Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

bung posted:

Ducati Indiana
Was there... a reason they named it 'Indiana'? Because of the states that deserve or warrant vehicles being named after them, Indiana isn't on my short list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Fantastipotamus posted:

Was there... a reason they named it 'Indiana'? Because of the states that deserve or warrant vehicles being named after them, Indiana isn't on my short list.

We named the DOG Indiana.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Ugh, the humidity

I kind of wondered what a terrible day of weather could be like, then today happened and now I know

Like 82% humidity and 98*F

It's like living over a pot of boiling water, it hurts to live

Arcteryx Anarchist fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 15, 2010

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

lancemantis posted:

Ugh, the humidity

I kind of wondered what a terrible day of weather could be like, then today happened and now I know

Like 82% humidity and 98*F

It's like living over a pot of boiling water, it hurts to live

I've been riding in 110-115* and 20-40% humidity in a 1pc over the past few weeks. When I suck the camelback dry I feel impending death within 10 minutes.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I helped my girlfriend buy a 1973 TS185 for her first bike. It's an enduro bike, two-stroke, with oil injector so that you don't need to premix the fuel. The PO threw in some Enduro tires along with the knobbies that are currently mounted. It did about 55-60 with me on it on the way back home.

Anybody familiar with these bikes? Is it going to last a decent amount of time before I need to start fixing poo poo in the engine? Everything seems in good repair. Parts seem cheap on eBay. I felt pretty badass with a street-legal two stroke sporting a kickstarter at the gas station.

I have little to no knowledge of two-strokes. Why do they need 10w-40 in the crankcase and yet run on premixed fuel and oil?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That 10w-40 isn't going to the crankcase, it's going to the transmission.

I love this picture, so I must post it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Roger. Also, even though it's a single-cylinder, it has TWO spark plugs in the head with one spark plug cap. I guess the thinking is, if one fouls out, you just switch to the other. Seems like either the bike fouls lots of plugs or the designers just planned for EVERY eventuality.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The 10W-40 is only for the transmission. In two-stroke bikes the crankcase is separated from the transmission, as the crankcase is part of the combusion chamber.

The oil mix is for the main bearings, and the crankcase in general.

The dual spark plugs are for when one fouls out. The bikes generally ran a little fat from the factory back then. Also, Suzuki was in the middle of a large campaign touting their reliability at the time, so they were doing everything to ensure it.

All this being said, its a Suzuki, so its the most reliable of the 70's two-strokes. As long as the oil pump is working, it should be fine. If the pump goes out though, replace it. Running premix in bearing injected Suzukis will just shorten their lives.

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

A guy has been trying to sell this monstrosity around NZ for the last couple years, monster with NOS, airbrushed skulls, ape hangers and hardtail. I just can't understand why it hasn't been snapped up..

:ughh:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Phat_Albert posted:

Good advice.

Is there a way to check if the oil pump is working other than seeing if the oil is slowly used up with the gas?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Is there a way to check if the oil pump is working other than seeing if the oil is slowly used up with the gas?

You can pull one of the oil lines, and kick the bike over with the key off and the throttle all the way open. Oil should slowly come out then.

Thats pretty tough though, as the oil systems on these bikes were generally pretty well hidden under covers and whatnot.

If you can get to a point where you can see the oil lines, they are generally translucent, so if you can see bubbles in the lines, that may be a sign of issues, or that the lines were recently off.

Honestly, I dont hear a lot about the pumps going out, and in my experience, they are very reliable. If the bike is currently running OK, then its safe to assume the pump is working.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Is it bad that I really really enjoy watching these retards crash? Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to get hurt but when I see someone doing stupid poo poo and crashing, it makes me smile.

I hope the kid CAN'T afford to fix the bike and has to sell it. One less idiot on the roads.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Scrapez posted:

Is it bad that I really really enjoy watching these retards crash? Don't get me wrong, I don't want anyone to get hurt but when I see someone doing stupid poo poo and crashing, it makes me smile.

I hope the kid CAN'T afford to fix the bike and has to sell it. One less idiot on the roads.

This is America, I'm sure he just charged it and will spend the next 6 months paying off a crankcase cover at 20% interest.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
i feel bad for the bike but not the rider

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I hope they used something to absorb the oil.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Eeh... They're doing their stunting in some empty parking lot looking area and not in the street around other people and even wearing a moderate amount of safety gear. Not my idea of a good time, but as long as they aren't putting anyone else at risk I can't fault them at all. Looking down on people who like a different kind of challenge on a motorcycle just makes you look like an elitist rear end in a top hat.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pr0zac posted:

Eeh... They're doing their stunting in some empty parking lot looking area and not in the street around other people and even wearing a moderate amount of safety gear. Not my idea of a good time, but as long as they aren't putting anyone else at risk I can't fault them at all. Looking down on people who like a different kind of challenge on a motorcycle just makes you look like an elitist rear end in a top hat.

I'm with you on this one. They aren't even going that fast.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Well if it makes me elitist to think they're stupid then so be it. I think it's stupid to ghost ride a car and wreck it, too but there are people that like that sort of thing.

I will agree that it's good they appear to be performing their stupidity on a road with no traffic.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

One of the comments was actually helpful and not stupid at all. Get your friends to go in on a beat Ninja 500 and learn to stunt on that. Genius. If I had an empty parking lot and an already beat bike I would maybe try to do some of that stuff too. Maybe.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Well I am pretty sure my friend seized his Ninja 250 engine!

He was going on a trip to houston from OKC and was like, hey, what should I do before I go? I was like idk check the oil and the tire pressure man. So he does neither and 60 miles from home his engine stops working on the highway. Revs are dropping and rising like crazy so he clutches in and hits the kill switch. He calls for advice and it turns out, the thing is bone dry. No oil. He hid it in the grass and hitchhikes home with some old dude on a Harley. We picked it up a week later.

Now we can shift it into first and neutral, but not into second.

How boned do you guys think he is?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Quite possibly boned, but at least it wasn't too bad a lesson. I think you can get a new (used) 250 engine for a few hundred if you hunt around. Don't quote me on that.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, pretty sure that needs a new mill. Start searching craislist for Ninjas with scraped up fairings, old tires etc. Or...Busa swap :hellyeah:

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Ola posted:

Yeah, pretty sure that needs a new mill. Start searching craislist for Ninjas with scraped up fairings, old tires etc. Or...Busa swap :hellyeah:

Actually, you can find the Ninja 250 engines already stripped out of their donor bikes and ready for sale most of the time, probably as a result of the huge number of them (or at least, of the pre-08s anyway) here in the states.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

Or...Busa swap :hellyeah:

I think you'd end up wrapping the frame around your nuts or something. It'd be painful I know that.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

IAMKOREA posted:

Now we can shift it into first and neutral, but not into second.

How boned do you guys think he is?

Is this bike moving when you try to shift it? Kawasaki bikes have a positive neutral finder that makes it impossible to shift into 2nd unless the rear wheel is moving.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If it was run dry, I wouldnt even mess with it. The money it would take to get it back up to snuff would buy you a couple of used motors.

Get a used low mileage motor out of a crashed bike and call it a day.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Saw a guy with this today and as ridiculous as it is I totally want one.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/817c/

Looks comfy.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Just saw the biek equivalent of Spinnaz: some dude up the street was parking his cruiser, and the first thing i focussed on was the gatling gun covers he had on his pipes that spun as the exhaust came out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Christoff posted:

Saw a guy with this today and as ridiculous as it is I totally want one.

Looks comfy.

I'm not even a star wars geek and I still want one.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
There we go. It's happened to me. Someone I knew well died on a motorcycle.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/18/1354533/indiana-woman-dies-in-lexington.html

I don't have any idea what I'd do in her husbands place.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Nerobro posted:

There we go. It's happened to me. Someone I knew well died on a motorcycle.

http://www.kentucky.com/2010/07/18/1354533/indiana-woman-dies-in-lexington.html

I don't have any idea what I'd do in her husbands place.

Probably feel very very very bad and drink a lot of jack.

I refuse to carry a passenger because I don't want that on my conscience should the unthinkable happen.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Chris Knight posted:

Just saw the biek equivalent of Spinnaz: some dude up the street was parking his cruiser, and the first thing i focussed on was the gatling gun covers he had on his pipes that spun as the exhaust came out.

Those would be better if they were facing forward. :colbert:

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Doctor Zero posted:

Those would be better if they were facing forward. :colbert:

It's on a motorcycle, it's safe to assume that everyone will be behind it. Otherwise your target could just hit the brakes and kill the biker.

That reminds me of the scene in the original Mad Max where the couple in a car is being chased by the biker gang. I kept screaming to just HIT THE GOD drat BRAKES! Run them off the road! No, they try to outrace the bikes, lose control and crash/smash. (sigh)

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
So I'm planning the resurrection of my 929 and have started putting together things I need. Ordered a riser kit so I can put dirt bars on it, new (longer) braided brake lines, and I'm gonna call and order 8" longer throttle and clutch cables tomorrow. Looking for headlights. I've decided to get two more lights similar to the round projector I've got on there now and do a triple "Sam Fisher/Predator" style thing. Two on for low, all three for high beam. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a cheaper pair than these: http://www.motorcyclehidlights.com/motorcycle-hid-c-99/motorcycle-hid-add-on-projector-lights-p-377

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Mid-ride report: Did 1,200 miles over two days on my CBR F2. That's 99% highway miles. It wasn't terribly uncomfortable but I did have to use about 5 different riding positions spread out over 15 minutes each looped continuously to keep from getting too hosed up. Now I really want a throttle rocker or cruise control before I head back in five days...

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Around 1 am last night, I signed up for a Harley test ride through their website. This morning, I had missed calls from 3 different Harley dealerships. They were all eager to have me come down and ride some bikes (as long as I was alright with wearing a helmet, lol) So tomorrow morning I'm going to go test ride one of Harley's new "Forty-Eights". I've never ridden or been interested in Harleys, but this new one is pretty slick looking.

I've only ridden a crf230, fz6, sv650, old r6 and a street triple, so I"m looking forward to the new experience. I seriously doubt I'll buy one, but I'm a bored college student and it will be a good way to spend the morning.

also: STURGIS STURGIS STURGIS

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

also: STURGIS STURGIS STURGIS

My clutch cable for the Star 13 comes in this week. After I install it with a little reroute magic, change my oil, and check my drive belt tension, I AM READY AS HELL.

Pee Wee Herman, ZZ Top, Motley Crue, and Bob Dylan are all performing at my campground, the Buffalo Chip. It will be glorious.

The Forty-Eight looks like a Nightster to me with a more gaudy tank logo. You should test ride a XR1200 :)

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

The Forty Eight is basically a nightster with a 16" front wheel. Several guys were swapping out the Fat Boy front end to their Sportster (fatster) to get the same look. I'm sure that's where Harley got the idea.

I really like the look. I may convert to a wideglide front end at some point and do a 16" front wheel.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/634151347147372532GSX1300R_Black.jpg

Wow pretty much the most badass color scheme I think i've seen for the Hayabusa.... in fact I really want it. It's like loving Ninja Gaiden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Scrapez posted:

The Forty Eight is basically a nightster with a 16" front wheel. Several guys were swapping out the Fat Boy front end to their Sportster (fatster) to get the same look. I'm sure that's where Harley got the idea.

I really like the look. I may convert to a wideglide front end at some point and do a 16" front wheel.

The 48 also has a Tiny 2.1 gallon peanut tank.