Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
I'm going to have to look around for it when I go home later today because I have no idea where that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
the colour of the floor is a slighly lighter colour where the panels are as well. You can spot it if you're looking.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I found that panel on my most recent playthrough and it blew my loving mind. An in-game explanation for said panel: even more so.

Aesion
Mar 14, 2010

Is the false floor connected to that brick in the wall near the pinball machine? I've always wondered what that did.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Aesion posted:

Is the false floor connected to that brick in the wall near the pinball machine? I've always wondered what that did.

I knew about the floor from my first playthrough, but I don't think I've ever seen this brick. Let me look real quick.

Edit: Yeah, there's no moving brick in Jacobson's office in any of the visits to UNATCO. You must be thinking of something else.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jul 19, 2010

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

The false floor is here:

There are two entrances, just walk up and down along the right side of the desk looking at the floor until your crosshair finds the fake panels. They are ever so slightly different looking from the rest of the floor, but you won't see it unless you're looking for it, and even then it's kind of tricky. Just let the crosshair do the work.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Warren Spector is the keynote speaker at PAX 2010

http://twitter.com/cwgabriel/status/18948485912

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If you turn on your flashlight it highlights the differences between the panels and the floor itself due to the lighting. At least, that's how I found them back in the day.

e: You might have to crouch down near the area to really notice the seams though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I know what I'm doing as soon as I finish playing Half Life 2.

Shifter Mod file, finding that secret panel, meeting Morpheus and actually using the plasma rifle this time around. Is it really viable as your first choice weapon? Like is ammo any harder to come by than any other weapon?

Finally, I feel like I when first read the thread, someone mentioned a fix for the incredibly awkward pauses in all the conversations. If there is one problem I had with vanilla DX, it was the horrible in-game speech pacing. That, and the Hong Kong voices. Combined it was just.....urgh.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think plasma ammo is pretty rare, yeah. I think you'd have a hard time using it as your primary weapon. But then again I've never tried.

I discovered something interesting tonight; if you hack into smuggler's computer on your last visit to hell's kitchen (when you meet Stanton Down for the first time) you find a message addressed to you from Icarus that says "ICARUS IS LOOKING FOR YOU!" in the same staggered way that it is in that other infamous email. This is before you're even aware of Icarus. This crazy drat game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think plasma ammo is pretty rare, yeah. I think you'd have a hard time using it as your primary weapon. But then again I've never tried.

I discovered something interesting tonight; if you hack into smuggler's computer on your last visit to hell's kitchen (when you meet Stanton Down for the first time) you find a message addressed to you from Icarus that says "ICARUS IS LOOKING FOR YOU!" in the same staggered way that it is in that other infamous email. This is before you're even aware of Icarus. This crazy drat game.

When I played through, thats where I first saw an Icarus message and I was like "uhhhhhhh...O, K" and realized that the game was about to get out of control with its plot hahaha.

Retro-Future Rodent
Jul 30, 2008

Ranked 9327th out of 9328 players worldwide.
I have just spent the last three hours playing Deus Ex (and UnrealTournament99) in anaglyph stereo using the free iZ3D driver and the DX9 renderer. Apart from making myself colour blind and cross-eyed, it was awesome!

Couple examples:

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

Click here for the full 1920x1080 image.

I really like the way the DX logo looks, so I'm going to try to get a shot like that again, minus the silly crosshairs I was playing with at the time.
I've no idea if I calibrated the driver correctly, my depth perception wouldn't give me a straight answer when I was trying to tell if the images were popping out or sinking back from the screen.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

So I just reloaded a save in the Liberty Island MJ12 facility to see what was in AJ's secret stash but Paul pulled the loving alarm on me as soon as I ran back over to him :smith:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Grey Fox V2 posted:

So I just reloaded a save in the Liberty Island MJ12 facility to see what was in AJ's secret stash but Paul pulled the loving alarm on me as soon as I ran back over to him :smith:

You think that's bad? My heroic attempt to escape from the 'ton hotel was cut tragically short by Paul gunning me down in the hotel lobby after we both cleared out all the troopers.

I may or may not have accidentally grazed him once or thrice with friendly fire

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

XausF1 posted:

If you turn on your flashlight it highlights the differences between the panels and the floor itself due to the lighting. At least, that's how I found them back in the day.

e: You might have to crouch down near the area to really notice the seams though.

Yeah, that's how I found it the first time as well. Cue hours and hours and hours wasted on sweeping any subsequent shady area with my 'skultorch' in the hope of finding more secret stashes.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Grey Fox V2 posted:

I've had the AI flip out upon reloading a save too. At one point Maggie Chow's maid decided I had to die. At that point I didn't realize I was going to have to gently caress with Maggie anyway, so I thought something was going to be screwed up by me having to put her down. It's a lucky thing it all worked out, since it was my only recent save.

I mean geez, I didn't step on the cat on purpose when I was looting her bedroom. :(

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tentaclesex posted:

I've had the AI flip out upon reloading a save too. At one point Maggie Chow's maid decided I had to die. At that point I didn't realize I was going to have to gently caress with Maggie anyway, so I thought something was going to be screwed up by me having to put her down. It's a lucky thing it all worked out, since it was my only recent save.

She is supposed to go hostile if you snoop around too much.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

BattleMaster posted:

She is supposed to go hostile if you snoop around too much.

Oh wow, I assumed the contrary because people are generally so cool with you acting like a videogame character. It did seem like she was totally fine until I saved and came back, but that would explain it too.

Deus Ex: :pwn:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

tentaclesex posted:

Oh wow, I assumed the contrary because people are generally so cool with you acting like a videogame character. It did seem like she was totally fine until I saved and came back, but that would explain it too.

Deus Ex: :pwn:

It may well have been bugged in your case, but I've definitely had her start yelling at me and then pull a gun on me shortly after for messing around the apartment.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
IIRC, I once tased the maid as soon as I entered and then blew Maggie apart, only to find her alive again later at VL. Is that possible or did I just mess up the savegames?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Underflow posted:

IIRC, I once tased the maid as soon as I entered and then blew Maggie apart, only to find her alive again later at VL. Is that possible or did I just mess up the savegames?

Probably a bug. The encounter with her at the UC and the conversation between her and Page in the labs normally don't happen if she'd dead at that point.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

BattleMaster posted:

Probably a bug. The encounter with her at the UC and the conversation between her and Page in the labs normally don't happen if she'd dead at that point.

Ah, okay. That same game I had 'bring the sword to TT' listed as an unfulfilled mission goal to the very end, so bug it is then.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Conversation with who in the what now!? Don't tell me I have to replay this poo poo again.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Conversation with who in the what now!? Don't tell me I have to replay this poo poo again.

You shouldn't need a reason to replay Deus Ex.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
We should make a list of stuff that's easily missed for replays.

I just found an Augmentation Upgrade canister in the underwater section underneath Vandenberg, that I never knew existed. I don't think I'd even seen that huge area before.

I also only just discovered that Shifter lets you upgrade Augs using canisters of the same type. So late! Damnit. :(

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Chakron posted:

Forgot to add, I didn't use any prior knowledge of door codes. All legit. If you're up for a challenge this is definitely the way to go. I don't want to spoil anything, but if you want to know how to get through specific parts ask me and I'll /spoiler it. Pretty fun :shobon:

Reminds me, I ran away from Gunther. While chasing me, Gunther bumped into a GEP solider, who took offense to it and completely obliterated him. Then the solider just walked away :psyduck:

My last encounter with Gunther was pretty funny.

I put LAMs on the edge of the stair hand rail and backed a way. He ran up and it started the cut scene. He got about 3 words out before they blew up and killed him (and blew my legs off) and ended the cut scene.

Poor bastard never saw it coming...

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Lowen SoDium posted:

My last encounter with Gunther was pretty funny.

I put LAMs on the edge of the stair hand rail and backed a way. He ran up and it started the cut scene. He got about 3 words out before they blew up and killed him (and blew my legs off) and ended the cut scene.

Poor bastard never saw it coming...

I do the same thing with Anna on the plane.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Grey Fox V2 posted:

When you're invading Versalife for the first time, there's a glass wall separating the area with the walkways above the labs from an inaccessible corridor. Page and Chow can be seen through the glass and if you approach they'll have a conversation with each other (this is the conversation where you hear Page mention Icarus for the first time, making the e-mail you find on Smuggler's computer that much more eerie).

Edit: spoiled for those playing for the first time

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Okay, this is a weird and annoying save game bug.

Now when I save, only the most recent save game and some old save games appear on the load list. So now I effectively have one save slot. Any ideas for a fix?

Also, should note that I'm using Deus Exe and Biomod.

EDIT: Okay, looks like Deus EXE has a save game numbering system that only goes up to 1000. After that, It can only save over save 1000. Renaming the folder makes it unable to recognize the save. Fun Times. Any ideas?

EDIT 2: Fixed it by deleting everything in the save folder, loading from a quicksave, and saving. The save numbers have started over at 0001

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 20, 2010

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
A little late on the AJ cupboard discussion, but I like how it plays out. You can guess his user name from the format everyone else uses (first initial, last name) and his password, Calvo, is on a poster on the wall by his desk. If you check his email, there's a reminder he sent to himself that his closet password is 2001. Or you can hack the computer to get the password, or you can multitool the door. There's no lockpicking or brute force solution to this little puzzle, which may be intentional because AJ is a techy nerd so the three possible solutions are all techy.

Mmm, that's good game design.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Supreme Court posted:

We should make a list of stuff that's easily missed for replays.

I just found an Augmentation Upgrade canister in the underwater section underneath Vandenberg, that I never knew existed. I don't think I'd even seen that huge area before.-----------------------------------

That area is one of the few reasons to take a level of Swimming. It's pretty hard if you have none. (unless you were carrying a rebreather).

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

Gynovore posted:

That area is one of the few reasons to take a level of Swimming. It's pretty hard if you have none. (unless you were carrying a rebreather).

Regeneration solves all your problems. The drowning noise does get annoying after a while though.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Carbohydrates posted:

A little late on the AJ cupboard discussion, but I like how it plays out. You can guess his user name from the format everyone else uses (first initial, last name) and his password, Calvo, is on a poster on the wall by his desk. If you check his email, there's a reminder he sent to himself that his closet password is 2001. Or you can hack the computer to get the password, or you can multitool the door. There's no lockpicking or brute force solution to this little puzzle, which may be intentional because AJ is a techy nerd so the three possible solutions are all techy.

Mmm, that's good game design.

Personally -- and I know this sounds like the Fallout 3 people bloo-blooing about there being fast travel that they were FORCED to use -- I think that computer hacking and multitools made everything too easy. I'd never noticed the password on Alex's poster, because I just hacked my way through to any emails and multitooled any wall panels. I've gotten through without being able to hack computers, but they give you so many loving multitools and lockpicks, and you start out with the ability to use them...I've never gone through without any of the techy skills.

Maybe I should try that one next...

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar

orange lime posted:

Personally -- and I know this sounds like the Fallout 3 people bloo-blooing about there being fast travel that they were FORCED to use -- I think that computer hacking and multitools made everything too easy. I'd never noticed the password on Alex's poster, because I just hacked my way through to any emails and multitooled any wall panels. I've gotten through without being able to hack computers, but they give you so many loving multitools and lockpicks, and you start out with the ability to use them...I've never gone through without any of the techy skills.

Maybe I should try that one next...

DX would really benefit, in retrospect, for skill combinations for just this reason. For all the praise, it's pretty easy to break certain areas into computer room, tool room, lockpick room and zone out.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Le Sean posted:

DX would really benefit, in retrospect, for skill combinations for just this reason. For all the praise, it's pretty easy to break certain areas into computer room, tool room, lockpick room and zone out.

Unless your only skills are Heavy Weapons and Melee, then you just gotta blow poo poo up :hellyeah:

Fnoigy
Apr 9, 2007

I'm fine. Why do you ask?
I must REALLY suck at the game, because unless I carefully ration everything, I'm always almost out of lockpicks, multitools and/or biocells. Of course, if I'm trying to ration them, I'm always almost full, or AM full, kinda like the big gun ammo in every other game I've ever played.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

CaptainRat posted:

When you're invading Versalife for the first time, there's a glass wall separating the area with the walkways above the labs from an inaccessible corridor. Page and Chow can be seen through the glass and if you approach they'll have a conversation with each other (this is the conversation where you hear Page mention Icarus for the first time, making the e-mail you find on Smuggler's computer that much more eerie).

Edit: spoiled for those playing for the first time
All I saw was Page and Simons but I think they bugged out because they didn't say anything.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

orange lime posted:

A bit OT, but what is it with the 'no fast travel' mods for Oblivion and Fallout? JUST DON'T USE IT!!!!!!!eleven!!!

Content; DX is a bit loose with the lockpicks and multitools in the first half or so, especially if you like to explore. From Vandenberg onward, however, there are quite a few goodie caches with 50-100% locks and no other way to open them.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Fnoigy posted:

I must REALLY suck at the game, because unless I carefully ration everything, I'm always almost out of lockpicks, multitools and/or biocells. Of course, if I'm trying to ration them, I'm always almost full, or AM full, kinda like the big gun ammo in every other game I've ever played.

If this happens even when you do your exploring and vary between tools and brute force, you could reload after you find yet another locker with only cigarettes or candybars. It's not really cheating; it's your savegame and you've a right to use it, so don't let those level designers grind you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Underflow posted:

If this happens even when you do your exploring and vary between tools and brute force, you could reload after you find yet another locker with only cigarettes or candybars. It's not really cheating; it's your savegame and you've a right to use it, so don't let those level designers grind you down.
:black101: