Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

OptimistPrime posted:

The other thing is to remember that things change. Now that poo poo has hit the fan and is slowly pulling back together, it's easier to gauge how a firm will react, but when I chose a place, I did it based on their perceived "humanity" and didn't mind that their prestige was confined to one region.

Now I'm laid off in a slow market, and the only firm on my resume has a name most coastal people can't pronounce, let alone recognize.

faegre and benson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

billion dollar bitch posted:

How many significant figures should a GPA contain?

there's a kid at my firm who has his GPA on his resume to 4 significant digits, I crack up every time I read it

like, he thinks some managing partner at some firm is going reject him for his 3.97, but hire him on the spot for his 3.9743

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 16, 2010

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I think two is pretty standard.

At UT, it *has* to be two figures, no rounding, I assume that's relatively standard.

Roger_Mudd posted:

What's that smell? Oh that's right it's Houston. (doesn't work if your not from Houston)

Man, I miss Houston, as a friend of mine once said, "Houston is the sort of city where you can party 'til four then walk down the street and get in on an underground poker league."

I miss being able to go out at three in the morning and still find a ton of kickass restaurants.

TheBestDeception
Nov 28, 2007

Daico posted:

At UT, it *has* to be two figures, no rounding, I assume that's relatively standard.

It was a trick question because Columbia doesn't officially recognize/provide GPA

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheBestDeception posted:

It was a trick question because Columbia doesn't officially recognize/provide GPA

that's what they say but then they award honors based on your non-existent gpa (though they don't provide it or their official method for calculating it)

low-tier honors is 3.410 or greater, high-tier honors is 3.800 or greater (but they don't recognize gpa!)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 16, 2010

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Daico posted:

Man, I miss Houston, as a friend of mine once said, "Houston is the sort of city where you can party 'til four then walk down the street and get in on an underground poker league."

I miss being able to go out at three in the morning and still find a ton of kickass restaurants.

So it's basically like every other cool city in the US except in lovely texas

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Phil Moscowitz posted:

most east coast cities you party till 2, which is a severe problem if you get used to that and then come to new york and constantly accidentally stay out till 4 when you need to be functional the next day

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Watch your mouth pretty boy.

:clint::ese::clint:

Daico
Aug 17, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah, you're right, I guess there is less douche-y coastal elitism making GBS threads things up.

yadayadayada
Dec 5, 2004

Dodgers Baseball America #1 Embarrassment Prospect

Daico posted:

Yeah, you're right, I guess there is less douche-y coastal elitism making GBS threads things up.

but more lovely texas making GBS threads things up

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

evilweasel posted:

most east coast cities you party till 2, which is a severe problem if you get used to that and then come to new york and constantly accidentally stay out till 4 when you need to be functional the next day

That's why God made Adderall.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

That's why God made Adderall.

how does adderall help with a hangover and four hours of sleep? cause if it does I'm so getting some

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!
I work for a solo practitioner right now and the understanding has been that I would work through the third year. I just interviewed with a federal judge for a fall externship. HOWEVER, if I get an offer for the externship I can't work for a private practice at the same time because of potential conflicts (this is a rule the court has, not just my own thoughts).

Basically, I'd have to dick over the guy who hired me and I know he wouldn't take it well, but on the other hand it's federal and I want to clerk when I get out...gently caress maybe I'll get "lucky" and they'll just turn me down and I won't have to wrestle with this issue gently caress I need to go drink

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

J Miracle posted:

I work for a solo practitioner right now and the understanding has been that I would work through the third year. I just interviewed with a federal judge for a fall externship. HOWEVER, if I get an offer for the externship I can't work for a private practice at the same time because of potential conflicts (this is a rule the court has, not just my own thoughts).

Basically, I'd have to dick over the guy who hired me and I know he wouldn't take it well, but on the other hand it's federal and I want to clerk when I get out...gently caress maybe I'll get "lucky" and they'll just turn me down and I won't have to wrestle with this issue gently caress I need to go drink

File this one under "problems you want to have"

dave303
Jun 19, 2004
New and Improved
Do you have any hope of getting a federal clerkship? Getting an externship is far far easier since you're not competing with people from all over the country. Don't get me wrong, an externship can be a wonderful opportunity, but, you need to figure out whether it's going to help your career or not.

Conversely, there is only so much benefit that you'll get out of working for a solo practitioner. Is the solo's practice doing well? Do you think it's something that could lead to a job offer?

If you're just balancing unpaid externship with federal judge versus low paid internship with a solo that wont lead to a job offer, then the externship might still be worth it because of the unique experience it will offer.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

gvibes posted:

Seriously?

I'm just not entirely convinced that past conduct is a great indicator of future conduct.

If between X.X5 and X.X9, then one digit after the decimal. If between X.X0 and X.X4, then two.

I think there's a difference between thinking about it and really taking it into consideration when making your decision. For example, if you want to be all happy and you want to work in SV you might go to work for Gunderson Dettmer because they're nice and they do good VC work and they were one of the first firms to really escalate associate compensation. Sure they're not super prestigious but they have good connections in the industry and they're an excellent firm so you'll probably be fine. Compare that line of thought to: Do I want to be a partner? Probably, but what if I don't and what if I don't make it? What if I only realize I don't want to be a partner four years in? What if I want to totally switch careers? Which firm will provide me the best opportunity to change careers or even just practice areas? Prestige becomes far more important in the latter calculus. Although, counterpoint - if you choose prestige you're less likely to be happy and more likely to leave.

JudicialRestraints
Oct 26, 2007

Are you a LAWYER? Because I'll have you know I got GOOD GRADES in LAW SCHOOL last semester. Don't even try to argue THE LAW with me.

entris posted:

JudicialRestraints why would you agree with that non-attorney in the legal questions thread :( Don't encourage the rabble, even if they do get lucky and occasionally spout a truth.

I can't in good faith encourage him to reverse that plea agreement but I thought it would be funny if he would actually go through with it. I figured a little ego padding to let him know he's smarter than all them lawyers with their book lurnin would do the trick and convince him to go to trial on the DUI.

I'm expecting a trip report when he gets out of jail in 6 months.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

J Miracle posted:

How influential is the solo in the community you're in?

Honestly, I didn't see the utility of clerkships when I first started out. Then I realized I don't know what the gently caress a judge thinks or how they make their decision and wish I had done one.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

externships won't get you a clerkship or a job when you get out, working for the solo might

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Phil Moscowitz posted:

externships won't get you a clerkship or a job when you get out, working for the solo might

Yep.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005

poofactory posted:

...It is surely difficult and most solos will likely fail, business is loving good for those that make it.

I know dude, it is rough to get a solo started but if you're making a good living at it your definitely making some money, know what I'm sayin'?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

The janitor thread posted:

Selavi, if men menstruated, janitors would be paid more than loving CEOs, or you would never get anybody to do the job.

Actually, there wasn't much of a camaraderie thing going. The janitors worked together and then left. Actually, shifts usually started at 6 PM and lasted until 4-8 AM, and were pretty busy. Wasn't much socializing going on because you knew if you didn't get enough sleep, the work you were doing the next night was going to be even worse. I never once had a beer with any of the people I worked with, and as far as I know none of them hung out together.

Okay, as for the lawyer.

One of the larger office buildings I cleaned had a few interesting customers in it. I would be surprised if it didn't - it was about 24 stories. Most of them were interesting in a good way, such as a real estate lawyer's office where they were holding a memorial for a co-worker who passed away. They had their whole office done up in clips and memorabilia of the guy and his family, and it was obvious they really loved and missed him. Yeah, sometimes even in a night filled with boredom and poo, there's a little ray of sunshine.

But that isn't the lawyer I'm talking about. I'm talking about the kind of guy who walks out of the building and "YEEEEeeeaaahhhh..." plays in the background. Hard-nosed, hard-boiled, hard-drinking, working 16 hours a day crazy nuts defense attorney. How did I know? Because the bugger was there about 20% of the time I cleaned his office. He'd be staying behind, looking like the typical frazzled lawyer. Tie hanging behind him, collar loose, five o' clock stubble... and of course, a nice coffee mug filled with liquor.

The first time I saw him there, I simply unlocked the office and walked in. I hear a crash and turn to see that the guy had hurriedly attempted to hide his drinking and had managed to smash his cup against the wall. He turned his red, veiny nose toward me and summoned up some righteous anger.

:argh: Heysh, you need to knoshk. People are workig here.
:) Sorry sir. I'll come back later.
:argh: Uhh... don't clean my office, just the rest of it.
:) Yeah, no problem.

I could see and smell alcohol, the guy was fooling nobody. This is the same guy I mentioned in the OP that was wandering around yelling outside of the building. Apparently, someone was late in picking him up, and this accomplished lawyer, this full partner, was carting around like a drunken hobo. We actually got him a cup of coffee and calmed him down. It's pretty bad when you've got the night janitors feeling sorry for you.

It became a running gag to knock on the door of his office to see if he was drinking when we arrived. The gag part was that the guy's office was facing a mirror, and you could see him from the door. He had no idea. The reactions were usually somewhat entertaining, however. Let's do this in handy Dungeons and Dragons format.

Roll a D6 for your random lawyer encounter
1) Lawyer angrily yells "Go away, I'm working!" and is very drunk.
2) Lawyer is gone. Office is clean.
3) Lawyer is gone. Half finished cup of "covert" alcohol sitting in plain sight.
4) Lawyer freaks out and hides the cup in his desk and then yells "Come in!"
5) Lawyer seems to think for a moment and then deliberately pounds his latest cup of rotgut, then carefully stows the cup away and yells "Come in!"
6) Lawyer is drunk and yelling into the phone, unaware that he is slurring his words.

Janitor work is long and boring. People that like make it just a little easier. I'm sure he's got a great career and reputation by now. I'm also sure his liver and kidneys are gone and his office smells like Monarch vodka. He may have had the money and the power, but the guys cleaning his office were actually happier than he was. I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I'd think twice about loving with Law School.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Adar posted:

yes

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Worrying thing I just discovered: one of the paralegals just told me we have showers on one of the floors (not associated with a gym or anything). That's, uh, not a good sign.
We have a shower in my publishing company. I wouldn't worry about it

When they start giving out free greeting cards and pantyhose, then you should worry

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Defenestration posted:

We have a shower in my publishing company. I wouldn't worry about it

When they start giving out free greeting cards and pantyhose, then you should worry

Every company should have showers. It'd encourage fatties to bike to work. I feel passionate about this issue, oddly enough. I feel passionate about showering with my coworkers.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Also, for those of us taking the bar, is it worrisome that I remember 100% of my mnemonics but don't remember what they all apply to? I remember "MD's favorite son" (MDFVSO) but don't remember what it's for, and North Minneapolis, Witch Doctor vs Aorta (NMPLSMDVSAO) but don't remember what it's for. Oh, god.

Edit: I even remembered how to spell mnemonics on my first try :ohdear:

BigHead fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 17, 2010

Bro Enlai
Nov 9, 2008

Law360, New York (July 15, 2010) -- After abandoning the model briefly during the recession, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP has become the third major law firm in recent weeks to announce it will revert back to a lockstep associate salary structure in 2011, and legal industry experts expect more firms to follow suit.

well that sounds pretty--

quote:

While associate pay structures may have changed as firms struggled to stay profitable during the economic downturn, the market rate for top-tier associates never changed, Williams said.

quote:

the market rate for top-tier associates never changed

quote:

top-tier

poo poo

TheSqueeze
Jun 27, 2005
Met an undergrad tonight who couldn't decide between two potential career paths.

Either she will become an international human rights lawyer, or a criminal profiler for serial killers.

Couldn't decide which path would lead her to greater disappointment. I smiled and nodded. Wish I was joking.

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

BigHead posted:

and North Minneapolis, Witch Doctor vs Aorta (NMPLSMDVSAO) but don't remember what it's for. Oh, god.

What the christ?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

TheSqueeze posted:

Met an undergrad tonight who couldn't decide between two potential career paths.

Either she will become an international human rights lawyer, or a criminal profiler for serial killers.

Couldn't decide which path would lead her to greater disappointment. I smiled and nodded. Wish I was joking.

She'd have better luck if she was considering picking between the NBA and the NFL, complete with the lack of requisite skills and incorrect gender.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gvibes posted:

e: Specifically, it was in claim construction briefing, and one side basically said "term X means Y," the other side responded, "Well, Y is an example of an X, but R, S, and T are also Xes (look at wikipedia!), so the proposed construction is too narrow."

I'd use that 24/7 in claim construction, although it's established law that the PTO does claim construction differently.

jake1357
Jul 10, 2001

TheBestDeception posted:

So what does Columbia actually give to students at the end of the semester? Just their grades in individual classes?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jake1357 posted:

So what does Columbia actually give to students at the end of the semester? Just their grades in individual classes?

yep

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Shouldn't you be able to calculate your GPA from that? I don't see the point of that system

MoFauxHawk
Jan 1, 2007

Mickey Mouse copyright
Walt Gisnep

I'm firmly above median,

I mean honestly, 3.28 ... what do you think my chances are?

I thought median at Columbia was at least 3.3.

Edit: Also how do Columbia students know whether to calculate A- as 3.7 or 3.66, and B+ as 3.3 or 3.33? I guess you could look at how the undergrad does it. Or is there a standard for law schools?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No official cum GPA = no official rankings = all Columbia students are special and none of them is bottom 50%

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MoFauxHawk posted:

I thought median at Columbia was at least 3.3.

Edit: Also how do Columbia students know whether to calculate A- as 3.7 or 3.66, and B+ as 3.3 or 3.33? I guess you could look at how the undergrad does it. Or is there a standard for law schools?

After a lot of hunting around last year I found Columbia uses two digits but I don't recall how I figured that out. Since I had a lot of +'s but few -'s I wanted two digits so I needed to find something to justify that.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=12826115

quote:

NH Lawyer Out $240,000 For Online Scam

Associated Press - July 17, 2010 10:05 AM ET

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) - Officials say a New Hampshire attorney is out $240,000 after falling for an online scam.

The New Hampshire Attorney General's Office says the lawyer agreed through e-mail to deposit a check from someone claiming to be from a company in China. When the bank notified him the money was available, the attorney wired $240,000 - about half of what he had received in the first place - to an account held by a "supplier" of the company.

Assistant Attorney General Karen Gorham says the check was later deemed bogus and that the attorney, who is not being named, is now liable because people are responsible for checks they deposit.

The New Hampshire Bar Association has posted a message on its website warning that sophisticated scams are targeting lawyers.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

...dan...

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Soothing Vapors posted:

Shouldn't you be able to calculate your GPA from that? I don't see the point of that system

insert stupid joke that every professor makes that "i know you went to law school so you wouldn't have to do math LOL"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

how did anyone fall for that poo poo, my firm gets like twenty of those a week