Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

This thing is awesome and compact though.

poo poo, that is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I got mine back tonight

it's Buick Grand National time

well, time to make it start first. It's been sitting a while, and needs... stuff to make it run.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Replaced the cracked radiator in my sister's 95 Civic.

Praying she didn't blow the headgasket when it overheated oh god

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Charged the (completely dead) battery. Now the tailgate won't open for some reason.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ive been removing the tint, since when I bought it it was already bubbling and turned purple. Shops want $129 for new tint, but they want almost the same to take it off, so I just decided to take it off myself. Its a bitch, but gently caress paying $125 for them to do it.

Ill try to take a middle, and after pic tomorrow.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Removing tint is pretty easy except for the back window with the defroster lines. I ended up cutting some lines in my rear defroster when I removed the lovely tiny on my ZX2. I tried fixing it with that defroster paint but it didn't end up working.

Spray the glass with harsh glass cleaner with ammonia. Tape plastic up over the glass cleaner so it can't evaporate. Wait a while then try to pull the tint material off. You might have better luck than I did because I tried this in the winter.

I vacuumed out the AC system in the 1991 Tracer LTS that came back to me. It holds vacuum. I put in oil but the system doesn't seem to want to take on any new refrigerant.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jul 17, 2010

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

PBCrunch posted:

Removing tint is pretty easy except for the back window with the defroster lines. I ended up cutting some lines in my rear defroster when I removed the lovely tiny on my ZX2. I tried fixing it with that defroster paint but it didn't end up working.

Spray the glass with harsh glass cleaner with ammonia. Tape plastic up over the glass cleaner so it can't evaporate. Wait a while then try to pull the tint material off. You might have better luck than I did because I tried this in the winter.

I vacuumed out the AC system in the 1991 Tracer LTS that came back to me. It holds vacuum. I put in oil but the system doesn't seem to want to take on any new refrigerant.

Put the bottle you're charging from in scalding water. That should bring the pressure up enough for the compressor to kick on.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PBCrunch posted:

Yeah, the tint shop recommended just a regular glass cleaner and some tinfoil. It worked super well on the front windows, pretty well on the rear side windows and not so great on the back window. Mostly because it was too darn hard to reach near the bottom. Plus the doofuses that put the tint on put it over the 3rd brake light, so I had to spend a half hour figuring out how the hell that came off.

Finally done though, and I have an appointment for new tint at 12.

Whats the censuses for debaging? I want to get rid of the dealer emblem, and maybe the "Cutlass Supreme SL" part on the trunk. Hairdryer?

Cage fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 17, 2010

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Cage posted:

Yeah, the tint shop recommended just a regular glass cleaner and some tinfoil. It worked super well on the front windows, pretty well on the rear side windows and not so great on the back window. Mostly because it was too darn hard to reach near the bottom. Plus the doofuses that put the tint on put it over the 3rd brake light, so I had to spend a half hour figuring out how the hell that came off.

Finally done though, and I have an appointment for new tint at 12.

Whats the censuses for debaging? I want to get rid of the dealer emblem, and maybe the "Cutlass Supreme SL" part on the trunk. Hairdryer?

That and some dental floss.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cage posted:

Ive been removing the tint, since when I bought it it was already bubbling and turned purple. Shops want $129 for new tint, but they want almost the same to take it off, so I just decided to take it off myself. Its a bitch, but gently caress paying $125 for them to do it.

Ill try to take a middle, and after pic tomorrow.

I never thought I'd say this about that car, but I think your car looks good.

Jesus whats happening to me. Must be the cleanliness and the contrast between it and all the rusted out ones around here...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I bought a 2010 370Z, and I live on a mountain in Vermont and race dirtbikes. SOOOO I bought this:

1997 Montero LS gently caress yeah. It has the CEL light on which I need to figure out. Today I changed the oil and cleaned the hell out of the interior.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dyno day. Pulled 139/135 on a motor rated for 168/163. Plus, dyno runs are just plain awesome! I'll get my sheet up in a bit.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Beach Bum posted:

Dyno day. Pulled 139/135 on a motor rated for 168/163. Plus, dyno runs are just plain awesome! I'll get my sheet up in a bit.

What kind of car?

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I broke the fuel line! YAAAYY my whole right arm smells like old gasoline

At least I know the fuel issues I'm having are after the fuel filter. Gonna do a temporary fix with some high pressure rubber fuel line so I can find out where exactly I am having my fuel delivery issues.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I tried to fix the leak in the AC system in my 1999 Cherokee. I got the accumulator and the suction and discharge line off the truck, but the liquid line is stuck because the spring lock connector that holds the liquid line onto the condensor won't come loose. I bought two different sets of spring lock tools; one aluminum and one plastic. I got two other spring lock connectors loose but this one won't budge.

Any tips on getting sticky spring lock couplings to come apart? I was killing myself in the heat in the garage trying to break the thing loose.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Bojanglesworth posted:

What kind of car?

Beach Bum posted:

Dyno'd the 325iS today. Made 139/135. Fairly respectable for a 21 year old motor rated for 168/163 at the flywheel.

Checked his post history. ;)

\/\/\/ Not complaining, just did the research for you. :tinfoil:

Sockington fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jul 18, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Sockington posted:

Checked his post history. ;)

Yeah, I guess I could've done that, but being a detective is a lot harder than him just posting the pertinent information in a post.

ssh
Dec 9, 2001

by elpintogrande
Took 'em both out for the Sunday drive. :haw:

The "old new one" went up to Lake Davis and back for a gas up and detail.

Took the "new old one" up Mt. Rose, and back down again significantly faster than any sane person would.

By the time I got home, both were sitting right at 30.0 again. :tinfoil:

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.
Took it to a track :D

First time ever. Had a blast.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I got my first taste of the joy of owning a black car, doing a wash/clean/wax to my new used 330Ci. So much buffing. I had one set of power buffer pads which was one too few, next time I'll have more on hand and it'll be a breeze. Next step is to pull the chrome window trim off and restore it with some Gord's - apparently every e46 ends up with this fogging up and a lot of people either black vinyl-wrap it or paint it. I'd like to see it shine properly instead.

VA has a front license plate law but I've decided to see how long it takes them to fine me for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 18, 2010

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheScott2K posted:

VA has a front license plate law but I've decided to see how long it takes them to fine me for it.

Missouri wants a front plate too, but I've had a plate and factory-sealed mounting kit under my passenger seat for over two years.

Sticking a plate on the dash is the tackiest thing ever, and apparently you can still get a ticket for "improper display" in some places.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

eddiewalker posted:

Missouri wants a front plate too, but I've had a plate and factory-sealed mounting kit under my passenger seat for over two years.

Sticking a plate on the dash is the tackiest thing ever, and apparently you can still get a ticket for "improper display" in some places.

If you're referring to the rectangle on under the windshield on the driver's side, that's actually a parking pass for the city-owned lot near my job.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

TheScott2K posted:

If you're referring to the rectangle on under the windshield on the driver's side, that's actually a parking pass for the city-owned lot near my job.

Nope. Just saying if it's not legal either way, I'm leaving it under the seat.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

10000lbsofbananas posted:

Took it to a track :D

First time ever. Had a blast.

Who were you running with that didnt require helmets?

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

South Dakota is the same way, ended up getting arrested after being pulled over for the front plate (90 honduh civic, plate fell off not trying to be ricer)

Replaced the control arm stays on the 90 volvo 740 today, both front tires would shift back and forth about 2 inches on bumps, stops or anything really. Hell you could grab it and shake the tire easily. The old bushings were approx 1/4 the thickness they should be. Car rides a bit better, now just need to do the timing belt and brakes.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
#1 Son's truck:

New upper ball joint and reman caliper (don't worry, there's a jackstand under the truck out-of-frame).

Routine maintenance using the cheapest poo poo Autozone has to offer.

Fighting with the fuel filter knocked all the scale off the fuel line, now it's pinhole city. :sigh:

Fatty_McLumpkin
Sep 30, 2002

Oh I loooove going to the mooon ahaha ahhhahaaa

TheScott2K posted:

I got my first taste of the joy of owning a black car, doing a wash/clean/wax to my new used 330Ci. So much buffing. I had one set of power buffer pads which was one too few, next time I'll have more on hand and it'll be a breeze. Next step is to pull the chrome window trim off and restore it with some Gord's - apparently every e46 ends up with this fogging up and a lot of people either black vinyl-wrap it or paint it. I'd like to see it shine properly instead.

http://vimeo.com/10853948

Fast forward to 01:35 for your solution.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

:drat:

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
New A/C compressor and r134.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Is there a name for that style of editing, where it kinda snaps to a shot? I have seen it a bunch in car videos.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExtremeODD posted:

South Dakota is the same way, ended up getting arrested after being pulled over for the front plate (90 honduh civic, plate fell off not trying to be ricer)

South Dakota is where I got pulled over because of not having a front plate. Nevermind I'm from a state that doesn't require one. Bastard was a complete rear end in a top hat about the whole thing, had the ticket all ready when he finally got to my window.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

Here's a link to that particular motorized plate mount. I had the non-motorized version on my car for a while, but since I'm lowered, it kept getting smashed on driveways and other angled entries. I ended up taking it off and chucking it in the trash. It was completely mangled.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bojanglesworth posted:

Is there a name for that style of editing, where it kinda snaps to a shot? I have seen it a bunch in car videos.

Snaps? You mean where there's no screen transition? That's the most basic way to switch shots.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Snaps? You mean where there's no screen transition? That's the most basic way to switch shots.

I don't know, thats why I asked. When he is jumping from car to car at one point it speeds up and kinda turns at each car. Its clear that its one continuous shot that is edited that way, not two different shots.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump in my fiancee's 2004 Toyota Echo. It's not nearly as hard of a job as I had assumed it would be. There was a really loud groaning/grinding sound coming from the left side of the engine. I was poking around and found that the water pump pulley could wiggle around almost 10mm from center. I'll assume that the bearing is shot, and that's probably the sound. I'd never done a water pump before, and the words water pump made me a bit uneasy, but we haven't got the cash to take it to a shop right now.

I have the old pump unbolted, and ready to pull out, but unfortunately the engine and frame are too close together to wiggle it out. So I guess from what I've read is that I have to unbolt the motor mounts with the engine jacked up so I can push it off to the side like 5mm to get the pump out.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'm quite a bit afraid of something screwing up at this point now. Up to here, everything's been some simple bolts.

Anyone have any tips for jacking up the engine? Are there any precautions I should be aware of?

10000lbsofbananas
Jan 3, 2005

Not for consumption.

kill me now posted:

Who were you running with that didnt require helmets?

Went with the rx8 club to the Shannonville Fabi track. Helmets were optional.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

I'm in the middle of replacing the water pump in my fiancee's 2004 Toyota Echo. It's not nearly as hard of a job as I had assumed it would be. There was a really loud groaning/grinding sound coming from the left side of the engine. I was poking around and found that the water pump pulley could wiggle around almost 10mm from center. I'll assume that the bearing is shot, and that's probably the sound. I'd never done a water pump before, and the words water pump made me a bit uneasy, but we haven't got the cash to take it to a shop right now.

I have the old pump unbolted, and ready to pull out, but unfortunately the engine and frame are too close together to wiggle it out. So I guess from what I've read is that I have to unbolt the motor mounts with the engine jacked up so I can push it off to the side like 5mm to get the pump out.

Hopefully everything goes smoothly. I'm quite a bit afraid of something screwing up at this point now. Up to here, everything's been some simple bolts.

Anyone have any tips for jacking up the engine? Are there any precautions I should be aware of?

Don't crush the oil pan with your jack. If you can't find anything more solid to lift against, use a sturdy piece of wood to spread the load. Hopefully you're trying to lift it past an obstacle, not move the entire engine etc left or right, because the halfshafts will probably make that close to impossible.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Dropped my MR2 off at the body shop to get the fender fixed after some dumb bitch crashed into me. I'm nervous about other people touching my car.

My free rental is a dodge avenger; bleh.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Don't crush the oil pan with your jack. If you can't find anything more solid to lift against, use a sturdy piece of wood to spread the load. Hopefully you're trying to lift it past an obstacle, not move the entire engine etc left or right, because the halfshafts will probably make that close to impossible.

I'm going off what someone on here (http://www.echodrivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=179449) that says:

some guy posted:

Put a jack under the transmission where the engine block and transmission meat and undo the two front motor mounts. That should allow you to move the motor over enough to get the pump out without have to pry it out.

Hopefully that'll let me wiggle it out. It is seriously like 3-5mm away from sliding out. I don't want to grind off part of it like some other guy in that thread did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

...where the engine block and transmission meat and undo the...

Be careful taking advice from someone that can't differentiate the mating of two component parts from tasty animal flesh.