Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Love the bottom one... what were the settings? It looks like absolutely everything is in focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Thanks, man. Settings were pretty much run-of-the-mill for landscape: 10mm, f/11, iso 100 with the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6. Don't remember the shutter speeds, but they were probably -2, -1, 0, +1 stops.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

scottch posted:

Very austere and looks great. What filters?

Red filter and polarizer.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Smekerman posted:

This is the 4-shot HDR.

Nice HDR. It looks very natural.

GestureSignalThreat
Jun 27, 2007

Your effigy dissolves in my hands

This was taken on an evening when the colours were just incredible. Not sure if there was anything odd going on in the atmosphere.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Interrupting Moss posted:

Where?

Dread Head posted:

drat dude. One tiny little thing - stick or grass on bottom right on the first one.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Whitezombi posted:

drat dude. One tiny little thing - stick or grass on bottom right on the first one.

Saw that as I was going to bed, will fix it sometime.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
From a recent trip to Ottawa:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Jellyko
Mar 3, 2010
Most of my landscapes are middle-distance (e: like these) or "micro-scapes."

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm headed out to San Diego and Vegas in a couple weeks and I'm contemplating renting a wide angle lens for the trip. Right now my widest lens is my Sigma 20mm 1.8 which is nice most of the time, but I'd like something wider for the trip. I know some people on here hate renting, but I have a rental company in my city, so I don't pay for shipping and because I'm a repeat customer they give me 10% off their normal rates, so the rental will be around $45 for 10 days. The other thing that is swaying me to do this is that the day before I leave I'm shooting the Warped Tour, so I figure it's one more reason to snag another lens if only for a crowd shot or two.

The two best options I have available are the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina 11-16. They do not have the Tokina 12-24, which is sad because I've heard good things about it. Anyone have have any thoughts on these two lenses? It'd be used mostly for desert and coast type photos.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Dread Head posted:

I've been really digging these recent shots you've been posting. I recall you posting a lot of long-exposure beach shots before so it's interesting to see you take a lot of that into a different subject. In fact, if you look at these three they all really draw my eyes to the close parts of the image first and then move to take them in their context.

Here's a few from a recent hike I took. I'm not sure if it's my monitor or the fact that I was using a polarizing filter, but something is really bugging me about the color and detail in these shots, especially on Flickr.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 16, 2010

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I've been really digging these recent shots you've been posting. I recall you posting a lot of long-exposure beach shots before so it's interesting to see you take a lot of that into a different subject. In fact, if you look at these three they all really draw my eyes to the close parts of the image first and then move to take them in their context.

Here's a few from a recent hike I took. I'm not sure if it's my monitor or the fact that I was using a polarizing filter, but something is really bugging me about the color and detail in these shots, especially on Flickr.

The blue in the last one looks oversaturated and artificial, but the color looks good on the rest. I especially like the one of the observation hut. It's something different. An aspect of hiking and landscapes that's always there, but rarely shown. Where was this?

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

thefreshmaker posted:

The blue in the last one looks oversaturated and artificial, but the color looks good on the rest. I especially like the one of the observation hut. It's something different. An aspect of hiking and landscapes that's always there, but rarely shown. Where was this?

I was just gonna post the same thing about the 4th picture, the sky looks crazy. And with the third one I'd take out a lot of that sky, it doesn't really add anything to the photo, and maybe take out the two random little clouds.
Otherwise I really like them, and yes, where did you take these?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

The Wormy Guy posted:

I was just gonna post the same thing about the 4th picture, the sky looks crazy. And with the third one I'd take out a lot of that sky, it doesn't really add anything to the photo, and maybe take out the two random little clouds.
Otherwise I really like them, and yes, where did you take these?

I have to disagree on the third one. It adds altitude to the photo. It makes the mountains seem tall, like you are above the clouds. I say leave it.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

This might have benefited from a higher horizon line, but everything else here is absolutely beautiful. I really like how the shadows on the rocks are composed.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 17, 2010

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
I rented a 10-22 while on vacation in Portland last week; it cost me $80 for a week. You'd be getting a great deal and for $45 I'd say you have no reason not to rent it. It's an amazing lens and lots of fun in many situations.

rockcity posted:

I'm headed out to San Diego and Vegas in a couple weeks and I'm contemplating renting a wide angle lens for the trip. Right now my widest lens is my Sigma 20mm 1.8 which is nice most of the time, but I'd like something wider for the trip. I know some people on here hate renting, but I have a rental company in my city, so I don't pay for shipping and because I'm a repeat customer they give me 10% off their normal rates, so the rental will be around $45 for 10 days. The other thing that is swaying me to do this is that the day before I leave I'm shooting the Warped Tour, so I figure it's one more reason to snag another lens if only for a crowd shot or two.

The two best options I have available are the Canon 10-22 and the Tokina 11-16. They do not have the Tokina 12-24, which is sad because I've heard good things about it. Anyone have have any thoughts on these two lenses? It'd be used mostly for desert and coast type photos.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Man, this needs to be seen at sunset without all the people.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 18, 2010

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I especially like this one:

8th-samurai posted:

Looks like the rubbish bins are in a band together.

baccaruda
Jan 10, 2008
haha. needs lotsa HDR and some beer cans scattered around.
http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-15309-metamorphosis.html
photo by my buddy Ben.

Spedman posted:

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Thanks for the comments. The photos were all taken on Mt. Pilchuck which is northeast of Seattle.

Mannequin posted:

Man, this needs to be seen at sunset without all the people.

Yea, the people in it are a downer for me as well, but considering how many people are there at any given time (some even staying the night in that shelter, I believe) that it'd be hard to do, even at sundown (bonus "where's Waldo version of the third photo to illustrate the point). I have multiple places in this area that I would die to hit in the morning or evening "magic hours" but with my current schedule it isn't going to happen soon :(

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Spedman posted:

Yeah I was leaving the local Post Office when I saw that and had to stop.

General Gravedancer
May 14, 2009

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

8th-samurai posted:

It may sound silly, but your photo's have a fantastic mathematical "feel".
Somehow, they just look right. Very soothing for the eye.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

General Gravedancer posted:

Thanks. I am trying for a very arranged look in my landscapes.

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
For some reason I am liking portrait style landscapes recently.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Does anyone know what sort of equipment/software I would need to track where the moon is going to be at a certain time and location.

For example, let's say I have a shot in mind that I want to take, but I want to know when the moon will be in the shot.

As an added bonus, is there a way to know what time of year the moon will be the brightest/largest in that same shot.

VV Cool. Thank you.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 20, 2010

thefreshmaker
Jul 7, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Does anyone know what sort of equipment/software I would need to track where the moon is going to be at a certain time and location.

For example, let's say I have a shot in mind that I want to take, but I want to know when the moon will be in the shot.

As an added bonus, is there a way to know what time of year the moon will be the brightest/largest in that same shot.

I found this site by googling "moon angle." It will generate a table of altitudes, azimuths and percent illumination of the moon for different times in a given U.S. city.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/alt-az-us

That, plus this sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset tool that fenner posted a while back should help.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

As far as I know, the apparent size and brightness of a full moon doesn't change much throughout the year, but it can appear larger when it's closer to the horizon. The distance between the moon and earth doesn't change enough to make a big difference in the moon's apparent diameter, and if it did, it should happen monthly. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

thefreshmaker fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jul 20, 2010

The Wormy Guy
May 7, 2002

General Gravedancer posted:

Yeah I have to agree, I like them. For instance the third one, most people would be like what the gently caress it's the side of a building and there's a god drat light pole in the way. But for some reason it's a pretty cool shot that just seems to work for me. I think I need to work on seeing things differently rather than looking for that perfect awesome shot.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Did I pull this off and if so, is it a nice improvement.

If you want to get your panties in a wad about manipulating an image too much, the moon was around but I could not get a shot where I wanted it to be. So I fixed that.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Here are a couple of landscapes I got on my walk on the weekend. No where near the quality of the other photos in this thread, but I quite like them as my first landscapes.

Look poo poo compared to the ones on here!

Pogue_Mahone fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 20, 2010

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I took a break from the mountains this weekend. My composition has been driving me nuts so I'm trying to focus on that more. These both caught my eye on a drive I took over the weekend but given the time I had to work with I was really happy with how they turned out.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

thefreshmaker posted:

I found this site by googling "moon angle." It will generate a table of altitudes, azimuths and percent illumination of the moon for different times in a given U.S. city.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/astronomical-applications/data-services/alt-az-us

That, plus this sunrise/sunset/moonrise/moonset tool that fenner posted a while back should help.

http://stephentrainor.com/tools

As far as I know, the apparent size and brightness of a full moon doesn't change much throughout the year, but it can appear larger when it's closer to the horizon. The distance between the moon and earth doesn't change enough to make a big difference in the moon's apparent diameter, and if it did, it should happen monthly. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I found another really cool app in case anyone is interested in this topic.

http://www.stellarium.org/

octane2
Jun 4, 2007
Interstellar Overdrive
Stellarium and Cartes du Ceil are a couple of good freebies. You can add custom databases to both.

I use Starry Night Pro Plus 6, and TheSky6 for all my astrophotographic composition, framing and planning. Lately, I've also been using Skytools 3 Pro as it provides me information as to the optimum exposure duration per filter on a given target based on the optical instrument and CCD that I'll be using, as well as the selected object's altitude in the sky; which takes into account scattering and atmospheric extinction.

H

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I found another really cool app in case anyone is interested in this topic.

http://www.stellarium.org/

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Went a little mental with flowing water today:

Don't know whether to leave this last one in colour or convert to B&W:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dread Head