Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
It sounds like you're spending too much time worrying about what school/what major and not worrying about what will get you a job.

"My most passionate interests lie in concept design/3D modeling/animating... lots of digital animation stuff."

If you really want to do digital art in regards to concept design/3D modeling/animating then you should just start teaching yourself. There's countless video tutorials and online classes that you could take that are pretty drat good. Otherwise you're just wasting your money if you don't actually want to do graphic design and you continue with your current education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

ceebee posted:

It sounds like you're spending too much time worrying about what school/what major and not worrying about what will get you a job.

"My most passionate interests lie in concept design/3D modeling/animating... lots of digital animation stuff."

If you really want to do digital art in regards to concept design/3D modeling/animating then you should just start teaching yourself. There's countless video tutorials and online classes that you could take that are pretty drat good. Otherwise you're just wasting your money if you don't actually want to do graphic design and you continue with your current education.

You're right about what I'm worrying about, but I think it's more in a "these things appear to go hand in hand" way. Of course it helps to know that I'm the kind of person that puts a lot of stuck in getting that degree, despite the fact that it's the portfolio that counts. It's not that I place too much reliance on the course itself for magically blessing with me the skills I need to get a job, but that the environment helps, being surrounded by students approaching work at different angles teaches you new things, etc. etc. Not to mention the achievement that goes along with the degree.

That is, to get "the job" as it were in digital animation, it would make sense to go to school for that (if I want the degree in it). You're right about doing it on your own, and it's not like I'm NOT doing that. I guess I just still place a lot of personal emphasis on being in the best environment for concentrating on one area or another.

This is why my question was "is it feasible to think I could go to school after the fact for 3D stuff, or should I switch now to avoid having to get another BA if it turns out that's what I really want to do?"

I said it before, it's not like I have any "problems" with being in the graphic design major. On the contrary, I'm pretty loving excited and I look forward to it and I could easily see myself working in that field for the rest of my life. I guess this is mostly just a case of "let's say I have a desperate need to be a digital animator. What should I do?", although I can really only say my desire to work in digital/3D only slightly outweighs my interest in becoming a graphic designer.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

redjenova posted:

You're right about what I'm worrying about, but I think it's more in a "these things appear to go hand in hand" way. Of course it helps to know that I'm the kind of person that puts a lot of stuck in getting that degree, despite the fact that it's the portfolio that counts. It's not that I place too much reliance on the course itself for magically blessing with me the skills I need to get a job, but that the environment helps, being surrounded by students approaching work at different angles teaches you new things, etc. etc. Not to mention the achievement that goes along with the degree.

That is, to get "the job" as it were in digital animation, it would make sense to go to school for that (if I want the degree in it). You're right about doing it on your own, and it's not like I'm NOT doing that. I guess I just still place a lot of personal emphasis on being in the best environment for concentrating on one area or another.

This is why my question was "is it feasible to think I could go to school after the fact for 3D stuff, or should I switch now to avoid having to get another BA if it turns out that's what I really want to do?"

I said it before, it's not like I have any "problems" with being in the graphic design major. On the contrary, I'm pretty loving excited and I look forward to it and I could easily see myself working in that field for the rest of my life. I guess this is mostly just a case of "let's say I have a desperate need to be a digital animator. What should I do?", although I can really only say my desire to work in digital/3D only slightly outweighs my interest in becoming a graphic designer.

Then your answer is clear: Get your graphic design degree, have 3D animation as an intense and rewarding hobby, and let your 3D animation portfolio be that amazing extra thing that catches people's attention when you're out looking for creative jobs. All those job distinctions kind of smoosh together out in the field anyway, and that's only going to happen more and more. It's not like anybody's ever going to say "Well, she's a great animator, but I'm not sure we want any graphic design people around here, blech."

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Slashie posted:

Then your answer is clear: Get your graphic design degree, have 3D animation as an intense and rewarding hobby, and let your 3D animation portfolio be that amazing extra thing that catches people's attention when you're out looking for creative jobs. All those job distinctions kind of smoosh together out in the field anyway, and that's only going to happen more and more. It's not like anybody's ever going to say "Well, she's a great animator, but I'm not sure we want any graphic design people around here, blech."

Thanks, this is really direct and exactly what I needed to hear. I can't pretend I have a great understanding about how the "real world" of design/art jobs works because I'm just not at all there yet, so this is really good to hear, even if it was sort of obvious in hindsight I guess v:shobon:v Thanks Slashie!

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

redjenova posted:

Thanks, this is really direct and exactly what I needed to hear. I can't pretend I have a great understanding about how the "real world" of design/art jobs works because I'm just not at all there yet, so this is really good to hear, even if it was sort of obvious in hindsight I guess v:shobon:v Thanks Slashie!

Anytime!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

redjenova posted:

Keep in mind print is dying very quickly and interactive design along with motion graphics/animation are going to start being more important especially with advertising on the iPhone and any future digital devices. I'm a graphic design major, but I also have interests in learning After Effects, Maya and Final Cut. This year I'm doing a directed study and will have an intense focus on learning and creating in After Effects (unless I get this UPS co-op. gently caress you double dip recession).

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Woof! Woof! posted:

I work at an agency that was just named an Agency to Watch for Ad Age's Next A-List.

I write there and work with creatives of all disciplines.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the creative end of advertising. I'll try my best to answer.

I'm going through a post-grad program for Advertising/Copywriting. They said the degree is toilet paper compared to the portfolio they're going to help you throw together--they had a display of a bunch of their previous year's students work, and none of it was Colin's Bear, so I'm pretty hopeful about the program--plus it's got a summer internship tacked onto it, which is always a good thing (assuming you're picked up by someone decent).

The thing I'm a little iffy about is security coming out. I realize that there's a bunch of contract work out there--and I got into this expecting to be held over the coals on projects and whatnot (the type of pressure I can't really function without), but now that I'm starting to get a little older and think a little more future-wise, I'm sort of curious how common the more secure, salaried work is in the field.

Also, I want you to give me a job. I assure you I'm mind-floggingly talented at everything I haven't yet learnt to do.

Prylex3
Apr 22, 2003

Woof! Woof! posted:

I work at an agency that was just named an Agency to Watch for Ad Age's Next A-List.

I write there and work with creatives of all disciplines.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about the creative end of advertising. I'll try my best to answer.

What kind of education backgrounds do the creatives have? I have always been told the big name agencies pay attention where you were educated. I am curious if the upcoming smaller agencies still hold to this mentality.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

Pantothenate posted:

I'm going through a post-grad program for Advertising/Copywriting. They said the degree is toilet paper compared to the portfolio they're going to help you throw together--they had a display of a bunch of their previous year's students work, and none of it was Colin's Bear, so I'm pretty hopeful about the program--plus it's got a summer internship tacked onto it, which is always a good thing (assuming you're picked up by someone decent).

The thing I'm a little iffy about is security coming out. I realize that there's a bunch of contract work out there--and I got into this expecting to be held over the coals on projects and whatnot (the type of pressure I can't really function without), but now that I'm starting to get a little older and think a little more future-wise, I'm sort of curious how common the more secure, salaried work is in the field.

Also, I want you to give me a job. I assure you I'm mind-floggingly talented at everything I haven't yet learnt to do.

Right now? 200, 250 applicants per job posting. The low end work that freelancers usually learned on as newbies has all been outsourced to other countries with competition design sites, which produce often IP violating poo poo that no one should ever use. Interactive is really the only area that posts salaried jobs with any frequency right now.

My advice? Internships, and lots of them. They're backdoors into agencies, but watch out, as many agencies will churn through new graduates to do grunt work and burn you out. More internships = better chance of finding a good work/life balance and a salaried position coming out of school. Try an in-house internship as well if you can find one, to see if that side of the coin suits you. It can be really nice for the right company as you can shape the entire brand in a way you never can in an agency, or really anonymous and unfullfilling with limited exposure to other designers.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Bombchu posted:

I'm going to York University this fall for Fine Art.

I'm super nervous. :ohdear: Mostly because of the new environment and whatnot.

Not really familiar with that particular course, but if there's something more general that's on your mind re Fine Art degrees and work in general in the UK and what to do after and whatnot, I might be able to answer/help.

I do know a couple of things going on in the north/midlands, but not too much.

I'm just MAing down in London after taking three years out after finishing my BA.

Edit: wait, is that in England or Canada? 'cos I don't know poo poo about Canada.

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2010

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"
Where would I go to get a general idea of what it takes to become an industrial designer, and what the job is like on a day to day basis. I've done a bit of googling on it and all that's come up is really general information. I'm partway through a useless BA so I doubt there would be harm in changing direction.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

nm

some dillweed fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 22, 2023

pirate wench
Feb 28, 2004

Backstory: I live in Iowa right now. I've been to school for commercial photography, and since the economy has ruined the careers of a lot of folks, getting a job as a commercial photographer anywhere is like pulling teeth from a chicken. Photographers hire assistants who stick around for years, and getting your foot in the door is basically sitting around, waiting for an assistant to get sick and hoping the photographer invites you back the next time they're in a pinch.

Current: I've been working as an assistant to a portrait photographer. I do the majority of digital retouching (especially anything remotely challenging) and any sort of design work the studio needs (cards, collages, etc), so I'm very familiar with Photoshop. I very much wish I could get a career doing only retouching, but looking around, I've found that it's not a very real possibility. I dislike portraiture work and I have awful credit/no collateral to even THINK about opening a studio of my own.

That brings me here. I'd like to go back to school to pursue a career in graphic design. However, I have a few hurdles, I was hoping someone in here could help me out a bit with these issues, because online searches have not been helpful at all (they all point me to the coast's Art Institutes or online scammy schools):

1. Which schools are good? The mid-west would be nice, but relocation certainly isn't out of the question, especially if I start at a 2 year community college and then transfer.

2. Which specializations are ACTUALLY in demand and worth going to school for/specializing in?

3. Should I look at starting off at a 2 year college and transfer into a 4 year (for monetary purposes)?

4. Is a career in graphic design worth anything or am I just being silly?

Any info that anyone can impart is very welcome; I'm 26, working 2 very dead-end jobs for 60+ hours a week, barely making enough to live on and I hate my life. Please help!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

We've been interviewing folks this week and it's been a comedy of errors. Some highlights:
  • Candidate only has online portfolio but doesn't bring a computer.
  • Candidate brings computer but it requires multiple reboots and dicking around with to get working, wasting 15 minutes of a 1 hour interview.
  • Candidate doesn't have files organized, 20% of interview is him digging around through folders and seeing which version is the "right" one.
  • Candidate has 10 years of experience and only 3 things in her portfolio.
  • Candidate gets asked "tell us about a time when you were able to resolve a conflict between the business requirements and usability" and for some reason tells a story about how rad the drag and drop in Jquery UI is instead.
  • Candidate can't remember hiring manager's name so he snaps a couple times looking confused before pointing and calling her "you".
  • Multiple grammatical errors on resume.
  • Verbatim answer, "I'm really good at working with... people."
  • Candidate's portfolio consists entirely of internal business documentation from a competitor, completely unscrubbed of proprietary information.
And this is for a non-glamorous but decently paying 6+ month contract gig at a major company. Plus these were the people who got through the phone screen.

So if you've got interviews remain calm, have your poo poo together and most importantly listen. I'd rather have 20 seconds of silence while you consider your answer than a non-stop wall of bullshit to fill time. And I'd rather you show your insight by asking us smart questions about how we work or the project instead of having to draw everything about who you are and how you work by asking the correct series of questions. Seriously, when interviewers ask "do you have any questions for us?" that is an interview question and the correct answer is generally not "no".

Also, be able to talk design. It's not even supposed to be a "gotcha" question but "What's the last piece of design you saw that really impressed you?" has utterly crushed more people than I ever thought it would. I just like talking shop.

I actually still rely on a printed portfolio even for UI design because I can show several things at once and there's never any technology issues.

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 13, 2010

of Zombie Origin
Aug 24, 2006

Can't believe you shot my FISH, man

Toucan Dodo posted:

Not really familiar with that particular course, but if there's something more general that's on your mind re Fine Art degrees and work in general in the UK and what to do after and whatnot, I might be able to answer/help.

I do know a couple of things going on in the north/midlands, but not too much.

I'm just MAing down in London after taking three years out after finishing my BA.

Edit: wait, is that in England or Canada? 'cos I don't know poo poo about Canada.
I know I'm replying to you a little late here, but was just wondering if you could offer some advice to a fellow UK Goon?

Graduated last year with a History BA. During my time at uni I really got into drawing comics and since I've left have self-published a couple of things. I'm pretty keen on getting involved in illustration work, but have no professional experience and the last academic artistic qualification I have was GCSE level! In your opinion is it worth going for a course to pick up an actual qualification of sorts, or just working my arse off in free time to get a portfolio together?

Black Is Black
Jan 6, 2007

qirex posted:

We've been interviewing folks this week and it's been a comedy of errors.

Just to elaborate on this a bit...

I can't speak for Qirex, but when we hire for an out of school no real work experience position we just really want to see if you have some design chops. Your portfolio doesn't have to be filled with great stuff, but instead the presentation of that work and having an opinion on why you did certain things will probably get you a job.

Being a designer means that you have an opinion on how something should be made. It's a balance of ego and expertise and if you can't come to grips with that you will probably still find a job somewhere, but there is a big difference between designers with opinions and those that just say "yes" and "no" to things.

Be confident in your interviews, ask questions and remember that you went through years of schooling (or self schooling in some cases) to work a job you love so be sure find out if the job you are applying for is the right one for you.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Luckily on Friday we interviewed someone who was a great match and we extended an offer today.

Black is Black has a lot of good points too, especially about not being afraid to have opinions. All designers have opinions and we're not necessarily looking for people who agree with them. If you can explain the reasons you have those opinions that's what really matters.

Also I definitely agree ask questions about the work environment, the team, the company, etc. Interviews go both ways. You need to figure out if it's the right place for you in addition to them evaluating you. Sometimes you can end up at a job that looks great on paper but you're just not a good match for it. Hell, it happened to me twice in two years.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

of Zombie Origin posted:

I know I'm replying to you a little late here, but was just wondering if you could offer some advice to a fellow UK Goon?

Graduated last year with a History BA. During my time at uni I really got into drawing comics and since I've left have self-published a couple of things. I'm pretty keen on getting involved in illustration work, but have no professional experience and the last academic artistic qualification I have was GCSE level! In your opinion is it worth going for a course to pick up an actual qualification of sorts, or just working my arse off in free time to get a portfolio together?

With Comics, I'd say just get on with it. If you find that you've got some things to improve technically then do short courses and get into properly harsh crit groups. You will never make your best work in isolation, so find other people who you can talk to who are as good/better than you. A BA/MA in illustration or similar is useful to get into industry, to do your own things there are cheaper and more effective ways to go.

If you're looking into courses, then look into the tutors and the industry connections. Most of the 'name' colleges (St. Martins, RCA, LCC, etc.) will give you more of a foot in the door with advertising/illustration and so forth. If you do want to get into illustration/design professionally then yeah, I guess I would recommend it, provided you get into a good course. You'll (hopefully) learn a lot of the good habits and have some bad ones you might have picked up beaten out of you. Plus they'll (hopefully) teach you all about how to do all the annoying things right (scanning/cleaning/formatting/colouring/file formatting and what have you). Also you will (hopefully) have access to good gear. Most importantly they will make you do better work than you would on your own (with all the beating things out of you they should be doing) and then finally give you a good platform to show it off on and the right people to show it off to.

As for comic book courses, I have zero idea what's available in the UK, but if you're feeling brave then perhaps check out colleges in Belgium and France. They take their comics/illustration very seriously. Plus you might learn another language.

Lastly, research bios of artists you like and see if you can pick apart the route they took to where they are. It won't give you a road map, but it'll give you some pointers for sure.

Hope that helps a little. If I haven't really answered your question then I can try again. If it raises more, then shoot.

of Zombie Origin
Aug 24, 2006

Toucan Dodo posted:

Advice
Thanks a lot for such a comprehensive reply, it is greatly appreciated!

To be honest with regard to longer courses I don't have the time or financial means to really invest in another degree per se. Everything you say with regard to the benefits of taking a course really makes sense though, and I'm wondering if there's perhaps a way of doing that alongside my job. What are your thoughts with regard to 'foundation' and access courses?

I think the biggest thing I've already seen in the limited freelance work I've picked up and whatnot, is it's who you know not what you know. And as you say, if a course can help to provide access to those channels then all the better for it. The London art colleges all seem terrifyingly great at what they do, so I'd imagine a strong portfolio would be needed for application.

Think your comment regarding researching other artists is actually a strong idea. It does give a 'creative History graduate' (haha) some hope, when I find others with similar degrees finding their own ways into the industry.

Out of interest, if you don't mind my asking, what course are/have you been studying and do you have any immediate post-qualification plans for progressing in the industry?

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Most courses you will be able to do part time. As for foundation courses, I'd say you're probably not going to get too much out of them. They are mostly there for kids out of school who've only ever done painting/sculpture, DT and a little clip art or whatever. They introduce people to most of the creative courses offered by the colleges that they might never have heard of/considered.

Useful for two things: One is to discover that you're actually a fashion designer or somesuch, and two to get you into a BA. OK for portfolio building but not essential.

Don't be too daunted by the LONDON colleges. They get more applications sure, but their teaching and their standard is usually only marginally better. If you're serious about your discipline you're already ahead of many. A strong portfolio should be a given if you want to make anything more than a hobby.

I will say that there's more and more applicants and while class sizes have increased, they haven't kept pace. Which is good(ish) and bad. Bad because it makes it harder to get in and good(ish) because class sizes are already mostly too big.

Had a look at your website, and you can draw, so that's already a big plus. Really good to see that you've taken some work into print. If you're looking into illustration/design, then it would be good to see work which doesn't have to do with a comic.

Myself, I went straight from my A-Levels into a foundation course at Chelsea College of Art Design where I tried everything from graphic design to film to fashion. Ended up doing photography/painting. Then a BA at St. Martins in fine art. Graduated 2006. I took three years out, just working, making work and showing a bit. During that time I was trying to find a proper job I could cope with, and really seeing whether I might be able to pull the art thing off. In 2009 I applied and got into the Royal College to study for a masters in fine art/Printmaking. Just now, I'm on holiday after my first year, spending it mostly in the studio working and writing my dissertation and doing shop work.

The most I got from the courses was confidence in my work and a group of really good and talented friends. That last thing is vital. Totally vital.

Anyway, as an example, http://www.jeanjullien.com/index.php this guy just graduated from the RCA design/illustration course last year. He went to St. Martins before where he did a lot of film work alongside his illustrations.

Check out some of the other people at http://www.rca.ac.uk/Default.aspx?ContentID=157857&CategoryID=36646

I know it's one course and a little specific on how it does stuff, but it'll give you some idea of what's possible and what others get up to.

Lenin Riefenstahl fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 18, 2010

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
I feel so embarrassed. Did the interview two weeks ago, and they're still deliberating between candidates. I'm getting so worked up about it that I've already convinced myself that I had a terrible interview, when deep down I know that I didn't. I just wish I knew one way or the other, because I want to start planning out the next year of my career. Hell, the next year of my life.

I hate that I've outgrown the place where I am, I'm itching to take the next step, and now I'm waiting to see if I get to take a big step forward, or start over from square one. I've talked about this with my wife and family for so long that I'm sure they're tired of hearing me talk, and now I can't find any other outlet other than whining on an internet forum... about a job that I may or may not get. And everything that will happen once I know.

So embarrassed.

of Zombie Origin
Aug 24, 2006

Toucan Dodo posted:

Advice
Makes a lot of sense. As far as I can ascertain, it seems my best bet would probably be take some evening courses and put my all into developing a portfolio outside of academia. Nice to know that pursuing a foundation course of sorts would be a relatively fruitless exercise - seems as if it would provide no more than 'filler' material and that I would have all but grown out of it's target audience.

As you say, I think my next step is to develop work outside of comics. I guess this will only come through practice, but it's nice to get some clarity as to knowing where to go with this stuff. The biggest dilemma seems to be whether or not to pursue a full 'degree' as such. It is certainly something to consider in this case, although I imagine evening and weekend course practice could prove far more fruitful.

Academically/professionally you seem to be in a similar place to me (albeit with greater experience of the field!). Interesting that you place so much emphasis on sharing the experience with friends/co-creators. It's something I have considered in the past, working generally on my own, but never thought about going out of my way to develop. I'd like to get involved with some evening classes just to get a feel for working among others and see if it suits.

Thanks for the in-depth responses anyway, mate. Much appreciated!

MuscleMilk
Mar 19, 2009

by angerbot
What are your guys' opinions on blogspot portfolios?

I remember going to Dreamworks about 1-2 years ago, and they said just a simple layout with your portfolio work is fine for entry-level positions.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

MuscleMilk posted:

I remember going to Dreamworks about 1-2 years ago, and they said just a simple layout with your portfolio work is fine for entry-level positions.

No one I or my friends have talked to about it cares (this includes Pixar, Microsoft Games, SOE, Dreamworks, Blizzard). As long as it's usable, simple, and shows your work well.

Unless this is for graphic or web design, in which case, lol.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Does anyone remember that print designer who had a portfolio that was one super-tall image?

Domains and hosting are mad cheap right now and making a single column web page with images on it is something that is really not very difficult. You don't need animated navigation or a zooming jQuery lightbox effect or anything.

Insipid Oyster
Jun 29, 2010
Does anyone have any idea how to get an entry-level clerical job in a publishing company? Google is failing me.

I want the experience in the company to decide if I want to pursue publication. I'm currently working on a two-year degree in International Studies, planning on studying abroad in Germany for my BA in one of the following: linguistics/translation/interpretation/journalism/creative writing. It all depends on where my job experience takes me.

I live in northern New Jersey, and could easily commute to New York City for this.

I'm just getting hosed over right now in retail (shocker there), so if I'm going to get poo poo pay and do bitch work, I want to get poo poo pay and do bitch work in a position related to my interests.

Work experience:
Position - Employer - Time/Duration
Clerical assistant - PTHSD Board of Education - Summer 2008
Copy and Print Production Center Specialist - Staples - May 2009 through October 2009
EasyTech Specialist - Staples - November 2009 through June 2010
Customer Service Lead In-Training - July 2010 to present

invarilin
Aug 31, 2001

district 12 posted:

Anyone with any experience at Pacific Northwest College of Arts, or the Portland State art department? I am toying with the idea of relocating. I'm guessing Portland/the Pacific Northwest's probably competitive as hell with graphic design though as it is very up-and-coming.

This is so totally a year late but I wish I would have seen this sooner. Portland State has a pretty bad rear end graphic design department.

Frank Chimero is on faculty: http://work.frankchimero.com/

Their blog: http://gdpsu.typepad.com/commandsave/

Max
Nov 30, 2002

invarilin posted:

This is so totally a year late but I wish I would have seen this sooner. Portland State has a pretty bad rear end graphic design department.

Frank Chimero is on faculty: http://work.frankchimero.com/

Their blog: http://gdpsu.typepad.com/commandsave/

Portland in general is pretty happening. I know a lot of my friends that have moved out there to become part of the art scene.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So I just wanted to say thank you to those who helped provide input on my previous inquiries concerning the balance between family and a job opportunity far away. I heard back from them late last week, and they're going to offer me the job. I'll be transferring from Fairfax, VA to move alllll the way out to Edmonton, AB. It still hasn't sunk in yet, but I am nonetheless optimistic, and really, really looking forward to working with some products that excite me.

I sat down with my wife to show her the newly released trailer for the game I'll be working on, and she told me immediately that she could see it. That spark in my eyes that had been absent for too long. That alone was enough for her to know that we're making the right decision, and she's excited to see me excited. There is still a TON of things that we need to get figured out in between now and then (including when "then" is), but I did it. An opportunity was present, and I went for it. It's a brand new chapter in my career.

Thank you for the support and advice.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

Supporters of whatever they're calling the club this week.
Things About Advertising

Pantothenate posted:

School, Degrees, Internships and (Most Importantly) Your Book

Degrees are, for the most part, irrelevant. In fact, where you go is for the most part irrelevant. Portfolio schools are mostly the same, MAS is good because of the tacked in opportunities to go to another location and potential internship however, in the end your book is everything.

You’re going back to school to get a book, and it’s the only thing that will get you a job. When you apply, they will want your book before they bring you in (and likely in a digital/online format) and that will be the deciding factor in your hiring. Focus on making your book good, above all else. You grades are mostly irrelevant, but if you’re working as hard as you should be on your book, then you’ll get good ones anyways.

It’s great to get an internship, and working at a major agency is a cool opportunity. That said, if you have control over where you go, go to the place that will give you the most opportunity to produce real work. Your summer internship at CPB may sound fancy, but it’s useless if you spend three months binding decks for presentations. If a boutique in Minneapolis is going to let you write actual copy for GoldenPlump, that’s real content for your portfolio.

Being a Starving (Commercial) Artist

You will at no point ever have “good” job security in this field. It will always be possible to be laid off. Even the biggest agencies lose clients and when they do, they tend to lose people as well. I know freelancers more successful than me, and often they get to work on more exciting projects. There are tradeoffs to everything, but at least a freelancer knows when their projects are coming to an end. I’m young (sub 30) but I am quickly realizing working at a very “safe and successful” agency is pushing me away from what made me want to be a writer.

Prylex3 posted:

What kind of education backgrounds do the creatives have? I have always been told the big name agencies pay attention where you were educated. I am curious if the upcoming smaller agencies still hold to this mentality.

A Bit More On Schools and Books

It varies dramatically, but for the most part designers will have a 4-year uni degree in design. If their program didn’t help them produce a portfolio, they likely attended a school like MAS, Brainco, Chicago Portfolio or VCU. Writers have a more diverse background, most successful writers will have a 4-year uni degree in almost anything (but frequently advertising, pr, communications, English or creative writing) and then a degree from a portfolio school (where they went to develop their book).

In my experience, no agency (big or small) has ever prioritized a degree over a book. As stated earlier, schools are mostly irrelevant. The only exception to this may be VCU’s Brandcenter, because it is hands down the greatest school on the planet for advertising. It’s very challenging to get admitted to, but worth a shot because agencies come to the school for hires.

MuscleMilk posted:

I don’t know what industry this question is for, but in advertising no matter what you do, be it writing, graphic design or even development, you should be able to appreciate good design. With that in mind I don’t see how a blogspot portfolio could do much to convey the fact you are different than your peers and worth a deeper look.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 31, 2010

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Woof! Woof! posted:

I don’t know what industry this question is for, but in advertising no matter what you do, be it writing, graphic design or even development, you should be able to appreciate good design. With that in mind I don’t see how a blogspot portfolio could do much to convey the fact you are different than your peers and worth a deeper look.

This is total bollocks. Creative Directors aren't interested in the design of the website you use to house your portfolio - they're interested in your ideas. It really doesn't matter what site you use - Blogspot is absolutely fine. Or Wordpress, or Behance, or whatever you want.

There's no point spending months agonising over creating a portfolio site from scratch to reproduce functionality that's widely available for nothing. Put that effort into your ideas and copy instead.

If you're a web designer, obviously the rules are different - but for ad creatives, the site your portfolio is on really doesn't matter as long as it's easily accessible.

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
Yeah I know both fine artists and designers who use blogspot, as long as your photos / examples are clean its not a big deal. I personally have a wordpress blog on a custom domain for my own poo poo, which is almost the same thing. Taking photos of my paintings is enough of a pain in the rear end that worrying about the design of stuff for something that only a few people really give a poo poo about isn't worth it. If I made six figures a year it might be, but at my level it's definitely not.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It doesn't matter where it's hosted but I'd expect a design candidate to develop their own design for their personal site. If I saw someone using a premade blogspot template and then they had a bunch of kick-rear end work hosted on it I'd wonder how much of it they really did.

You don't need an animated flyout nav and alpha-fading lightbox for your pieces. HTML is really drat easy and even if you're all-print now it's really not hard to take a template and modify it so that it's yours. Not that being all-print now is an especially wise choice as a young designer.

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

marshmallard posted:

This is total bollocks. Creative Directors aren't interested in the design of the website you use to house your portfolio - they're interested in your ideas.

I never suggested the design of a portfolio take precedence over its content.

But, at the end of the day your "work speaking for itself" still has to be heard over the crowd. Humans can barely process four options, much less the hundred of books you'll compete against. Sorry, none of us are so good as to be the "clear winner" in any pool of applicants.

Feel free to disregard my advice (we'll both sleep fine tonight regardless) but just because your work's quality is paramount, doesn't negate the value of its presentation.

Woof! Woof! fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Aug 31, 2010

Beat.
Nov 22, 2003

Hey, baby, wanna come up and see my etchings?
The "common sense" in me tells me anyone doing web based work should be doing their own site's design, certainly. But what I said may also have to do with the fact that I'm not talking about top flight designers or world class art personalities.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Woof! Woof! posted:

I never suggested it take precedence over your work.

Also, if you feel presentation is irrelevant, I suggest you consider a different field—assuming you work in advertising.

Feel free to disregard my advice (we'll both sleep fine tonight regardless) but just because one thing is the most important, doesn't negate the value of the rest.

No, but you did say "I don’t see how a blogspot portfolio could do much to convey the fact you are different than your peers and worth a deeper look." - the ideas make the difference, obviously. Saying "You're not original as a writer/whatever because you use Blogspot" is like saying "because you use the same internet as everyone else". It's just nonsense, it's not even remotely about what platform your work is displayed on for a Copywriter. If you can write and your ideas are good, it can be on eBaumsworld for all I care.

And yes, I do work in advertising, as a Copywriter. I didn't even remotely suggest that I think presentation is irrelevant - but the presentation of your ideas in your scamps/whatever is infinitely more important to me than some coding your mate did to help you get your stuff online.

Edit: just to reiterate - none of this applies to Web Designers. If you're advertising your design skills, then you should be designing your own site. But there's no reason whatsoever that a Copywriter should have to waste time learning coding and web design to put their stuff online when they could be using that time to hone their craft.

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 31, 2010

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

marshmallard posted:

Saying "You're not original as a writer/whatever because you use Blogspot" is like saying "because you use the same internet as everyone else".

I never suggested using blogspot makes you unoriginal. I suggested that it lacked the ability to convey a point of difference. It does not negate your work, but it certainly does nothing to compliment it.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Woof! Woof! posted:

I never suggested using blogspot makes you unoriginal. I suggested that it lacked the ability to convey a point of difference. It does not negate your work, but it certainly does nothing to compliment it.

But your point of difference should always be your ideas, not the platform they're hosted on. You must agree with that, surely?

Woof! Woof!
Aug 21, 2006

marshmallard posted:

But your point of difference should always be your ideas, not the platform they're hosted on. You must agree with that, surely?

Yes, I agree that your work is, unquestionably, the most absolutely important part.

I just suggest that your diligence, your effort, should not cease when the work is done. It is the reason we frame our paintings, hang them to avoid the east and west walls, and make sure the dimmer switch for the track lighting is set just right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Woof! Woof! posted:

Yes, I agree that your work is, unquestionably, the most absolutely important part.

I just suggest that your diligence, your effort, should not cease when the work is done. It is the reason we frame our paintings, hang them to avoid the east and west walls, and make sure the dimmer switch for the track lighting is set just right.

A creative's portfolio is never finished. And given the hours we work, I'd be amazed if anyone had time to put down all the good ideas they've ever had, perfectly craft the copy and then start coding a website to house it all. But if anyone out there does - more power to them.