Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Jake's impression of his dad is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
I turn on my TV to watch this only to learn that all of my channels work except for Discovery, god damnit I need to see Phil one last time ;(

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BonoMan posted:

I thought they handled the end very well. They could've made it into a very heavy drama fest because you know they had footage, but they played it classy.

They kind of went from Phil recovering spectacularly to Phil being kind of out of it and after that just Josh calling Jake in rehab and telling him Phil died.

The whole thing was handled pretty well, and it seems like what we did see of Phil was because he wanted it seen. I might be a huge pussy but it really tears me up. Phil was the voice of reason among these guys and it just sounds like the guy had a ton of stress but had no way of handling it.

I do the same thing with my foot too, gently caress.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
Who is that other guy we keep seeing in Phil's hospital room?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fire Storm posted:

Who is that other guy we keep seeing in Phil's hospital room?

Owner of the boat I think.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Anyone else notice Hilstrand slam the hell out of Phil's motorcycle into a fire hydrant doing donuts at the end of After the Catch? The motorcycle Phil's kids are going to try to sell and give the proceeds to cancer charities? Good move, dick...

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
This was a really really hard episode to watch. My dad is the same age as Phil and has had heart problems and smokes like a fish. Ugh. The stuff with Jake and Josh was as real as this show has ever been, I didn't sense one thing that came off as scripted at all. I feel bad for them. I just hope they have other family and friends that are standing behind them. Josh I think will be okay, but Jake... I don't know. The way Jake was breaking down when he was arguing with Josh in the hotel room was a real tear jerker.

It really seems like they're going to take the show in a completely different direction next year, and move the spotlight onto other boats. Cornelia Marie is definitely out without Phil, and the way they've been going, I don't think that the Time Bandit will be much longer for this world if Jonathan and Andy really retire, and the Northwestern without Edgar seems like a big downgrade.

The Wizard will keep going strong which is terrible since Keith is by far the worst captain on this show.

Re-runs :unsmith:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Birdhouses. :3:

Next week is gonna be rough. :ohdear:

leppo
Jul 12, 2003

IRQ posted:

Owner of the boat I think.
Not unless his name is Cornelia Marie.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the deal with the boat since Phil has died? Who owns it? I heard somewhere that all of the boats on the show are under the same parent company?

I don't want to bring politics into the thread, but conservatives are hijacking this saying that the family/boat would have gone out of business due to the inheritance tax if it wasn't suspended this year. Which is complete bullshit anyway, but I'm just wondering what is the boat's situation.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

FogHelmut posted:

What's the deal with the boat since Phil has died? Who owns it? I heard somewhere that all of the boats on the show are under the same parent company?

I don't want to bring politics into the thread, but conservatives are hijacking this saying that the family/boat would have gone out of business due to the inheritance tax if it wasn't suspended this year. Which is complete bullshit anyway, but I'm just wondering what is the boat's situation.

The boat is co-owned by the Harris family (originally Phil, now Jake and Josh), and the actual Cornelia Marie. There is an article on the website for the boat (http://www.corneliamarie.com/featured/the-future-of-the-cornelia-marie/), which was posted shortly after Phil's death, and tries to explain some of these things.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

I saw a similar history writeup in an article I read after his death, but the Wikipedia entry on the boat had this to say.

quote:

The Cornelia Marie was built in 1989 in Alabama on commission from original owner Ralph Collins; she was one of the last boats built by Horton Boats. Named after Ralph's wife, co-owner Cornelia Marie Collins, she is 128 feet (39 m) long, 28 feet (8.5 m) wide, and carries 28,500 U.S. gallons (23,700 imp gal; 108,000 L) of fuel and 3,000 U.S. gallons (2,500 imp gal; 11,000 L) of fresh water.[1][2] The Cornelia Marie fishes for King, Tanner, and Opilio crab, and also does Salmon and Herring tendering. She features an aquamarine and white paint scheme with yellow banners bearing the ship's name.

Ralph and Cornelia Marie divorced, and Cornelia Marie took ownership of the boat. She eventually sold partial share to captain Phil Harris. His share is currently in possession of his estate.

fog licker
Dec 3, 2005

I'm half-machine!
To add to the above, Josh Harris was recently interviewed by Entertainment Weekly and the boat was brought up as well

quote:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You said on The Tonight Show that you are trying to raise millions of dollars so you and your brother can buy the other half of the Cornelia Marie. Have you set up some sort of fund in Phil’s name? Fans may want to help out.

JOSH HARRIS: Not yet. I really don’t know how to go about this stuff, and I really don’t want to depend on our fans to help us. I’m hard-headed. I’m trying to figure all of this out. I want to be able to do it on my own. My old man got the boat on his own. I’m just going to check out a couple of avenues and if that doesn’t work, we’ll go a different route. The last thing I want to do is beg for help from complete, utter strangers.

Full interview here: http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2010/07/13/josh-harris-deadliest-catch/

fog licker fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 14, 2010

StopMakingSense
Sep 16, 2004
Sax and Violins
Gotta say, I thought the way they presented the end of the episode was very nice. The boats crashing through the giant waves and the crews half terrified and thrilled I think was a really wonderful counterpoint to the finality of Phil's death.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This Man Woman Wild thing,

I don't know.

They guy and his wife are really annoying. But I like how nothing is perfect like on those other shows. They can't start a fire. The snake has parasites. He's lovely at butchering the snake.

They have the most massive knives out of any survival show, and build the most elaborate shelter. They seem to have tons of time to build things - but then they're not really hiking all day.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
The inner child in me just cant laugh at his name. Mike Hunt. I only watched the first half of the show but his voice just sounds like a caricature of some crusty drill instructor and his wife crying over the turtle was great. I particularly like his comment when that lemur or whatever was in their tree fort. "He comes any closer im gonna whack him" As he holds that big gently caress off machete.

CycleGeek
Apr 30, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

This Man Woman Wild thing,

I don't know.

They guy and his wife are really annoying. But I like how nothing is perfect like on those other shows. They can't start a fire. The snake has parasites. He's lovely at butchering the snake.

They have the most massive knives out of any survival show, and build the most elaborate shelter. They seem to have tons of time to build things - but then they're not really hiking all day.

The snake's worms are kind of nightmare fuel for me. I'm hoping that I am never forced to eat anything like that ever.

Did anyone notice that the woman seemed reluctant as heck to wear her gloves? If I was in someplace as hot and steamy as that I'd be super-vigilant about not ever letting my hands get cut. Presumably her husband thought "Well, we're only going to be here three days... antibiotics will take care of any infection once we get out of here."

The golock was awesome. I dig it. You can really see how Survivorman and Bear Grylls were hampered in their jungle trips by not having one. I see that Myke was able to put together an awesome shelter in what looked like 2-3 hours by harnessing the power of his huge knife.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
The Meatman episode of Mythbusters was on the other night.

I'm stunned Discover chose to show that in full. That was horrifying.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Strange Matter posted:

I saw the "Dumpster Diving" episode coming up on my DVR and almost didn't record it because I remembered the dumpster things being kinda dull, but I vaguely remembered the Build Team had a good myth. That might have been the best myth that the Build Team has ever done.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I don't really post here, but my professor Charlie Hall is going to be on this Powering the Future show. He's a pretty "wacky" guy, I recommend him.

Guy Compton
Mar 29, 2007

Strange Matter posted:

Now only if they combined Meat Man with Neck Man in one episode...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

I loved how even Tory was kind of sickened by it.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Strange Matter posted:

Well they do have standards.... We know they don't do cannibalism.*
*Yes. An episode of Mythbusters inadvertently involved cannibalism. Who knew mice would eat other mice?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

MadScientistWorking posted:

Well they do have standards.... We know they don't do cannibalism.*
*Yes. An episode of Mythbusters inadvertently involved cannibalism. Who knew mice would eat other mice?

Thanks to Discovery, though, that episode will NEVER see the light of day.

Monsignor Martinez
Feb 12, 2010

by Peatpot
The diving helmet myth was too righteously astounding to be grotesque!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

TL posted:

Thanks to Discovery, though, that episode will NEVER see the light of day.
Heheheh.... Says who though..... They only edited out that section of the experiment The myth was featured on the show. Guess which one?

UP AND ADAM posted:

I don't really post here, but my professor Charlie Hall is going to be on this Powering the Future show. He's a pretty "wacky" guy, I recommend him.
Hey look at that. Nate Lewis is on the show too. I met him once because he gave a talk at my university in the chemistry department. His work is really interesting.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 19, 2010

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Sorry. I idiotically double posted.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Monsignor Martinez posted:

The diving helmet myth was too righteously astounding to be grotesque!
Well that is also true. The fact that it collapsed the helmet itself was mind boggling.

Though I wonder if the overall effect wasn't exaggerated by the fact that Meatman wasn't exactly well built in comparison to the human body.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MadScientistWorking posted:

Heheheh.... Says who though..... They only edited out that section of the experiment The myth was featured on the show. Guess which one?

Hey look at that. Nate Lewis is on the show too. I met him once because he gave a talk at my university in the chemistry department. His work is really interesting.

Mice on the soda cans?

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Strange Matter posted:

Well that is also true. The fact that it collapsed the helmet itself was mind boggling.

Though I wonder if the overall effect wasn't exaggerated by the fact that Meatman wasn't exactly well built in comparison to the human body.

If the diving helmet collapsed? No, it wasn't exaggerated. The myth was specifically about the pressure at 300 feet, which they said was 135 psi. That's about 9.2 atmospheres. Now go look up the Byford Dolphin (unless a text-description of total body horror makes you puke). That was at 9 atmospheres going in the opposite direction.

A change in just 1 or 2 psi (0.07-0.14 atmospheres) in too short a time period can cause an embolism. Nine atmospheres in essentially an instant? Yeah, you're paste.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Does anyone watch River Monsters on Animal Planet? I watched this show a few times recently and it's kind of odd. On the one hand this British guy goes all over the world trying to catch giant river creatures, ranging from huge catfish to stingrays the size of dinner tables. On the other hand the show tends to get really hyperbolic on the actual threat these creatures pose to people. Sometimes it's justified, but others it seems like he's just trying to scare people. It's a mixed bag.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

ApathyGifted posted:

Now go look up the Byford Dolphin (unless a text-description of total body horror makes you puke). That was at 9 atmospheres going in the opposite direction.

A change in just 1 or 2 psi (0.07-0.14 atmospheres) in too short a time period can cause an embolism. Nine atmospheres in essentially an instant? Yeah, you're paste.

quote:

Diver D4 was shot out through the small jammed hatch door opening, and was ripped apart. Subsequent investigation by forensic pathologists determined D4, being exposed to the highest pressure gradient, violently exploded due to the rapid and massive expansion of internal gases. All of his thoracic and abdominal organs, and even his thoracic spine were ejected, as were all of his limbs. Simultaneously, his remains were expelled through the narrow trunk opening left by the jammed chamber door, less than 60 centimeters (24 inches) in diameter. Fragments of his body were found scattered about the rig. One part was even found lying on the rig’s derrick, 10 meters (30 feet) directly above the chambers. His death was most likely instantaneous and painless.
:psyduck: I retract my statement

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Does anyone watch River Monsters on Animal Planet? I watched this show a few times recently and it's kind of odd. On the one hand this British guy goes all over the world trying to catch giant river creatures, ranging from huge catfish to stingrays the size of dinner tables. On the other hand the show tends to get really hyperbolic on the actual threat these creatures pose to people. Sometimes it's justified, but others it seems like he's just trying to scare people. It's a mixed bag.

I tried watching it but the hyperbole and that the dude looks like an old boss whom I hated means I couldn't really get into the show.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

ToastyPotato posted:

Mice on the soda cans?
If I am remembering the Q&A where Adam mentioned the experiment, it was the eating cardboard one.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Fire Storm posted:

If I am remembering the Q&A where Adam mentioned the experiment, it was the eating cardboard one.

That's what I was thinking of too. I don't remember any implied mouse cannibalism in the soda can episode.

Scarecrow411
Nov 14, 2004

FREE FUNSTER

FlamingLiberal posted:

I watch it mostly for the fishing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought it was crazy when he managed to catch a FRESHWATER stingray in Thailand that weighed like 300 pounds, and then while in the net it spontaneously gave birth to two babies, both of which were the size of the normal stingrays I've seen here in Florida :psyduck:

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought it was crazy when he managed to catch a FRESHWATER stingray in Thailand that weighed like 300 pounds, and then while in the net it spontaneously gave birth to two babies, both of which were the size of the normal stingrays I've seen here in Florida :psyduck:

Holy christ, you aren't kidding. I've seen plenty of them at the beach in NC/SC but those are fresh babies and already full grown for what Americans know of them. The mom is the stuff of nightmares.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7QuwVlJgWw

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life

ToastyPotato posted:

Mice on the soda cans?

Adam Savage talking about the cannibal mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angiepants
May 8, 2008