Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

morestuff posted:

Paths of Glory - Kubrick's typical eye for detail and flair shows up here in spades. Not that he didn't do a fantastic job in color, as well, but his black and white cinematography blew me away in both this and The Killing. Are any of his movies prior to this one worth tracking down?

Killer's Kiss is decent, but you're not missing much. I've never seen the earlier films, but I've never heard anything good about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
I finally got around to watching Casablanca, which was assigned to me all the way back on page 1. Peaceful Anarchy, I'm catching you up! Also, you watch Greed because it sounds like you're really thrilled about it.

Casablanca is such a dense and richly populated film that it's a treat to just spend some time in Rick's cafe. I could see myself watching the film repeatedly just to experience that again. So much stuff happens in that drat place. There are so many characters coming and going and the omnipresent Captain Renault (Claude Rains) who is always where he is least wanted at any given time. It sags somewhat in the second act, but soon gets back on its feet and into its breakneck pace until the thrilling conclusion. I wish I'd watched this a lot sooner.

I've decided my list wasn't really suitably formatted so I'm going to do this properly.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind I've heard this is some kind of work of perfection, so I'm not sure why I never bothered with it.

The Third Man Another one that is universally raved about that I just never bothered with for some reason.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

FitFortDanga posted:

Killer's Kiss is decent, but you're not missing much. I've never seen the earlier films, but I've never heard anything good about them.

Killer's Kiss has some decent cinematography and there are parts that are actually pretty great in a rough sort of way (the chase across the rooftop and the mannequin fight are the two that stuck with me). Fear And Desire I haven't actually seen all the way through, mostly because the only copy available is the one on Google Video, which looks like someone's applied a neon-edge filter to it. The shorts are okay (he copies most of Day Of The Fight in the opening of Killer's Kiss), but unless you're a completist anything before Killer's Kiss isn't really worth watching.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Fear And Desire I haven't actually seen all the way through

Don't. It's pretty horrible and amateurish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

watch The Third Man, preferably right now.

I'll start with five films from the TSPDT top-25 I haven't seen.

The Rules of the Game
Want to see this.
Bicycle Thieves
I know the plot summary (I think practically everyone with an interest in film does), and read articles about this, which has kept me from actually seeing the movie
Vertigo
No excuse for this.
Sunrise
Know nothing about this other than the critical acclaim.
Rashomon
Probably the last classic Kurosawa film I haven't seen. Love the rest.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dolemite - Okay, it's better than Petey Wheatstraw, at least. It would be difficult to enumerate all the ways this movie is bad, but it does tend more towards the "so bad it's good" variety. Which can be entertaining, and there is a sort of gloriousness to the amateur writing, acting, and production. However, I don't find Rudy Ray Moore's schtick very funny, and there are a number of dull patches. And "so bad it's good" is still... well, bad. Kind of fun, not as fun as I'd hoped for. Rating: 5

And I'm bowing out the rotation for now. I've got like 15 movies to watch at the moment, plus season 2 of "Breaking Bad". I might hop back in later, if it's still going.

JayBulworth
Apr 1, 2010
Despite being a bit of a nerd, I've never seen:

The Original Star Wars Trilogy - I feel like I've seen enough of them that I get the point of the story.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Went to the theater for each film. Fell asleep half way through for each film.

Every single Star Trek movie except for the last one - The only Star Trek franchise I ever followed was Deep Space 9 and that cast never got a movie.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

JayBulworth posted:

Despite being a bit of a nerd, I've never seen:

The Original Star Wars Trilogy - I feel like I've seen enough of them that I get the point of the story.

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Went to the theater for each film. Fell asleep half way through for each film.

Every single Star Trek movie except for the last one - The only Star Trek franchise I ever followed was Deep Space 9 and that cast never got a movie.
You're doing it wrong. Choose a movie for that fag boy up there.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?
I'm just going to assume that JayBulworth has no idea what's going on, and give Fab Boy Jim Bicycle Thieves

As for Grapes of Wrath, thanks for finally giving me this one. I've seen a couple other Fords, and this one is definitely my favorite so far. I've always had a fascination with depression era America, and I love this story and how John Ford told it. The shot towards the end with Tom walking up the hill in the distance was amazing, and I love the final scene when they're driving into Fresno and Ma's explaining how she's not scared anymore. I will say though that I think this is one instance when I would not be upset to see a remake. Only because there were several things the studio wouldn't let Ford put in the movie because of decency.

Ok, new list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The General I've never seen any Buster Keaton.

Les Enfants du Paradis I don't know anything about this movie.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

tokillthesunflower posted:

The General I've never seen any Buster Keaton.

I'm interested to see how you like The General. It's on my netflix queue, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. I also haven't seen any Buster Keaton movies.

I watched Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? It was fantastic. It reminded me of Stephen King's book Misery, only the character being held captive isn't loved by the captor. The movie does a really good job of making Jane into a realistic and frightening character. I enjoyed it from start to finish.

My list:
1)The Man Who Wasn't There - I love the Coen brothers. This movie has been on my instant queue for a while but I haven't sat down to watch it yet. Looks great.
2)Infernal Affairs - I loved Scorsese's The Departed, which is adapted from this movie. I've heard from several people on this forum that it is actually better than The Departed.
3) In Cold Blood - Have heard this is good, but it's not a movie the girlfriend would enjoy and we usually watch movies together.
4) The Last Temptation of Christ - I love Scorsese, and this is one of the few movies he's put out that I haven't seen.
5) Rob Roy - A friend tells me that I'd really like this movie. Liam Neeson doesn't disappoint, so I should probably listen to him.
6) The Killing - I tend to enjoy Kubrick's work. Haven't seen this or Lolita and would like to at some point.
7) The Third Man - I've heard from several people that this is a great story. I'd like to see it sometime.
8) The Lady Vanishes or anything else Hitchcock - I've seen Psycho and Vertigo, but I really want to see some other stuff by him.
9) THX 1138 - I've had this on my netflix instant queue for a while, but haven't gotten around to watching it. I like those space movies that this guy made later on. I also haven't seen American Graffiti, so that could go in here.
10) M - Sounds interesting. It has been on my instant queue for a while.

Finally watched: Battlefield Earth (don't watch this), Seven Samurai, The Seventh Seal, Dawn of the Dead, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Jolo: Infernal Affairs. If you liked The Departed, I'm positive you'll like it. And it's different enough that you won't feel its a retread. Very well put-together film.

I watched Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? I can't say I cared for it outside of the acting; the entire subplot and/or main plot of the fake son around which they fashioned games didn't intrigue me. The often witty dialogue was interesting, but not engaging or relatable. Similar to a screenplay by Mamet, you're just never going to meet people that talk like this. However, after finishing it, I read a theory that both Nick and Honey are possibly imaginary which would probably elevate the film to one of the best films I've ever seen based on (1) sheer originality and (2) the fact that THAT would be a drat difficult game. Doesn't seem reasonable, though, that this is even remotely true. All things considered, just above average for me I am afraid.

Updated List:

It's a Wonderful Life - Tier 10
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Going to try to stick with a theme as I cross movies off. Kind of easy with both Capra and Stewart.

Singing in the Rain - Tier 9
Dancer in the Dark - I have seen one von Trier movie, which I thoroughly hated. However, I believe this film will be a bit more accessible, so I'll give him another try I suppose. I've also wanted to see this movie for a while, but never had occasion to watch it.

On the Waterfront - Tier 9
A Streetcar Named Desire - Brando, Malden, Kazan, and Ms. O'Hara. The title strikes me as a bit feminine, which is probably why I haven't had any desire to see this movie.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God - Tier 8
The Elephant Man - David Lynch done good on this one I hear.

The Graduate - Tier 9
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? - Tier 7
A Man for All Seasons - Also based on a play, this beat Virginia Woolf in nearly every category in the Oscars en route to a near-sweep of its categories. Surely must be good. This wasn't ever on my RADAR, and I have no clue what it's about outside of characters, but now I'm looking forward to it.

Stand by Me - Until a couple of months ago I wasn't aware that there was a movie titled Stand by Me; I had only heard the title in reference to the song on the oldies station. Apparently it's not only a movie, but one that many people like.

8 1/2 - Tier 9
Amarcord - Tier 7
Nights of Cabiria - Would like to continue with the Fellini filmography (feel free to recommend an alternate Fellini work!).

Ed Wood - Tier 9
Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - I've seen the peyote episode of Sopranos, so I'm not sure if watching this would be a bit redundant.

The Last Waltz - Directed by Scorsese, but the fact that much of the focus is on music performances hasn't ever turned me on to this documentary (should I be in the mood to listen to music, watch a movie, or do both?)

City Lights - Never had any interest in watching this movie, but I gather it's rather brilliant for the times (or any time).

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Arkane, see A Streetcar Named Desire. Sooner rather than later.

Jaws was an outstanding and meticulously crafted thriller. I was iffy about it, since it began the blockbuster trend, but this hit all the right notes. The characters were well-acted and interesting, and the shark genuinely gave me a few scares, even though Marty was right, it did look kind of fake.

1. Jaws- Yes, I know, I haven't seen the first big summer movie. I just never felt like watching it, and I think it's number one hundred something in my Netflix queue.

2. The Princess Bride- What I've seen from it I've found hilarious, and the cast is made up of people I love, but I have yet to watch the whole thing.

3. Terminator 2: Judgment Day- 1, 3, and 4 I have watched, but what many call the best film in the saga remains a mystery to me.

4. Ghostbusters- Comedy classic that I know next to nothing about. I want to keep it that way until I watch the movie, a movie I definitely should have seen years ago. Pretty terrible that I've seen Casper but not this.

5. Saving Private Ryan- Look I know that this is supposed to be an outing of shame, but it's getting really difficult to reveal these oversights.

6. Aliens- Only seen the original and Resurrection, and it was a very long time ago that I even watched those two.

7. The Great Escape- Fell asleep about thirty minutes in when it was on TV, because I'd been working all day. Time to fix that error.

8. 8 1/2- It's coming up in my queue, but I could always use a little extra incentive. I'm woefully uneducated in Fellini, so I need to bone up.

R. Guyovich fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 14, 2010

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

RussianGuyovich you should watch Aliens. In my opinion it's Cameron's best film, a hell of an action film and all round good fun.

I finally got to watch Rashomon, my first Kurosawa, which is such a beautifully shot film. If I had to pick one scene out of the film it'd be the fight scene as told by the woodcutter, brilliantly choreographed and shot and I loved how pathetic it looked after the other interpretations of it. Mifune put in an amazing performance as The Bandit as well, I'll probably make my way through all of his and Kurosawa's collaborations as soon as I can get my hands on them. I'm kind of glad that so far "the classics" that I've seen have managed to live up to their status.

Updated List:

quote:

01: Apocalypse Now - I've only recently started to really get interested in war films and this name always seems to be high on war film lists.

02: Blade Runner - I own Blade Runner: The Final Cut on Blu Ray. Is this the best version? No idea but I count Alien as one of my favourite films so I have no idea why I haven't seen this before.

03: Don't Look Now - I saw the last hour of this when I was 13 and the final scene terrified me. Never managed to get around to watching the whole thing.

04: Hard Candy - Does this belong in a shameful or great movie list? While I know it's a divisive movie most people I know really like it and I really enjoyed Slade's work on 30 Days of Night.

05: Hausu - The hype for this film has been going around for the last while. Bought the DVD, never watched.

06: Inland Empire - The only film by Lynch I've seen is Blue Velvet and I love it. No excuse not to have seen this by now.

07: Lady Vengeance - I loved Oldboy but haven't seen Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance. I hear conflicting accounts over whether this is the best in the series.

08: Mullholland Drive - Same reason as Inland Empire.

09: Raging Bull - After watching Shutter Island earlier in the year I realised I hadn't seen half as many Scorsese films as I thought I had.

Watched Films - Eastern Promises // The Big Lebowski // Rashomon //

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Falling asleep during The Great Escape is downright unpatriotic :911:

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Arkane posted:

Falling asleep during The Great Escape is downright unpatriotic :911:

This is true if you're British too.

Mollsmolyneux
Feb 7, 2008

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched "Star Trek?"
Good Lord
Waterhaul you should watch Blade Runner. Fantastic Sci-Fi. And yes the Final Cut is the best one, the other has a crappy ending that I think is on The Final Cut DVD somewhere.

My List

1)The Prestige - My friends recommend it to me continually, I believe its my Christopher Nolan and I remember reading all his films have been met with critical acclaim.

2)Borat - Never really appealed to me at first looked like a bit of stupid comedy film, but now I really want to see it.

3) Brazil - Remember watching a greatest film countdown with this in, I was intrigued and decided I wanted to see it, never got around to it. Plus Michael Palin.

4) Monty Python Holy Grail - Really like Life of Brian and wanted to see this one, never got around to it.

5) Monty Python Meaning of Life - Same as above.

6) Godfather Trilogy - Really no excuse her, my mums favourite films so have been in my house on DVD for a year. Never watched them.

7) Alien - Film always recommended to me by friends. Enjoy Sci-Fi and there are so many references to this in TV shows I watch.

8) The Shining - Never really liked horror, but once again this meant to be fantastic. Stanley Kubrick and Jack Nickelson!!!

9) The Pianist - Started watching it in History in Year 11 at High School never saw the rest. Similar to Schindler's List?

10) Ghostbusters - Seems really cheesy but still want to see it. People cannot believe I haven't seen this film.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

This is true if you're British too.

What about people who aren't British, American or Australian?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Vagabundo posted:

What about people who aren't British, American or Australian?

Who cares about those guys?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mollsmolyneux, there's nothing in your list that I really feel compelled to recommend so I'll pick The Godfather Trilogy, or at least the first two, because it should make your mom happy and they are very good films.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Also, you watch Greed because it sounds like you're really thrilled about it.
I assume this was sarcastic but I was more excited to see it than my ambivalent description might indicate and boy did it deliver. In fact I have so many thoughts going through my head about it that I don't really know where to start. Every von Stroheim film I watch makes me sad that the guy had his films systematically butchered by the studios and this one even more so because it is a serious candidate for best film ever. I watched the 4 hour reconstruction which is basically the surviving 2 hour cut of the film with stills and title cards inserted throughout and I can't imagine how the two hour version must be to watch. It's odd to watch a film this way but I must say the creative decision to pan through the stills to give them a little life works really well, even if it stands out against the fixed camera tradition of the moving film.

The story is a fantastic tale of the tragedy of obsessive greed, and even at four hours it's really quite briskly paced with an awful lot of narrative content to keep you watching and thinking. It's hard to judge the performances when so much of the film is stills but they seem pretty good to me, Gibson Gowland and Zasu Pitts as the two leads especially, as their characters undergo various transformations throughout the film. Visually again it's hard to judge the film, but one thing that stood out as very effective is the colouring of all the gold in the film. Also the only colour scene in the film being the sweet old couple is very telling.

What really makes this rise to the top, though, is the way it depicts the slow corruption of money in a way that is perfectly smooth. The differences between where the characters start and end is astounding, but the transition is so smooth no actions ever seem out of place. I'd love to see the 8 1/2 hour original cut if it mad the transition even more natural. If Napoleon is the climax of silent films in terms of visual technique then this is the climax of silent characterization. It reminds tonally of There Will be Blood even if the films go about things in rather different ways. You have not seen the pinnacle of silent films if you haven't seen this. Go and find a way to watch it, all of you.

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

Ceddo I want to see more African films, I think I've only seen two in my life.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

Hoop Dreams I really don't watch many documentaries, this is one of the few I own and haven't seen. I hear it's really good, but it's also 3 hours and about basketball, not a subject I care much about.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10, Greed 10/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Peaceful Anarchy you should watch Hoop Dreams, I've seen bits of it and it's a great documentary. In fact I need to watch the whole thing myself, speaking of shameful.

I don't know how to put One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I've never really seen a movie quite like it other than maybe Cool Hand Luke. The movie does a great job of staying intriguing all the way through. I don't think I ever felt myself getting bored. Good recommendation, good watch.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6. Godfather Part I - I've heard the quotes, know the basis, and know the actors, but not much beyond that.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Have never seen a Spike Lee film.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ok marioinblack, I'm going to recommend Godfather Part I to you too.

Hoop Dreams is really good. Sometimes the filmmakers go for the emotions a little too much, but but a lot of it is inherent in the material and I think they do a pretty good job of letting the audience make up their own minds. A film this is special not because it tells you something you didn't know, but because it makes you see it with your own eyes. Even though it's 3 hours it engaged me more than anything I've seen in a while, and that includes some great films. The most amazing thing is that, reading the booklet with the DVD which updates what happened to their lives, a whole other film could be made about how their lives continued.

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

The Burmese Harp and Fires on the Plain I've owned these for like 2 years but fear they'll depress me.

Woodstock I didn't even know this existed until someone posted it in this thread, sounds like something I should watch, though 4 hours seems a bit much.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Éloge de l'amour I've decided to watch some more contemporary Godard, this one seems well praised. We'll see.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione - 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The Burmese Harp

Your entire list depresses me, because I haven't heard of a single one of those movies. So you get to be depressed too.

The General was really really good. I thought the first 30 minutes or so to be kind of slow, but once he gets his lady love back, and they make for the southern lines it really picks up steam. I didn't find Keaton as charming as Chaplin at first (is it even fair to compare the two?), but he grew on me in the last half of the film. His physicality alone is incredible. Good lord. My only (very small) complaint is that some of the music sounded like it came from a Final Fantasy game.

New list, do your worst (or best, preferably):

A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

Les Enfants du Paradis I don't know anything about this movie.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Your entire list depresses me, because I haven't heard of a single one of those movies. So you get to be depressed too.

If this was your criteria then I'm very thankful you didn't pick Shoah.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Surely you've heard of Woodstock, no?

Shoah isn't so much a "cry your eyes out" movie as is it a "crawl into a corner and want to die" movie.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

FitFortDanga posted:

Surely you've heard of Woodstock, no?

Nope, I hadn't until now, but I'm certainly going to add it to my 'watch as soon as possible' list.

I actually have heard of Berlin Alexanderplatz, but only because of CineD (probably only because of Peaceful Anarchy in this thread), so I didn't count it.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If this was your criteria then I'm very thankful you didn't pick Shoah.

After reading the synopsis on IMDB, yeah, I'm glad I didn't choose this either. I don't want to be known as the goon who caused Peaceful Anarchy to kill himself. :smith:

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
tokillthesunflower: watch Les Enfants du Paradis. I don't really know anyone else who's seen it but it's a very good movie. It's also kind of amazing it was made during Nazi occupation too.

So I watched Audition and I really didn't care for it. I don't necessarily have any problem with graphic violence, but I don't really know what the point of it was in this movie other than shock value. The first half of the movie was interesting, but then it really seemed to go off the rails in the second half. Maybe I just didn't get it. Let's just say it doesn't encourage me to seek out anything else by Miike.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy - I thought about just sticking the first one in here, but what the hell I guess I'll go for all three. I don't plan on marathoning through them all, though. I don't really know much about these, except that they're supposed to be really good and that they're French/Polish co-productions (or something like that). I've never seen anything by Kieslowski

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo - I've never seen anything by Jodorowsky and I don't really know anything about this one, except it's supposed to be weird as hell so I figure it's as good of a place to start as any

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul - I've never seen any Fassbinder, and he seems to have gotten some play in this thread. I'd like to get into the New German Cinema beyond just Herzog, too.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Why hadn't I heard about Shoah before? Jesus loving Christ. :cry:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dotCommunism I was going to choose Les Enfants du Paradis for tokillthesunflower as well. I'll give you Three Colors Trilogy because they are very beautiful films. There's no need to marathon film each film is entirely self contained, the connections are mostly thematic and a few little references here and there.

The Burmese Harp was definitely somber and very sad but luckily not quite depressing. The musical motif works very well with the film's style and themes to make the whole thing very poetic and lyrical. It doesn't set out out to shock or depress it's audience with the horrors of war but simply to portray a soldier's emotional reaction to them, and it does this very well. This has been a very good day for movies so far, even if they've made me kind of sad.

Updated list:

Fires on the Plain I've owned this for like 2 years but fear it'll depress me.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Die Nibelungen Since I've watched the silents that were on my list I'll put this one on here. I think it's the most well regarded of the silents I haven't seen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

gently caress, I really gotta get around to The Departed.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
poo poo, PA, that one only took four hours. Is that a record for you?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Someone needs to give him Berlin Alexanderplatz already, just to slow him down. Then Shoah.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
^edit: Wish I'd seen your post before I made mine.^

Peaceful Anarchy, watch Éloge de l'amour, I haven't seen it but Godard is my favorite of the French New Wave. I'm slightly embarrased because when I looked up the film I realized that not only was he not dead, he has a new movie coming out and according to wikipedia he is thinking about directing a movie about the holocaust.

Paris, Texas: I actually watched this several days ago, and just didn't get around to writing about it. Just a beautiful film, and I really loved the ending sequence with Travis talking. [spoiler]The shot where Jane approaches the mirrored window and we see Travis' head super-imposed was especially affecting.[/spolier] I was a little leary of the length, and while it sometimes felt slow, it didn't particularily feel long when I was watching it, if that makes any sense. And penismightier, you were right about the slide-guitar.

Updated list, this time with ten movies. All of these are on watch instantly on netflix, except the last one, incase anyone else wants to see them:
Brokeback Mountain: Somehow avoided this when it came out, I think I figured my liberal upbringing would have made it a little redundant.
Revanche: Hadn't heard of it until netflix told me I'd love it.
High and Low: Kurosawa movie based on a detective novel, sounds good, I've never seen any of his non-period piece movies.
The Last Picture Show: I don't know anything about this movie, something to do with a movie house closing down?
Children of Paradise: I keep confusing this movie with City of lost children, which is dumb. (My confusion, not the movie.)
Metropolitan: No real explanation for not seeing this, the description makes it seem like something I'd enjoy.
Scarface (1932): I gather the DePalma has very little to do with this movie, and I haven't seen any 30's gangster movies in awhile, and almost no pre-code ones I don't think.
The Rules of the Game: I've never seen any Jean Renoir.
Charade: I saw the god-awful remake on an airplane years ago, "I know let's remake a Cary Grant movie, but who could we cast in the lead? Of course, it's so obvious, Mark Wahlberg." I assume this is better.
Robocop: I bought the dvd at a video clearence, haven't seen it since I was about 8 years old and all the Verhoeven love on the forums makes me curious.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

poo poo, PA, that one only took four hours. Is that a record for you?

I don't know, it could be, most of the other films I've watched have been pretty long. The movie's only two hours and I've been itching to watch it for a while, and I got my recommendation pretty quick. If someone gives me Shoah I'll probably take a while to watch it because I'm not in the mood for that right now.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl watch High and Low it's quite good.

Godard is a pretentious rear end in a top hat, he's also clearly a smart man, a talented filmmaker and unwilling to elaborate on any of the dozen ideas thrown into this film. The film is strewn with half explained philosophical ideas, literary, filmic and cultural references and a story that doesn't develop in any meaningful way because it's really just a framework for Godard's rambling. In fairness, all of this stuff actually comes together in a rather coherent way, Godard's points, while mostly unsupported either by facts or emotional resonance, have some kind of substance that gives the viewer something to think about. I like some of the stuff Godard brings up, but it's surrounded by a lot of stuff I disagree with, or at least see no reason to consider seriously. It's funny that when the thrust of the film is a screed against cultural co-opting of history by the U.S. he himself borrows liberally from others to make his half-assed point. In short this film kind of annoyed me, but in a somewhat interesting way so I give it some credit. I would love for someone else to see this so I could discuss it, and Godard in general.

Updated list:

Fires on the Plain I've owned this for like 2 years but fear it'll depress me.

Die Nibelungen Since I've watched the silents that were on my list I'll put this one on here. I think it's the most well regarded of the silents I haven't seen.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I watched Tron independently and absolutely loved it. The graphics are really amazing for the time. The amount of work that had to have gone into all that crap is mind-blowing. Plus, any movie where David Warner has a triple role as three villains is awesome. The part that really impressed me was the set design. ENCOM looked exactly like the kind of place where the computer world would have been created. Plus, the cheesy dialogue, the complete lack of understanding of what computers are and how they work, and the arcade populated by people twice its target age all just made it cornier and therefore more awesome.

Enter the Dragon was loving great. There was a lot about it I didn't expect. I thought the whole film would be Bruce Lee showing off, so I was really impressed by the scenes where other characters show off their skills. The fights could have been a little less predictable (in terms of outcome), but there was one that surprised me and besides, it's a martial arts movie from the 70s. I thought the cat on the guillotine was one of the most tense scenes in the movie. The final battle holds up incredibly well even today. My favorite part was the Lalo Schifrin soundtrack, a true product of its time. The only thing I'd change is the sound. The sounds are so obviously overdubbed that the sync problems are really loving distracting.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
City of God: Don't know much about it, but Netflix swears up and down I'll like it because I loved Y Tu Mamá También. So what the hell.
Cool Hand Luke: I'm usually apprehensive about movies that take place entirely within one location, especially since that location is prison. But hey, I thought the Shawshank Redemption was great and Murder in the First isn't so bad if you don't try to measure its historical accuracy, so I should probably just give it a shot.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
High and Low: I watched as much Kurosawa as I could find to prepare for a term paper I did on him. But I didn't get to this movie. It's the movie of his I've wanted to see most, especially since I've never seen any of his non-period pieces.
The Karate Kid: I've seen every sequel and even beaten the NES game, but I've never seen more than five minutes of this. I feel I owe it to myself after going through the video game and watching The Next Karate Kid like 5 times.
Raging Bull: I love Scorsese and I love DeNiro. How this movie has slipped by me all these years I don't understand.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I was going to give you Star Trek: The Motion Picture, but I can't sentence a person to that celluloid sedative in good conscience. This is my next choice.

EDIT: I got started with Star Trek as a kid by watching a few episodes of The Next Generation, then The Original Series, then out from there. The Motion Picture is a poo poo place to start. If I were you, I'd start by watching as much of TNG and TOS as you can (those two are both fairly episodic, so don't worry about order), then watching every movie but the first one.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 16, 2010

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Yo Peaceful Anarchy, swap TMP out for The Wrath of Khan. You can thank me later.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

penismightier posted:

Yo Peaceful Anarchy, swap TMP out for The Wrath of Khan. You can thank me later.

Will it make sense if I haven't seen any Star Trek though? I figured I had to see the first one first.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

You'll be fine. All you need to know going in is that Captain Kirk got promoted to Admiral and doesn't like the deskwork.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

CloseFriend, watch Raging Bull. I really liked King of Comedy and Taxi Driver is one of my all-time favorites, but Raging Bull left me wanting more. I'm curious to hear your take on it, given that you love DeNiro and Scorcese.

Finally watched The Godfather, Part II. Regrettably, I had to split it up into two because of the length, so I missed out on a unified experience. At first the grand scale of it turned me off, and I was certain I liked the first more. Near the end though, things started to click and I really felt for the characters. The final flashback was haunting, especially after recently seeing the first.

Also finally watched Aguirre, The Wrath of God. Loved the camerawork; some images were absolutely terrifying despite seeming mundane on the surface (like when Aguirre looks at the horse). It seemed like it could have been longer, but I guess Herzog didn't feel like stretching out his point — I can respect that. A German film if ever there was one.

MY SHAMEFUL LIST

1. Stalker
I've played the computer game. I hear it's amazing. I want to see it. Help me!

2. Schindler's List
Something about this has always rubbed me the wrong way. The few clips I've seen have made the film seem manipulative as hell. Basically, I don't want the theater/my mom's basement to get all dusty with the feeling that I've been tricked. I've also never been a huge Spielberg fan (he does do his job well, though).

3. Breathless
I thought I was more of Godard-person than a Truffaut-person until I saw The 400 Blows. Everyone gushes over this one, so I guess Jean-Luc has another chance to win me over. Unfortunately, I'm pretty fickle with French New Wave films because none of them have really blown me away. Could this be different?

4. A Clockwork Orange
My dad is a huge Kubrick fan, so when he lent me his collection a few years ago, I finally got to seeing stuff like Dr. Strangelove and 2001. He didn't like A Clockwork Orange when he saw it in theaters and so he never bothered buying it. I know so much about this film already from popular culture (mostly The Simpsons) that I haven't felt the need to seek out a copy. Apparently it's still shocking today; I'm afraid I'll just be underwhelmed and/or disgusted.

5. 12 Angry Men
I think I saw this when I was 4. Nevertheless, I've yet to see it since I've developed basic analytical skills. I know the premise but I'm clueless about specific scenes or characters. It's been floating around my Netflix queue and my various "check this out" lists, but it's never piqued my curiosity. Someone convince me that this old movie is great!

6. Any film by Satyajit Ray
I know absolutely nothing about Indian cinema, and since FFD raves about Ray, I think I should check him out. I'm not sure where to start with this guy; it'd be great if my picker recommended one that's available on Netflix. Otherwise I probably won't be able to see the film in question.

7. North by Northwest
I know about the corn maze scene, and that's about it. I like Hitchcock and I like Cary Grant. I even have the DVD at my house. I don't understand. What's stopping me? I really want to know why a plane would chase Cary Grant in a corn maze, dammit.

8. A Fistful of Dollars
After a great experience with The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I'm curious to see some more of Leone's work. I know this features Eastwood's "Man With No Name" character (which I found out was just a marketing ploy) and that it's a remake of Yojimbo (a great Kurosawa film, but not my favorite). My interest is piqued!

9. Persona
Although I enjoyed Wild Strawberries, I could never really get into Bergman. I hear this is one of his best, so maybe it'll turn me on to him. I know nothing about it.

10. Once Upon a Time in the West
People say it's better than the Dollars Trilogy, especially with regards to the soundtrack. Again, Leone has made a great impression on me, so I definitely should see his other great films. I don't know anything about the plot (or any famous scenes).

Finally Watched: Goodfellas; The Godfather; The Good The Bad and The Ugly; Casablanca; The Incredibles; The Godfather, Part II; Aguirre, The Wrath of God

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

penismightier posted:

While I think Wrath of Khan is the best, TMP is still pretty cool in its own way, and more appreciated by movie people than Trekkies.