Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah I mean, up until that point I never had a problem with expensive yarn because I figured expensive = more better than. That was the first time I ever though "Oh gently caress that poo poo" wrt knitting. I mean loving come ON.

I did make the boots, just left out the goddamn fur part. They are quite comfy, although I agree - I would not call them 'attractive'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
if I'm going to spend $30 on a skein of something its going to be like 400 yards of pretty cashmere or silk or seasilk or...not 17 yards of that

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

17 yards is loving criminal.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Look Under The Rock posted:

I want to knit a sweater for myself, but I have a small waist and enormous boobs and I am not confident in my abilities to make something fitted. I don't want to wear a huge sack either.

I'll just knit for my super-skinny ex or my size-zero mother.

I am fairly confident is saying many kinds of boobs look awesome in this:

linky

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
:( What do you guys do when you buy a book/want a book (or pamphlet) for one pattern? I really want to make the Calla Lily Cowl from Mission Falls Goes Crochet, but it's $15 and I really don't like any other pattern in it...

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Wedemeyer posted:

I am fairly confident is saying many kinds of boobs look awesome in this:

linky
I don't know what kind of build you have and this isn't against you at all. But after you reach certain proportions, I think that top says "GUYS LOOK AT MY HUGE BOOBS! WERE THEY NOT OBVIOUS ENOUGH ALREADY DUE TO BEING HUGE? WELL ANYWAY HERE THEY ARE!! BOOBS! HUGE! HERE!!" and that's rarely very flattering.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't know what kind of build you have and this isn't against you at all. But after you reach certain proportions, I think that top says "GUYS LOOK AT MY HUGE BOOBS! WERE THEY NOT OBVIOUS ENOUGH ALREADY DUE TO BEING HUGE? WELL ANYWAY HERE THEY ARE!! BOOBS! HUGE! HERE!!" and that's rarely very flattering.

That happens to me with t-shirts.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
My boobs are just the right size for that, but my hip/waist ratio (or lack thereof) would probably just make that thing make me look fat. And I'm a size 4. :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

That happens to me with t-shirts.
No no, T-shirts just do the statement of fact: "MY BREASTS ARE HUGE!" That top is intentionally making them look bigger and calling more attention to them, which after a certain size is probably not going to come off well.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm okay with a shirt screaming MY BREASTS ARE HUGE as long as it also says I HAVE A SMALL WAIST AND REAL HIPS.

Everything makes my boobs look huge. They are. :sigh:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

:( What do you guys do when you buy a book/want a book (or pamphlet) for one pattern? I really want to make the Calla Lily Cowl from Mission Falls Goes Crochet, but it's $15 and I really don't like any other pattern in it...

You take a picture of the pattern with your cell phone while no one in the bookstore/yarn store is looking. :ninja:

Beyond that I think you're stuck actually spending money.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

See if your library has it, or learn a bunch of mnemonic devices and memorize it next time you're in the store.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Jeebs, a whole page of posts happened at some point.

To keep up:

My boyfriend doesn't get a sweater until he proves he can handle socks. (Meaning not losing/felting them)

And, as one who sells yarn that she spins (SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTION: http://www.etsy.com/shop/algernonrex -- more handspun to come soon!) I wouldn't sell 17 yards of anything unless it was at $2 and pretty drat incredible.

Seriously. 17 YARDS? What the gently caress were they thinking.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
And yet, people still bought it!

People with more money than sense, but it was sold all the same.

That Procrastination Pullover is lovely, and so cheap! Too bad I am too busty, have too much shoulder, and no hips, it would look awful on me. Stupid body structure... :sigh:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Wandering Knitter posted:

You take a picture of the pattern with your cell phone while no one in the bookstore/yarn store is looking. :ninja:

Beyond that I think you're stuck actually spending money.

Maybe I'm a shameless thief but I xerox that poo poo right in the library. I paid the library fee (this is at school) and I figure that's good enough.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Sex Hobbit posted:

Maybe I'm a shameless thief but I xerox that poo poo right in the library. I paid the library fee (this is at school) and I figure that's good enough.

I do that to. Well, did that. During the course of one summer I xeroxed every pattern worth having in the library.

To be fair, my library has a terrible selection of knitting books so I've never gone back. Also I still owe like $20 so screw that noise.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Well, it's a pamphlet, so I'm not sure my library would have it...

Maybe my boss will let me photocopy it during lunch break :ninja:

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

Amykinz, I can't get enough of your lacework, so gossamer and pretty like an artist spiderlady made it...

Holy cow, that's the best compliment I've ever gotten about my knitting, now I feel all dainty and poo poo.

thanks!

(as soon as I get one, I'll post a pic of the veil being worn)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

We all know the rules about knitting sweaters for significant others. You are your own harbinger of doom!

Well see my LAST boyfriend did wear his jumper an awful lot because when you're incredibly depressed you have to dress like a slob... it's like the "I live off sick benefits" rule or something.
He did actually look after it and was pretty excited when I was making it so I think it was a good thing in the end.

And what if you knitted your boyfriend something before you were really committed to a relationship? Because I made him a scarf last year in Hawaii when I was still in the angry "I'm not your girlfriend!" stage. WHAT IS THE RULE THEN, HUH?

quote:

I haven't even made a sweater for myself yet, I've just had warnings yelled at me by every resource I've seen.

I never make anything for myself because I don't deserve nice things. Everything good I've ever knit and most of my sewing has been given away. The only things I've kept are my amigurumi hermit crab and a giant crochet blanket that only gets used twice a year because I worry so much about ruining it with mac and cheese or bodily fluids or something (I am a very messy person)
That and I am terrible with fashion and would hate anything I made for myself anyway. I don't really wear knitwear outside of the odd uni qlo cotton cardigan because I'm 158cm (5ft2) and 54kg (120 pounds) so most knitwear smothers me and makes me look like a walking rug.

And Wandering Knitter, I really want to make things to sell but I don't know if it would be worth it. Etsy seems very crowded with sellers!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Shnooks posted:

If your local library (or university library if you're in school) has interlibrary loan, I do that. I then copy it for myself, and then send it back. That's how I got the pattern for the Phoenix Cardigan. Lovely colourwork in that book, but I didn't want anything but one pattern.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

I don't really wear knitwear outside of the odd uni qlo cotton cardigan because I'm 158cm (5ft2) and 54kg (120 pounds) so most knitwear smothers me and makes me look like a walking rug.
Wait what? Tiny girls look amazing in knitwear. Every day I wish I could pull off the Twinkle (Wenlan Chia) "I'm so tiny I'm drowning in this great big chunky piece" look. Sadly it doesn't come across the same way on 5'9" clydesdales.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

madlilnerd posted:

Well see my LAST boyfriend did wear his jumper an awful lot because when you're incredibly depressed you have to dress like a slob... it's like the "I live off sick benefits" rule or something.
He did actually look after it and was pretty excited when I was making it so I think it was a good thing in the end.

And what if you knitted your boyfriend something before you were really committed to a relationship? Because I made him a scarf last year in Hawaii when I was still in the angry "I'm not your girlfriend!" stage. WHAT IS THE RULE THEN, HUH?

Scarves don't count. The rule only applies to sweaters. SWEATERS, WOMAN.

Also complaining about being small and thin. :mad: You jerk.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Yeah! We HATE YOU! or whatever...
My mother asked me when I was going to make myself a real sweater instead of a shrug. I can only afford that much yarn, goddamn it! I wish I was little, I could afford to knit myself a whole sweater.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

And Wandering Knitter, I really want to make things to sell but I don't know if it would be worth it. Etsy seems very crowded with sellers!

Then you might want to look into craft fairs in your area. :eng101: I have a major one that I go to and I split the area with 2-3 other local artists.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Scarves don't count. The rule only applies to sweaters. SWEATERS, WOMAN.

But but I'm not even a good shape for my height, I have a massive chubby face and look like a 12 year old most of the time :( Believe me, it's horribly hard work trying to stay thin at this height, my RMR is like 1000 calories so I basically live off a combination of salad and ice cream at a 75:25 ratio.

I think there's a place near me that does craft fairs, but I'll have to look into it. People in my town are incredibly stingy and don't really seem like the handmade crowd.

And pfft, everyone can afford to make themselves a sweater if they're cheap like me and choose a mainly acrylic yarn- an 80/20 mix with wool is usually still pretty nice. The stuff I used was £2.31 a ball, bringing the grand total of that knit, with pattern, to £16 (around $20).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

madlilnerd posted:

And pfft, everyone can afford to make themselves a sweater if they're cheap like me and choose a mainly acrylic yarn- an 80/20 mix with wool is usually still pretty nice. The stuff I used was £2.31 a ball, bringing the grand total of that knit, with pattern, to £16 (around $20).

I've actually just cast on a short-sleeved summer cardigan for myself out of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton, so that's good and cheap. I think it was on sale, so it's about $7.50 for the 340g skein. I think I should be able to get it all done with one, possibly one and a half of them and then I guess I'll make market bags and washcloths for Christmas presents with the rest. Yay! A whole sweater for less than $15.00!

I'm so lusting after the Kirra from Berrocco #294 for Origami yarn...but it requires like 14 balls or some poo poo, and Origami is $8.00 each. I currently have one ball that I bought from the orphan basket at my LYS because it was 40% off and I HAD to have it. Damnit, I can't afford $112 for make a damned sweater!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I posted some crappy yarn in the yarn swap thread. Please help me get rid of it :(

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Shnooks posted:

I posted some crappy yarn in the yarn swap thread. Please help me get rid of it :(

And I posted a whole bunch too! :v:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
OK knitting goons, I have a question. I got this kit from KnitPicks, and it's made with two strands of laceweight held double, so that you can two strands of the same color and switch colors around to make color gradations but... I don't have a yarn scale to divide up the yarn into two cakes and am just generally not sure the best way to do two strands from the same ball. I have a ballwinder and swift and just generally love those little center pull cakes they make... would pulling from the outside as well as the inside create a huge mess? I don't want to start a method and then have it tangle on me... it's laceweight merino. :ohdear:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

That's so pretty, I totally want to make one.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

That's so pretty, I totally want to make one.

Yeah, I saw that right after getting my first bonus as a GM, and for $23 could not resist.

It's all of my 2nd foray into lace, and the first was a total failure... I was doing lace for the first time with midnight blue yarn, not a great idea! Once I figure out how to knit with two strands from the same ball without them tangling all over the place I'm off! :)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Phishi posted:

OK knitting goons, I have a question. I got this kit from KnitPicks, and it's made with two strands of laceweight held double, so that you can two strands of the same color and switch colors around to make color gradations but... I don't have a yarn scale to divide up the yarn into two cakes and am just generally not sure the best way to do two strands from the same ball. I have a ballwinder and swift and just generally love those little center pull cakes they make... would pulling from the outside as well as the inside create a huge mess? I don't want to start a method and then have it tangle on me... it's laceweight merino. :ohdear:
I think it would make a tangled mess, or at least that's likely enough I wouldn't want to risk it. You can't find anyone else with a little scale? It doesn't have to be yarn-specific or anything -- I use a food scale I got at Target for all of $20 a couple years ago.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Phishi posted:

I have rewound a number of balls of yarn by hand, and have no problems pulling from the outside and inside AS LONG AS you twist the balls you're creating as you unwind the original ball in order to prevent twisting (and therefore knotting). I would be extra careful with laceweight, but you should be able to do it. :)

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

I think it would make a tangled mess, or at least that's likely enough I wouldn't want to risk it. You can't find anyone else with a little scale? It doesn't have to be yarn-specific or anything -- I use a food scale I got at Target for all of $20 a couple years ago.

That's definitely doable, but I'm also kind of confused as to how to go about measuring it... like, when you think you're getting close, do you take the yarn off the swift to measure how much is left? Knowing me, that's an accident waiting to happen....

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I would, yeah. I would just be careful to twist it back up as you take it off the swift. (Actually there's a pretty good chance I'd be lazy enough to be doing it from the back of a chair to start with.)

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
The way I do it is hold the ball with the strand that's coming from the inside DOWN.
I literally took the yarn cake and clamped it between my knees so it would stay in that position.

If you have the 'center pull' strand side facing UP the other strand will loop around it every time you pull on it and make you want to rip your own face off.

Phishi
May 13, 2006

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

The way I do it is hold the ball with the strand that's coming from the inside DOWN.
I literally took the yarn cake and clamped it between my knees so it would stay in that position.

If you have the 'center pull' strand side facing UP the other strand will loop around it every time you pull on it and make you want to rip your own face off.

So if the center pull string is coming from the bottom of the ball... genius! A hassle, sure, but it's not like I'm gonna be speed-knitting on lace! And way easier than trying to divide it into differently sized cakes.

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Now that his birthday has passed, I can post the pillows I made for my brother:

Click here for the full 700x555 image.

And here are the backs, I wanted them to look a little more normal just to mitigate their sheer nerdiness.

Click here for the full 700x525 image.

Even though I don't plan on knitting these again, I'm still thinking of better ways I could've done it. All in one piece, for example. And with a little flap on one side so you could take the pillow out and wash it. And done with smaller needles so that the fronts don't end up larger than the pillow forms, so that you then have to knit the backs smaller just to make it look kinda normal, which means that the seaming is gonna come out wonky, but that's ok because he doesn't knit so he won't notice anyway, even though you'll always notice whenever you go to his apartment and you'll probably end up making newer, better ones (knit in one piece with flaps on the side) and switching them out when he's not looking.

But he liked them, so whatever. v:shobon:v

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

I WANT A PATTERN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I WANT A PATTERN

All I have is a chart. If you want, I can make up a pattern for it.