Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Adar posted:

The janitor thread posted:

I don't know what the moral of the story is, but I'd think twice about loving with Law School.
Next you'll be telling me doctors are respected and nurses get jobs!

Petey posted:

http://www.wcax.com/Global/story.asp?S=12826115 posted:

The New Hampshire Bar Association has posted a message on its website warning that sophisticated scams are targeting lawyers.
I remember a similar notice circulated at my firm from the SC bar. One of our offices actually had a similar issue involving one of their associates, but I believe the bank didn't hold our lawyer accountable (I think due to a lower amount + frequent client).

That sucks for unnamed NH lawyer, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For a while I was getting a few of those from career builder as "job offers". I think the job title was "account transfer executive" or something. The letters were signed "TOP MANAGER".

career builder sucks

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Ainsley McTree posted:

career builder sucks

It does! There were a couple Cutco-like scams that I got calls from based on my careerbuilder profile.

One of them was called Northeast Marketing Inc or something. They offered marketing jobs, BUT FIRST you had to attend a training session - which you had to pay for - which was offered by a similar company. At the same address. With the same contact person.

Basically, they'd just prey on people who desperately needed a job, and offer them something if they paid for a training session, and then just never do anything.

http://indeed.com all the way.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oh yeah I've been getting calls daily (at least!) from bullshit vaguely scam-like people as well for a month or two now. The biggest offender is TRG field solutions, which offers you a lucrative door-to-door commission-only sales job for verizon. People sign up for cell phone plans from door-to-door salesmen, right?

I just have to laugh at them though because they're so persistent yet they're so sloppy. Obviously they never mention exactly what the job is, I figured that out by googling the phone number. But most of the time they never even mention what the company is, they'll just say "I'm calling about your resume, call me back at blah blah blah". A couple of times I even had a call that went something like "Hello, I'm calling from *coughcoughcough* about your resume and blah blah blah". One time I got an e-mail from them in regards to the voicemail that they left me only there wasn't actually a voicemail that day (for once!).

Still, I should probably call back

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Phil Moscowitz posted:

how did anyone fall for that poo poo, my firm gets like twenty of those a week

at $240K per person that falls for it, I guess you only need ~1 sucker per year to live the good life.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I've been working in a copy room for a law firm for about a year and have been offered a paralegal position by HR. I am a bit weary about accepting it as I don't want to be shown up as out of my depth. I have an education up to decent A-levels but didn't go to uni and by the looks of this thread goons are a bit disparaging about law schools/degrees. Is on the job learning a bit less soul destroying and does anyone know what my career prospects would be like if I do take this path?

Obviously I've asked people I work with but I would like to hear from some outside experiences.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

made of paper posted:

I've been working in a copy room for a law firm for about a year and have been offered a paralegal position by HR. I am a bit weary about accepting it as I don't want to be shown up as out of my depth. I have an education up to decent A-levels but didn't go to uni and by the looks of this thread goons are a bit disparaging about law schools/degrees. Is on the job learning a bit less soul destroying and does anyone know what my career prospects would be like if I do take this path?

Obviously I've asked people I work with but I would like to hear from some outside experiences.

Go for it dude, being a paralegal is generally a lot less soul destroying than being a lawyer. Most of the paralegals I know work 9-5, are compensated well, and are never in on Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays.

Plus the firm is offering you this job without you having to pay for any bullshit training to actually get certified? I sounds like an opportunity to me. All the gripes in this thread apply specifically to attorneys. Paralegals live a different life.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Thanks Defleshed, that's what I've heard from other people but I thought I should ask here incase they were harbouring some terrible secret.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Defleshed posted:

at $240K per person that falls for it, I guess you only need ~1 sucker per year to live the good life.

I know, but the bar association has been sending warnings about this exact scam to all lawyers in the state for at least a year now

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

made of paper posted:

Why wouldn't you take it? The thread warns against burying yourself in debt and not being able to find a job for your trouble. You don't have any debt and are being offered a job.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Defleshed posted:

Go for it dude, being a paralegal is generally a lot less soul destroying than being a lawyer. Most of the paralegals I know work 9-5, are compensated well, and are never in on Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays.
That's not at all in line with what I've heard from talking with my firm's paralegals and other paralegals I know. Paralegals get the same sort of "poo poo, drop your plans and deal with this stack of documents" except some of the time it's as even the associate leaves. One girl I was talking to this week mentioned she'd been in until 3-4 several times...and still been expected to show up at 9 the next day. Frankly, it sounds like it can be worse than being an associate by a lot.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

That's not at all in line with what I've heard from talking with my firm's paralegals and other paralegals I know. Paralegals get the same sort of "poo poo, drop your plans and deal with this stack of documents" except some of the time it's as even the associate leaves. One girl I was talking to this week mentioned she'd been in until 3-4 several times...and still been expected to show up at 9 the next day. Frankly, it sounds like it can be worse than being an associate by a lot.

From all accounts, the up past midnight, show up the next day on time rule for staff seems to be an exclusively NY thing. Maybe a couple of other cities too, but mostly NY.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

Why wouldn't you take it? The thread warns against burying yourself in debt and not being able to find a job for your trouble. You don't have any debt and are being offered a job.

I was more worried about being dropped in the deep end and seeing whether I sink or swim than anything else. Some people at my firm that were my age went from being in support to being fee earners but were in intermediate positions like clerking for a little while before becoming a paralegal.

Would this be a better idea, to wait for a position like that to come up or is the jump not as bad as I think it will be?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

made of paper posted:

I was more worried about being dropped in the deep end and seeing whether I sink or swim than anything else. Some people at my firm that were my age went from being in support to being fee earners but were in intermediate positions like clerking for a little while before becoming a paralegal.

Would this be a better idea, to wait for a position like that to come up or is the jump not as bad as I think it will be?

Wait, you're in Britian, right? I just noticed that A-levels business - most people's experiences here will be about American firms.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Wait, you're in Britian, right? I just noticed that A-levels business - most people's experiences here will be about American firms.

Yeah I'm English. Does the culture really vary that much between countries?

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Adar posted:

From all accounts, the up past midnight, show up the next day on time rule for staff seems to be an exclusively NY thing. Maybe a couple of other cities too, but mostly NY.
I've seen it in DC, but that's just anecdotal. I have no idea what the city's general atmosphere is.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

made of paper posted:

Yeah I'm English. Does the culture really vary that much between countries?

Ahhh, my advice was for Chicago area firms. Apparently New York is different and I don't have any idea what British firm culture is like. Take my advice with a grain of salt, then.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Even if it turns out being a paralegal sucks that's fine because if you leave you don't owe $150k and will be able to get another job doing anything else.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

For these form 6524 and form OF-306 which need a signature that I'm doing for the IRS for OCI, am I supposed to print it out, sign it, and then scan it back in? Seems to degrade the quality a little.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.
Whisky chat: I bought a bottle of Amrut "Fusion" yesterday. It's from a distillery in Bangalore (where all our jobs will soon be) and is made from both Scottish and Indian grown barley. poo poo was fantastic, almost custard-like malt sweetness and some sea salt.

It's a big change from the usual Islay-types I prefer. See if you can find it, and if you can, buy it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Defleshed posted:

Ahhh, my advice was for Chicago area firms. Apparently New York is different and I don't have any idea what British firm culture is like. Take my advice with a grain of salt, then.

Magic circle firms are like NY firms.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
Anecdotally, one of the people in the Bronx office with me used to be a paralegal in Covington Burling and said it was absolutely brutal, but that the money was a lot better there.

So basically it's the same thing as everywhere else you go.

Also, people in my bureau work maybe 25 or 30 hours a week (the lawyers - I don't know about the staff).

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

billion dollar bitch posted:

Anecdotally, one of the people in the Bronx office with me used to be a paralegal in Covington Burling and said it was absolutely brutal, but that the money was a lot better there.

So basically it's the same thing as everywhere else you go.

Also, people in my bureau work maybe 25 or 30 hours a week (the lawyers - I don't know about the staff).

Bronx firm office? Or do you mean the DA's office? I don't remember where you said you were working this summer.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I'm in the Appeals Bureau of the Office of the District Attorney, Bronx County. It's great work, but I feel like we are churning a very small pot very quickly - much ink is spilled over such petty occasions.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

I'm in the Appeals Bureau of the Office of the District Attorney, Bronx County. It's great work, but I feel like we are churning a very small pot very quickly - much ink is spilled over such petty occasions.

I assume the ADAs in the other bureaus are working a much higher workload? Few of the ADAs/DA's office interns I've spoken with in New York offices have encountered ADAs working 40 hour-a-week schedules, and certainly not less than that.

What's the Bronx office like, by the way, in terms of organization and the morale of the ADAs, and just your general feel for the office? I've met people from all the other offices in the city but the Bronx.

Solomon Grundy
Feb 10, 2007

Born on a Monday

Mookie posted:

Whisky chat: I bought a bottle of Amrut "Fusion" yesterday. It's from a distillery in Bangalore (where all our jobs will soon be) and is made from both Scottish and Indian grown barley. poo poo was fantastic, almost custard-like malt sweetness and some sea salt.

It's a big change from the usual Islay-types I prefer. See if you can find it, and if you can, buy it.

I would, but I am currently involved in a torrid love affair with Red Breast right now.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.

prussian advisor posted:

I assume the ADAs in the other bureaus are working a much higher workload? Few of the ADAs/DA's office interns I've spoken with in New York offices have encountered ADAs working 40 hour-a-week schedules, and certainly not less than that.

What's the Bronx office like, by the way, in terms of organization and the morale of the ADAs, and just your general feel for the office? I've met people from all the other offices in the city but the Bronx.

It's total camaraderie, from what I can see. The DA, Robert Johnson, asks everyone to just call him Rob, and plays basketball at the summer picnic. Everyone's door is open (at least on my floor, and from what I see of the trial bureau on the eighth). Human resources seem to have done a very good job.

It doesn't seem to be so cutthroat as other places. There were layoffs, but it seems like they did it by laying off the dregs who would've been gone anyways (some people who were just breaking rules right and left; one person who was retiring was moved into the layoff column to appease the budget gnomes).

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
If I had faith in the criminal justice system, or did not mind being poor (either one of these, really), I would stay in the Bronx DA for a very, very long time.

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

Mookie posted:

Davis has Murderburger, home of the Aggie Annihilator and, fittingly, of an actual murder.

My ex worked there for several months. The owner is loving nuts and will hire just about anybody willing to work and put up with his abuse. There was some homeless guy he hired who slept in a trailer thing in the parking lot and showered with the garden hose in the morning before work.

But the food is damned good.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mrtoodles posted:

My ex worked there for several months. The owner is loving nuts and will hire just about anybody willing to work and put up with his abuse. There was some homeless guy he hired who slept in a trailer thing in the parking lot and showered with the garden hose in the morning before work.

But the food is damned good.

Where is this?

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

If I had faith in the criminal justice system, or did not mind being poor (either one of these, really), I would stay in the Bronx DA for a very, very long time.

What's the pay like?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Holland Oats posted:

What's the pay like?
If I recall correctly, NYC DAs are like $50k (or maybe less)

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The NYC DA offices start at 50 - 55k depending on borough. They also require a three-year commitment from new hires and aren't very accommodating to people who want to break it. I don't know how the pay scales with seniority so I don't know how much you'd be making after your first year.

billion dollar bitch
Jul 20, 2005

To drink and fight.
To fuck all night.
I don't know, but I was driven back from an event by a CLS graduate, one of the smartest people in the bureau, in his Honda Accord with tape deck and cloth seats.

I know you can make all kinds of arguments about priorities, conspicuous consumption, and all that, but I want to have a family someday (he's single).

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

I don't know, but I was driven back from an event by a CLS graduate, one of the smartest people in the bureau, in his Honda Accord with tape deck and cloth seats.

I know you can make all kinds of arguments about priorities, conspicuous consumption, and all that, but I want to have a family someday (he's single).

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

_areaman posted:

I will drive my corolla until it catches fire and melts into the pavement, no matter how rich I am. Why waste money on a car? Housing is where it's at

Can I have both?

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Roger_Mudd posted:

Can I have both?

Yes, just live in your car! Problem solved!

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Just be a traveling attorney and live/work out of an Airstream. Didn't we already have this discussion?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

_areaman posted:

because sometimes, working air conditioning is worth paying for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_areaman
Oct 28, 2009

evilweasel posted:

because sometimes, working air conditioning is worth paying for

The air conditioning is fine, although accelerating uphill with the a/c going almost breaks its will to live