Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

These girls live with my folks. No one has a clue what they're supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

SynthOrange posted:

I see Akita and/or red heeler.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Cool thread!

This is Yogi:

Figure he is collie/shepherd mix. He's about 35lbs, has the "sensitive/intelligent" temperament of a border collie although he is terrible at catching frisbees/balls (he flees when anything is coming at him) and has no interest in herding stuff. He's around 33 lbs.

This is Pepper:

The staff at the shelter we got her from figured she was a Chow mix, due to a dark purple tongue and a square-ish head. When she was a pup she looked just like a little bear. They figured she'd be huge and have a chow-like coat so we were all prepped for both but now that she is over a year she's topped out at around 25 lbs and is all gangly legs.

Interestingly both dogs have fluffy tails that curl up towards their back. They're not related although they probably came from the same area (lots of farms and native reserves where the dogs breed pretty much unhindered).

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!

Shebrew posted:

Miniature Speckled Ear Dog. They have competitions to see how far they can glide using their ears as wings. (So cute :3:)

I wouldn't say miniature is accurate, she just weighed in at the vet at 40 pounds, and her paws are so big for her its clear she's not done growing yet!

She's a sleepy girl.

Until you use the camera's flash.

Sleepin' with her feet up on the wall.

Last one isn't a great picture, but you can see her ears are back because shes getting belly rubs.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

This is Mia. She's half maltese and half (I think miniature) poodle. She's a funny, insanely intelligent little nut and she likes to lay in the warm southern California sun in the afternoon. She's also crazily photogenic and is very patient and sweet with my 1 1/2 year old niece :unsmith:

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?
This is my dog, Jack. Shelter listed him as an Australian Shepherd mix, vet thinks he's Australian Shepherd + Collie (border collie?) mix. What do you think?

He has the collie tail and head, but everything else seems to point to Aussie.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Reaganomicon posted:

This is Mia. She's half maltese and half (I think miniature) poodle. She's a funny, insanely intelligent little nut and she likes to lay in the warm southern California sun in the afternoon. She's also crazily photogenic and is very patient and sweet with my 1 1/2 year old niece :unsmith:

The prick ears don't usually show up in maltese or poodles - is that combination known? I think she kind of looks like a Chihuahua/terrier.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
The coat doesn't look like either of those breeds either, looks very terrier-y to me.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
So far our best guess for Stella is Maltese/Westie. She's about 12 lbs with a rough coat, ears that can't decide whether to stand up or not, a tail that curls and a penchant for digging.

Reaganomicon
Jan 31, 2004

Flush please

Engineer Lenk posted:

The prick ears don't usually show up in maltese or poodles - is that combination known? I think she kind of looks like a Chihuahua/terrier.

I don't really know. I agree she does look kinda chihuahua-ish and terrier-ish. I guess until I can get dog DNA testing its all just guessing as to her background...

I swear I see some poodle in her face though.

Little_Dead_Pets
Jul 3, 2006

Fatty Patty posted:

This is my dog, Jack. Shelter listed him as an Australian Shepherd mix, vet thinks he's Australian Shepherd + Collie (border collie?) mix. What do you think?

He has the collie tail and head, but everything else seems to point to Aussie.

The shots of his face really makes me think of a great pyrenees, particularly that first pic where the fur looks pretty thick around his neck. I can seem him being a combo of several working dogs on someone's farm. Pyr/border collie, or pyr/aussie, or all three of them. Either way, he is cute and fluffy :)

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

Little_Dead_Pets posted:

The shots of his face really makes me think of a great pyrenees, particularly that first pic where the fur looks pretty thick around his neck. I can seem him being a combo of several working dogs on someone's farm. Pyr/border collie, or pyr/aussie, or all three of them. Either way, he is cute and fluffy :)

wow those dogs are HUGE. I forgot to mention that Jack is only 39 lbs, lol. The first face shot he has a fluffy neck because of his collar and weird head position, but for the most part all that fur just lays down. A lot of people think that he's cute--the rest are deathly afraid of him for some reason??? I have no idea he is the sweetest dog.

Krizkor
Feb 12, 2007

Terrific...Terrific.
Been following this awhile, and decided to see what kind of opinions I could get on my pup.

This is Ozzie, between vets and neighbors, i've gotten about six different breed mixes he could possibly be, from Pit/jack russel to collie/retriever. He's too small for any kind of collie mix, and his hair is very short and bristly. Any ideas?

https://wi.somethingawful.com/cb/cb30ffee1780ed002ba05c143762b027125c00f8.jpg

Linked for huge.

edit: I should mention, sometimes his ears are flopped forward, rather than the current position they are in that photo.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
This is Fred:

According to our vet, he's some kind of Jack Russell mix. He's got wildly crooked teeth and a pretty severe underbite, but he's without a doubt the cutest and sweetest dog I've ever had.

He likes to cuddle with things:

He's got one perpetually floppy ear:

Bonus picture of him smiling with Ivy, our rescued Cairn Terrier:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Krizkor posted:

Been following this awhile, and decided to see what kind of opinions I could get on my pup.

This is Ozzie, between vets and neighbors, i've gotten about six different breed mixes he could possibly be, from Pit/jack russel to collie/retriever. He's too small for any kind of collie mix, and his hair is very short and bristly. Any ideas?

https://wi.somethingawful.com/cb/cb30ffee1780ed002ba05c143762b027125c00f8.jpg

Linked for huge.

edit: I should mention, sometimes his ears are flopped forward, rather than the current position they are in that photo.

How big is he? How much does he weigh? Any body/action shots?

He looks kind of like a pit/collie mix, unless he's like 20 lbs. He also sort of looks like a chunky rat terrier.

Krizkor
Feb 12, 2007

Terrific...Terrific.

Scary Ned posted:

How big is he? How much does he weigh? Any body/action shots?

He looks kind of like a pit/collie mix, unless he's like 20 lbs. He also sort of looks like a chunky rat terrier.

I'd have more pictures, but all I got is my cellphone, so they all come out awful. He's about 35-40 lbs, and he's kind of a fatty because I spoil him like a retard, so your chunky rat terrier estimation seems accurate.

edit: i'm bad at this, he's about a foot off the ground on all fours, probably about 2-3 feet when he's standing up and sniffing crotches like it's going out of style.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary
This is Quincy, who I've had for a few weeks now. His foster named him that, but it sort of grew on me between when I saw him and when I adopted him.

I posted a while back about how I was moving out on my own soon and was planning on getting either a corgi or a corgi mix. Well, while looking around at local shelters on Petfinder, I ended up coming across something that's not at all a corgi yet I was totally in love. Two weeks later I was able to see him at an adoption fair, and two weeks after that I met his foster at her house and adopted him that day. Even though he wasn't what I was expecting to get when I decided to get a dog, he's definitely the dog I've always wanted when it comes to being such a sweet, loving dog. I don't regret it at all. He rules to live with. He was a little younger than I was looking for too, at a year and a half (I was trying to go with the two-year rule). However, he's so dang well-behaved for his age it's almost a little scary. He was listed as a bull terrier mix but I think they were just using that as a nice way of saying "some kind of bully breed but we don't want to say pitbull or he might not be adopted". I suppose he COULD be a bull terrier mix, but I don't really think so. He's 20 pounds roughly, and not getting any bigger. I don't have a picture of it, but he's definitely got that big bully mouth when it's open.

Too many words, need more pictures!

This one shows his ears, one of which is a solid brown and the other with just brown spots:

Click here for the full 500x635 image.

I guess my mom was right when she said that I'd end up with the dog I was supposed to have no matter what I planned on originally.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
We have sooooooooo many mutts.....*Deep Breath*

Alex is the oldest dog (wife had him as a family pet when she was a sophomore in high school, and we took him once we moved into a house with property. For the record, we live on 2 acres in front of woods and have no discernible life outside of work other than hanging out with or participating in activities with our dogs.)
He'll be at least 12 in the fall and is to our best guesses Lab/Pointer.

He hates hygiene

While he does spend more time laying in a jumble of stick-legs like this in his old age, he is still as fit pace for pace on a hike as any of our young dogs.

Guthrie is a 4 year old Corgi/Terrier mix from a rescue in Nevada. He is a perfect gentleman, unless you are a squirrel and is my wife's "right hand man" bc his busy body corgi brain makes him keep everyone in order and every pet in its place. When we adopted him, he got it in his head that the kittens belonged in the bathroom and would meticulously round them up. This resulted in the "Leave it " command being hammered home pretty fast.

His legs are wee pistons.....

He is generally polite with all creatures.....except squirrels.

And occasionally, despite being as perfect as a dog can be, he fails at bed.

Beatrice is a 1 year old ......something. She's maybe Boston/Corgi?

She also has crazy piston muscles....(Omg, look at her ears flopping!!)

And, err....she killed this rabbit and snuck it under our bed (along with the peanut butter jar and utensils she also stole that day...sigh)

NMS/NWS for dead bunny- http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx35/tvsian/045.jpg

Quinn is just around a year old, Collie mix who is a larger Guthrie as far as behavior. She came into the rescue we foster for heavily pregnant and starving. All of the puppies are adopted and this nice gal is totally ours now.

SO SPEAKING OF PUPPIES......
We foster for that rescue, which pulls adoptable or at risk dogs from the local pound and does adoption events every weekend at PetSmart. This last week, three pregnant dogs came into the pound at once and they wanted to know if we could take the one who whelped first.

So now we have Ms Pepper

And this pile of potatoes (please ignore the puppy poo and tumbleweeds of Pepper's fur-we only take pics during puppy area cleanup):

We've got them until weaning, one is already spoken for and if the others don't have applications pending by then, they will go to 'puppy raisers' for foster. We'll probably keep Pepper as a foster unless she has an application too. Puppies aren't listed until 10 weeks old but I have a few friends who have lost dogs in the last couple of years who might be interested. One friend in Maine had to put her Border Collie down 5 years ago and has decided she wants the runt. Oh, btw, bc of their 'id colors', the puppies are named after characters from Clue.

poster girl
Jan 24, 2009

Makin Posters - It's a living.
Samba is growing up. Soli is her best bud. I still have no clue as to what either are.

Samba

Soli (who is for sure border collie and wirehair terrier but we have no idea who fathered him.

Waiting patiently, sorta

MadEyeMary
May 14, 2008
This is Oedipus, named when we thought she was a boy. But it's somehow very fitting for her, and she does love her mom much better. I posted a picture of her in the stupid-looking pets thread, so I felt obliged to present her in a better light.

Her hobbies include carrying her toys around the house and "burying" them, jumping on the couch/bed/person, chilling on the balcony, barking at insects, hunting insects, and running around spastically. Her least favorite thing is learning new commands--it hurts her brainmuscle.

She is a chihuahua-something mix. She is from China, so my first guess would be Pekingese or some other Chinese dog (big-rear end eyes, small snout, floppy ears), but she could be so mutted up that it's impossible to tell. She has this pretty thick coat and she's very very small, though bigger than a typical chihuahua. She's about 6 lbs.

This is the most fancy-pants picture I have ever taken of Oedipus.

Full Body Shot, hehe

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

MadEyeMary fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 24, 2010

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
This is Bacchus. I picked him up from the Humane Society yesterday. He's five months old. They said he's a German Shepherd mix. I was thinking the other part was some sort of hound but a lot of people at work are convinced he's got pit bull in him.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Looks like a beagle mix to me. I don't see any GSD in that dog. He could be beagle x pit.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life

Ginny Field posted:

This is Fred:

He looks like those pictures you constantly see of "World's Oldest/Ugliest Dog" only much less old and ugly. I think that dog was a Chinese Crested or something.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

thethuthinnang posted:

This is Bacchus. I picked him up from the Humane Society yesterday. He's five months old. They said he's a German Shepherd mix. I was thinking the other part was some sort of hound but a lot of people at work are convinced he's got pit bull in him.

What would you call his coat color? Is it sable or simply black/tan? I know sable is common in GSDs (which might be why the shelter said GSD), but honestly coat color might not be the best thing to go on. I wish I new more about dog genetics and coloration though...

Also he's very cute.

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
Here is another photo of him. He went to the vet yesterday and we were told that he doesn't have pit in him. The vet said that he's GSD and "your guess is as good as mine, but not pit." He said that his frame isn't muscular enough at six months to be pit.

Whatever he is, he's wonderful. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

thethuthinnang posted:

Here is another photo of him. He went to the vet yesterday and we were told that he doesn't have pit in him. The vet said that he's GSD and "your guess is as good as mine, but not pit." He said that his frame isn't muscular enough at six months to be pit.

Oh that's BS. That dog is definitely pit x hound.

thethuthinnang
Feb 3, 2004

cool as heck
Is it the shape of the head that makes you say that? The joker smile? I'm happy with him whatever he is, but I'm curious.

Also, he points. Is that breed specific at all?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Also other than his coat color (definitely not the texture) I don't see really see GSD. It's also difficult to tell without good body shots. I don't think I'd really chalk up the "pointing" to anything though.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
Mutts are the best. I adopted Astrid from a local shelter about a month ago.

Not really sure what she is though (other than awesome). The people who gave her up at the shelter said German Shepherd/Saluki, the latter half of which seems dubious at best to me. Definitely seems to be some type of shepherd/sighthound mix, but I was thinking Greyhound is much more likely than Saluki. Some people have suggested Anatolian rather than German Shepherd too, but I really don't know.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Astrid looks like a shorthaired version of every Anatolian I've ever met, if that helps.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
So we've decided Lizzie is a Basenji/Labrador mix.

more pictures here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post377952302

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Scary Ned posted:

Astrid looks like a shorthaired version of every Anatolian I've ever met, if that helps.

Yep. She's adorable :3:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

MickRaider posted:

So we've decided Lizzie is a Basenji/Labrador mix.

more pictures here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3171820&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=14#post377952302

She still looks like a cattledog mix to me. It's the ears.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Scary Ned posted:

She still looks like a cattledog mix to me. It's the ears.

Normally her ears are halfway between popping up and flopping down. She really looks like this dog that's also a Lab/Besenji Mix: http://adozeneggs.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/lily2.jpg Plus she has the wrinkley basenji face.

We're still playing the guessing game, but that makes far more sense than cattle dog imo. Plus she's really quiet and never barks (unless she's bored and wants me to play with her)

MickRaider fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 16, 2010

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
How big is she? Basenjis are pretty little. My friends have a basenji/cattledog cross (oh god, ninja dog) and she's all of 20 pounds.

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Scary Ned posted:

How big is she? Basenjis are pretty little. My friends have a basenji/cattledog cross (oh god, ninja dog) and she's all of 20 pounds.

Well we're guessing she's got mostly lab traits. Right now she's 37lbs at 4th months.

I can see your point, but cattle dogs are also pretty small, lizzie's almost/as big as my friends aussie.

ArmadilloConspiracy
Jan 15, 2010

sigseven posted:

Not really sure what she is though (other than awesome). The people who gave her up at the shelter said German Shepherd/Saluki, the latter half of which seems dubious at best to me. Definitely seems to be some type of shepherd/sighthound mix, but I was thinking Greyhound is much more likely than Saluki. Some people have suggested Anatolian rather than German Shepherd too, but I really don't know.

Since her ears seem to be pointy with some rose (back against her head, like Greyhounds have) leanings, I'd guess Greyhound rather than Saluki as well. Also statistically speaking, you're right; that's much more likely than Saluki.

Adorable stilt-mutt, either way. :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

MickRaider posted:

I can see your point, but cattle dogs are also pretty small, lizzie's almost/as big as my friends aussie.

To the best of my knowledge, ACDs actually don't have that strict of a weight standard and most htat I've been around are anywhere from 30-50 or maybe 55 pounds (which is also near the weight of most Aussies).

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
More mutts:

Any ideas? He makes chewbaca noises sort of like a malamute or a husky and can't stand the heat so I'm guessing some kind of northern dog, beyond that I have no idea.

The rescue we got him from had him down as a chow mix, but that doesn't seem right. He weighs just under 90 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

a handful of dust posted:

Any ideas? He makes chewbaca noises sort of like a malamute or a husky and can't stand the heat so I'm guessing some kind of northern dog, beyond that I have no idea.

The rescue we got him from had him down as a chow mix, but that doesn't seem right. He weighs just under 90 lbs.

Oh my god that dog is amazing! He looks like a not-white Samoyed to me. Like a mix of Samoyed and grizzly bear. I want to lay on him.