Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

got my Lincoln LS back today from the garage with all new coils, plugs, and a brand spanking new PCM. It definitely feels like a V8 should, and the engine sounds beautiful, but I've got that feeling of hatred you get after throwing money at your problematic car. Looking forward to selling it now, which I'm guessing won't be easy in this economy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I flushed the coolant about 10 goddamn times and burnt my hand during one of those because it was still blazing hot. I just put in a junkyard engine that runs great, only problem is that it sat for a bit and the cooling passages are nasty and rusty. Ran some Prestone Super Clean stuff in there and hoped after a flush or two it would be clear. It still looks like hot chocolate. :barf:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I called around to find out how much it is going to cost to evacuate and refill the AC system in my Lexus. The closest thing I got to a straight answer so far is $160. For ten minutes of labor, $30 worth of oil and refrigerant, and maybe a half hour of the car being hooked to the vacuum pump.

For that much I think I am going to buy my own loving vacuum pump and finish this poo poo myself.

The second replacement auto climate control for my 1998 Dodge Intrepid ES 3.2L came in. This one works, the display lights up and everything.

I swapped the radiator in the Intrepid for one I bought on https://www.car-part.com since the old one had a pinhole leak. The radiator was in and the car was coming up to normal operating temperature when the upper hose blew off.

I forgot to put the second hose clamp back on the upper radiator hose. I am stupid.

My cable operated hose clamp pliers are still loving awesome btw. If you work on cars a lot you should get one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The air conditioning on the driver's side just started working out of nowhere, so I performed magic on my car today. I figure the stupid plastic gear in the blend door actuator got all retarded again and I'm probably going to have to take the dashboard off again if I want heat this winter.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

PBCrunch posted:

My cable operated hose clamp pliers are still loving awesome btw. If you work on cars a lot you should get one.

Picture of this seemingly amazing tool?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Craftsman Cable-Operated Hose Clamp Pliers
Made in France!

I got up early and put the upper radiator hose back on the Intrepid. Of course there wasn't quite enough room to get this done without removing the upper radiator support, so I had to pull that off too.

I filled it back up with coolant and pumped it full of pressure with the Snap-On cooling system pressure tester I borrowed from my friend. No more radiator leak!

Working automatic climate control display:

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

The back of the climate control box is stamped "Lucas". I guess that is why the displays fail so commonly on these things.

Method Loser
Oct 10, 2001
My Z is DONE, check it:

Beautiful, imo

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Changed out the parking brake shoes on the E30. Yay E-Brake functionality!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

This is more what I did for my ride. Picked these up and ordered tires:

Should have the tires early next week!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Spent a small fortune changing the oil in the Volvo and the BMW today.

Yeeeaaahhhh..... my haul from Autozone. They probably thought I was nuts. I used all but one quart between the two cars.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
:420: tip: If you need to replace the receiver/dryer/accumulator/whatever on an '03 Mustang, don't spend 30 bucks on a spring lock tool you will probably never use again. Go buy a single Phillie blunt, the type in the plastic tube, and a paint can opener. Cut about an inch off the cigar tube and slit it down the middle. Wrap it around the tube and pry it into the fitting with the paint can opener. Cut another strip about 1/4" wide off the blunt tube and again use the paint scraper to wedge it in the remaining space. Yank gently and bam, poo poo pops right off. Then replace the tobacco from the cigar with... you know.

E: Speling

Lowclock fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 11, 2010

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Got control of my drat aircon again!

A vacuum hose popped off, and the system was stuck on defrost. put the hose back on, little bit of duct tape. boom, problem solved.

the list of problems with the truck are getting smaller and smaller.

fixed:
transmission synchros not engaging(fluid change)
trip computer randomly crashing/leaking water(cab light grommet)
fuel pump(wired properly into the truck again!)
water pump(blew up while towing)
power seat(bracket came loose and flipped itself around
rear door latch(had to push the door in to open it, moved latch out, operates perfect now)
12v power point(hosed up plug)
block heater(power cord touching turbo[why would they do this])
air-con control(loose vacuum line)

to fix:
leaking fuel line(i think) - causing fuel system to deprime when parked
crank case breather ejecting oil - hope an oil change clears this up
leaking oil pan gasket - there are drat bolts missing, i really hope that solves it, as replacing the oil pan gasket involves pulling the engine.
front axle seal leak - not major, but i'm probably going to have to pull that diff apart for this one at some point.
center console latch - requires a beating to get it open sometimes. this one has me loving stumped
Air conditioning system recharge
cleaning intake temperature sensor - thing is at the back of the engine, and is a pain in the rear end to get to.
drivers side mirror - mirror flops around within the housing, i've currently got it wedged in place using a bunch of pennies wrapped in electrical tape.
parking brake adjustment

bonus pictures:

total weight there was 8300kg or 18300lbs, about 1800kg on the front axle, 3300kg on the rear, and 3200kg on the trailer. total of 7" of sag at the tailgate. averaged 10.2 mpg at 105kph(65mph)

total weight there was 5880kg or about 13000lbs, only about 6" of sag at the tailgate. averaged 15.6 mpg at 110kph(68mph)

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

My Mazda 6's gauge cluster had ghosts in need of busting, so I put in a new battery. Problem solved.

chomper
Aug 16, 2007

Los Bastardos
Changed the oil, rotated the tires.

I had a shimmy at around 53-56 and thought it was maybe the wheel balance/weights or the trac bar so I checked the trac bar/steering and there was no wiggle. Rotating the tires helped a lot but I think I may go get the wheels balanced for $24.99 next week just to make sure.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Some of you guy should SERIOUSLY look into buying oil in bulk if your using that much at a time!

I worked out with my vehicles at home (3 diesels, 5000km oil changes) that if i bought oil by the 5L container, my oil (Caltex Delo400) was around $9.50 a litre.

If i bought it by the 205L drum, its $4.40 a litre. Even the 20L drums got it down to about $6 a litre.

New truck im looking at buying has an 11 Litre sump... :cry:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
For $150 off a parts car I bought what would cost roughly $2k from Audi. My loot includes:
New Bose headunit, trunk wiring harness, mid door trim strips, new fuel lines, radiator support, hood strut, front ABS sensors, and a sunroof potentiometer. New radio went in immediately, everything else is waiting for a nice weekend.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I was going to wash & wax our cars, but it rained all weekend, so I just vacuumed and cleaned the interior on the Jeep in the garage.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

All of this was yesterday:

I changed the front pads and rotors on the 1999 Jeep Cherokee. The old pads weren't really worn, they just didn't feel right and they dusted like crazy. With the new pads there is much better initial bite and overall a more confident feeling in the brakes. I think the old pads were bottom-of-the-barrel parts store units. The new ones are Raybestos ceramic pads.

I vacuumed and washed my Intrepid and took interior and exterior photos for my craigslist ad. I also vacuumed and washed my 1995 Acura Integra. Of course it rained on both cars this morning.

I bought a Harbor Freight two-stage 3 cfm vacuum pump to evacuate the AC system on my 1995 Lexus SC400. I had replaced the compressor with a used unit and I replaced the receiver/drier with a new one. I vacuumed the system but it would not hold vacuum. The low side schrader valve was leaking audibly. My mechanic neighbor suggested replacing the o-rings for the compressor and r/d fittings while we are in there.

My neighbor is going to bring a tool from work to replace the schrader valves on the high side and the low side. I need to go get the o-rings today.

Hopefully after doing all of that the AC will work on the Lexus.

The regular price on the vacuum pump was $169. It was on sale for $149. I had a 20% off coupon and was able to use it to drop the price to $119. Usually HF won't let me use a 20% coupon on a sale item, so this was a win.

I was pretty happy with the vacuum pump. It created enough vacuum to go beyond the range of my AC manifold gauge set.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Transferred my personalized plate onto my Fit:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Washed and waxed.

Oh. My. God. I had no idea a black '89 325iS could look So. drat. Good.

Pictures will be up sometime later this week. Gonna get one of my pro photo buddies to take pics.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Stared longingly for a few moments, since I never get time to go anywhere. Then, I went back and peered at the convertible ad on the fridge. Jesus, I'm loving retarded.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Ferremit posted:

Some of you guy should SERIOUSLY look into buying oil in bulk if your using that much at a time!

That's the first time I ended up doing both cars at the same time. They were different weights, too.

Plus, I have nowhere to put a drum of oil, as awesome as that sounds like it would be.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

My neighbor brought some of his fancy tools over and helped me with a couple of things last night.

My 1999 Jeep Cherokee leaks refrigerant. I put UV dye in it a few weeks ago. We inspected it with a UV light and found it was leaking in two places on the refrigerant hose. I have a replacement hose ready to go in. He suggested I replace the receiver/drier and the orifice tube as well, so I will. We also discussed the details of adjusting the parking brake and changing the rear diff gasket which has left a couple of drops on my driveway.

We looked at my 1998 Dodge Intrepid that gets hotter than it should when in traffic with the AC on. We determined with his Power Probe that both fans are operational and that power is present going into the rad fan harness, but power does not reach one of the fans. This indicates a bad wire inside the harness. Tonight I will remove the rad fan assembly and strip the harness down to find the bad wire. It is a pretty simple harness so it shouldn't be too hard.

And most successfully we fixed the AC system in my 1995 Lexus SC400. I had replaced the compressor with a junkyard unit and the receiver/drier with a new unit. Somehow the low side Schrader valve had gotten damaged. The system would not hold vacuum.

We replaced both Schrader valves (low and high) and also replaced the o-rings on the compressor and the r/d which I should have done in the first place. We vacuumed the system and this time all was well. We filled it with PAG46 compressor oil, a can of UV dyed refrigerant and a can of normal refrigerant. The AC is now ice cold like it should be.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I had traded my 1992 Accord for my brother's 1995 Integra some time back. He finally went to register the car yesterday and the DMV people told him I had signed the title in the wrong place so the seller (me) would have to obtain a new copy of the title. I did so this morning.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

Washed and waxed.

Oh. My. God. I had no idea a black '89 325iS could look So. drat. Good.

Pictures will be up sometime later this week. Gonna get one of my pro photo buddies to take pics.

It rained today. Not twelve hours after I finished the last section of hood.

I hate Florida.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Got my M3 wheels put on the 325iS:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Didn't do this myself, but took it to get a proper detailing job done:

Before:

After:

Lum fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 14, 2010

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Lum posted:

Didn't do this myself, but took it to get a proper detailing job done:

Why the hell is "L isn't Learners, it's LEGEND!" running through my head.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ssh posted:

Why the hell is "L isn't Learners, it's LEGEND!" running through my head.

Dunno. In the UK that character in the numberplate identifies the age of the car. L999 AAA means the car was first registered in the period August 1993 - July 1994.

August 93 in my case.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande

Lum posted:

Dunno. In the UK that character in the numberplate identifies the age of the car. L999 AAA means the car was first registered in the period August 1993 - July 1994.

August 93 in my case.

I just realized it was a bit in "Thank God You're Here: Australia" They use the 'L' as a signifier for 'Learners Permit', and the guy crashed through a house. However, it was just a placard, not on the plate itself.

Patro
Oct 17, 2003
Hi2u
Almost bought a 135i instead I went to the dark side of things.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Patro posted:

Almost bought a 135i instead I went to the dark side of things.

Shoulda waited to buy something new.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/BMW-1-Series-M-Coupe-Specs.html

sbyers77
Jan 9, 2004

Replace my fuel injectors with cleaned/flow-matched/rebuilt set from eBay. Was kind of a bitch to do but they're in now. Car seems to run soother with more consistent power, but the real test is to see if they fixed my hard-start while warm condition.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sbyers77 posted:

Replace my fuel injectors with cleaned/flow-matched/rebuilt set from eBay. Was kind of a bitch to do but they're in now. Car seems to run soother with more consistent power, but the real test is to see if they fixed my hard-start while warm condition.

That's due to vapor lock, I had the same issue with my S50 E36. Pain in the loving rear end to sit there cranking it for 30s while the Honda guys are snickering about "German Engineering". I did something or other with the fuel pressure regulator and it fixed it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I was driving home and my car died and lost all power in the middle of the road. I didn't get out of the car because that road is busy. I called the police. They wanted to push me off the road, but I had put my car in park and couldn't get it to neutral because I had no electricity. So I convinced the cop to let me open the hood and screw with my battery.

So I'm retarded.

I had taken my subwoofer out a while ago, but I had left the power cable still in the car. I had detached it from the battery and secured it to a brace with electrical tape. The heat made the tape unwind and lose its sticking ability. The metal end connector of the wire hit the battery terminal and shorted and melted the terminal. I messed with the wire, got enough electricity to get it to neutral, and the cop pushed me into a parking lot.

My girlfriend came and got me, we went to Pep Boys and I got a new part for $2. I installed the new terminal in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot because I keep tools in my car. I secured the subwoofer cable with more tape and drove home. Then I secured the cable with zip ties.

The end.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jul 16, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Not my car, but today I painted the rims on my friends car:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Applied for a loan, and put a deposit down on a 2005 Landcruiser 4.2L Turbo Diesel Manual wagon!

No pics cos the buggers pulled the ad after i said i was very interested!

Pics wednesday when i test drive it :D

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Bojanglesworth posted:

Not my car, but today I painted the rims on my friends car:

That guy has the absolute worst plates on his car.

edit: cleaned out both trunks today. bout drat time I got around to doing that.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 16, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

CornHolio posted:

That guy has the absolute worst plates on his car.

Agreed.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

FogHelmut posted:

I installed the new terminal in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot because I keep tools in my car.

We all do.

[lol i am clever spoiler]gently caress anyone who doesn't at least keep a basic toolkit in any vehicle, pliers, flashlight, screwdrivers, proper type of sockets or wrenches, tape, and bailing wire/zipties.[/spoiler]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

That reminds me that I need some car pliers.

This thing is awesome and compact though.