Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

KillHour posted:

Run to the terminal and turn the turret against him?

Not possible with 0 computers skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AXE COP posted:

nsf001
smashthestate

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

AXE COP posted:

I think you can do it if you have the username/password, though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

KillHour posted:

nsf001
smashthestate

I'm sad that I have that memorized. That and 0451 and satcom, unatco_001 (I do wonder whatever came out of that darts game)

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I have Alex Jacobson's cupboard (2001) burned into my memory, as well as most of UNATCO employees' login/password combos.

I never found the 'false floor' in his office, though. Or had JoJo turn up at the 'Ton while I've been there. Hey, at least I found DeBeers and Morpheus on my first playthrough.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm sad that I have that memorized. That and 0451 and satcom, unatco_001 (I do wonder whatever came out of that darts game)

They never played it. I killed them while escaping from UNATCO. :colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Hey dudes I found this in a box of my old stuff at my parents' house, you think I should play it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I assum on a no items run he was still using the TNT crates as as grenades... if he wasn't...

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx
Apr 30, 2010

by Ozma

TheScott2K posted:

Hey dudes I found this in a box of my old stuff at my parents' house, you think I should play it?

No, it sucks

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
so I walked into the women's restroom and get scolded by some secretary lady in there.

ten minutes later I'm talking to Manderly about Ambrosia and he mentions that I shouldn't go in the women's restroom

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

I assum on a no items run he was still using the TNT crates as as grenades... if he wasn't...

he sure was and it involved carrying some crates tediously over long distances
he kills howard strong by falling on him i remember that part

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

xX_WEED_GOKU_Xx posted:

No, it sucks

Good, so burning the box with the game inside it is

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Good, so burning the box with the game inside it is

Post pictures, and then hit yourself for destroying the best game ever made.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

KillHour posted:

Post pictures, and then hit yourself for destroying the best game ever made.

The only copy left in existence, too. What a shame.

Just finished another playthrough, my first in at least a couple years. Nearly all pistol except for some sniper rifle near the end; cycling between pistol and mini-crossbow was still leaving me pretty low on ammo. I'll probably do heavy weapons the next time through, since I've never really used any of those weapons except the requisite GEP rocket-lockpick. However, after once again suffering through picking up a million knives, I almost want to do a knife-only run.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

fleshweasel posted:

he sure was and it involved carrying some crates tediously over long distances
he kills howard strong by falling on him i remember that part

Only three TNT crates over long distances, really (super freighter scuttling). A no items run will give you an appreciation for both TNT and small crates.

And actually, I couldn't fall on Howard Strong without killing myself. Something to do with Realistic difficulty I guess. I couldn't drop a crate on his head, either. Luckily, Howard carries a LAM and has some silly AI. Reminds me of something Ainsley said about falling on his head as if you discovered his only weakness. "You win this round, Denton." Yes I do.

Chakron fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sourdough Sam posted:

so I walked into the women's restroom and get scolded by some secretary lady in there.

ten minutes later I'm talking to Manderly about Ambrosia and he mentions that I shouldn't go in the women's restroom

Manderly has all sorts of things to say depending on what you do. I killed the UNATCO soldier who comes upstairs after you capture the NSF commander to get his assault rifle, and it went something like

"By the way, do you know what happened to that trooper we sent up to detain the leader?"

"Must have been friendly fire."

"Well we're launching an investigation."

I think he even says something slightly different if you just stun the dude instead of killing him.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

Walton Simons posted:

I have Alex Jacobson's cupboard (2001) burned into my memory, as well as most of UNATCO employees' login/password combos.

I never found the 'false floor' in his office, though. Or had JoJo turn up at the 'Ton while I've been there. Hey, at least I found DeBeers and Morpheus on my first playthrough.

Where do you get the cupboard code? I've had the game since it first came out and played through it probably 10 times and never found the code.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

Manderly has all sorts of things to say depending on what you do. I killed the UNATCO soldier who comes upstairs after you capture the NSF commander to get his assault rifle, and it went something like

"By the way, do you know what happened to that trooper we sent up to detain the leader?"

"Must have been friendly fire."

"Well we're launching an investigation."

I think he even says something slightly different if you just stun the dude instead of killing him.

I always stun that dude. It's your earliest chance to get an assault rifle in the game, I think. Too bad the assault rifle is poo poo when compared to the silenced extended mag sniper one-shot-kill pistol I always end up with halfway through the game.

Poppleganger
Jul 29, 2004
AR$E

Fuzz posted:

This is excellent, except JC would not express surprise and an :O face, he would simply say "What a shame" and face his imminent destruction like a man.

He can't change his expression, can he?

"My expressions are limited."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Iron Prince posted:

I always stun that dude. It's your earliest chance to get an assault rifle in the game, I think. Too bad the assault rifle is poo poo when compared to the silenced extended mag sniper one-shot-kill pistol I always end up with halfway through the game.

Yeah the pistol is pretty reliable through most of the game. Every now and then though I like to switch to the assault rifle. For example against the MJ12 commandos, or for close fighting with large groups where it's too hectic to reliably get headshots.

It's almost kind of pointless to get the assault rifle that early; it only has 1 bullet in it and by the time you start finding ammo for it you start finding the actual guns on bodies as well. I think you can pick it up as early as hell's kitchen, and you certainly won't need it before then. I do like to have it for inventory management purposes though; I like to pick it up early when I have lots of room and then build the rest of my inventory around it. It's a small thing, but it helps.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Poppleganger posted:

He can't change his expression, can he?

"My expressions are limited."

No, he's just apathetic.

"My apathy is augmented."

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My favourite moment so far was just lucking into a two-digit lock code. "Wow, this one only needs two digits? Eh, may as well take a stab at it. ...Hooray!"

To be fair, the code was 12, so I could probably have guessed it anyway given a moment's thought. For a second it was nice to have Luck Virus on my finger, though.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah the pistol is pretty reliable through most of the game. Every now and then though I like to switch to the assault rifle. For example against the MJ12 commandos, or for close fighting with large groups where it's too hectic to reliably get headshots.

On my last playthrough I got to the Versalife UC walking through the front door and I just waded through the commandos using my pistol like Clint Eastwood at the beginning of Dirty Harry. The normal pistol is pretty much the best weapon.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Leovinus posted:

My favourite moment so far was just lucking into a two-digit lock code. "Wow, this one only needs two digits? Eh, may as well take a stab at it. ...Hooray!"

To be fair, the code was 12, so I could probably have guessed it anyway given a moment's thought. For a second it was nice to have Luck Virus on my finger, though.
Then there are those three augmentation canisters and one upgrade canister near the UC... "Well, I REALLY want these, and it's not like there's anyone else here, so let's start with 00 and... oh."

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

On my last playthrough I got to the Versalife UC walking through the front door and I just waded through the commandos using my pistol like Clint Eastwood at the beginning of Dirty Harry. The normal pistol is pretty much the best weapon.

It's certainly the most versatile at least, yeah. Though I do like to hang on to an assault shotgun loaded with sabot rounds for those drat tiny spider bots. The GEP gun works too of course but it just feels like overkill sometimes. Plus they sometimes sneak up on me and get too close.

That's one of the many things I dislike about Invisible war, they made a lot more bot enemies. Shooting bots kind of sucks.

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me
I found something cool the other day in Versalife. I ran into a named NPC in the Versalife offices named Sarah Savage, she didn't have dialogue other than "I can't talk to visitors". After I cleared the MJ12 building out, I ran another sweep of Versalife, and when I got to her floor she turned hostile and shot at me. I was quite close to her when this happened so it would have been an embarassing death had she killed me. After she was dead I hacked her computer, turns out she was an undercover MJ12 agent on the lookout for traitors in the midst. Such a small detail that really gave some life to what I thought was a pretty straightforward area.

Mathemagician
Aug 21, 2003

tell me some more
I believe you mean Sarah Stern but it's been a while since my last playthrough. That would be funny if it was Gary Savage's other, evil-er daughter though.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
nevermind

Christoph fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 19, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Leovinus posted:

*is in Majestic 12 area*
*needs 2-digit code*
*tries 12*
"Eureka!"
:)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

KillHour posted:

nsf001
smashthestate

:doh: Of course you can!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Stump Truck posted:

Where do you get the cupboard code? I've had the game since it first came out and played through it probably 10 times and never found the code.

I can't remember, sorry. I think around my second playthrough I found the code and made the connection that 2001 is a classic sci-fi film and I wouldn't put it past Jacobson to have it as his code for that reason.

Possibly if you hack his or Manderley's emails? I think there is a datacube hidden on or around his desk too.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

KillHour posted:

nsf001
smashthestate

"Fanks for getting me in."

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Walton Simons posted:

I can't remember, sorry. I think around my second playthrough I found the code and made the connection that 2001 is a classic sci-fi film and I wouldn't put it past Jacobson to have it as his code for that reason.

Possibly if you hack his or Manderley's emails? I think there is a datacube hidden on or around his desk too.

It's in his e-mail, but at that point in the game I think you have to hack it since there aren't clues lying around to indicate his login/password like there are for some of the other characters. You have to do it on your first visit, too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CaptainRat posted:

It's in his e-mail, but at that point in the game I think you have to hack it since there aren't clues lying around to indicate his login/password like there are for some of the other characters. You have to do it on your first visit, too.

There is a clue, but it's really subtle, it's written on a poster in Jacobson's office.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Walton Simons posted:

AJ has a false floor in his office?!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Grey Fox V2 posted:

AJ has a false floor in his office?!

Yes. It's where the person who's been stealing from the supply cabinet by the helipad stashes their loot.

e; could've sworn it was her. Oh well, it's been a while since I played DX.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 19, 2010

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

There's no need to spoiler a name if you got the name wrong.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Where is the false floor in Alex's office? I've been playing this game since 2001 and never been able to find it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

Where is the false floor in Alex's office? I've been playing this game since 2001 and never been able to find it.

Ought to be near the first long desk you can find. Just hover the floor around it randomly and semi close and you should find it eventually. Also I think there might be two entrances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
There are two panels, in the floor near the wall on the right as you walk in. I want to say that they're roughly across from the closet door.