Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
Mark Waid's twitter icon is just the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gavok posted:

From the latest Irredeemable.

That ending bugged the hell out of me.

I hate to be that guy, but could you explain this one, and what the original meant? I just don't read this series of comics.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Mark Waid tweeted a frustration with how drat gloomy superhero comics are nowadays. He also writes a comic that is a superhero comic and is pretty drat gloomy, and that's the last page of it. So the implication is that the depressing comic mentioned in the tweet was his own.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Okay, I just thought it was weird because it looks like he teleported some Spree through someone's head.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

More specifically, here's what the story of the issue is about : Irredeemable takes place in a world where the Plutonian (Superman, basically) completely loses his poo poo and goes on a killing spree. It's a good comic for the most part, but the last few issues have had so little to do with the title character and has been more about one superheroine whining about, "I knew about his one weakness and I never told anyone about it! I'm worse than Hitler!"

So they set up this big showdown between the heroes Plutonian has yet to pick off and the Plutonian himself. Also, the heroes are helped out by Orian. For the sake of simplicity, we'll call him a Darkseid stand-in. Everyone's so desperate to get rid of the Plutonian that they'll gladly team up with this powerful alien monster who wants to take over the world. Everyone but Qubit, who is the story's Reed Richards figure. He knows that if they kill Plutonian, Orian will be able to take over the world unchecked.

They all curbstomp Plutonian and one of the characters fires a one-of-a-kind bullet made of a special wax that can kill Plutonian. At the last second, Qubit opens up a portal in front of Plutonian's torso to catch the bullet and has a second portal appear in front of Orian's forehead. Orian's dead, Plutonian gets the hell out of there and everyone's calling out Qubit for being an rear end in a top hat.

Then the last page reveal shows that he opened up ANOTHER portal behind Orian so he can catch the bullet for later use. Which begs the question: WHY DID HE NOT JUST KILL THEM BOTH?

The short version is that Mark Waid said "_____ comic is stupid. I'm done." And my response is "no u"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Magic Love Hose posted:

Mark Waid tweeted a frustration with how drat gloomy superhero comics are nowadays. He also writes a comic that is a superhero comic and is pretty drat gloomy, and that's the last page of it. So the implication is that the depressing comic mentioned in the tweet was his own.
He actually said he was tired of how bad and repetitive superhero comics have been lately. "Gloomy" is mis-characterizing it, but I guess you didn't want to flat-out say you think Irredeemable is the same lovely story you've read a dozen times?

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

He actually said he was tired of how bad and repetitive superhero comics have been lately. "Gloomy" is mis-characterizing it, but I guess you didn't want to flat-out say you think Irredeemable is the same lovely story you've read a dozen times?

I didn't want to say that because Irredeemable is my favorite comic book since All-Star Superman ended and me saying it's lovely would be me telling a lie.

EDIT:

Mark Waid posted:

...there is a new, recent cynicism to many of them that I find exhausting and mean-spirited and uninspiring and life-denying.

Doesn't seem a far leap from this to 'gloomy' to me.

Gavok posted:

Then the last page reveal shows that he opened up ANOTHER portal behind Orian so he can catch the bullet for later use. Which begs the question: WHY DID HE NOT JUST KILL THEM BOTH?

Qubit, all throughout the issue, talks about how much he doesn't want to kill the Plutonian - that he thinks he can still reach him. This isn't the first time it's been brought up that Qubit thinks this, either.

Mike From Nowhere fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 17, 2010

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I dunno, if I were trying to catch a bullet between two portals as it's passing through someone, that might be something I couldn't pull off twice.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

If the guy can catch it after it passes through the other guy's head, chances are it lost too much momentum to kill someone else, either way.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I started this derail, and I'm going to end it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Saw this in YCS. Original is from Alias.

ProfZoom
Mar 22, 2005

This is our last dance!
Figured this would be appropriate here (and absolutely no place else):

Seanbaby's Green Lantern: Star Pervert.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gavok posted:

The short version is that Mark Waid said "_____ comic is stupid. I'm done." And my response is "no u"

Oh, here I thought it was a Comic-Con joke and that bullet said BIC on it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

(Not mine, a friend linked me to it)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

whatsabattle posted:

(Not mine, a friend linked me to it)

:frogout:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ProfZoom posted:

Figured this would be appropriate here (and absolutely no place else):

Seanbaby's Green Lantern: Star Pervert.
That cover alone is priceless. :laffo:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

This idea came to me in a dream last night, and I felt compelled to make it a reality.

Click here for the full 1280x1980 image.

Source: Avengers Academy #2

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Teehee. :3:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

The bottom panel of the first page looks straight-up traced from audrey hepburn. It's buggin' me out.

(cute, btw. got a laugh outta me)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Click here for the full 962x1492 image.

Edit:
Fixed the font.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 20, 2010

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
I remember a while ago someone edited the lyrics of "All Along the Watchtower" into some DC panels from that story where all the villains are on some planet. Can someone re-post that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

KOraithER posted:

I remember a while ago someone edited the lyrics of "All Along the Watchtower" into some DC panels from that story where all the villains are on some planet. Can someone re-post that?

That.... that wasn't an edit. :smith:

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

From Irredeemable #16.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
New Avengers #26

And now you know... the rest of the story.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

DynamicSloth posted:

New Avengers #26

And now you know... the rest of the story.

...so...he hosed a doom bot?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
linked for x-factor 208 spoiler

https://wi.somethingawful.com/81/81a9ec7d8749e63c79b21c0cfd74de7241630a77.png

https://wi.somethingawful.com/b9/b9783feac636b1d8a5e12cb3f4960bd2f89cfc07.png

https://wi.somethingawful.com/df/df97310805ed21e24d2632b87451ccf329092afa.gif

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

It's been a while since I laughed that hard at something

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

CzarChasm posted:

...so...he hosed a doom bot?
According to Avengers: Children's Crusade #2, yes he did.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!

CapnAndy posted:

According to Avengers: Children's Crusade #2, yes he did.

Not necessarily. She might have been replaced afterwards. If not... Doom makes some pretty accurate Doombots.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just_a_guy posted:

Not necessarily. She might have been replaced afterwards. If not... Doom makes some pretty accurate Doombots.
"I am...fully functional."

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Endless Mike posted:

"I am...fully functional."

Hey, that's my line.

V not really, but I'll concede it's stupid in any case. Anyway, not really worth bumping the thread ten days later to comment on.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Sep 14, 2010

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Elijya posted:

Hey, that's my line.

You're role playing as your avatar again Elijya.

Remember, we had a talk about this.

invalid user
Nov 15, 2006

Shit's expensive, bro. Plus, fuck Lurdiak.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

You're role playing as your avatar again Elijya.

Remember, we had a talk about this.

Actually he's a highly successful post-op female to male transexual.

That's what he's referring to.

\/\/ Is that more appropriate? Is it a matter of offensiveness in form or taste in joke? Cause I'd defend tasteless joke.

invalid user fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 15, 2010

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dude, don't say tranny.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Lurdiak posted:

Dude, don't say tranny.

You're a tranny.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

You're a tranny.

I appreciate that you said that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Just look it up on YouTube if you don't get it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
You know, it just occurred to me that Hellboy and FrankenCastle should have had a crossover.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Is it just me or is FrankenCastle drawn like Dolph Lundgren?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

KOraithER posted:

Is it just me or is FrankenCastle drawn like Dolph Lundgren?

Nah, there's not enough shots of his balls for him to be Lundgren Punisher.

• Locked thread