Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've never seen tmp but Wrath of Khan is my favorite Star Trek. Also PA, another record, and how does new Goddard compare to old Goddard.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Godard is a pretentious rear end in a top hat

This is pretty much the truest statement ever. I think I read some Godard remark about how he hated Ophuls, plus he called cinema truth (at 24 fps or whatever). He's a really good director, but yeah he definitely seems like a huge dick. I had an ex who used to read a big Godard book and loved the guy.

And I don't really plan on marathoning through the Three Colours Trilogy in the sense of watching all three back to back to back. I just meant I would watch them all at once for the purpose of this thread. In other words, watching all three in a day or two.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
The Third Man is an excellently paced thriller with plenty of humour and a doomed romance thrown in for good measure. The viewer is kept guessing with new questions arising constantly. When one mystery is solved, another is raised and when there are no more mysteries left, we end with a gripping sewer chase. The film makes brilliant use of shadows too, effectively extending the frame with looming sillhouettes. I'd like to see that kind of technique used more often.

Casablanca

Cinema Paradiso As the mod of a forum that derives its name from this film, I almost feel morally obliged to watch it in order to remain in good standing.

Gone With the Wind I've heard this is some kind of work of perfection, so I'm not sure why I never bothered with it.

The Third Man

The Seven Samurai I have no excuse for this as someone who has enjoyed other Kurosawas and other samurai films.

Das Boot This was something of a hit among people I went to college with and I think I was just put off by the length at the time. Not sure why.

The Thin Red Line I've actually never seen a Terence Malick film and I figure this is where I should turn to first.

A Nightmare on Elm Street Something about this film and its cultural impact has put me off watching it for years. Likewise for my next entry.

Friday the 13th I mean, these are kind of considered "classic" horror films, aren't they?

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
ProfessorClumsy I'm going choose Gone with the Wind for you. It's certainly a classic for its time even if it isn't my cup of tea. I wouldn't go so far as saying it's cinematic perfection though (well Clark Gable is).

Speaking of engaging The Godfather Part I definitely is as good as its reputation says. Al Pacino does a great job portraying Michael Corleone's fall to a ruthless villain. It was just overall well acted and well written, I really don't know what more to say, I don't know why it took me this long to watch it. It's a classic for all time.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

2. Citizen Kane - Just like Casablanca.

3. Rear Window - I haven't seen a Hitchcock movie in a long long time.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II - The next logical step.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Shawshank Redemption - I know absolutely nothing about it.

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing - Have never seen a Spike Lee film.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

dotCommunism posted:

This is pretty much the truest statement ever. I think I read some Godard remark about how he hated Ophuls, plus he called cinema truth (at 24 fps or whatever). He's a really good director, but yeah he definitely seems like a huge dick. I had an ex who used to read a big Godard book and loved the guy.
When Godard tries to make a point about something he drives me up the loving wall, but I can't stay away from him because he's a loving genius of postmodern spectacle. The blue-white-red outfit Marianne had on the boat in Pierrot le Fou is the single greatest costume design I've ever seen and I love him for it.

And his quote about cinema being truth 24 times per second is idiotic. There's even an entire film dedicated to showing how idiotic a statement it is (I'm pretty sure it's in the Recommendation thread, too).

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 16, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Clumsy, you have forsaken me!

I was stepped over!

Rush_shirt fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 16, 2010

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skwirl posted:

how does new Goddard compare to old Goddard.

There's definitely some similarity in the films at their core but his style and method of expression has changed a bit, and mostly not for the better. 60s Godard I think had less to say for himself, his characters are constantly quoting and referencing, but still had things he wanted to express and fun things he wanted to try with cinema. I don't love 60s Godard but I enjoy most of those films and can see why some do. 70s Godard I haven't seen yet so I can't comment. 80s Godard is a bit more mature and has more meaningful things to say but can't really get beyond just throwing ideas out there. He also seems to have much less of a sense of fun, or interest in making a coherent movie for the audience, and the three films I've seen from this era are pretty frustrating to watch, though not always in the same way. Godard in Eloge d'amour is 80s Godard with a bit more refined style. As I said, the film is actually pretty coherent both in terms of plot and message, which makes it easier to follow but also easier to see how underdeveloped his ideas are. His experimentation is also less fun to watch and doesn't seem to serve the film so much as just be thrown in there. In short, my impression is that as Godard got older he got less fun and more disdainful of his audience. I'd like to see some of his 90s work to see if this bears out and especially some from the 70s because I'm really curious to see what maoist Godard is like but I don't think he's really using cinema in interesting ways in the 80s and beyond.

As an aside there was a trailer for the Eloge d'amour on the DVD which I checked out because I was curious what a trailer for something like this would look like. It was a series of pretentious critics quotes over images from the film and then one snippet of a scene with the only English dialogue spoken in the film. It's oddly appropriate but so ridiculous.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The only post-70's Godard feature I've seen is Hail Mary (from 1985) and based on that I would agree with PA's assessment. That movie is didactic as hell and no fun at all. All the Godard I like is from 1960 to 1964, and even some of that is a lot of claptrap (Le Petit Soldat, Les Carabiniers). Right around 1965 it starts going downhill for me.

However, his 1986 short Meetin' WA, a kind of riff on Woody Allen, is pretty light-hearted and funny.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yeah, Meetin' WA is fun. I like Weekend, Pierrot and Alphaville, so I have some hope for 70s Godard, then I remember 2 or 3 Things and have doubts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

FitFortDanga posted:

The only post-70's Godard feature I've seen is Hail Mary (from 1985) and based on that I would agree with PA's assessment. That movie is didactic as hell and no fun at all. All the Godard I like is from 1960 to 1964, and even some of that is a lot of claptrap (Le Petit Soldat, Les Carabiniers). Right around 1965 it starts going downhill for me.

Did you enjoy Contempt? It came out in 1963, but "didactic as hell and no fun at all" is exactly how I'd describe it.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

morestuff posted:

Did you enjoy Contempt? It came out in 1963, but "didactic as hell and no fun at all" is exactly how I'd describe it.

The parts in the screening room are fun. I seem to recall some playful cinematography. It was one of my first Godards so I don't remember too much about it. If I liked him more, I'd revisit it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

marioinblack, go with Godfather Part II, as you say it's the next logical step.

As a document of a milestone in US culture it's certainly interesting. To hear the music, see the people and feel the atmosphere is certainly something worthwhile. At the same time I didn't need to see 4 hours of it. All the scenes about drugs and meditation just made me roll my eyes, the attempt at showing the impact on the community is really weak and the music was meh. The editing in the performance scenes is the only thing that stood out as filmically interesting.

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

Fires on the Plain I've owned this for like 2 years but fear it'll depress me.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

Ceddo I want to see more African films, I think I've only seen two in my life.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Die Nibelungen Since I've watched the silents that were on my list I'll put this one on here. I think it's the most well regarded of the silents I haven't seen.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series. Whoever picks this can tell me which to watch.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

thegloaming posted:

Clumsy, you have forsaken me!

I was stepped over!

I'm sorry. That was remiss of me. You get to watch 12 Angry Men. You can thank me later.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Peaceful Anarchy, obviously I want to give you Wrath of Khan, but I'm afraid nobody else will assign Die Nibelungen so get up on that one.

The Departed - I, uh, didn't like it. Great cast, terrific editing (probably the best editing I've seen in years, actually) but it just felt... doofy? The Boston accents were hard to take seriously, the pace was awkward, and I hated HATED Jack Nicholson in it. Ah well.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Midnight Cowboy I have this weird relationship with this movie where I'm dying to see it but completely forget about it every time I want to watch something.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

I'm afraid nobody else will assign Die Nibelungen

Hitler would have!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Even a broken clock's right twice a day, man. Hitler was right less than that, probably.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Penismightier, you will watch Midnight Cowboy.

Waterhaul posted:

Caiman I'm recommending Spirited Away.

While I wasn't absolutely blown away by the movie, I was highly impressed by its imagination. This was some crazy, bizarre stuff and was very entertaining. The animation was so beautifully detailed and textured. The movie did, however, feel at times to be weird for the sake of being weird. Or maybe another way to put it is that there was just too much weirdness thrown at me for two hours that I started to feel numb to it. I also felt it was a bit too long. 15 minutes trimmed off would have really helped. Over all a strong film with some amazing animation.

New list:

12 Angry Men
All About Eve
Spirited Away

Once Upon a Time in the West - I love Leone, so there is absolutely no good reason why I haven't seen this yet.

Das Boot - this is definitely one of my most shameful because I actually own the loving DVD and still have not seen it.

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - This is one pretty far up on my Netflix queue already.

The Bridge on the River Kwai - No idea why I haven't seen this one, especially considering how much I love Lawrence of Arabia.

Life is Beautiful - I know very little about this except it's made by that little hyperactive Italian guy.

Downfall - I've had this one on my netflix queue for a LONG time. Not sure why I keep demoting it.

Cinema Paradiso - I know very little about this.

The Great Dictator - I began watching this on TCM a long time ago and had to stop for some reason. I liked what I saw, and I really enjoy Chaplin.

The Apartment - I've seen two Wilder films and I love them both. So I'm sure I'll like this too.

On the Waterfront - I like Marlon Brando, so I have no hesitation to see this.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
caiman, Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite Leone film, and I think you need to fix the issue of not having seen it yet now.

It took a little while for The Godfather Part II to really get going. The first part up until the end of the Cuba scene, and after Michael learned of the abortion the movie is outstanding. It just sagged a bit in the middle, and because of that I'd have to put it under the first part. It really seemed like it took awhile for Pacino to get going. All the scenes with De Niro were fantastic though.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca
Aliens - I've seen the first, I loved the first, I love action movies, I have no excuse.

4. A Clockwork Orange - I'm not a huge fan of Kubrick, although The Shining isn't a bad movie by any stretch. I didn't really like 2001, but it wasn't my kind of movie.

5. Goodfellas - Haven't thought of seeing it.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

7. Wall-E - This will probably lead me to catch up on the rest of the Pixar I missed (everything after the Incredibles). This is something I need to change.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - The only James Stewart movie I've seen is It's a Wonderful Life, which I regard highly.

10. Gone With the Wind

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

marioinblack should watch Goodfellas.

I watched Sunset Boulevard. Great film about the strange alternate world that the rich and famous live in. The in-jokes and self-referencing would probably annoy me in a modern film but with 60 years past I allow it a lot more leeway, and it does genuinely seem to add to the film when you know the connections between the actors and their characters - Erich von Stroheim being a former director of silents, Cecil B DeMille having given Gloria Swanson her big break.

Swanson gave the slightly absurd melodramtic performance the character demanded, William Holden plays sarcastic very well and did a great job with the voice-over (which I normally aren't keen on since 90% of performers sound like they can't be bothered and it's hard to pay attention to them).

Side note: I just realised that film was inspiration for a pretty good episode of Columbo that had Janet Leigh in it... as I'm watching this I get the nagging feeling that I've seen something very similar but in colour until it dawned on me near the end.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Lawrence of Arabia - It's very long?

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lawrence of Arabia for Noxville. I feel like I'm choosing the same few films over and over but I guess it needs to be done.

Both parts of Die Nibelungen were really good. I really liked that it was broken down into 20 minute acts, as it made it feel like a brisk series of short films rather than one long one. It's one big mythical tale of adventure, intrigue and eventually revenge that's very entertaining. The first one was more adventurous and fun, while the second was darker and maybe a little drawn out. I don't see what made this Hitler's favourite film though. Other than the Huns being visually depicted as orcs they're just as loyal and true as the Germans and frankly more justified in their actions. To me it reads as pride and blind loyalty to the German race is its downfall. Really, though, they're protecting a coward who killed a German ubermensch and then their own king's nephew. What the gently caress?

Updated list:
Berlin Alexanderplatz This is longer than the above and unlike those I'm less confident I'll like it.

City of Sadness I was looking through TSPDT list of top 200 directors and Hsiao-hsien Hou is the only one I haven't seen a film from, so maybe I should rectify that.

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 3 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Shoah If Hoop Dreams made me tear up this is going to make me cry my eyes out isn't it.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture or Wrath of Khan I watched the movie that came out last year but other than that I've never seen any of the movies or TV series. Whoever picks this can tell me which to watch.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild8.5/10

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

ProfessorClumsy posted:

I'm sorry. That was remiss of me. You get to watch 12 Angry Men. You can thank me later.

Okay, queued up and good to go.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

WHAT DID YOUR FATHER TEACH YOU?

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I'll go with this. Interested to hear more about African cinema.

I'm still kind of absorbing Les Enfants Du Paradis but first impression is man, that's a hell of a movie. The sets and costumes were absolutely beautiful, the writing was great, and the entire cast of characters came off as incredibly well-rounded. Barrault as Baptiste was tremendous, he has such a wonderfully expressive face. It also has a fantastic story, and ends almost perfectly.

New list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Dr. Strangelove Yeah, that's right. I've never seen this movie, and in all honesty if it weren't for this thread I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, like, ever.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

tokillthesunflower posted:

Dr. Strangelove Yeah, that's right. I've never seen this movie, and in all honesty if it weren't for this thread I probably wouldn't have gotten around to it, like, ever.

Go watch this.

Got to American Beauty, and I enjoyed it. I was surprised by how darkly comedic it was (mostly thanks to Kevin Spacey), although I guess that might have something to do with me expecting something similar to Revolutionary Road, which thankfully was not the case.

Updated List:
1) The Diving Bell And The Butterfly - This one's been near the top of my queue forever, but I always have something bumping it down a slot.
2) American Beauty - While the ending is spoiled, I should still probably see this.
2) Network - Been wanting to watch this as of late, someone pick it.
3) Eraserhead - I need to catch up on my David Lynch (I've only seen Blue Velvet :ohdear: )
4) Downfall - Seen far too many stupid youtube videos about this but not the actual film.
5) The Squid And The Whale - Well it is was the movie of the month, so...
6) Chinatown - Stumped to why I haven't seen this yet as I've had numerous chances.
7) City Of God - I've seen the first 10 minutes, but then got sidetracked. Someone put me back on track.
7) Lawrence Of Arabia - Never got the chance to see this, definitely need to change that.
8) 12 Angry Men - I've heard this movie mentioned repeatedly lately, so I figure I should see this.
8) One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - No excuse, need to see this.
9) Shakespeare In Love - Decided to go through the best picture winners backwards and pick the first one I haven't seen. Not sure this was a good idea.
9) Rain Man - Continuing on with the best picture winners that I haven't seen.
9) The Deer Hunter - Jumping around the best picture list a bit, but I just realized I've seen Heaven's Gate but not this. What.
10) Terrence Malick - Haven't seen any of his films. Pick one and I'll give it a try.

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

JVO posted:

Go watch this.

I knew that was gonna happen.

JVO
Nov 30, 2007

In your PANTS.

I knew that was gonna happen.

Your enthusiasm for it was just too strong to pass up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

JVO, no reason to break tradition, I'm giving you Lawrence Of Arabia as well.

I'll go with this. Interested to hear more about African cinema.
I really don't think it's fair to speak about African cinema based on a single film, or even the 3 films I've seen. But one thing I will say is that it's strange how aware I am that I'm watching a different culture in a way that I don't get when watching other foreign films. There's an extra cultural barrier that I don't feel even when watching an Indian or Iranian film, for example, and I can't quite put my finger on it. The other thing the three films I've seen have in common is that they're about dealing with cultural invasion, but where the other two (Xala and Touki Bouki) were strictly about French colonialism this one is broader, set in a village dealing with an Islamic Imam trying to convert the villagers, the Catholic arms dealing white man and the native culture. I found this to be the most fascinating African film I've seen, and in fact one of the best films I've seen period. Semebene is an accomplished director and while some limitations are apparent the film is very nicely shot and edited. I can't judge the acting but the writing is sharp and incisive and the delivery is certainly good enough to make the film work. While many nuances are lost on me, both the plot and the the general message are crystal clear as Semebene emphatically makes his point about religious domination. I feel hardpressed to put into words how amazing I think this film is having just finished it, but it is definitely something everyone here should check out.

Updated list:

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

All right, Peaceful Anarchy, it's Wrath of Khan time. I hope you liked the Chris Pine one because a whole shitload of it was ripped off from this one.

Midnight Cowboy Well. That wasn't what I expected. It was like two movies going on at once - a good, sensitive story of two men down-and-out in New York. Moments of it, like when they're freezing in the apartment reminded me of Fat City crossed with The Pawnbroker. But then there was the other movie gong on - the terribly dated, wanna-be avant garde clusterfuck - like those terrible dream scenes. Hoffman, Voight, and Nilsson deserved better.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Red Shoes I'm scared of musicals

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ok, I'm going to watch this right now. Hopefully, I can finally make you watch The Red Shoes, out in glorious BluRay tomorrow, when I come back.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The Red Shoes! go watch The Red Shoes penismightier.

Watched Wrath of Khan, it was OK. The first 20 minutes were really really cheesy but once it got going I'll admit I was drawn in and enjoyed myself. Nothing great or that I'd particularly want to watch again but it was fine and I'd wouldn't mind watching some other Star Trek movies. Also, I expected the Khaaaaan scream to be bigger and longer.

Updated list:

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 19, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Time to cry! It was either this or Alexanderplatz and this one just seemed more interesting on reading the synopsis. Plus, I didn't want to be the rear end in a top hat that assigns you a 15 hour epic.

Okay, so I finally got around to watching Chinatown. I just don't get it what is so spectacular about it. Sure, the actors were all good, Nicholson being incredible, but it just didn't hit a nerve with me. As a matter of fact, I found a good portion of the movie boring. I just didn't care about anyone in that movie besides Nicholson and his reasons for wanting to get to the bottom of what was happening weren't that exciting. Also, I don't know why it's called Chinatown, when it's not even a factor in the movie, just alluded to as a hard time in Nicholson's past.

No, perhaps film noir style just isn't for me.

My updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jul 20, 2010

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I will watch Berlin Alexanderplatz if someone picks it for PA.

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet

thegloaming posted:

I will watch Berlin Alexanderplatz if someone picks it for PA.

If I get the chance, I will definitely pick it. But I still have to watch White and Red.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. Citizen Kane. The same problem here as The Usual Suspects. I know what Rosebud is. I'm afraid that I'm going to think it's over rated.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown

Hello fellow non-fan of Chinatown. I disliked it for the same reasons you said. While everyone gave a great performance, I just didn't enjoy it. I assign you to watch Citizen Kane, because I love Orson Welles. Maybe you will too. If you enjoy it, watch RKO 281, a story about the making of Citizen Kane, starring Liev Schreiber. It's really good.

As for my list, I pulled parts of my list from this thread and some are from my Netflix queue that I keep bumping down for other stuff. Maybe I'll finally get some old stuff off of it.

Casablanca- My dad loves this movie and was always trying to get me to watch it as I was growing up. I think him liking it so much turned me off of it so I've just never watched it.
Scarface and Rocky- No good reasons why I've never seen these two movies. *shrug*
Rear Window- I went on an adding spree and put a ton of Hitchcock on my queue and then deleted all of them the next day. I'd like to get started on at least one of his movies.
When Harry Met Sally...- One of the classic rom coms. All my girlfriends try to get me to watch this movie and I never do. It doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Billy Crystal or Meg Ryan.
Seven Samurai- One of my husband's favorite films. I even bought the special edition DVD for him. Just never wanted to sit down and watch it, even though I love every other samurai film I've ever seen (mostly the Zaitoichi series).
My Neighbor Totoro- I have some friends that are Japanophiles and they love this film. I also enjoyed Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, so I don't know why I haven't seen this yet.
Forbidden Planet and The Last Starfighter- I'm a huge sci-fi fan and these are two sci-fi classics that I just haven't seen.
Natural Born Killers- I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone, and I've heard that this film is just violent for violence's sake, so it's never appealed to me on any level. I do like Woody Harrelson though.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Skutter posted:

Natural Born Killers- I'm not a big fan of Oliver Stone, and I've heard that this film is just violent for violence's sake, so it's never appealed to me on any level. I do like Woody Harrelson though.

I know I can't pick for you, but this movie is so amazingly good. It's not violent just to be violent. It's violent because that's what gets butts in seats. That's the whole point of the movie: That violence, sex, etc. sells. It's a social commentary and I think it makes it's point perfectly.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Skutter, you might as well watch Casablanca and get an understanding of why your dad loves it so much. Plus the film is very good in its own right.

Goodfellas is one of the finest movies I've ever seen. The plot was engaging, and it really put me in that world and gave meaning behind why they live that way. The camera work was magnificent and really helped set the scene throughout the movie. I felt like I could understand Liotta's motives even when he was high off his rear end. I can't remember the last time I felt close to a character when that character was a completely different personality. What a fantastic movie.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II
On the Waterfront - I guess I've thrown a Brando one out there already, might as well do another.

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
marioinblack, you get to watch Do The Right Thing; it's pretty drat fantastic.

So, Annie Hall. I really liked the structure and the fourth wall breaking, and in general it was a really well done film, but I think Woody Allen's character kind of ruined it for me. Part of the charm of the film is that both Annie and Alvy are pretty drat flawed, but I found Alvy pretty unlikeable (though I do love his asides to the camera and almost anything he does in LA). I did love the scene when they're on Annie's balcony talking about film though; it was probably my favorite in the entire movie.

I feel like such a bad neurotic New Yorker for not loving this film. :(

quote:

1. Chinatown - No excuse besides general film deprivation.

2. Fitzcarraldo - Saw Herzog's Bad Lieutenant, loved it, just saw Aguirre and loved Klaus Kinski, so this seems like a logical next step.

3. Taxi Driver, or any Scorcese, really - Also no excuse

4. Imitation of Life - I was sick the day I had to watch this for class; I loved Written on the Wind, so I should really just watch it already.

5. A Fistful of Dollars - I've only seen two westerns ever, and only one Eastwood movie, so I figure I'd start here.

6. Annie Hall - I've never seen a Woody Allen film. Badlands - I have never seen a Terrence Malick film.

7. North by Northwest - I've seen Rear Window, and I'm not really that into Hitchcock, but he's another director I feel like I need to see more of.

8. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Just never saw it. The Player - I've never seen anything Altman, and after my boss at my internship said that it sometimes reminded him of his job, I've begun to feel like I should have seen it.

9. The Godfather, Part II - I love The Godfather, but haven't seen this. Infernal Affairs - I was interested in The Departed when it came out but never ended up seeing it, and I also feel like I need to see more Chinese film, or at least one that hasn't left me in tears at the end (Crouching Tiger did because it was beautiful, My Fair Farewell My Concubine did because it crushes your soul within the first 30 minutes and then keeps going).

10. Star Wars. Let the Right One In - I wanted to see this so bad when it came out, but never got the chance.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I voted this thread 5 because it's been going on 1.5 months and I still like the concept.

Vertigo - I was excited to see this because it's #2 on the TSPDT list. I was glad the parts I had previously seen on TV did not give away any of the major plotpoints of the film.

The mystery in this film kept me interested for the whole duration. And I was surprised a couple of times.

I kind of laughed about halfway through the film it seemed like Scottie was taking far too much advantage of a presumedly mentally ill woman.

I also watched:
Amelie - It reminded me of toned down Delicatessen..then after watching it I see that the same guy directed both..so it all made sense. The style is quirky and kind of annoying at times but definitely distinctive. Amelie is kind of a busybody.

New List:

#8 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - I've seen so many Jack Nicholson movies that this has been put on the back burner. I saw the trailer once.

#13 Seven Samurai - I saw the Magnificent Seven many years ago on VHS and have avoided repetition (even though this is the original, seminal work.)

#49 Paths of Glory - I've heard this referenced before but know little about it.
The movie poster has Kirk Douglas with a bored look on his face.

#51 The Pianist - When this came out I didn't feel like seeing yet another WWII movie (I must've seen at least ten that year.) Since then I have forgotten about watching it.

#52 To Kill a Mockingbird - I've read the book and I've sat through multiple tiresome discussions on it in the classroom. I may have actually seen all of this but definitely not in one session.

#66 The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - I know it has the famous "badges" quote. That alone hasn't been persuading enough to make me watch it.

#67 City Lights - Almost rented this once and then I went back later to get it and the copy inexplicably disappeared never to return.

#71 The Prestige - I heard about this being good but I've developed a jaded skepticism over the years about most highly rated new movies because frankly they usually don't deliver. Maybe if it's reached this high it's worth a look.

#72 Inglourious Basterds - The trailer seemed like a giant farcical mess. And Pitt's accent during that "killing nazis" scene has been enough to hold me off on this for a year so far.

#76 Singin' in the Rain - I rarely seek out musicals. That song is like kryptonite to me.

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

Taxi Driver

You can watch this NYC film. If you don't like it you may have to move out of the city.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Zogo you get One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest since it's my favourite of the bunch.

I made it! For the first 15 minutes or so I was thinking that this wasn't so bad, it's just interviews with people surely I could stand that. Then it hit me and every so often it would hit me again and I'd start sobbing not at anything in particular but just at the enormity of the whole thing. I just can't describe in words what it felt like, and that, in turn, makes me realize how little I can truly get of what these people experienced. Anyway, it's a very interesting film that's both too long and too short. It's too long because emotionally even 9 hours was trying and I'm not sure I could take more. On the other hand I was never bored or uninterested and I'm sure there are enough stories for it to last many hours longer. The editing of the subjects is at times very effective in providing a contrast between the different viewpoints and experiences, though it's also at times clearly biased. If there's one real criticism I have it's that I really don't like Lanzmann's interview style. He's very smug and aggressive, not just with the former Nazis and the Polish bystanders but sometimes with the Jewish victims as well, and while it does seem to get results at times there are others where I feel it makes the subjects hold back. It's not a huge deal, since it gives some indirect insight into Lanzmann's personal motivations, but it's the one thing that stood out to me. This is something everyone should watch but I wouldn't blame anyone for not wanting to.

Updated list:

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
Watch City of Sadness to rectify your lack of Hsiao-hsien Hou.

Do the Right Thing is a very good race relation film. Really nobody comes off as a good guy here as it shows everyone is flawed and nobody's really doing anything to change it. Not a perfect movie by any means, but it was really meant to convey its message and it did that well. Very well casted too.

marioinblack posted:

1. Casablanca

5. Goodfellas
Raging Bull - I'll have to put another Scorsese film on here since I enjoyed Goodfellas so much.

6.Godfather Part I
Godfather Part II

8. Chinatown

9. 12 Angry Men

10. Gone With the Wind
Do the Right Thing
Back to the Future - The ultimate shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokillthesunflower
Oct 18, 2009

marioinblack, you've got several good options to choose from on your list, but having just watched some Kubrick, I'm going to recommend you some Kubrick. Go watch A Clockwork Orange.

So I get why pretty much everyone I've ever met has told me to watch Dr. Strangelove. What a ludicrous and wonderful movie. It has Kubrick's amazing direction and camera work, but on top of that it's hilarious, which I don't remember getting from other films of his that I've watched. I've also never seen George C. Scott like that before. The president was my favorite Sellers bit, mostly because of the phone calls to Kissoff. Really really glad I did actually get around to watching this.

New list:
A Fistful of Dollars I hated westerns when I was younger. Funnily enough the one that changed my mind was The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Still not sure why I haven't seen the first two.

The Conformist Just recently found out about this movie, and it has not yet made it up my Netflix.

Sunrise Same as The Conformist

The African Queen Once again, no good reason.

The Rules of the Game Honestly never even heard of this film.

The Seven Samurai My brother is in love with this movie, so I've seen bits and pieces of it, but never the whole thing start to finish.

The Passion of Joan of Arc I'm running out of excuses here.

La Dolce Vita Saw 8 1/2, liked it well enough, but haven't gone any further into Fellini's films.

The Gold Rush Continuing my Chaplin journey.

Breathless Never seen any Godard.

Finally watched: Lawrence of Arabia, Annie Hall, Vertigo, Braveheart, Battleship Potemkin, It's a Wonderful Life, Tokyo Story, The Bicycle Thief, Rashomon, Night of the Hunter, La Grande Illusion, City Lights, The Grapes of Wrath, The General, Les Enfants Du Paradis, Dr. Strangelove