Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fnoigy posted:

Honestly, if I thought anybody really gave a poo poo, I could blab on a nice fat post explaining what I think is at the core of designing a decent area in Deus Ex.

You've got five seconds to post before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

You've got five seconds to post before I add you to the list of NSF casualties.

I'll watch. And enjoy it, yes.

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I guess I mis-spoke, since I don't really have much to say on the actual core ideology that hasn't really been said already. What I meant to say was I could blab about for a fat post is more a hypothetical example of the process I think you could take when designing some location in Deus Ex.

Sorry if I gave the wrong idea, there. :blush:

usually
Sep 9, 2004

e

usually fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 19, 2011

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

DVD Drive posted:

lol if you've been a member of SA for three years and thought you could post something like "if anyone wanted to hear it" without at least five goons immediately begging you to elaborate.

hahahahahaha

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Fnoigy posted:

Sorry if I gave the wrong idea, there. :blush:
That will be your butt.
Get PILLS against my orders.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Supernorn posted:

:holymoley:

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?

Hogburto posted:

That will be your butt.
Get PILLS against my orders.
It's really something that happens to me a lot. It's the reason I was created. It is why I exist.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Supernorn posted:

This is excellent, except JC would not express surprise and an :O face, he would simply say "What a shame" and face his imminent destruction like a man.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.

Lork posted:

Awesome. You'll be credited in the readme, of course.

Within six months.

I'm putting together the files to be released right now.

Currently the only way to get them is as a random drop from NPCs, so you'll have to rely on luck of the draw or cheat to get your hands on them. In the next version I'll try to find some good places to put them in the world.

Wow, EGM still exists? I thought they closed down months ago. Of course, if they can score interviews like that, I suppose they have a good reason to still be around. I'll have to give that one a look.

Edit: Annnnnnd it's up.

I can't get mantling to work at all in this version. Every time I try to rebind my jump key and OK out of the menu, it forgets. Going back in shows it as not being bound again. I can still jump, but no climbing.

WPGrenades are hugely overpowered, I love them. Threw one into the NSF/UNATCO brawl in front of Osgood & Sons and took out every single NSF, a couple of troopers and sent burning rats flying everywhere.

Lork, any chance you could incorperate the awesome inventory filter system from ShifterOL? Pretty please? Many people in the thread have mentioned being annoyed at picking up weapons and items they don't want, and that was the best system to date to deal with it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Man, all of those emotes are fantastic.

How about a Gunther one with a 'I speeeeeel my DRINK!'?

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

XausF1 posted:

Man, all of those emotes are fantastic.

How about a Gunther one with a 'I speeeeeel my DRINK!'?

Gunther didn't say that, it was some random dude at the bar in the Lucky Money.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k#t=0m25s

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 17, 2010

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

Gunther didn't say that, it was some random dude at the bar in the Lucky Money.

e: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kihGm4KfY7k#t=0m25s

I swear the sound adjustment voice over was Gunther....?

^^^
Wow, I've never seen that guy. I always just heard the voice in the menu when you adjust the sound. Just assumed it was Gunther.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

XausF1 posted:

I swear the sound adjustment voice over was Gunther....?

^^^
Wow, I've never seen that guy. I always just heard the voice in the menu when you adjust the sound. Just assumed it was Gunther.

No, Gunther wanted orange. It gave him lemon-lime.

[e] I love Gunther's lines in the Malkavian mod.

"Please give me a weapon like the infinite power of nanoaugmentation. Manderley knows I like the infinite power of nanoaugmentation."
"That will be adequate. You head up the stairs to the junk pile. I will take my rusty metal skul-gun!"

orange lime fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 17, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
I remember reading Manderley's e-mail in my first playthrough and finding Günther's message to him about wanting that 'skulgun'. That and the chewing out about crashing the women's toilets were sure signs that this game was going to be a real pleasure.

I do regret that I went for advanced computers/electronics/lockpicking the first time. I think there would have been additional fun in discovering turret and bot control in a later runthrough.

Btw, thanks to Lork for the new BioMod.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

orange lime posted:

No, Gunther wanted orange. It gave him lemon-lime.

[e] I love Gunther's lines in the Malkavian mod.

"Please give me a weapon like the infinite power of nanoaugmentation. Manderley knows I like the infinite power of nanoaugmentation."
"That will be adequate. You head up the stairs to the junk pile. I will take my rusty metal skul-gun!"

That will be your butt.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Retro-Future Rodent posted:

I can't get mantling to work at all in this version. Every time I try to rebind my jump key and OK out of the menu, it forgets. Going back in shows it as not being bound again. I can still jump, but no climbing.

The documentation says that you need to be at Advanced athletics to mantle. On the note of the Athletics skill, does anyone know how it was balanced? Do you start off slower than normal, or does it start with your default abilities and improve from there?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Frankosity posted:

The documentation says that you need to be at Advanced athletics to mantle. On the note of the Athletics skill, does anyone know how it was balanced? Do you start off slower than normal, or does it start with your default abilities and improve from there?

According to Lork you start off a bit slower, and at Trained you're at normal speed.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Has Swimming been rolled into Environmental Training in this version? It seems like a pretty logical and good thing to do.

e; VVV

Dr Snofeld posted:

It's part of Athletics now.

That works too. Thanks.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jul 18, 2010

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Underflow posted:

I do regret that I went for advanced computers/electronics/lockpicking the first time. I think there would have been additional fun in discovering turret and bot control in a later runthrough.
But getting to read all the e-mails and totally immerse yourself and understand as much of the plot as you can on your very first playthrough is the best. I was lucky enough to choose computers the first time around. And also ruled with the pepperspray (why am I the only one).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ansob. posted:

Has Swimming been rolled into Environmental Training in this version? It seems like a pretty logical and good thing to do.

It's part of Athletics now.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Hogburto posted:

But getting to read all the e-mails and totally immerse yourself and understand as much of the plot as you can on your very first playthrough is the best. I was lucky enough to choose computers the first time around. And also ruled with the pepperspray (why am I the only one).

Yeah, maybe you're right. I did enjoy going through every bit of info that first time. And you're not the only one re. pepperspray. It's like a non-lethal flamethrower.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
Finally got around to playing this again, loving it just as much as I did 10 years ago. I've decided to forgo rifles completely in this playthrough, just to spice things up a little bit. Those skill points are going into heavy weapons now. Never having to worry about bots is a nice change of pace for me.

Just about to revisit UNATCO after busting out of MJ12, awww yeah.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

That will be your butt.

Paul! I...I...
...I thought you were a GEP gun.

I really wish they'd keep working on that mod. Hong Kong would be loving amazing.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

orange lime posted:

Paul! I...I...
...I thought you were a GEP gun.

I really wish they'd keep working on that mod. Hong Kong would be loving amazing.

I can tell them you are pills, and they will prod you with the prod.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Thaynks, for gettin me PILLS

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I sPILLS my PILLS!

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I have trouble deciding how I want to play. Maybe skill up pistols, or if I want I can max out lockpicks and be a detective, or I can just go total heavy weapons. Too many choices! gently caress choices.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Difficulty: Realistic

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

Everything else will now be dead simple by comparison. The fact that you can beat Deus Ex (without using a single glitch) with nothing but loving CHOCOLATE is really a testament to how awesome the game is. Also hello 6gb save file.

Chakron fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 18, 2010

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
Huh, a specialized playthrough? :) I love those, lemme just read up what the duder did that w...

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^E: Laputan Psyduck

JC: Laputan Machine
GH: I AM NOT A MACHI... ARGHHHHH
JC: Sticks and Stones.

Ben Soosneb fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 18, 2010

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
I've been trying to do this too and, apart from Liberty island, it hasn't been easy. Good job actually getting all the way through.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Forgot to add, I didn't use any prior knowledge of door codes. All legit. If you're up for a challenge this is definitely the way to go. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you want to know how to get through specific parts ask me and I'll /spoiler it. Pretty fun :shobon:

Ben Soosneb posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^E: Laputan Psyduck

JC: Laputan Machine
GH: I AM NOT A MACHI... ARGHHHHH
JC: Sticks and Stones.

Reminds me, I ran away from Gunther. While chasing me, Gunther bumped into a GEP solider, who took offense to it and completely obliterated him. Then the solider just walked away :psyduck:

Chakron fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 18, 2010

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug
You know, I'd murder to be able to see some footage of this playthrough. It must have been something special. :) Do you have a timestamp for the ending, aka how long it took you to finish it?

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
hand in your equipment, that's right, no cheating

*takes candy bar*

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Sourdough Sam posted:

hand in your equipment, that's right, no cheating

*takes candy bar*

When I was escaping UNATCO, I went to the Armory to get my 20 candy bars back. drat right.

After I finished I searched for "deus ex no items" and found this guy who completed a no items run through in 2007. He recorded all of it, which you can find somewhere in that giant thread. I watched some of his videos, and he appeared to be playing on Easy mode. A lot of the tricks he used were much more difficult (or even impossible) on Realistic mode. I doubt I'm the first to do this but I can't find anyone else who has completed it (didn't look very hard).

http://forums.gamespy.com/general_deus_ex_discussion/b49372/14593517/p1

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How'd you get through the MJ12 bunker in the paris catacombs with the silhouette hostages? I had a hard enough time with that on realistic even with guns and augs, never mind without.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Ainsley McTree posted:

How'd you get through the MJ12 bunker in the paris catacombs with the silhouette hostages? I had a hard enough time with that on realistic even with guns and augs, never mind without.

The catacombs were actually one of the easier areas, provided that you look for patterns and move incredibly slowly. The MJ12 bunker was kind of fun to sneak through, actually. More fun than some of the head-banging parts I couldn't figure out or had to brute force. The hostages obviously died. Chad gave me a lot of credit when he said "at least you tried".

Click here for the full 1440x900 image.

^^I did use my flashlight in addition to candy bars just because I'm impatient and hate dark areas vOv

Chakron fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 18, 2010

imsuxok?
Nov 14, 2000

You may be as vicious about me as you please. You will only do me justice.

The Belgian posted:

I've been trying to do this too and, apart from Liberty island, it hasn't been easy. Good job actually getting all the way through.

Were you able to get Gunther out of prison? I don't see how to sneak past that guy sitting in the chair facing his cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

imsuxok? posted:

Were you able to get Gunther out of prison? I don't see how to sneak past that guy sitting in the chair facing his cell.

Run to the terminal and turn the turret against him?