Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

nobody still played with GI Joes in 1996 you goddamn dinosaur

look at this lil nub who was still loving his pillow when I was rollin barrio logan bumpin Too $hort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Why not? It's great evidence in my view of the person of ordinary skill in the art at a given time; if the teaching is so common as to be on Wikipedia, it's in fact below the ordinary skill to something like lay unskilled in the art.

e: I use Wikipedia as 102(b) references all the time: it's published, the end!
Because anyone can change it. The citation was used to support a fairly obscure factual proposition. It's just poor practice to use it for such a purpose in a big case. Find a respected book that says the same thing.

Whether you can use it as a 102(b) reference is a different question, and the answer is a clear yes, for the reason you state.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
fast food chat ITT

We sent an engagement letter to a client via email, PDF format, and the client responds by telling us that he can't open the file format.

...who doesn't have Adobe Acrobat Reader these days? WTF.

I ended up sending the letter in two Word formats, one .DOCX and one .DOC, since I can't be sure that this client can open .DOCX.

I almost sent him a download link to Adobe Acrobat but he's not paying us to correct his techno-ignorance.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Phil Moscowitz posted:

look at this lil nub who was still loving his pillow when I was rollin barrio logan bumpin Too $hort

Is pillow loving a thing? Because I have a lot of pillows and I've always been a curious person.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gvibes posted:

Because anyone can change it.

Who cares? That's not the standard for whether something is prior art: it's merely "person wrote a thing." If person wrote a thing over one year before filing, 102(b) bar, the end.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
JudicialRestraints why would you agree with that non-attorney in the legal questions thread :( Don't encourage the rabble, even if they do get lucky and occasionally spout a truth.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

entris posted:

JudicialRestraints why would you agree with that non-attorney in the legal questions thread :( Don't encourage the rabble, even if they do get lucky and occasionally spout a truth.
Guess who also isn't an attorney.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nm posted:

Guess who also isn't an attorney.

Yeah but at least he's a law student. I cut them some slack.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
You fuckers don't know what a burger is supposed to be.

Luckily, Steve Stodghill, a principal at Fish and Richardson in Dallas, decided to invest in restaurants so he could show you what a real goddamned burger should be.

Behold, the Stodg:

Bacon, Aged Cheddar, a fried egg, a half pound burger patty, and the bun is smeared with foie gras.

http://www.theporchrestaurant.com/menu.php

The rest of you are just peons.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
ain't no green peppers in McDonalds, what you need eggs for, you makin egg mcmuffin

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
as long as we're burgerchatting

http://burgermap.org

when I get a chance I'm going to make it easier to submit / find good places near you (the burgermap app!), but for the moment go ahead and add in your favorites the old fashioned way.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Luckily, Steve Stodghill, a principal at Fish and Richardson in Dallas, decided to invest in restaurants so he could show you what a real goddamned burger should be.

Behold, the Stodg:

Bacon, Aged Cheddar, a fried egg, a half pound burger patty, and the bun is smeared with foie gras.

Hey that's less than 2 miles from where I work.... think I'll check it out today.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

billion dollar bitch posted:

Okay, according to Columbia records, 24 people accepted offers at DC firms last summer. Given that only 266 people accepted offers in general, I think that's okay - a lot of the DC offices/firms didn't receive more than 20 bids or so. I don't know anyone else applying down in DC, either.

The problem with DC is it's the second-best law city, but there's just not that many jobs for people. There's so many more jobs avalible in New York that going pure-DC will be hard because more than 10% of the class will be interested in DC.

However, you've got a great backup plan if you want to be in DC since that's where a lot of the government jobs are, you should be looking at those as well.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

Behold, the Stodg:

:nyd:

Please. Don't even try.

Ray's Hell Burger, right outside DC, serves burgers that are made from incredibly high quality butcher cuts. They too have a burger on their menu that has foie gras on it, but Ray's comes with truffle oil. Truffle oil. You can also get burgers with cognac + sherry sauteed mushrooms, or with shallots, etc.

http://www.allmenus.com/va/arlington/273616-rays-hell-burger/menu/

Ray's Hell Burger has hosted the only black President of the God-blessed United States of America. Twice.

http://dcist.com/2009/05/obama_and_biden_lunch_at_rays_hell.php

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0624/Ray-s-Hell-Burger-Obama-and-Medvedev-have-historic-hamburger-summit

/I had to put "only black" as a qualifier because I'm pretty sure McDonald's holds the record for most Presidential visits to a hamburger place, given Bill Clinton.

entris fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 16, 2010

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Who cares? That's not the standard for whether something is prior art: it's merely "person wrote a thing." If person wrote a thing over one year before filing, 102(b) bar, the end.

Right but that's not the use he was discussing. It probably needed more context but I got the sense that the wikipedia cite was to describe some technical background concept or establish a device using particular method of operation or something.

Plus it means their associate spent 5 minutes googling it instead of 10 hours looking it up in an obscure treatise, way too efficient to be good lawyering on a large (and I'm assuming high-budget) patent case.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

OptimistPrime posted:

Right but that's not the use he was discussing. It probably needed more context but I got the sense that the wikipedia cite was to describe some technical background concept or establish a device using particular method of operation or something.

Plus it means their associate spent 5 minutes googling it instead of 10 hours looking it up in an obscure treatise, way too efficient to be good lawyering on a large (and I'm assuming high-budget) patent case.

The wikipedia cite is more insulting to the other side.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
just wanted to take a minute and commend those two Emory 0Ls in this thread on their well-researched choice

quote:

What do [Emory Career Services] do to help? Nothing. Then becomes even clearer when you look to our past two OCI cycles:

Spring 2010:
* 4 Total Jobs
– 1 Military
– 1 Public Interest
– 1 Job in Georgia (yes, the entire state)
– 1 Job in Alabama

Fall 2010:
* 1 Total Job (not a misprint)

So let’s assume we have 8 full-time employees in career services. For Spring 2010, each employee brought ½ job to OCI. This Fall, they brought 1/8 a job a piece.

i hope you have to fight each other in a murder pit with sharpened sticks for that 1 job

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

The problem with DC is it's the second-best law city, but there's just not that many jobs for people. There's so many more jobs avalible in New York that going pure-DC will be hard because more than 10% of the class will be interested in DC.

However, you've got a great backup plan if you want to be in DC since that's where a lot of the government jobs are, you should be looking at those as well.

Of course I'll be applying to the government jobs as well - OCI isn't until later though.

But EIP bidding is over, and I'm locked in. All I really want is Crowell and Mooring, because they seem to treat their people very well, and seem to have a good atmosphere.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Of course I'll be applying to the government jobs as well - OCI isn't until later though.

But EIP bidding is over, and I'm locked in. All I really want is Crowell and Mooring, because they seem to treat their people very well, and seem to have a good atmosphere.

I really like my firm actually though the paralegal I was talking to last night was telling me horror stories, but fortunately they were mostly attorneys dumping huge amounts of work on her and then leaving for the day.

But yeah "treats their employees humanely" is basically the most important thing to look for right after "is this place firing everyone including you even though you don't even have a job yet they're just giving you an offer so they can fire more people"

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Even for staff, they conducted voluntary layoffs. That was impressive for me.

I mean honestly, 3.28 ... what do you think my chances are?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I have no idea, frankly. The whole process is still opaque to me, even after going through it and while I know firms do GPA cutoffs (though I don't know how widespread it is, what it is, ect) I know nothing else about what goes into the decisions. I do know you'll loathe the doubletree and never want to see it ever again by the end though.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

entris posted:

Ray's Hell Burger

Please add "efb" to this post. Thanks.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mookie posted:

Please add "efb" to this post. Thanks.

I don't understand your instruction.

is "efb" = "edit: gently caress, beaten" ?

Because I don't see a reference to Ray's within the last few pages of burger chat.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Ah, sorry - it wasn't cited for prior art purposes.

More like this:

OptimistPrime posted:

e: Specifically, it was in claim construction briefing, and one side basically said "term X means Y," the other side responded, "Well, Y is an example of an X, but R, S, and T are also Xes (look at wikipedia!), so the proposed construction is too narrow."

gvibes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 16, 2010

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
How did Obama ruin Hell Burger?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TyChan posted:

Who said he did? I only said that he visited there twice (that we know of... he could've slipped in all incognito.)

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

TyChan posted:

He regulated the chefs and required every resident of the DC/Virginia area to buy one every day. He's socialized our Hell burgers!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

Hey that's less than 2 miles from where I work.... think I'll check it out today.

Theoretically the best burger in Texas is at The Grape but I don't know how well those claims hold up.

Oh man. We really need to do more restaurant chat. Dallas is one hell of a food city. :love:

Everything at the Porch is amazing but the mussels and the Stodg are to die for. Also it's a good place to hunt MILFs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

entris posted:

:nyd:

Please. Don't even try.

Ray's Hell Burger, right outside DC, serves burgers that are made from incredibly high quality butcher cuts. They too have a burger on their menu that has foie gras on it, but Ray's comes with truffle oil. Truffle oil. You can also get burgers with cognac + sherry sauteed mushrooms, or with shallots, etc.

http://www.allmenus.com/va/arlington/273616-rays-hell-burger/menu/

Ray's Hell Burger has hosted the only black President of the God-blessed United States of America. Twice.

http://dcist.com/2009/05/obama_and_biden_lunch_at_rays_hell.php

http://www.csmonitor.com/From-the-news-wires/2010/0624/Ray-s-Hell-Burger-Obama-and-Medvedev-have-historic-hamburger-summit

/I had to put "only black" as a qualifier because I'm pretty sure McDonald's holds the record for most Presidential visits to a hamburger place, given Bill Clinton.

Does your burger place require a jacket and tie just to get in the door? No? No it doesn't? Then get out with your cognac truffle oil foie gras burgers.

they changed the dress code and now they let in any old riff raff. :(

evilweasel posted:

I really like my firm actually though the paralegal I was talking to last night was telling me horror stories, but fortunately they were mostly attorneys dumping huge amounts of work on her and then leaving for the day.

But yeah "treats their employees humanely" is basically the most important thing to look for right after "is this place firing everyone including you even though you don't even have a job yet they're just giving you an offer so they can fire more people"

This is what I thought before the crisis. Now I think that you should seriously consider prestige as a proxy for exit opportunities. Your life will probably be worse at a more prestigious firm but it may end up being worth it in the end.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

builds character posted:

This is what I thought before the crisis. Now I think that you should seriously consider prestige as a proxy for exit opportunities. Your life will probably be worse at a more prestigious firm but it may end up being worth it in the end.

To be honest, I hadn't really thought of that.

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

CaptainScraps posted:

Theoretically the best burger in Texas is at The Grape but I don't know how well those claims hold up.

Oh man. We really need to do more restaurant chat. Dallas is one hell of a food city. :love:

Everything at the Porch is amazing but the mussels and the Stodg are to die for. Also it's a good place to hunt MILFs.

Pfft, Dallas. I'll go to Dallas for a burger when I need my beemer serviced and my trophy wife washed.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Daico posted:

Pfft, Dallas. I'll go to Dallas for a burger when I need my beemer serviced and my trophy wife washed.

My boy, there are some things you can't get in Dallas. You can't get tacos worth a poo poo or barbecue worth a drat.

But in Austin, you can't get sushi worth a gently caress, any sort of german food, great middle eastern food or good Cantonese.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

builds character posted:

Now I think that you should seriously consider prestige as a proxy for exit opportunities. Your life will probably be worse at a more prestigious firm but it may end up being worth it in the end.

This is the rule that applies to firms and prestige no matter how good or bad the economy is. Firm prestige shouldn't matter as much as it does, but it does because people choose to put meaning into it.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Daico posted:

What's that smell? Oh that's right it's Houston. (doesn't work if your not from Houston)

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Green Crayons posted:

I'm dubious of these claims of solo greatness only because "immigration law" doesn't sound like it nets one all the hookers and blow and phat cars and stacks of money that I've been led to believe a JD would hand me on a silver platter.

I never claimed I was great or greatly successful but that the legal market is very healthy for many solos and small firm partners. In the last 30 days, I've grossed more than I did my first year in business.

As a starting solo with only $2k/month in expenses, you only need one client/month to break even or even make a profit. It is surely difficult and most solos will likely fail, business is loving good for those that make it.

OptimistPrime
Jul 18, 2008

evilweasel posted:

The other thing is to remember that things change. Now that poo poo has hit the fan and is slowly pulling back together, it's easier to gauge how a firm will react, but when I chose a place, I did it based on their perceived "humanity" and didn't mind that their prestige was confined to one region.

Now I'm laid off in a slow market, and the only firm on my resume has a name most coastal people can't pronounce, let alone recognize.

OptimistPrime fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 16, 2010

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
How many significant figures should a GPA contain?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

OptimistPrime posted:

The other thing is to remember that things change. Now that poo poo has hit the fan and is slowly pulling back together, it's easier to gauge how a firm will react, but when I chose a place, I did it based on their perceived "humanity" and didn't mind that their prestige was confined to one region.

Now I'm laid off in a slow market, and the only firm on my resume has a name most coastal people can't pronounce, let alone recognize.

Conversely, firm prestige also often means poo poo. Latham used to be a top 10 firm on everyone's radar when I went to school all of five years ago. After they made "to Latham" into a verb, I imagine their prestige means less now even for people who stuck around and are trying to lateral out.

Frankly, I would put layoffs/lack thereof above everything else. Yes, prestige sort of matters when getting out. It just doesn't matter as much as an extra six months of paychecks, which in turn translates to six extra months to interview while still employed.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Seriously?

Adar posted:

Frankly, I would put layoffs/lack thereof above everything else. Yes, prestige sort of matters when getting out. It just doesn't matter as much as an extra six months of paychecks, which in turn translates to six extra months to interview while still employed.
I'm just not entirely convinced that past conduct is a great indicator of future conduct.

If between X.X5 and X.X9, then one digit after the decimal. If between X.X0 and X.X4, then two.

gvibes fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gvibes posted:

Seriously?

I ended up making my decision solely on layoff potential (though it worked out) but yeah, it just never really occured to me.

Worrying thing I just discovered: one of the paralegals just told me we have showers on one of the floors (not associated with a gym or anything). That's, uh, not a good sign.

I think two is pretty standard.