW.

It's possible that he isn't happy with New Jack claiming him to be a bit of a racist, but I wouldn't doubt it if all of these redneck dipshits stopped buying tickets to SMW because the Gangstas were big and mean.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

With WWE and AAA it was a coincidence. TNA's just late to the party but if you read the spoilers for next week's show, It's not an invasion at all. That was a RUSSO SWERVE! Dixie invited them and is giving them one PPV to say goodbye. They're not even heels which is why Bubba didn't join with them and they turned on Abyss, who's the only heel.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Didn't Abyss say that "they" won't be happy with the ECW thing? I don't think they were supposed to be his voices.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Lone Rogue posted:

Didn't Abyss say that "they" won't be happy with the ECW thing? I don't think they were supposed to be his voices.

The swerve is that IWA:MS are "they"! ECW vs IWA:MS vs TNA -- the dream feud right there.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

ChikoDemono posted:

The swerve is that IWA:MS are "they"! ECW vs IWA:MS vs TNA -- the dream feud right there.

That'll be way better than the CZW vs ROH feud, holy poo poo.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Lone Rogue posted:

It's possible that he isn't happy with New Jack claiming him to be a bit of a racist, but I wouldn't doubt it if all of these redneck dipshits stopped buying tickets to SMW because the Gangstas were big and mean.

I'm pretty sure they made up.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I personally like the Dudebusters for comedy heels. And Kozlov/Zeke only lasted a few months, but they were IMPOSING in the ring. It was always a battle to get them off their feet. (The key was to trick Ezekial into an elbow drop, because he missed like 90% of those).

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Beasley posted:

The best ones that I've seen have already been mentioned, but my faves are The Brain Busters. I think anyone wanting to learn heel tag team psychology should just watch a bunch of their matches and they'll be 100x better.

They haven't been mentioned but supposedly the Andersons (Gene & Ole) were a really great heel tag team and they didn't cheat. They would just beat the poo poo out of guys, doing a bunch of quick tags, until the crowd got livid and hated them.

Lone Rogue posted:

At the end of the New Jack Youshoot he shows up at Cornette's Guest Booker taping and they shoot the poo poo and bury the hatchet.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Does anyone else have Time Warner digital? I have like 700 channels including the sports and HD channels and WWE smackdown isn't listed for any of them nor is mynetworktv a channel on it. I even looked through the affiliate channels for Smackdown's timeslot and it isn't listed anywhere. Just recently got it and I'm having no luck finding the show.

It'd help bring up viewers if they were on a station people actually have.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Does anyone else have Time Warner digital? I have like 700 channels including the sports and HD channels and WWE smackdown isn't listed for any of them nor is mynetworktv a channel on it. I even looked through the affiliate channels for Smackdown's timeslot and it isn't listed anywhere. Just recently got it and I'm having no luck finding the show.

It'd help bring up viewers if they were on a station people actually have.

Is it possible they list MyNetworkTV as MyTV? You might be able to check the lineup here: http://www.timewarnercable.com/East/learn/cable/channellineup.html

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

Cactus Jack posted:

The best ones that I've seen have already been mentioned, but my faves are The Brain Busters. I think anyone wanting to learn heel tag team psychology should just watch a bunch of their matches and they'll be 100x better.

They haven't been mentioned but supposedly the Andersons (Gene & Ole) were a really great heel tag team and they didn't cheat. They would just beat the poo poo out of guys, doing a bunch of quick tags, until the crowd got livid and hated them.

At the end of the New Jack Youshoot he shows up at Cornette's Guest Booker taping and they shoot the poo poo and bury the hatchet.

I mentioned the Brain Busters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for the link Strenuous Manflurry - this is what it gave me (If it'll show you the same lineup that I got with this link I dunno)

Edit: Disregard - found it. Thanks to those that helped.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 17, 2010