Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Daktar posted:

^
One of us! One of us!

Try playing through as a sniper. At max skill with a fully modded sniper rifle you can take out security cameras, turrets, even alarm panels unless I'm mistaken. It's pretty hilarious taking out all the security measures before you even get close and leaving the guards with no backup.

I think I had rifles at trained levels and I put just about every single mod I had on the sniper rifle and it behaved as if I were mastered on rifles. That was pretty awesome but it was also my non lethal playthrough so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Does anyone know where to find the UC keypad codes for area 4 in Area 51? I ended up Googling them and felt like a tool when I found out the code was 1234 but I have no idea where to find that in-game.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
How does one recharge their bio energy or whatever it's called? I liked using my flashlight :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Use the little blue disc battery cells from your inventory, or get up close and personal with an orange maintenance bot. You tend to find energy cells in crates, or on the bodies of technologically advanced enemies. Maintenance bots tend to hang out where maintenance needs doing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GoldenNugget posted:

I think I had rifles at trained levels and I put just about every single mod I had on the sniper rifle and it behaved as if I were mastered on rifles. That was pretty awesome but it was also my non lethal playthrough so...
If you go master rifles with a tricked out silent rifle, you will pretty much be god with the ability to 1-hit kill any humanoid enemy in the game silently, destroy cameras and turrets, and blast open many weak- to mid-level doors. If you're the exploring type, you should be swimming in ammo by the endgame, too. I know the max is 13 additional magazines because that's what I almost always had. It's basically easy mode.

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Penguingo posted:

You tend to find energy cells in crates, or on the bodies of technologically advanced enemies.

Also, some technologically advanced enemies don't leave bodies unless you stun them. You're a way off from that, though :)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Penguingo posted:

Use the little blue disc battery cells from your inventory, or get up close and personal with an orange maintenance bot. You tend to find energy cells in crates, or on the bodies of technologically advanced enemies. Maintenance bots tend to hang out where maintenance needs doing.

This is something I love about Deus Ex. Everything seems like it should be there.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

KillHour posted:

This is something I love about Deus Ex. Everything seems like it should be there.

There's one spot in the Paris catacombs where a malfunctioning machine is spewing electricity, and a repair bot is locked up nearby. Unlock the gate, and the bot repairs the machine. :c00l:

P.S. We need a Deus Ex smilie. Ideas?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Does anyone know where to find the UC keypad codes for area 4 in Area 51? I ended up Googling them and felt like a tool when I found out the code was 1234 but I have no idea where to find that in-game.

I *think* the code is on a datacube on the lowest level. Personally, I've always just GEP-ed the doors.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Carbohydrates posted:

If you go master rifles with a tricked out silent rifle, you will pretty much be god with the ability to 1-hit kill any humanoid enemy in the game silently, destroy cameras and turrets, and blast open many weak- to mid-level doors. If you're the exploring type, you should be swimming in ammo by the endgame, too. I know the max is 13 additional magazines because that's what I almost always had. It's basically easy mode.

I invariably do this almost every time I play through Deus Ex. I've tried different approaches but there's something beautiful about the sniper rifle.

Also, seconding the Deus Ex smilie. JC's face.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

Alright, the north dish, south dish, west dish deal. Does this follow reasonable logic and can be figured out, or is this the point where I ask someone how to solve it?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Cheekio posted:

Alright, the north dish, south dish, west dish deal. Does this follow reasonable logic and can be figured out, or is this the point where I ask someone how to solve it?

It's simpler than you think. Just find the computer, log into/hack it, and click all the buttons.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

It's simpler than you think. Just find the computer, log into/hack it, and click all the buttons.

alright, did that three times already, and I didn't get any sort of follow up messages or further orders as far as I can tell. All the dishes are pointing in random, different directions, and god dammit the west radar is on the east side of the other two. What gives?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Gynovore posted:

P.S. We need a Deus Ex smilie. Ideas?

Kind of like :frogout: but JC's face and 'My vision is augmented' for the speech bubble or similar is what I'm picturing.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cheekio posted:

alright, did that three times already, and I didn't get any sort of follow up messages or further orders as far as I can tell. All the dishes are pointing in random, different directions, and god dammit the west radar is on the east side of the other two. What gives?

You have to go use the other computer in that building to actually send the message.

Prof. Fantastic
Aug 24, 2007

Everybody needs a little Scooter Duck in their lives...

XausF1 posted:

Kind of like :frogout: but JC's face and 'My vision is augmented' for the speech bubble or similar is what I'm picturing.

If some one is seriously considering buying one, I always imagined something like this, except him saying something "what a shame." I dunno, maybe that way, it could be used as a sarcastic sympathy thing?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
gently caress all of you, the smiley should clearly be JC Tenton stuffing a candybar into his mouth. Duh. It would be used to mock fatties the world over.

My hunger is augmented.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's amazing we don't have a DX smiley already.

:frogc00l: what a shame

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Is it just me or does SA make smilies blurry or something?

I was bored

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Mathemagician posted:

I was bored

It's just you. Also that's a great emoticon.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
Huh, my browser was zoomed in one tik for some reason. That explains a lot.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Mathemagician posted:

I was bored

The speech bubble needs to slide out from behind his head.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
Also it should say 'get a job.'

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Maybe we can make an Alex D emoticon that says "What a bomb" to be ironic.

Gynovore posted:

I *think* the code is on a datacube on the lowest level. Personally, I've always just GEP-ed the doors.
I'm playing a super spy sort of character so this isn't really possible however I do have the light rocket launcher that I found in the MJ12 facility in New York.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mathemagician posted:

I was bored

I'm ready to put down real :10bux: to make this a emote.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Reconciling the GEP gun with a stealthy approach is one of the hardest aspects of the game for me, at the beginning at least. I know that, using the GEP gun, I could get at least 2 augmentations and one upgrade cannister with three rockets when I would have had to use at least three lockpicks and a couple multitools, but it's kind of in contradiction to the Solid Snake approach. MY OCD

E: If I want to get rid of the SP rewards Shifter introduces, do I just switch off NewSkillSystem, or is that referring to something else?

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 16, 2010

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

uncleKitchener posted:

I'm ready to put down real :10bux: to make this a emote.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

Supernorn posted:

This. I was waiting for someone to render JC from a different angle.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Supernorn posted:

This is almost perfect, though I think it needs a little more definition to the face, like the cheeks.

KillHour posted:

Honestly, if I thought anybody really gave a poo poo, I could blab on a nice fat post explaining what I think is at the core of designing a decent area in Deus Ex.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Fnoigy posted:

Honestly, if I thought anybody really gave a poo poo, I could blab on a nice fat post explaining what I think is at the core of designing a decent area in Deus Ex.

What, you mean just designing a logical structure? One with bathrooms, and hallways, and offices, and streets with stores in all the right places, and stairs where they logically would be, and a boiler room in the basement like you'd expect, etc etc.

It's actually really not hard to make areas that look like Deus Ex. The industry has just become so entrenched in the gamer mindset that they've lost sight of what a normal, run of the mill city street should look like... it always has to have some sort of gimmick or specific layout. God forbid you put in a blind alley that serves no purpose. Oh god no, that would be terrible!

The last two games I can think of in recent memory to take a page from the DX school of design were Vampire: Bloodlines and The Darkness. Not surprisingly, both games are excellent. For reasons more than just the level design, mind you, but it definitely helps.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fnoigy posted:

Do it, I like reading words about games.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Fnoigy posted:

This is almost perfect, though I think it needs a little more definition to the face, like the cheeks.

Added some highlights and fixed the text up so it's clearer.

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 16, 2010

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

Supernorn posted:

Added a lil' highlight on his cheek.

The text in Mathemagician's looks a little better. Can you just copy it (assuming they don't mind)?

HMC
May 18, 2009

I don't have any GIF animation software atm, but here's my take on Supernorn's if anyone wants to play with it

HMC fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 16, 2010

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Supernorn posted:

That is awesome.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Supernorn posted:

I'm too impoverished right now to blow :10bux:, but you have my moral support.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Fuzz posted:

What, you mean just designing a logical structure? One with bathrooms, and hallways, and offices, and streets with stores in all the right places, and stairs where they logically would be, and a boiler room in the basement like you'd expect, etc etc.
That's part of it, but there's more to Deus Ex's level design than being logical and consistent with the real world, because you also need to integrate that into the gameplay to enrich it, or where to sacrifice one for the other to make the world seem more real, logical, and also open.

Also, these emoticons are awesome.

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

Fnoigy posted:

Go ahead, punk. Make my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fnoigy posted:

Go ahead.